[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people like this so much? >cheesy as hell >constantly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 12

File: 77484l.jpg (107KB, 424x600px) Image search: [Google]
77484l.jpg
107KB, 424x600px
Why do people like this so much?
>cheesy as hell
>constantly beating you over the head with symbolism
>overwrought time travel plot
>drags on and on
The background art is nice, but otherwise it's just a plain romance plot.
>>
>>154181545
>a plain romance plot.
There's your answer. As far as plain romance plot goes, it's a particularly pretty one and the concept is romanticised enough, 'two people continually searching for each other' to be popular.

Overall, it was a good movie but not as great as everyone thinks it is.
>>
Why can't I find a good torrent for this bros
>>
>>154181545
>but otherwise it's just a plain romance plot.
Sort of, but with some fun quirky twists thrown in that make it interesting enough to turn the tired trope into something palatable again.
>>
Because it has the one thing that every Shinkai movie was missing and it only took 15 years to figure it out
>>
File: 45c.jpg (105KB, 680x998px) Image search: [Google]
45c.jpg
105KB, 680x998px
>>154181545
Keit-ai and kimi no nawa are the same anime?
>>
>>154181545
>overwrought time travel plot
Really? For a time travel plot it wasn't difficult to follow
>>
>>154181545
Because it is the greatest love story ever told.
>>
>yfw you realized that mitsuha was delicious cake by the time she met taki again
>>
>>154181545
>people
>one of the mosth highest-grossing Japanese anime film
>#1 MAL
>shinkai
>>
They like it for the Keit-ai meme.
>>
>>154181545
I'm not sure. It simply found a way.
>>
>>154181545
because there is so little decent romance anime

it was a decent romance anime
>>
>>154182338
Lost my shit after the Keit-ai-like twist
>>
Because it's very well done, the characters are very likable, and has a great music/art design
>>
File: 13422938402.jpg (14KB, 204x202px) Image search: [Google]
13422938402.jpg
14KB, 204x202px
>>154181962
>He fell for the meme
>>
>>154183120
Kimi no na wa is essentially Keit-ai bodyswapping time travel edition
>>
>>154181545
Because great visual.
All Shinkai movie are like that, drag in the arse plot with GOD tier visual.
>>
>>154181545
>it's just a plain romance plot.
It's literally this. Why the hell would you think too much about the symbolism and time travel plot?
>>
>>154181545
>Why do people like this so much?
Only ignorants do.
>>
>>154183626
Ignorant about what?
>>
>>154183626
Only people with high power levels don't
>>
Why didn't the hack director make it so Taki wrote his name on her hand? at the end they could've avoided the stupidity and when she asks him what his name he would reply "Taki" then the camera would pan to Mistuha and a tear would slowly start to fall down her cheek like it did to both of them earlier on in the movie and it would've ended there.
>>
>>154184165
>wanting to remove drama from a romance film
jeez I dont know anon
>>
>>154181545
>>constantly beating you over the head with symbolism
whay you mean?
>>
>>154182418
>it was a decent romance anime

>No real interaction.
>I love you more than anything

Yeah, very decent.
>>
BD when??
>>
>>154185370
The entire point is that they got to know each other by living each others lives.
This is the fundamental idea of bodyswapping romance
>>
>>154185395
September
>>
>>154185473
Yes, but if the director wanted to make it convincing he should have worked it better. The bodyswapping part is too shallow, does not last 10 minutes, and after that they are already deeply connected? C'mon!
>>
>>154183036
the character is fucking shit
the dude was like... a nice city guy that can... draw
and that's fucking it, they don't even show you much of how he lived her "life" because muh 2 minutes J pop song that not even good
>>
>>154186146
>>154185473
this so fucking much, it's like he slapped you with plot point,
>see see now they fucking love each other, you don't need to know more in a romance movie
plebs fucking loved it because they don't even need to use their brain, based shinkai fed them everything with extra pretty background and animation
>>
>>154186424
If you wan't to use your brain then go watch some sci-fi philosophical anime anon. It's not about logic, it's about how you feel when watching the movie. That means you have to turn off your brain. Jesus Christ you should spend more time away from your mom's basement and interact with some people and realize not everything needs to be deep
>>
>>154187030
(not him but) I disagree with several points of your comment:
1 - If you need to turn off the brain to appreciate something you already confirm that this thing is weak / bad.

2 - To demand a little more development and substance is not wanting something philosophical and complex, it is wanting something basic.

3 - it is shinkai himself who tries to make everything seem profound, the problem is that he does not know how to do it convincingly. then it is he who should get out of his mother's basement and try to figure out how real relationships work.
>>
>>154181545
This is the power of meme magic, /a/ is understanding the power of /pol/s wizardly influence.
>>
>>154181545
It's for people who want to share a love story together. Given the 95+ percent of you are a girlfriendless emotional train wreck, it's not gonna appeal to you.
>>
>>154188422
>It's for people who want to share a love story together
I don't think so.
It works better if you watch it alone, because having someone else with you lessens the emotional impact of the keit-ai twist
>>
File: 1488377070661.jpg (132KB, 900x718px) Image search: [Google]
1488377070661.jpg
132KB, 900x718px
>not understanding the fine art of TG/ genderswapping
>>
>>154188495
Anon you are likely a halfway depressed person with no gf who fills their emotional void with random SOL bullshit. You are NOT the target for this movie.
>>
>>154188546
it's bodyswap, which adds another layer to the whole thing
>>
>>154187713
1. Bad things can be good experiences anon e.g. cigarette
2. You need to set your expectations realistic anon. Well it's a romance movie/anime. Can't expect more from that. Plus, the "basic" is different for every genre. Romance as a whole doesn't really have that much substance(for me anyway).
3. Maybe
>>
>>154181545
Like someone said, it's the kind of movie that people who don't watch anime will think it's the best thing ever. Even my mom wants to watch it. For those of us who regularly watch anime, it's a good movie but nothing special.
>>
>>154188578
I am, but that's exactly why I love the film so much.
>>
>>154186146
It lasted weeks if not months in-universe, and on-screen it was still the first half of the movie, so like 50 minutes of the runtime.
>>
>>154191382

It was 3 months I believe
>>
>>154188578
You're full of shit because Shinkai himself is the same way. It's just a movie, why are people on this board so mentally ill?
>>
File: 1459855403003.png (3KB, 334x348px) Image search: [Google]
1459855403003.png
3KB, 334x348px
>>154187030
>That means you have to turn off your brain.
Completely unnecessary for this movie, or for any good movie. I'm pretty tired of people using this phrase, as it's gotten way more traction than it ever needed to get.

And it's pretty easy to enjoy this movie, as it's a well done love story, an interesting spin on an old trope, and has an underlying story that makes it obvious to see why it resonated with the audience it did. Honestly, sometimes I think some of you people choose to hate the things you watch.
>>
>>154186424
I'm pretty sure those pleb have more education than you'll ever get.
>>
>>154181545

Shit was funny and the music intensified some pretty good moments.

Good voice acting as well.
>>
>>154191382
>>154193388
Again: If you want to make it convincing, you have to show it. After all, the strength of your bond is what moves the plot. But Shinkai preferred to use the extra time advertising the Radwimps CD.
>>
>>154197185
>But Shinkai preferred to use the extra time advertising the Radwimps CD
Maybe it would have been helpful if you watched the movie with your eyes open next time.

But the fact that two people understanding and finding a rapport with each other is easily accelerated by physically being in each other's bodies aside, the movie showed them doing (mostly admirable) things while swapped that the other wasn't able to do. If you look at those actions as them symbolically being there WITH their counterpart instead of AS their counterpart, it's as if they were cheering each other on. I don't think it's hard to get why any two would come to care for each other after a relationship like that.

And keep in mind, all of this was being shown during the time you were apparently too caught up in Radwimps's music.
>>
>>154197511
blah blah bunch of useless words
basically you're just saying hey it has pretty animation, Shinkai already told you they loved each with a supposed 2 mins "development" so kindly fill the rest with your assumptions
btw here's more pretty animation
oh yeah and we have come to an age when people praised such story telling, in a fucking romance for god sake. Even shitty movie shounen like Naruto x Hinita sth sth has better build up, I mean they fucking dated for real, no shit.
>>
>>154196677
oh vey it's that fag with the argument "these people are critic" "these people studied muh art school"
top fucking kek so tell me what major award Kimi no wa won??? after all the actual top dog, not some try hard fuck tard, dont gave 2 shit about meme movie of the year huh?
>>
>>154187030
omg this fag actually think he don't need a brain to feel, just MUH HEART alrighty?
you are the one who need to be out of your fucking basement after you bought what Shinkai fed you with his clumsy projection of a distant love story (which the hack already did with 5cm/s, sakura, TRAIN, girl and boy WALKING PASS each other) top kek the fag had feel from that and he think it's how human interact.
>>
only losers stare at filtered photographs
>>
>>154188584
it add fuck all and badly written, he didn't even bring anything news to a genderswapping plot and used it for "hey this is why they loved each other, please fill the rest of development with, you know, how these gender bender tropes go" and called it a day
oh and wasted 2/3 of the movie for some kind of deux ex machina saliva sake which is also badly written
>>
>>154197185
Show not tell it's like storytelling 101. Shinkai is a hack.
>>
>>154198436
>deux ex machina
I mean, the supernatural elements are literally implied to be the local god acting to save the people of the village so I wouldn't call that a flaw.
>>
>>154188422
more like for losers who think a relationship needs cheap drama like
body swapping
body swapping + amnesia
body swapping + amnesia + distant love
body swapping + amnesia + distant love + time travel
body swapping + amnesia + distant love + time travel + muh red string of faith
body swapping + amnesia + distant love + time travel + muh red string of faith + a comet god?

all that fucking shit so love can be interesting? are you even human interaction?
>>
File: 1303270017958.jpg (199KB, 573x728px) Image search: [Google]
1303270017958.jpg
199KB, 573x728px
>>154197910
I don't have to say a damn thing after this.
You've basically made my argument look better than I ever could have.
>>
>>154198645
it's not about the love, that's established within the first 10 minutes.
It's not the defining factor, but a backdrop for the story.
Without it it couldn't work.
>>
>>154198533
>local god be a dick and bombed the land with a big ass hole thousand years ago. The peasant stil thought he's cool and all and worship him
>local god be a dick AGAIN and bombed the village killing most of the residents
>local god now a good guy dindu nuff, ok me save the people for some reason
oh please don't tell the the comet isn't mr god, there is literally a scene where the comet fucking turned into red string that bind our 2 mc
>>
>>154198711
oh I'm sorry it's not about love, it's about their name I guess
I mean, they repeated KIMI NO NA WA so many times, they even shouted it out loud at the end in case if some audiences sleeping and miss it am I right?
>>
>>154198651
ok so it's shit story telling I got it
>>
It's typical shinkai BUT with some actual characterisation and substance
It's great
>>
>>154198864
>the comet fucking turned into red string that bind our 2 mc
Red string is a common symbol of time and fate, not the god. The god is Musubi i.e. the knot in the thread i.e. he has the ability to change time and fate, hence plot.
>>
File: 1488571104181.png (116KB, 355x580px) Image search: [Google]
1488571104181.png
116KB, 355x580px
>>154181545
Why didn't they just look at the date on the phone?
>>
>>154181545
Same reason why people like this hack's books. Easy and pretty entertainment.
>>
>>154199167
ok I'm sorry, not the red string but the fucking red thread and knot then
it's the fucking same shit, all metaphor of how fate bind people through time and space,
so "the god" doing whatever he did, make no fucking sense, why? because he's a plot device that shinkai pulled when he needed to solve some plot point
>>
>>154199275
It's a plot device but it also ties into one of the main themes of the film so it's not out of place or anything
>>
>>154199226
You don't have to look at a date to notice that a phone is 3 years outdated. Cars and TV commercials should trigger anyone already.
>>
>>154199275
The red string of fate and the knot in the thread are two different things. The string represents fate. The god can tie a knot in the thread i.e. change fate. The comet turns into the string because it's a fated occurrence. The god intervened by switching the bodies of Mitsuha and Taki across time to save the village. It's not a random asspull to resolve an irreconcilable dead-end, it's literally the basis of the entire plot. Divine intervention is literally the reason why Taki gets to feel up Mitsuha's lovely breasts.
>>
>>154198281
Haven't watched other shinkai films before kimi no na wa except 5cm nd it bored me to death. But anon
>complaining that human interaction is romanticized in a romance anime
>>
>>154199472
did you even read what you just wrote? it made no sense yet supposed I impress people, well congrats you can work for shinkai now
>>
>>154199642
It's basic bitch symbolism dude. Thread = fate. Knotting threads together is symbolic of changing fate. The god, as grandma explains, is all about musubi, meaning knot. Mitsuha was probably chosen because she was a miko.

That's why the ending is a fun little twist, because you realise that the love story was incidental. The god was just trying to save the village, not get two teenagers to bang. The fact that they find each other again after the divine intervention ends is actually the miracle, not the village being saved since that was the purpose of the body-switching all along.
>>
>>154184165
Because Taki was a boss.
>>
>>154181545
>>cheesy as hell
>>constantly beating you over the head with symbolism
This honestly describes most anime.
>>
>>154188546
I would legit trade in a few years of life to swap into the body of a cute JK for 24 hours.
>>
>>154199439
cars do not change that much in three years my man
>>
>>154181783
Good character design?
>>
>>154181962
No they're not
>>
>>154200102
But seriously, why is anime so awful at subtly using symbolism?
>>
>>154197511
What you saw with your eyes wide open was a fucking 5-minute montage, not a real interaction.

Shinkai is so weak that he treats the fundamental idea of the film superficially.
>>
>>154181672

There's no BD rip, you cuck.
>>
>>154199275
>so "the god" doing whatever he did, make no fucking sense, why? because he's a plot device that shinkai pulled when he needed to solve some plot point
Sounds like every god.
>>
>>154201060
well the subtly one went to make real movie
>>
>>154201410
Takahata is more subtle then Shinkai.
>>
File: 1488179620599.jpg (159KB, 1884x1060px) Image search: [Google]
1488179620599.jpg
159KB, 1884x1060px
Kimi no oscar
>>
>>154201060
Most anime are melodramatic and idealist rather than realist, like a medieval romance. It's a stylistic choice, so I wouldn't really call it awful out of hand. For some reason idealism has underappreciated in the West (especially Europe) for several decades now, outside of certain niches like genre fantasy.
>>
>>154201633
But there are ways and ways to use melodrama and idealism. It all depends on the level of subtlety. Makoto Shinkai is not subtle at all. The monologues, the gratuitous camera movements, the sappy songs.
>>
>>154201844
I won't dispute that it's unsubtle, but I'm not sure there's such a thing as subtle melodrama because the characters, plot, setting, etc. are all strongly symbolic. Criticising it for being unsubtle seems like approaching the film on the wrong terms.

I think idealism can be deep, but almost never subtle. For example, I would consider 'The Magic Mountain' by Thomas Mann to be an idealist novel and it's plenty heavy, but Settembrini very unsubtly goes on and on about Enlightenment ideology for ages because he symbolises a certain archetype of European man at that stage in history and Mann wants you to understand that.

As for Kimi no Na wa, I don't think it has a great deal of substance, but it's plenty cute and I like sentimental movies about cosmic optimism—miracles can happen, lovers reunite, childhood promises are repaired. One thing I like about Japanese popular culture vs. Western is that they're not obsessed with gritty realism. Most anime and indeed most Japanese media are intended to console rather than disturb or undermine.
>>
Two main problems:

1) The movie could've easily ended with Turkey on the mountain, wondering what happened, and then Mitsubishi climbs up towards him and says wazzap and then it ends. Everything after that point was a waste of screentime.

2) The body swapping fun and games part of the movie was replaced by a fucking montage
>>
>>154202563
I agree with the second point but come on, fuck that.
>>
>>154202308
I think it can can. Just compare the films of Ozu with those of Almodovar. Both talk about family tragedies in an incredibly different way. Where the first uses restraint to get where he wants, the other loves exaggerations.
>>
>>154202849
I wouldn't consider Ozu's film to be melodramas. They're quite naturalist, almost like Chekov or Ibsen.
>>
>>154202308
>Most anime and indeed most Japanese media are intended to console
That's honestly boring.
>>
>>154202308
(not him but) guys like gray and eastwood have been for years showing that melodrama can be made on low heat.

but the real problem with shinkai is that he does not know how to build relationships. everything feels contrived in his films.
>>
>>154203537
>low heat
Not sure what you mean by this. Eastwood's films are definitely quieter than Shinkai's, but they're not especially subtle or opaque. They're not as aggressively sentimental (sappy RADWIMPS songs etc.), but that's a different question.

In any case, my broader point is that criticism of Shinkai on the basis of sentimentality OR subtlety seem more like genre criticisms rather than something specific to his work. You could say the exact same thing about anything written by Key/Jun Maeda, for example.
>>
>>154202308
>because the characters, plot, setting, etc. are all strongly symbolic.
So what would you call the difference between an approach that lets me interpret the symbolism, and an approach that hammers the symbolism on my face?
>>
>>154203900
How about "cheap", than?
>>
>>154203985
It's the gradient of realism vs. idealism. At one end the stories are detailed, realistic, with mundane everyday character and unassuming use of symbolism, and at the other end they advance a program of ideas explicitly through archetypal characters, high-falutin' dialogue about knots binding and unwinding in the thread of time and fate, and the use of plot as a means of expressing some kind of overarching philosophy. Most writing is somewhere in between, but both are legit. You can do things with the latter that you can't with former and vice versa.

>>154204376
Depends what you mean by 'cheap'.
>>
File: bale.gif (498KB, 245x240px) Image search: [Google]
bale.gif
498KB, 245x240px
>>154201509

I still can't believe that there are people who believe this film is anything other than a shitty cash-grabbing flick that preys on casuals.

>plebs calling this shit the best anime film of 2016
> 40th Japan Academy Animation of the year comes out
>Kono sekai no katsumi ni
Shinkai fans BTFO
>>
>>154204647
>Depends what you mean by 'cheap'.
He use a 5 minute montage to fake a love that we did not see being built.
He wrote "I love you" in the hand of one of the characters, to fake a love that we did not see being built.
He use a sad voiceover to fake a love that we did not see being built.
He use a fluffy song on the soundtrack to fake a love that we did not see being built.

Stuff like that.
>>
>>154203900
Now, what's your definition of subtlety?
>>
>>154200176
What if Taki never went to sleep?
>>
>>154204728
You mean that "MUH NIPPON DIDIN DO NUFFIN" movie? Of course that's going to win.

Guest what? Rape of Nanking never happen.
>>
>>154203900
>In any case, my broader point is that criticism of Shinkai on the basis of sentimentality OR subtlety seem more like genre criticisms rather than something specific to his work.
So what are you saying is that all the melodramas are full of sentimentality and have no subtlety at all? By this logic there is no way to know which are good and which are bad.
>>
>>154205047
Even if you do drugs to stay awake your body will eventually pass out.
>>
>>154204900
Yeah, fair enough. I don't agree but it's a criticism that evaluates the movie in terms of its genre and what it's trying to achieve.

>>154204958
I'm using it in the sense of the stylistic and thematic obliqueness of a work. Ulysses is a very subtle novel because it's told in enigmatic and roundabout ways. Ozu's movies are subtle because they use mundane characters to communicate their themes through understated dialogue and ordinary encounters without any high drama or action. Etc.

Some works are not supposed to be subtle in this way. It doesn't mean much to me for people to say that Fate/stay night is unsubtle because of course it is. It's thematically very rich but it's very long and ponderous with its philosophy. I guess people don't have to like that kind of storytelling, but that's why I say it's more of a genre criticism. Criticising this movie for being unsubtle isn't necessarily wrong, but it's a criticism of the kind of movie that it is rather than the movie itself; I don't think a movie that uses sappy love songs as BGM was ever going to be very understated or opaque.

>>154205864
>all the melodramas are full of sentimentality and have no subtlety at all
That's what melodramas are. It's a bit of a dated term, and a bit too pejorative, but yeah, exaggerated archetypal characters and sentimental scenarios that appeal to the emotions are rarely subtle. I'd say good melodrama is generally more clever and stylish, with stronger characters, like Gone with the Wind, which is still a very sentimental movie. I should note that I don't consider sentimentality or subtlety to be inherently positive or negative things but as creative choices.
>>
>>154181545
Agreed. I fucking hated 5cm per second too. I don't get the hype with makoto shinkai films. But to each their own, I guess.
>>
>>154206845
Thanks man. I think Shinkai's works don't please me because they lack that cleverness. Most of them don't have a plot, they are more mundane, closer than what Ozu does. A boy missing a girl. That's it. So when the director chooses a more heavy hand way, trying to force feelings with his aesthetic choices, that ruins everything to me.
>>
>>154204900
>He wrote "I love you" in the hand of one of the characters, to fake a love that we did not see being built.
I think that if you read the novel it would have been more obvious.
Part of the benefit of print media is that you can have far more internal exposition on characters parts which can help you understand them better rather than in visual media where heavy exposition and narration is bad and it pretty much has to be shown to you.

Taki's growing concern and desperation while he is searching for Mitsuha's home town make his feelings pretty obvious before he writes it on her hand. I absolutely loved it when that was revealed.

If you are mad about anything it should be that he didn't pick up the marker immediately and write her name on his hand.
>>
Its the Titanic of anime. Sometimes something just sticks.
>>
>>154209072
Both has pair of boobs
>>
>>154209072
That might be giving it too much credit.
>>
>>154181545
I liked it because the later half of the movie was a pretty interesting twist on the body swapping trope. I knew going in that they were offset by a few years, but not that Mitsuha was already dead. The drama of having one last chance to swap and go back to save hundreds of lives including woman you love was really exciting. Also the music was good. Overall it left me sad and wishing I had a girlfriend. I'll probably watch it again in theaters next month and again when it's out on BD.

I feel sorry for whoever has to translate it though. Right now even the official subs are an inch away from "TL Note: 'Watashi' is a feminine first person pronoun."
>>
>>154181545

Because it´s a real anime movie, not just recap of some 12 episodes anime aired in television or CR.
>>
>>154181545

>Why do people like this so much?

I think people that love this movie have a real relationships with boyfriends/girlfriends or husband or wife. You hate this movie because you are other internet anon that claim romance is obsolete and prefer a egocentric existence of zero love and childfree.
Thread posts: 118
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.