[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /a/ what's your opinion? When and anime is set in a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1456531578130.jpg (21KB, 326x298px) Image search: [Google]
1456531578130.jpg
21KB, 326x298px
Hey /a/ what's your opinion?
When and anime is set in a setting where people are supposed to be speaking English I tend to go for the dub and everyone tells me the dub is better.

But I am watching the dub for pic related and the voice work sounds god awful. Does it get better or did I fall for a meme?
>>
>>152955616
It doesnt
>>
>>152955616
Obviously, just because something has a western setting doesn't mean it will have a good dub. A few have (Bebop, Baccano, Hellsing) but it's by no means a guarantee.
>>
>>152956113
>Bebop, Baccano, Hellsing
Don't forget Code Geass and Trigun.
But maybe that's just because I love Bosch's voice.
>>
>>152955616

>where people are supposed to be speaking English I tend to go for the dub and everyone tells me the dub is better.
>the dub is better.

You really did fall for the meme anon.

You need to understand the circumstances in which dubs are made because even if the characters are supposed to be speaking English, 9 times out of 10 the dub VAs are recording their lines separately. There's no one else to play off of and the line delivery ends up sounding stilted and unnatural. On top of that. the script has to match the lip movements of the characters giving you awfully written scripts that don't flow well most of the time. These and other conditions make it nearly impossible for a dub to sound good. At best, they rival the Japanese source.

There are some anime that defy this norm, but most do not.
>>
I vastly prefer subs on just about everything for the simple reason that it's harder for me, a non-speaker, to tell when the acting is bad.
>>
>>152956041
>>152956113
>>152956203
>>152956227
Thanks guys. Good to know /a/ isn't all cancerous hipsters.

Last question. Does anyone where I can find good subs because the ones I am watching are pretty bad. Some lines just make no sense and when I was watching the dub the line was completely different and made much more sense.
>>
>>152956287

>Good to know /a/ isn't all cancerous hipsters.

Recognizing the people with opinions that are based on empirical evidence isn't difficult.

>Does anyone where I can find good subs

You're really new aren't you. The only recommendation I'll give you is to use nyaa.se

Figure out the rest for yourself and use google.
>>
>>152955616
>awful
If we're talking about everyone who isn't the main two characters then yeah, I agree.

But otherwise I dunno what you mean.
>>
>>152956287
Subs never match the dub unless they're shitty dubtitles. Dub lines are completely different and generally they flow better because a conscious effort had to be made to take the Japanese, translate it decently, and then modify its meaning for the duration of the line/mouth flaps so that the English VA can then say it. Subtitles just take the translation.
>>
>>152955616
The dub turns the characters into J. Michael Tatum and Bitchy Wolf McBitch. Holo's insults do not translate well.

Watch the dub if you have to though.
>>
>>152956321
>You're really new aren't you
I mostly spend time on /v/ and /b/

I've come to /a/ occasionally throughout the years, usually if there was a show I was really digging and wanted to discuss it with people in a general thread but most of my experiences outside of those threads were negative so I tend not to stick around.
>>
>>152956562
Not really.

Tatum is better for ridiculous characters, but here he plays a straight man. Bit out of place for him DESU, he should basically play Issac from Baccano 24/7.

Holo's English VA is great tho.
>>
>>152956622
Oh Tatum is great for sure, I watched the dub first, three times, and it's the first role I heard him in.

Holo isn't bad in the dub either, she's just... a totally different character.

I think it's such a nuanced show you're missing out if you if you've got a bad translation, and it's so talkative you can afford to turn on subs.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.