[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /a/, is "normie" or "normalfag" the better

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: purer.png (2MB, 1920x1090px) Image search: [Google]
purer.png
2MB, 1920x1090px
Hey /a/, is "normie" or "normalfag" the better translation for "riajuu"?
>>
>>154358088
One is appropriate for professional translations of products being sold to the public.

Also normie rolls off the tongue much better than normalfag.
>>
normalfriend

normie is the reddit friendly use of normalfag and normalfag is used by all the edgy kids here
>>
>>154358127
> One is appropriate for professional translators of products being sold to the public.
> The other is more accurate.
Fixed.
>>
real lifer.
>>
File: i swear im not one.png (42KB, 293x476px) Image search: [Google]
i swear im not one.png
42KB, 293x476px
>>
strictly speaking, normie is a more accurate translation of riajuu. But you shouldn't use it.
>>
Using -fag as a suffix is something that came to be with the second generation of 4channers, the kind that trickled in through post-Habbo /b/ and had the "look mommy, I'm using dirty words on the internet" mindset.
>>
normals > normalfags > normies
>>
>>154358088
Personally, I prefer normalfag but it's not really a term I'd use outside of the /a/ sphere of influence and certainly not outside of the internet.
>>
>>154361316
This, when taken more 'seriously'. I know none of it is, but 'normal' sounds the least stupid to say.
>>
>>154361352
It's not as if Nips would use riajuu during regular conversations.
It's Internet otaku slang as much as normalfag is here.
>>
>>154358088
ako is a fucking normalfag
>>
>>154358088
who fucking cares dude just be yourself lmao
>>
File: 1461911200772.jpg (90KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1461911200772.jpg
90KB, 1280x720px
>>154363634
Why do you say that?
>>
>>154358088
normie sounds better
>>
Just translate it as "normal"
>>
>>154358088
Normalfag is probably closer in sentiment and vitriol.
>>
>>154358088
slang for slang, doesnt matter since its not a real word as long as the message is brought across
>>
>>154358143
Isn't normalfriend something that bronies used?
>>
>>154363878
no
you're a newfriend
>>
Normie is the better translation. If you don't like it because you find the word obnoxious, you would find riajuu just as obnoxious if you were Japanese.
>>
>>154358265
I thought it said MALfag for a second there.
>>
>>154361316
Normal should be used in a professional product, even though CR will still probably use normie or normalfag over it.

Normalfag should be used in subs targeted towards pirate-dominated demographics like /a/.

Normie is stupid and shouldn't be used.
>>
Anything than normals is just trying to cater to certain type of audience.
>>
File: 1461009997500.png (353KB, 558x569px) Image search: [Google]
1461009997500.png
353KB, 558x569px
>I want accurate translations
>b-but not that accurate..

Oh /a/.
>>
>>154358088
Normie.

Normalfag is used to exclude people who only enjoy "normal" stuff and would not for example enjoy the things on /a/.

Normie is used by bitter people who are annoyed that other people are living normal lives and enjoying them.
>>
>>154365254
i thought "normalfag" and "normie" were mostly the same but normalfag was from old 4chan and normie was from frogposting-era 4chan (and thus reddit as well)
>>
>>154365213

/a/ just loves to be contrarian and argue about things, just like every other board. Can't please everyone.
>>
"normie" is an absolute terrible translation of it
fuck the shitty memes
>>
>>154358088
Just keep it as riajuu or use normal
Normalfag and normie are not good to use unless it's done by commie
>>
Real lifer.
>>
I hate 4chan memes in media, so something like >>154366401 or >>154366329.
>>
NORPs
Neurotypicals
Squares
Sheeple
Proles
>>
>>154358088
Unfortunately, there's no good answer to this one. "Normalfag" is chanspeak, and will come across as offensive/non-PC to most people. "Normie" is also subcultural lingo and sounds childish. "Normals" makes it sound like you're talking about people who don't have superpowers (muggles, etc.) "Casuals" is a word that has some recognition outside of the gaming community, even if it isn't quite synonymous. If it weren't so dated, "squares" might be a good fit. "Regular people", "well-adjusted people", "normal people", are all somewhat clunky, even if they are probably the closest matches.

A lot depends on your target audience. Part of the problem is that the concept of "riajuu" is generally unknown to most people, who are themselves riajuu. Even though the concept exists in the Engish language, it's only really understood by cultural outsiders. Hell, I'm don't even know if the average Jap would know what the word implied.
>>
>>154366555
>and sounds childish
not really a problem when most of the time it's being said by children
>>
File: IMG_2615.png (433KB, 708x626px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2615.png
433KB, 708x626px
>>154366679
Every time I see someone post, "normies reeeee", I imagine it being said in the voice of a severely autistic 7-year-old. So unless that's what the character speaking the line is, it's probably not the best choice.
>>
File: cry_23.jpg (46KB, 500x521px) Image search: [Google]
cry_23.jpg
46KB, 500x521px
>>154363765
>Ywn have a yandere gf.

why
>>
>>154366555
>"Normie" is also subcultural lingo and sounds childish
>the concept of "riajuu" is generally unknown to most people ... don't even know if the average Jap would know what the word implied

so raijuu is subcultural lingo?
i hate the term normie too, but it does sort of make sense in this contest. also considering how cringey ako would be in real life makes her saying normie make more sense
>>
>>154366329
>just don't translate in the translation bro
>>
>>154366555
>"Normals" makes it sound like you're talking about people who don't have superpowers (muggles, etc.)
Well, people who use these terms typically do think they're special snowflakes.
>>
>>154358088
Normie is best. Normalfag is 4chan-specific.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.