[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the DB fandom is so divided about Gohan not wanting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: gohan.jpg (116KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
gohan.jpg
116KB, 1920x1080px
Why the DB fandom is so divided about Gohan not wanting to be a fighter anymore?
>>
>>152128465
he became a bland, uninteresting character
>>
>>152128516
like the entire cast. What they did to vedal is the worst
>>
>>152128465
His beginning in z hinted he was supposed to be the new MC. People liked that and the hype began. There always was the probability that he become into a scholar but seemed unlikely and I guess Goku it's more popular.
>>
I never liked Gohan, so I don't give a shit if he is a fighter or not.
>>
>>152128616
True, but at least Goku, Beerus and the other main characters are actually doing things. Gohan is just nothing. There's literally nothing to even discuss about him.

That's the best word to describe him: nothing
>>
We gave up on him years ago.
>>
He commited the mistake of stop training when not realizing that Goku not always is gonna be available to defend the Earth TWICE.

People try to defend this bullshit by saying that having a normalfag life is what he always wanted, but this is a fucking shounen series, if a character wants to stop fighting he becomes totally worthless.
>>
>>152129136
Even if he's not a fighter anymore, he could still be a good character if he does something interesting or important. But nope, he's just nothing
>>
Zfags failing to understand he was always conflicted with being a scholar and a fighter, the latter against his will and the former forced on his mother when he had to take up fighting to save his friends and the earth. Eventually, he did what was needed and went to become a scholar, got a nice wife and kid and kept his mother at peace of mind after running her up the wall with Goku's antics.

Gohan's life couldn't be any better. Yeah, he could keep on training, but if the final chapter of Dragon Ball is anything to go by, all turns out well.
>>
>>152129334
And then his wife and daughter died because he was too weak to defend them.
>>
>>152128465
Because there is a legit argument for both sides.

One way this character depiction is bad is because he becomes ultimately a beta-male, he is ultimately not as cool as he used to be and he essentially becomes Yamcha, Saiyan Edition.

But on the flipside it makes him independent from his father, it is more in line with his character (it is a misconception that he wanted to train and be a fighter, this was something introduced in the films and in filler, not so much the main canon), and it makes him different from the rest of the characters who are more physical while Gohan can be more the brains due to Bulma being more irrelevant these days.
>>
>>152129629
>Bulma being more irrelevant these days.

She was more relevant than everyone in the Zamasu saga except for Goku, Trunks, Vegeta and Zeno.
>>
>>152128465
Initially he was going to take over as the main character (sort of happened in the cell arc), but Goku's popularity demanded that he was the hero.

Now you are left with people that know that Gohan will never take over as a main nor he will ever be relevant (that chance went away when Buu beated the crap out of him and he wasn't even called for the final battle) so they might as well wrap up his character and give him the scholar ending

On the other side you have Gohan fanatics that think that because he was once the main character that might happen again and won't give up on him even though they showed they have no intention to take him nowhere

It's just like Vegeta fanatics that think that Vegeta will ever have a chance to be the main character or even at the same tier as Goku when it's obvious he's there just as the rival that is close to main guy in strength so that he will job to the villain to give the villain credibility.
>>
File: 1483936579736.jpg (1MB, 2037x3056px) Image search: [Google]
1483936579736.jpg
1MB, 2037x3056px
>>152128762
>There always was the probability that he become into a scholar but seemed unlikely

Yeah. Who would've thought right?
>>
>>152128465
The only reason I like him as a fighter is because I've seen him in action as a fighter. No one knows what scholarly things Gohan does. I mean Bulma is the world's top scientific mind but Gohan is some dude's intern. Gohan has seen alien races and tech, has access to so much knowledge via people he knows, but he is off in some earth college grading papers or some shit. I would accept scholar Gohan if he was studying at some galactic academy though, he could even bring his family to see the universe.
>>
I miss Teen Gohan. As in, the REAL Teen Gohan, when he was going to high school. Anyone else?
>>
>>152128616
but Gohan at least had potential to be strong
>>
>>152128465
use the catalog you fucking retard >>152123106
>>
>>152130212
This is why I liked what DB Online did. Gohan became a scholar but, one that studied Ki and, eventually wrote a detailed book on how to better manipulate Ki which lead to humans becoming stronger.
>>
>>152129849
>Initially he was going to take over as the main character (sort of happened in the cell arc), but Goku's popularity demanded that he was the hero.
No Toriyama didn't like Gohan as the protag. I didn't know people still believed that rumor.
>>
>>152130669
You could say the same for goten and trunks
>>
>>152128616
Same thing that happened 18 and ChiChi
>>
>>152130760
>tfw Trunks is the same age as the one from the beginning of History of Trunks
>>
>>152129849
That was a rumor.
>>
>>152130717
Yeah I forgot about that, that is actually a decent excuse for being a scholar, and didn't it bring a new wave of martial arts popularity? Perfect fit for Saten's son in law.
>>
>>152130797
18 a little less and chichi is still a nagging bitch
>>
>>152130717
It's really sad when a fanfic surpass the canon material in quality.
>>
He's not a good character in Super at all. He's bland, and weak. Terrible combinations. What makes matters worse is that they tease for something great for him, but fast coward nearly 40 episodes later and nothing. He's also been absent for much of that time doing scholar work we never get to see. But what ultimately broke the camels back was how stupid he was not to address why Future Trunks came back to the past. Great character moment for Trunks, but at the expense of Gohan. There's still the universe survival arc, but it will be hard to redeem how bad Gohan has been in Super. Especially Goten. What a disappointment Goku's sons are.
>>
>>152131902
Gohan not being part of the Future Trunks arc was a real missed chance. They even fucked with us at the very end with this shot.
>>
>>152132237
I think it was implicit that he spent the whole arc training with Piccolo
>>
>>152130212
>Dragonball G spin-off
>Our protagonist is Gohan, famous scholar of Earth, wandering the universe and studying all the different races he comes across. Occasionally helps people and fights, but the focus is on him doing herbology and asking aliens how does their anatomy works.
I would watch.
>>
>>152131610
Apparently Toriyama did provide some help for DB Online, but we don't exactly know the extent of it.
>>
>>152128616
she redeemed herself in the last episode though
>>
>>152131022
>and didn't it bring a new wave of martial arts popularity
Yeah that was reason for all human characters in the game.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.