[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weekly Shonen Jump Newbies thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: Weekly Shonen Jump 13-2017.jpg (11KB, 171x250px) Image search: [Google]
Weekly Shonen Jump 13-2017.jpg
11KB, 171x250px
This week's dump here: >>154008373

So far we have:
-We Never Learn
-U19
-Demon Prince Poro's Diaries
-Hungry Marie

Still to go are:
-Dr. Stone
-RobotxLaserbeam

So what do you guys think? Who will last? Who will fail? Who will get cancelled after just one volume?
>>
>>154029444

- Tan tomboys are great. I hope she wins.
- U19 was alright this week but I cant see it making it past one or two volumes.
- Poro was terrible this week, turning it into a battle shonen is a horrible idea.
- I think it's too early to tell with Marie.
>>
Already discussed the other 3 to death so I'm just gonna talk about Hungrie Marie, which honestly had a fucking garbage chapter 1. I'm gonna keep reading it, but man that was a disaster. The tone and genre are all over the place, the pacing was really bad, it's just not a good chapter. And anyway, what the fuck is the point of it involving Marie Antoinette's daughter, specifically? It's just some garbage gender-bender shit, which isn't anywhere near a strong enough premise, and that specific historical character doesn't add anything to it, so what the fuck? It's too stupid, I don't think it's even going to last 10 chapters. But then again JP shit taste must be accounted for.
>>
>>154029444
I have high hopes for Marie
>>
File: 1487914591148.png (22KB, 440x433px) Image search: [Google]
1487914591148.png
22KB, 440x433px
>>154029444
>We Never Learn
I felt like it was the best out of the four we got so far. The main character's motivations of trying to dig out of poverty for his family is mixed with his eventual attraction to the two main girls. This make his intentions not just realistic but for a lot of people in similar situations it makes him relatable. He's the perfect character for this kind of premise. While I have nothing but praise for the main character, the two main girls aren't as developed as him in the first chapter. Since it's the first chapter that's usually the case but while the girls are cute, their personalities fit into common tropes in romance manga. If the artist has plans on making the girls' backstories as interesting as the main character then I would say this could become something that rivals Nisekoi. There's already hints on the background the girls come from with the short cuts of their homes. I have high hopes for this one, as long as it doesn't just resort to rehashing tropes for characters then I'm sure it'll last for awhile.
>U19
I think it was the KFC CEO who said that he's glad people are upset about the resturant, because at least they're talking about it. That's the kind of vibe I get from U19. The characters seem fairly uninteresting with the premise being a worst KND. Even though the main character confessed to his crush it lacked the impact other confessions had. It might be because of how early it was but most it I believe was because how it never really felt earned. Most of his relationship with his crush was either summed up in flashbacks or left for us to assume. That said, the antagonists in it seem really two-dimensional, beiing evil for the sake of being evil. Despite this I still want to see where it'll go, not because of the first chapter but since it somehow it got passed by the editors at Shonen Jump. If it doesn't get any better I hope to God it gets dropped.
>>
File: 1487735320564.jpg (26KB, 543x465px) Image search: [Google]
1487735320564.jpg
26KB, 543x465px
>>154030276
>Demon Prince Poro's Diaries
It's basically if Mob Psycho was written by a really horny fujoshi. If it continues as a gag manga which I think is what it is then I'm sure cute girls in Japan will read it. Shonen Jump is aimed towards boys but winning the interests of the female demographic makes sense. But if it becomes a more battle orientated manga then like I said earlier, people will just be reminded on how Mob Psycho did it better. Either way more girls are reading Shonen Jump so this might be the start of a more diverse type of manga featured in it. Poro will probably last a while and might even get an anime to try and tap into the demand for stuff like it. I won't be reading anymore but that's because I can't stop thinkign about the vibrator he was holding earlier. Just rubbed me the wrong way.
>Hungry Marie
More of a prologue than an actual first chapter but it's the author of Beelzebub so I'm sure it'll be interesting somehow. The first chapter was 54 pages but it felt like only 30 pages of content. I can't remember if Beelzebub was like that too. I hope it turns into something worth lasting since the author's reputation might be enough to sell the story to people. The ending of Beelzebub was kind of a mess so that might not be right.
>>
>>154030067
Hungry Marie would have been better in a monthly magazine or if the chapter had been longer. I think its author is expecting more leeway than some of of the others and feels like he'll have time to flesh it out. Whereas U19 and Poro have just had very mediocre and generic starts.
>>
>>154030474

>if the chapter had been longer

It was 52 fuckin pages, dude, if you can't make an interesting plot premise in that period of time then what the are you gonna do when you only have 18? I really, really hope the author goes somewhere with it fast because all the first chapter amounted to was "the MC gets turned into Marie Antoinette's younger sister for no real reason."
>>
>http://www.strawpoll.me/12431868
So, we had a worst series poll, but which one is the best?
http://www.strawpoll.me/12434776
>>
>>154030619
Yeah I'm retarded I didn't realize the chapter actually that long. I guess it felt short because there was a lot of unnecessary filler in it.
>>
>>154030707

I think the reason it felt so short is because it jumped around so much. All the illustrations so far pointed to it being a battle series, but then it starts out with a romance, then there's a random 6 year time-skip (but the characters still look pretty much the same after it?), then there's some school shit, another genre shift into comedy, then suddenly the MC is being offered up as a sacrifice? History comes up but why? And then he just randomly gets turned into a girl, but what's that really going to mean? Is there still territory left to explore in the gender-bender genre?

The biggest crime to me is that everything made it look like the main girl was going to be Marie, but that's actually the MC and the main girl is just some bland forgettable girl with a really plain design. Will he be able to swap genders on the fly?
>>
Which one do you want to survive the most? Because it's gonna be a bloodbath.
>>
>>154030944

Probably Benkyou.
>>
>>154030795
I'm guessing sweets or food have something to do with the transformation but that's pretty obvious. I can see it working out if Marie is a separate personality, and has her own thoughts rather than it being just a straight physical transformation. It does feel more like a battle shonen than a romance though.

>>154030944
I hope We Never Learn makes it. The art is decent enough, and the author has a fairly short time frame to work within since they all graduate in less than one year. I don't think it will last as long as Nisekoi did (which is probably for the better) but at the same time I can see it lasting long enough to die a natural death.
>>
>>154031195
I'm willing to bet Hungry Marie will be gag/parody battle shounen.
>>
>>154030944
u19 ofcourse.
>>
All 6 is shit even the bochi and ES21 one.
>>
>>154033151
But the last 2 aren't even out yet.
>>
>>154029444
I guess my standards are really low because I thought all four were alright.
>>
>>154029444
I'm giving Poro a few more weeks before I drop it. Gag manga sometimes take longer to hit their stride.
>>
File: 1477567800384.png (140KB, 545x395px) Image search: [Google]
1477567800384.png
140KB, 545x395px
>>154029444
>We Never Learn
It's fine so far but I'll probably drop it soon since I don't want to read Nisekoi 2.0 and it looks like it's heading that direction. genki tomboy best girl though
>U19
Uninteresting, looks generic.
>Demon Prince Poro's Diaries
This one is the worst, absolute garbage. Terrible art, boring unoriginal story, not funny.
>Hungry Marie
I'll keep reading that because I loved Beelze. Don't have much hopes for it though, just hope it will be funny.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.