[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

People don't ACTUALLY like this right? They just pretend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 20

File: e.jpg (2MB, 3000x1692px) Image search: [Google]
e.jpg
2MB, 3000x1692px
People don't ACTUALLY like this right? They just pretend to so they say they have patrician taste and love DEEP COMPLEX anime right?

Because it isn't good.
>>
It wasn't deep. But it was pretty good.
>>
It's good, though.
>>
>>152847740
This. It has a pretty clear-cut message and if you fail to understand it and assume it's deep you must be fucking retarded or something.
>>
You could've tried a lot harder with this bait. I doubt this thread will last long.
>>
It was a pretty fun, straightforward watch, but the art style means it's surrounded on all sides with idiots who want to be mature for not liking moe ("MANIME, finally, real art, enough waifu shit, go fuck your billow #butthurt") and bigger idiots who think they're mature for preferring moe ("adulthood is not caring/i have more sophisticated, nuanced preferences than you, betcha can't even tell frip frappers from madoka scrub, deepness isn't why real otaku watch anime anyways")

So it's been ruined
>>
>>152847740
>>152847764
Not OP, but no, it really isn't. The main theme is one touched upon by so much literature, it's amazing people had never heard something like it. Mind you, the fact that they beat you over the head with it is bad enough.
>>
File: 4256432.jpg (84KB, 796x720px) Image search: [Google]
4256432.jpg
84KB, 796x720px
>muh college life
>good
Most of /a/ thinks it's good because they relate to Watashi's pathetic life in college. They're idiots who fell for the college meme. Good thing I realized school was a fucking scam when I was a teenager and dropped out of middle school.
>>
File: 1429984646851.jpg (52KB, 600x604px) Image search: [Google]
1429984646851.jpg
52KB, 600x604px
>>152847792
Thanks anon I forgot that "unique" and "good" are synonyms
>>
>>152847740
it was boring. 99% of it is talking
>>
>>152847892
welcome to anime
>>
>>152847708
it was good though
>>
i liked it
>>
>>152847708
ITT: stop liking things I don't understand.
>>
File: FortuneTeller.png (103KB, 225x319px) Image search: [Google]
FortuneTeller.png
103KB, 225x319px
>>152847708
Why was she such a fucking jew?
>>
>>152847884
Lost, are you? Let me illustrate:
Not only is the theme cliche, the execution of it isn't good. We don't need to see all the possible paths in order to understand that "being alive is fun; I was having fun doing all those things!"

Watashi is really idiosyncratic, and I get that's what the author was going for, but seeing him lament what he perceives to be a waste of time, or seeing him cuck himself, and in the end going "gee, that sure is better than existing all by myself" is something I did not appreciate.

Again, I feel like the reading aspect of this is essential, because it has been done before, and better. And many people talk about the idea being "original," when it isn't.

For example, T.S. Eliot does it way better in "The Wasteland."
>>
>TTG
>deep
sup underage kun
>>
>>152848427
Sounds to me like the message went over your head.
>>
>>152848533
you probably didn't even read anything he said lmao
>>
>>152847708
I don't think anyone claims this is a deep, complex story, at least I haven't seen it put forth on /a/. It's mainly praised for its visual direction. It's almost as if this is a bait thread.
>>
>>152847708
only people who think it's DEEP are the types who dwell on the last episode and not, you know, all the other ones.

kinda wasteful considering how fun all the other episodes were
>>
Haven't finished it yet. I felt I lost interest after the pyramidal scheme episode. Did the "evil friend" get any comeuppance?
>>
>>152848766
he gets trolled in the last scene
>>
>>152848766
turns out the "evil friend" wasn't evil at all
>>
>>152848766
Yeah he's not really evil
>>
>>152848533
And it sounds to me like you don't know how to argue.

Ok, you presented your conclusion. But what's your argument. Please, enlighten me with your arcane knowledge of this series that is so hard to understand, you and the author form the coterie of humans that actually got it. Or call me an idiot for not understanding.

Go on, ball's on your court, bitch.
>>
>>152848556
Made me laugh.
>>
Fa-su-to contact
Wa-su-to contact

Only thing I remember from this show
>>
>>152847708
If I can understand it is automatically disqualified in being a deep anime

if you can't understand it despite that then that just means you're not as smart as me, meaning you're basically a retard since I'm not the most clever person
>>
>>152848427
It sounds like you're judging the totality of the anime based on its premise more than anything else.
>>
>>152847708
It's not actually deep or complicated anon. There're legitimate reasons to dislike it but if you disliked it because it went over your head, there is a serious problem with your attention span.
>>
>>152848831
Look at you being all grandiose.

>being alive is fun; I was having fun doing all those things
>gee, that sure is better than existing all by myself
If that's all you took away, there's no use explaining it. The message isn't a deep one but its considerably larger than that.

>comparing tatami galaxy to the fucking wasteland
lel
>>
>>152848876
I think you're pretty intelligent my man.
>>
>>152849055
The situations and Watashi being alone are supposed to illustrate that one shouldn't worry about social appearances, be worried that things aren't going to plan, etc. The message in essence is YOLO; just live life and see where it takes you, lose the expectations.

Wow, funky art and a romantic plot, 10/10.

And yes I made the comparison. Why does it strike you as funny?

Again, you don't really know how to argue, do you?
>>
>>152849168
That's not the message, that's MC's motivation for reaching the message.
Relax, even I don't feel like the show is perfect. You're just outing yourself as a contrarian.

You compared a 1 cour anime to intellectual work from the 1920s, of course its funny. Stop trying to claim any kind of high ground.
>>
I feel the same way. It wasn't thought provoking, it wasn't funny, the characters were shallow, it was just one of the most "nothing" shows I've ever completed. Only thing it has going for it is the art.
>>
>>152849325
How about you fuck off? You're not doing anything other than saying I'm wrong with saying why and spouting memes.

I'm sorry that I don't like this shitty show, and that I disagree with the most common reasons why people laud it, but fuck you man. You don't get to tell me what I think is wrong without having the balls to back it up. If I were contrarian I'd be saying stuff like this is entry level shit, or saying it's Reddit-tier or spouting memes. I'm not.
>>
>>152849491
Don't bother, he's just going to respond with "you dun get it" and fail to provide his own interpretation.
>>
I was gonna fun post about OP's shit taste but to be honest I also have a similar situation with Akira.

I can understand why it's considered well made but I can't understand how anyone can like it. So many of the characters behave in annoying ways and so many small developments throughout the movie felt unnatural.
>>
>>152849519
You're wrong

>>152849491
Don't apologize. I'll be real with you, the show is overrated for sure. I don't normally do this, but the way you downplayed the part I actually liked about it incited me to reply.

I'm sure you're aware of it already so you won't be swayed, but here's the message I took. Keep in mind nothing you posted was incorrect, but I feel like they were means to this end.
It's simply don't let opportunity fall through your fingers. If it's staring you in the face, reach and grab it. Not just for yourself, but for the people it can impact most of all.

The story wasn't just about Watashi learning to "live life to the fullest." He's stripped of his rose tinted glasses, stops being self-centered and finally understands the way he should approach the people around him, along with why.
He starts seeing everyone for what they are; people too. It's why the climax is him saving Ozu.
>>
>>152850447
And why did it need 11 episodes to impart that little nugget of wisdom? Almost the entire show felt like graceless, wasted time. If it were a movie it would have been better.
>>
But this anime is neither complex nor deep. It's just very good.
Also has the best fucking OP and ED god damn I love these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyYCYd2wHY4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IcFDwygw-o
>>
>>152850524
Because it's a seasonal anime? Also you are wrong, some of the best parts of the whole series are the earlier arcs.
>>
>>152850524
Good timing, I was just about to add to my post. The show isn't just the message. It's eleven episodes of character work and MC hi-jinks.

The message isn't original, it's been done way better elsewhere. But after sitting with the MC and all of the characters for so long it feels cathartic to someone who enjoyed the world this show presented. It's subjective of course.
>>
>>152850606
>Because it's a seasonal anime
So the show is bad because they chose the wrong format, thanks for agreeing.
>some of the best parts of the whole series are the earlier arcs.
I'll give this one to you since I don't remember any good parts, so which of the bad parts are best is all yours.
>>
>>152850672
What an inane post. Hilarious that the other guy wasted so much typing on you.
>>
>>152850672
Agree to disagree. You've been fun to talk to.
>>
>>152850721
It's about on par in terms of post quality with the other guy
>>
>>152850721
It's even more funny when you read the first posts and how almighty that retard pretended to be.
>>
>>152847892
99% of most comedy is just talking
>>
It are shit. Nuff sed.
>>
>>152848427
Sounds like you hate the anime because you disagree with the idea it presented rather than its own actual merits itself. Yours is the perfect example of dishonest criticism.
>>
>>152847708
/a/ mostly just likes the animation as far as I can tell.
>>
>>152848427
>We don't need to see all the possible paths in order to understand that
We probably didn't, but what point is there to understanding
>"being alive is fun; I was having fun doing all those things!"
if there wasn't any 10 gorgeously animated and hilariously written episodes to show it?

Besides, the point of the show isn't just to relay that "message". The fun of it is watching someone's idealized worldview unravel and seeing him completely leave it and live his own life in the end.
>>
It was just OK in my books until the last 2 episodes which I loved. Still not a masterpiece or anything but memorable watch nonetheless.
>>
you're all cancer

die immediately
>>
File: 1479063500243.png (29KB, 273x453px) Image search: [Google]
1479063500243.png
29KB, 273x453px
>>152851369
>>
The first episode is great but after a few episodes it gets kinda boring since you realize theres no overarching plot.
>>
>>152847708
you didn't finish it, did you?
>>
its no ping pong, thats for sure
>>
>>152851562
>theres no overarching plot
uhhh
>>
>>152851628
Did endless 8 have overarching plot in your opinion?
>>
>>152848427
:I feel like the reading aspect of this is essential, because it has been done before, and better
Perhaps you should fuck off to /lit/, then, because this is the case for pretty much all anime. I, for one, think that reading is for nerds, and I'd much rather watch watch a story with good visuals than read my grandpa's dusty books.
>>
>>152851653
That's not the same at all
>>
>>152851669
>I, for one, think that reading is for nerds, and I'd much rather watch watch a story with good visuals than read my grandpa's dusty books.
literally underage
>>
>>152848427
>We don't need to see all the possible paths in order to understand that "being alive is fun; I was having fun doing all those things!"
That isn't the point, you fucking braindead cunt. Anyone with an IQ in the double digits could see the conclusion from the second episode.

The show is about the journey of the character, not imparting some moral message, and reducing it to that is absurd.
>>
Do you faggots like anything besides moeshit

kill yourselves
>>
It's actually making fun of hipsters that over analyse everything and act like they're too good for things that other people enjoy. It's like that overly social bro who realizes you like that plain but cute girl from your econ 101 class and laughs at your excuse for not trying to ask her out.
>>
File: 1282156939863.jpg (81KB, 715x480px) Image search: [Google]
1282156939863.jpg
81KB, 715x480px
>>152851732
>Disliking books makes you underage
Yet you're posting on a board about Chinese cartoons, so what does that make you?
>>
>>152852105
Are you seriously implying that you can't enjoy more than one medium? Are you that retarded?
>>
>>152852124
People always cry about crossboarders on /a/ clearly indicating you should only like manga and animes and nothing else.
>>
>>152852124
No, I am implying that interests =/= age you faggot, and that calling others 'underage' based on their interests is fucking stupid when your own interests include children's cartoons.
>>
>>152852227
stop dissing yourself lol
>>
>Implying
It drags on a bit, but episode 10 and 11 are a fantastic climax.
I'm not a fan of having so much sort of repetitive buildup, it's really well executed.
It's at least better than 99% of the garbage shit anime that gets published daily.
>>
>>152852276
What if you watch episodes 1, 10 and 11?
Do you actually miss anything relevant to the plot?
>>
>>152852314
Yes, the entirety of the show comes together for the last episode.
It's not that you won't understand id it (well, there's a lot of things you won't quite get) but mostly it will lack impact and not be the same.
>>
File: godoftheoldbookfair.jpg (26KB, 262x500px) Image search: [Google]
godoftheoldbookfair.jpg
26KB, 262x500px
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-25/masaaki-yuasa-yoru-wa-mijikashi-arukeyo-otome-film-adds-12-more-cast-members/.111484

>Hiroyuki Yoshino as the God of the Old Books Market
So why is Ozu a god now?
>>
>>152852314
>Do you actually miss anything relevant to the plot?
The entire show builds towards the ending. You'll probably get the message by only watching the conclusion, but it's kind of meaningless without the journey towards it.
>>
File: 1383851544854.jpg (17KB, 421x399px) Image search: [Google]
1383851544854.jpg
17KB, 421x399px
>>152852314
Why would you do this? If you don't want to watch 11 episodes then you're obviously not enjoying the show, so why not just drop it at that point?
>>
>>152847784
>and bigger idiots who think they're mature for preferring moe ("adulthood is not caring/i have more sophisticated, nuanced preferences than you, betcha can't even tell frip frappers from madoka scrub, deepness isn't why real otaku watch anime anyways")
What? Why do you think Tatami Galaxy would attract this kind of person?
>>
>>152847771
>>152847792
It's not deep and that's exactly what's wrong because it just makes how it portrays it's simple message pretentious as fuck.
>>
File: ano_kotoba.jpg (55KB, 500x432px) Image search: [Google]
ano_kotoba.jpg
55KB, 500x432px
>>152852567
>pretentious
>>
File: box of dicks.jpg (34KB, 500x273px) Image search: [Google]
box of dicks.jpg
34KB, 500x273px
>>152852567
>pretentious
>tatamy galaxy
You have no clue what actually pretentious shit is.
>>
>>152852618
>>152852623
>implies an appearance of importance not justified by the thing's value
Such a simple message didn't need such a roundabout way of expressing it. It's like endless 8 honestly, and not because of the time loop, but rather that they felt that the idea of Yuki living through 15000 repitions was so earthshattering and important a concept that they needed to show the same episode 8 times. Which it wasn't.
The message in Tatami Galaxy isn't worth it's artstyle or the fast talking or the two episodes of "introspection" at the end.
>>
>>152852750
>Such a simple message didn't need such a roundabout way of expressing it.
Newsflash: Works convey message but aren't created exclusively for the purpose of a message. The purpose of a work is the work itself, this isn't fucking educational television.

>Comparing it to endless 8
Endless eight is a piece of garbage where the exact same episode gets repeated and redrawn but nothing new is being added except some brief inner monologues, and the final conclusion is completely anticlimatic and makes you go "about fucking time you asshole". It tries to reproduce a feeling of struggle and sameness on the audience, and a climax of being freed. It does what it tries to well enough, but is generally boring shit.
Tatamy Galaxy on the other hand show different possibilities all ending in despair and regret for the character no matter what he does, always having him hopeful at the start, but also showing all the different characters and situations, to end in a culmination where all the previous information strikes together to produce a climax of finally taking action and embracing opportunities and the journey of life.
They are two completely different works, fucking apples and oranges.

On the topic of style, any different style is welcome always, the anime could be about poking turds for all I care, that you think anime needs a particular goal to change style show your lack of appreciation for the medium.
>>
>>152852750
>The message in Tatami Galaxy isn't worth it's artstyle or the fast talking or the two episodes of "introspection" at the end.
Why does those things need to be justified with some arbitrarily worthwhile message?
>>
File: c8.png (56KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
c8.png
56KB, 600x620px
>>152852345
Kiko-san is cute.
>>
>>152847708
Good job, you saw through our facade. I hope it makes you feel less insecure about your own tastes.
>>
>>152853105
Cute fit.
>>
>>152847837
I'm guessing NHK must be your favorite anime then
>>
>>152847708
Ping Pong>>>>>>>>>>>shit>>>>>>>>>>Tatamy Galaxy
>>
ITT: Pretentious weeaboo fucks try to tear down an anime because it actually tried different ways of storytelling and had unique elements like the artstyle but it wasn't deep like Eva or some shit
>>
File: '10.jpg (411KB, 1132x632px) Image search: [Google]
'10.jpg
411KB, 1132x632px
>>152847708
TTG objectively is in the top 3 of the best TV anime of the decade.
So sorry, but your opinion is worthless.
>>
File: 1.png (737KB, 782x626px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
737KB, 782x626px
>>152853930
>ITT this long
kys
>>
>>152854003
I can't rate Mushishi and Mob Psycho 100 since I haven't watched both yet, but
>Kill la Kill
>Luluco
>YKA
lmaooooo
>>
>>152850524
Because this show doesn't just care about the destination it also cares about the whole adventure behind it giving us entertaining and fun episodes that in the end work to show us different instances of the characters and makes the message even more clear and straightforward.

The criticism you are making is like saying "wow what was the point of all the 20-something episodes of samurai champloo if they just end up getting separed in the end or if the final episode could've happen without all those episodes"
>>
>>152847708
It's not deep and it's not complex at all.
>>
>>152850524
You do not understand eastern storytelling traditions and you refuse to accept them as well.
It's not about the resolution or the lesson, it's about how you reach that ending.
>>
>>152854043
>>152854043
ITT: some weeaboo ass faggot gets mad because apparently making an ITT that is too long like saying "ITT: Pretentious weeaboo fucks try to tear down an anime because it actually tried different ways of storytelling and had unique elements like the artstyle but it wasn't deep like Eva or some shit" because apparently that's against the unspoken retarded rules of this autistic board on this autistic website but this anon doesn't give a shit about that retarded shit an will keep doing it because fuck you
>>
>>152851669
>grandpa's dusty books
So, your parents were not readers, that's too bad for you. It may explain why you never developed the healthy habit of reading literature. May I ask what's the origin of your anti-intellectual tendencies though? During High School did you take to heart the lessons of Chad? Or did your dad hate your grandfather for being all 'snobby' and 'cultured'?
>reading is for nerds
If nerds = people that enjoy actively using their imagination while discoursing with well-thought arguments properly articulated and other concepts through self-reflection, an activity that requires a modicum of attention, then yes books are for nerds.
Chinese cartoons, on the other hand, are for children, or at least the majority of them are. Visual mediums usually demand a much more passive role from its audience, and mainstream anime sadly has all the elements of children entertainment: you just sit there to enjoy the music and the moving pictures, like a newborn infant being sung to, while watching and laughing how a mobile hanging from his crib spins around.
Good for you, non-nerd.
>>
I liked it, and I generally don't like stylish shows.

It was pretty easy to relate to if you've wasted a couple of college years.
>>
>>152854709
Hahahaha if your criteria for a good medium is not being passive then I guess video games are the height of art. Dumb pretentiousposter
>>
>>152854839
Let's just forget I actually wrote this, right?
>actively using their imagination while discoursing with well-thought arguments properly articulated and other concepts through self-reflection, an activity that requires a modicum of attention

How does it feel going through life being this stupid? Are you the kind to go to sleep thinking "I AM BOSS" or "hehehe jokes' on them, I was only pretending"? Sorry, it's not like I really care. I'm not going to bother seriously arguing with someone exhibiting the reading comprehension of a 12 year old.
>>
>>152855093
anon u are a nerd, no ifs, ands or butts
>>
>>152847708
I couldn't care less about the message, it was fun.
>>
File: 1405443363864.jpg (190KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1405443363864.jpg
190KB, 640x480px
>>152854709
U mad nerd?

Again, if you don't enjoy anime because you can't help but compare it to literature, then perhaps you should leave the anime board and go to /lit/. Complaining about that shit here only makes you look like a pretentious faggot. Besides, no one actually believes that Tatami Galaxy (or anime in general) is a fucking literary masterpiece, but people still enjoy it for what it is. If you can't find value in anime, then don't fucking watch it.
>>
>>152847708
don't know seems good from the opening . ! haven't watched it yet !, OP is one of my favorites tho ! should i? should i watch it
>>
>>152855767
Yes.
>>
>>152855767
No.
>>
>>152855686
This is the people I share a board with. Anons who clearly can't read yet insist in expressing themselves with their monkey idioms and stupid wild assumptions, probably out of their insecurities being hurt or something, such as 'lol u shitty xboarder just leve us alone if u dun liek philipine tapestries u nerd'. God help me.

>Again, if you don't enjoy anime because you can't help but compare it to literature
'Again'? Who are you arguing with? Who even said I don't enjoy anime?
>Complaining about that shit here only makes you look like a pretentious faggot.
No, it just exposes you as immature children who have knee-jerk reactions to anything resembling a semi-intellectual argument.
You can enjoy something on a primitive level, just as you can enjoy it after a careful examination. Having knowledge of other art forms allows one to form better opinions on why you like or dislike something. That's all and /a/ is a prime example of how sad having a limited understanding of fiction is.
>If you can't find value in anime, then don't fucking watch it.
Never even said that. Like that other fag, I can enjoy multiple artistic forms of expression just fine no matter how superior one medium may supposedly be, or how different they are. Each has its own merits and its own flaws. Anime is largely flawed, it doesn't mean I can't experience shitty shows. It's just that I'm more sensitive to those flaws so I'm bound to drop more shit than a pleb with crappy taste like you will.

Lastly, you do realize you are posting in a board tailored for weebs, right? What's the point of calling others a nerd when you are obviously one yourself?
>>
File: banter.jpg (24KB, 300x382px) Image search: [Google]
banter.jpg
24KB, 300x382px
>>152848427
i cant imagine you have many fronds, if any at all being that much of a self important douche
>>
>>152855093
what an impressive sperg
>>
>>152855767
Do it. Like three episodes in you should have a good idea of what it's about and then you can decide for yourself to keep going or not.
>>
>>152856170
>I'm still going!
Hi, I'm>>152850447

I was going to indulge my curiosity and ask why you're doing this sort of thing, but you answered it in that post. Nicely done.

There's a reason why the anon you're replying to hasn't responded yet. I'll give you a hint if you can't see it.
So this pattern I've noticed with you is that you have this tendency to completely miss what's in front of you. You did it with the point of TTG and continue to do so with this very thread. As such, like me he's considered you unworthy of continuing an "intellectual argument" with.

I'm willing to spell the rest out, but I won't out of courtesy. I trust that you already see where you went wrong.
>>
>>152856170

Assuming you are >>152848427 and >>152854709, you are specifically bashing an anime for 'having been done before, and better', and then continue to compare it to fucking literature. This is obviously retarded because, as you said yourself, anime is a different "artistic form of expression". Anime isn't literature, and if you judge anime with literary criteria, then of course it's not going to hold up.

>I can enjoy multiple artistic forms of expression just fine
Yet here you are complaining how an anime sucks compared to literature. You obviously didn't enjoy Tatami Galaxy. If you compared it to other anime that would've been fine, but you specifically compared it to a famous fucking poem which makes it seem as if you expect your Chinese cartoons to be literature in order for it to be enjoyable for you.

>What's the point of calling others a nerd when you are obviously one yourself?
I am fully aware that I'm a nerd, but at least I'm not that big of a nerd to go around flaunting my "superior literary" tastes and calling others plebs on a board about fucking cartoons.
>>
>>152857442
What's wrong with comparing anime to literature except that it makes anime seem worse in comparison?
>>
>>152857442
Well you just tanked my post.

>>152857527
Inherently nothing, but disregarding a show's body of work with the basis of "it's main idea was done better in other mediums" is just silly.
>>
I enjoyed every single minute of it, and not just because it's "deep", i really find it fun and charming
>>
>>152847708
The dude is effay as fuck.

Should I watch this?
>>
>>152852750
>The message in Tatami Galaxy isn't worth it's artstyle
And what artstyle fits it more anon? Please tell me.
>>
>>152857885
Ye. The whole show is. Pacing will throw you for a loop though.
>>
>>152857527
>What's wrong with comparing anime to literature except that it makes anime seem worse in comparison?
Nothing, but going to a board dedicated to anime/manga and bashing a particular anime because it's not high literature, and then calling other people plebs is pretty fucking sad, and it makes you look like a pretentious, insecure asshole.
>>
>>152858182
I wasn't even the guy who criticized the show lmao
If anyone here is insecure it's you
>>
>>152858287
I don't think he was referring to you at all m8.
>>
>>152858354
>he
nice try
>>
>>152848427
Why are /lit/ crossposters always assholes?
>>
>>152858531
>calmly stating your thoughts on a certain subject is being an asshole
>>
>>152858566
See
>>152848831
>>152849491
>>
Is this where all the mouthbreathers meet? Seems like it.

Holy shit, read a fucking book.
>>
>>152852314
>the plot
What the fuck are you a woman? Who cares about the plot?
>>
A female Ozu would be fucking hot.
>>
File: 1311972704664.jpg (73KB, 425x419px) Image search: [Google]
1311972704664.jpg
73KB, 425x419px
>>152858727
At least put in some effort senpai.

>>152857885
Sure, it's a fun show and it's only 11 episodes anyway. You'll probably enjoy it if you liked any of Yuasa's other works.
>>
>>152857527
Because it requires ignoring all formal components in order to even make the comparison. No anime, nor any novel are purely the literal events that occur in the story, but when people compare them, that's always what they talk about. All quarrels regarding the supposed superiority of one media over another are like this and are worthless as a result.
>>
This entire thread is a trainwreck, jesus
>>
>>152855686
>no one actually believes that Tatami Galaxy (or anime in general) is a fucking literary masterpiece, but people still enjoy it for what it is
>I-I only watch anime ironically, I s-swear!

I fucking hate people like you. Anime is a medium like any other, if you use it to its full potential then the product can be on the same intellectual level as the best product of any other medium, like cinema, literature, paintings, sculptures or whatever.
>>
>>152858958
Fuck off with your milky shit. read >>152859011 for reference.
>>
>>152859011
You're too obvious
>>
>>152859095
Or maybe you're just retarded, you've been on the internet for too long. You don't know what obvious is, I'm serious.
>>
>>152859011
He's not wrong. No anime can be a literary masterpiece on account of not being a fucking book.
>>
>>152859227
I agree with you, of course, when people say that they mean it's on par with one, attributing literature some sort of innate superiority over the other media.
The point still stands.
>>
>>152859011
>if you use it to its full potential then the product can be on the same intellectual level as the best product of any other medium, like cinema, literature, paintings, sculptures or whatever.

I never claimed otherwise. I said that anime isn't a literary masterpiece because it isn't literature at all. It is, in fact, an entirely different medium. I never meant to imply that anime is per definition of lesser quality in any way.

Having said that, you must admit that anime generally doesn't try to be "on the same intellectual level" as other "best products of any other medium", and anime can still be fucking great even when it's not "intellectual".
>>
>>152859433
Yeah >>152859353

The important thing is to call things with their names, nothing wrong with enjoying shit, simply don't pretend it's anything but that and don't try to take better things down on the same level as the shit you enjoy, like it's been done in this thread for Tatami.
>>
>>152859524
Nicely put anon.
>>
>>152859896
1/100 I can manage to do it.
>>
>>152847892
99% of good entertainment media consists of 99% talking
>>
>>152847837
>school is a scam
How? That doesn't make sense.
>>
>>152859227
Tatami Galaxy was a fucking book though
>>
>>152860136
that's just what all the retards tell themselves to make them feel better working at McDonald's
>>
File: 1484745668085.png (797KB, 812x806px) Image search: [Google]
1484745668085.png
797KB, 812x806px
>>152860206
>>
I feel like OP is confusing reliability with literary depth.

It's pretty relatable. Who hasn't gone through parts of their lives over thinking things and wondering what could have been?

They created a character with real idiosyncrasies that felt human. He had an actual personality rather than fragments of a personality. He was capable of being selfish and reckless but at the same time trying to be a decent person. Sure Watashi's motives weren't always pure but, it's safe to say he wasn't an awful person.

Couple the characters with an outlandish story and stunning visuals and you get something that a lot of people loved.

faggot
>>
>>152860616
>it's safe to say he wasn't an awful person
except that time he was literally Himmler.
>>
>>152860677
>Himmler did anything wrong.

I think I know who's behind this post.
>>
>>152860763
He actually did a lot of things wrong, but you wouldn't know that, because you'd decry any mistake as hostile propaganda.
>>
STOP ARGUING. DISCUSS TRAILER.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T14bA7BToPM
>>
>>152860835
Actually I'm inclined to agree with you. I just figured a good time would be had by all if I made a joke about your argument rather than actually letting this turn into a political discussion.

I had an artist working on a project with me who turned out to be this huge bigot and spent more time telling me things like "Tibetans chose to live in shit. There is no racism against them" rather than just doing his job. I cut my relationship off after a few more of those. It soured my taste for most political discussion with strangers.
>>
>>152860918
What am I looking at here?
>>
>>152860918
The fact that this and Uchouten Kazoku 2 release in the same month is glorious
>>
Why are you guys even arguing with some autist who keeps injecting archaic and/or low-use words into his arguments while ignoring any point somebody else brings up as "not being an argument?"
If you like it, you like it. If he dislikes it and prefers to laud the books he learned about on /lit/ and pretends to actually like himself, more power to him. This retard trying to equate anime to literature is no different than people trying to dig themes out of any media where there are none. Tatami is a pretty simple story but there's more to its enjoyment than the theme, it's an anime after all. It also has a stellar voice cast, unique visuals, excellent scene composition, and a decent soundtrack to augment its characters, themes, and narrative.
>>
>>152857442
Yeah, I'm not that guy. I'm me (>>152856170 >>152854709) so fuck off.

>>152858961
I disagree with this. Saying 'apples and oranges' is just simplistic and retarded. You can compare either fruit just fine if you take certain precautions and your argument isn't just subjective bullshit to conclude 'x is better than y'. I mean, they are both fruits that fall from a tree, it's not like you're comparing magma to smegma (you could still draw a comparison but only on very few characteristics of each substance) (American education, I swear...)
Similarly, comparisons between anime and literature require some degree of abstraction. This usually triggers some autists of the elitist variety and people who feel uncomfortable with such abstractions for whatever reason (usually very retarded reasons).
Of course you'll have to ignore some (yet not 'all') formal aspects: you can compare an anime's dialogue, tone, plot development, ''''message'''' and cast just fine to any regular novel as any of these elements are present in both. Would ignoring certain aspects, some more fundamental than others (primarily, length and possible narrative devices in novels; designs, music and sound plus animation for anime, among others), mean the comparison is idiotic? No. The comparison would still have some validity if expressed in proper terms while acknowledging the obvious differences.
Saying literature is the higher art form is just a personal preference. It might be well argued, but it's nothing but an opinion. Each has its own merits and its own challenges. Literature is usually more challenging. Does it mean it's objectively better?
>>
>>152847708
Correct. It's pretentious dogshit.
>>
>>152857985
Something as simple and bland as its message.
>>
>>152861607
In my case I just felt like talking about this show

>>152861650
If it's of any merit, I'm glad Tatami Galaxy is the anime you decided to make this thread for. That says a lot about how its regarded, deservingly so.

That being said
>Does it mean it's objectively better?
Between mediums, objective quality begins and ends at how well either is written. Everything beyond is subjective, especially with one relying solely on wording to paint the world it depicts. Literature is, of course, far more challenging from both the producer's and consumer's end. Being more rewarding is the payoff, even that being subjective.

But you already know that. The defining line for you seems to be creativity vs originality, which leads me to ask: If The Tatami Galaxy provided the same message under different presentation, would you still feel the way you do about it?
>>
This guy just came here to start shit.
>>
>>152863221
Nobody cares about you as a person
>>
>>152863221
Obviously. He's the OP.
>>
>>152863315
Why shitpost tatami galaxy? How bored can you actually be to do this? And with such /b/ tier bait, disgraceful.
>>
>12 hours and 37 minutes
frick off IRC
>>
>>152861706
Of course it is. It's Yuasa. The two go hand in hand.
>>
File: 1470482517581.gif (549KB, 720x534px) Image search: [Google]
1470482517581.gif
549KB, 720x534px
>>152858566
>calmly
I don't think I've ever seen a guy so far just because he didn't think that some message in a show wasn't presented very well.
He's made a thread and started all this shit just because some cheesy message ruined the other 90% of the show for him. This guy ain't fucking calm.
>>
>>152860918
Wait what is this
>>
>>152863806
>>152861032
Movie for the sequel book
>>
>>152863543
Tell me about IRC, why do they let the bait posts live
>>
>>152857885
How the hell is that effay? Is there anything /a/ doesn't consider fashionable even
>>
>>152863920
What happened to the chick from the first one?
>>
File: maasaki yuasa is pretentious.png (7KB, 500x182px) Image search: [Google]
maasaki yuasa is pretentious.png
7KB, 500x182px
>>152861706
>>152863584
These niggas get it.
>>
>>152847708

Isn't this one of those series that's like a 'must have in your favorites' by all the pretentious anime connoisseurs.

I'll admit, I haven't watched it.
>>
File: 1477707288966.png (88KB, 540x369px) Image search: [Google]
1477707288966.png
88KB, 540x369px
>>152865118
>>152865151
>It's pretentious because people like it
Is there anything acclaimed /a/ doesn't find pretentious at this point?
>>
>>152865248
People overuse the term pretentious.
The only good example I know if is Evangelion since you can quote Anno using references that he thinks sound cool and have no deeper meaning than "it sounds cool".
>>
>>152865387
>>152865248
It fits here, don't play the "oh you and your silly memes!" card. Dictionary definition of "pretentious" is
>attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed.
which is what Tatami Galaxy is. A core message that isn't particularly insightful or impressive dressed up in nutty animation and over presentation, and the series wouldn't be noticed by anyone but for the latter.
>>
>>152865387
Pretentiousness means the director is trying to convince you that the show is deep when they don't have the skill to actually make it deep. By Anno saying it was all just to look cool, it actually proves it's not pretentious. Because he wasn't trying to make it deep, it was everyone else being pretentious and assuming he was.
>>
>>152865502
And yet it's still a great show.
>>
>>152854003
More like your taste is worthless except Uchouten Kazoku
>>
>>152847708
It IS good you faggot.
>>
>>152847892
B A D T A S T E
Thread posts: 184
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.