[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: We mention one thing we don't like or consider a flaw

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

ITT: We mention one thing we don't like or consider a flaw in our favorite show.

To me that thing in Evangelion would be the character designs. There's lots of things to like about the aesthetics of the series. The great mecha/kaiju designs, the more trippy sequences, framing, composition and editing. But I feel in contrast to all of this the character designs are rather generic and uninteresting. They also lack this general cohesion that lots of other shows like Lain, Casshern, Utena or TTGL have. It looks as if each character was done by a seperate person and then someone redrew them all with the similar facial style.
>>
You are out of your mind. Sadamoto is on a league of his own.
>>
>>153708746
Really? I thought the character designs were great.
Asuka, Misato, Rei, Gendo, and Kaworu particularly stuck out to me.

I guess Shinji's is a bit generic for an MC, but I think that was the point.
>>
>>153708980
I have mixed feelings about him. In FLCL, Honneamise and Diebuster his designs worked great and have a certain unity to them but in Eva and his work with Hasoda they just lack that and look rather generic.

I mean just look at the characters of the shows I mentioned or something like Kaiba, Tatami Galaxy, Bebop or Angel's Egg. Not only are none of them generic but they all fit perfectly together, share color palettes and have a unique, specific style.
>>
>>153708746
I didn't really have a problem with the designs themselves. I had several other problems with EVA (particularly episodes 25 and 26 holy shit) but the designs weren't it.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
I think Cowboy Bepop is a wonderful show and that it's more clever and well-written than people give it credit for. And I'll defend even the show's more questionable choices like episodes such as Boogie Woogie Feng Shui, or Julia and Vicious being extremely bland characters.

But while I can't really say I dislike this, episodes 2, 3 and 4 feel a bit stale and poor when compared to what comes after, and I've spoken to people who dropped Cowboy Bepop entirely because of these episodes. They aren't really bad episodes, they are like this for a reason and they are essencial for establishing part of the show's characteristics. But they are generally forgettable and not terribly interesting.
>>
>>153708746
I really like the designs. They're very distinctive. And were made the basis for countless other clones.
>>
File: b37.gif (443KB, 500x269px) Image search: [Google]
b37.gif
443KB, 500x269px
>>153709647
I wholeheartedly agree with this on some regard, I did find Ep. 3 somewhat interesting since it introduces Faye, but Ep. 2 and 4 are really, really lackluster if we look at the latter episodes.
>>
File: Mama Yui.jpg (421KB, 1000x1421px) Image search: [Google]
Mama Yui.jpg
421KB, 1000x1421px
Oh come on, my dude. Their design is literally iconic.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.