[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can a show so terrible be so popular? Are standards for writing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

How can a show so terrible be so popular? Are standards for writing in anime so low that this is considered a masterpiece?
>>
>>151279260
>How can a show so terrible be so popular?
It isn't that bad get over and it got popular because of the game theme
>>
>>151279260
WAIFUS
EDGE
AND
FIGHTS
>>
>>151279260
>How can a show so terrible
It's average.
>>
>>151279260
Its average
Its over-hyped
fans mostly consider it "fun and dumb", no one thinks its a masterpiece

Here's your (you)
>>
>>151279260
It is very good at pleasing the market they are trying to get. 14-17 old males who also like gaming.
>>
>>151279260
Because beta faggots like to self-insert as a badass, edgy, genius swordman whose getting all the bitches by being the best in vidya.
>>
File: maki fes.jpg (17KB, 199x253px) Image search: [Google]
maki fes.jpg
17KB, 199x253px
>>151279260
the girls were waifu materials and the ost were great too and the doujins also why doesn't love live! get the same amount of hatred ?shit sells very well and isn't enjoyable to watch . the only good thing about it was the doujins
>>
>>151279260
glop glop
>>
The hiki didn't need to leave his room to be covered in bitches and show off how cool he is to other people.
>>
>>151279260
i don't think you understand the appeal of SAO or what makes it great.
and that's fine, you don't have to.
>>
>>151282827
>t. redditor
>>
It's literally Naruto for the millennial generation. What the fuck is so hard to understand about that?
>>
>>151282827
(you)
>>
>>151283381
>>151283191
SAO isn't as bad as people make it out to be.
If you can't appreciate it for what it i and if you can't ignore stupid shit you don't care for anime probably isn't the medium for you
>>
>>151279328
>It isn't that bad
Oh yes it fucking is, you fucking child.
>>
>>151283481
Having watched it, it most certainly is as bad as they say. Kirito is an irredeemable asshole of a mary sue and the only people who like him are edgy 12-year olds.
>>
The anime is fucking terrible, however the abridged series is one of my favorite things to watch ever.
>>
>>151283638
you clearly have not seen it
>>
>>151283481
Name one thing we can appreciate SAO for except the audiovisual aspect.
>>
>>151283791
You're clearly fucking 12.
>>
>>151283855
Heathbar's motives for starting the whole shindig in the first place.
>>
>>151283895
>Heathbar
>>>/reddit/
Get the fuck out and stay the fuck out.
>>
>>151283855
It's pretty nice pseudo-fantasy SoL, in a way it hasn't been done.
You just have to ignore all the death game drama garbage.

Also the girls are very cute and it has main girl that isn't awful.
>>
>>151283933
>He thinks he can >>>/reddit/ away any arguments he knows he'll lose
Just admit it, I'm far deeper in the web of despair than you are.
>>
File: clif bar.png (39KB, 102x180px) Image search: [Google]
clif bar.png
39KB, 102x180px
>>151283933
>>151283975
Or perhaps you were hungry for something different?
>>
>>151280418
>Because beta faggots like to self-insert
Should have stopped there.
>>
>>151279260

Marketing and anime fans are DUMB people
>>
File: 1467402878202.webm (652KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1467402878202.webm
652KB, 800x450px
>>151279260
No one really cares about writing in anime, as long it has some cool looking fights and a somewhat decent animation it'll be popular with MALfags, see Mob, it's just a plain generic shounenshit with a apathetic MC, but people love it and believe the show is a lot better than it truly is and all of this is just because of muh sakuga.
>>
Personally I like SAO because it's like watching Reki's progression as a writer. He's noticeably less shitty in his later stuff than volume 1 of SAO, the first thing he ever wrote.
Maybe by the time he grows enough to finish his stories, they'll be worth finishing.
>>
>>151283959
But the setting is absolutely retarded, plot holes are fucking everywhere and Reki Kawahara have no fucking idea how video games and gamers works.
Also, all these cute girls have zero personality (which I guess doesn't matter as long as they're cute).
>>
>>151284270
the setting is good enough
the plot doesn't really matter
and neither do video game mechanics as those are just a plot device to explain the fantasy setting with no stakes

and the girls are very cute, yes.
>>
>>151279260
ITT: Another anon gets meme'd into watching SAO.
Great job, anon, how does fitting in feel like? Now all you have to do is convince your friends to watch Eva.
>>
>>151279260
>self insert bland mc
Check
>Gary stu
Check
>harem
Check
>hype fights
Check
>Expandable/endless materia
Check
>OC and fanfic friendly
Check
>>
>>151279333
this
>>
>>151284108
If you think Mob is just good because of sakuga you're delusional.
>>
>>151283895
"Durr... I dunno. I guess I wanted to experience a castle in the sky, I guess. Dunno, whatevs. Those 4,000 people were going to die eventually anyway."

With that having been said, I'm not sure why Sword Art Online catches so much hate. It's par for the course for Japanese light novels, which are by and large a low-hanging fruit for literary criticism anyway.
>>
>>151287049
You make a good point with the literary value of light novels, but I think you're stuck going by whatever the anime told you as to Kayaba's motive.
If there's anything Reki's good at, it's weaving a neverending web of stuff to think about into his universes.
At some point you start whining less about the shitty writing and start thinking more about what's actually going on.
Of course, until you get to Accel World. That's pure yami wo chikara and it's either boring as heck or intense as heck depending on how into it you get.
>>
>>151283514
because when someone disagrees with you they are automatically a child. I agree it's pretty bad though.
>>
>>151279260
yes, they really are most anime is irremediably terrible. /sincere
>>
Was it popular because it was poorly written?
If it had deep characterization or clever dialogues, the studio would have think of creative ways to present those things in the anime properly. With SAO they can just focus on making fanservice with cute girls and cool fight scenes, and never need to worry about screwing up the story.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.