[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are you thoughts on a current generation of gateway anime?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

What are you thoughts on a current generation of gateway anime?
7-8 years ago it would be something like Toradora, Geass, Haruhi, Death Note, Rozen Maiden, K-on, DtB, etc., but now it seems the people who are getting into anime start with something like KLK, Anohana, Sakurasou, Shigatsu, SnK, etc.
>>
I don't really care.
>>
>>150375321
>Sakurasou
Wait, what? This is a gateway anime now?
>>
>>150375321
Go and watch your Backlog.
>>
>>150377787
Yes, I've seen a lot of newfriends making threads about how Sakurasou is the best anime ever and asking wether it'll get s2
>>
>>150375321
It's not that bad when you realize gateway things are shit by definition. They specifically appeal to the lowest common denominator. Many people will like them, but not many true anime fans will put them as their favorites. Literally all of the shows you listed are not good, but that's okay. The existence of normalfag trash is fine and even necessary
>>
>>150375321
Modern gateway anime are Jojo, Madoka, SnK, and unironically soon to be Code Geass
>>
>>150378831
SAO and Pokemon X/Y/S/M.
>>
>>150377787
Yeah it's the new baby's first romcom.

Not due to any particular merit of the show itself, it just came about at a time when there was another resurgence of interest in anime that was suitably long after old entry level shows for a new generation of viewer to take it as the first and golden standard.

Sometimes, gateway anime are as such because they deliberately appeal to an entry-level audience. Something like Tokyo Ghoul might be a good example of a current entry-level shounen. Other times, however, a show being entry level has little to do with the show itself or any deliberate intent by its creators, and is more or less a result of coincidental circumstances. Some things become entry level just because they were new and popular at a time when a lot of people were entering, and thus it's where they started. Context is important; "entry-level" isn't a value judgement of a show itself so much that it's simply a criticism towards people who are opinionated despite having little breadth of the topic because, despite pretension to the contrary, they only followed popular trends.
>>
>>150375321
People will start with different expectations and different tastes from someone who started 8-10 years ago. I don't like it.
>>
>>150375321
It's far better than all the trash from last decade you just mentioned.
Well, it would be were it not for shit like SAO that OP neglected but still happens to be just about the biggest gateway anime this decade. Still an improvement overall, though.
>>
>>150378778
I don't think there's anyone on /a/ who thinks otherwise
>>
>>150375321
>Shigatsu
That comes from netflix and reddit. So know that when there are threads about them here they are newfag scum of the highest caliber.
>>
>>150379000
>Yeah it's the new baby's first romcom.
At least it's a good romcom. It can help newcomers build good standards and that's always a good thing.
>>
>>150375321
my gateway anime was Elfen Lied, what was yours?
>>
>>150379883
FMA
>>
>>150379883
Akira

I feel old now
>>
>>150379883
Sailor Moon
>>
>>150379080
Most /a/nons will agree with the principle, but the actual results will vary a lot in practice. To be specific, different /a/nons will fall into different tiers of classifying what is and isn't normalfag trash. Just consider that there are people who unironically participate in Naruto or One Piece threads.
>>
>>150379000
>Tokyo Ghoul might be a good example of a current entry-level shounen
It's technically seinen but I get your point. It does attract the SnK/Naruto crowd.
>>
>>150379883
TTGL

That is if DBZ doesn't count, which I'm assuming it doesn't

I apparently also watched Speed Racer as a kid but I was too young to remember now
>>
>>150379883
Bleach, thought that would be more common
>>
>>150379883
Lucky Star.
>>
>>150379883
Rosario Vampire
>>
On the one hand the current trend of directly adapting Manga into single season anime means the new viewers won't be dunked in the autism of shonen 300 ep series like Naruto - but at the same time I'm afraid that it'll kill the appeal of any original series that aren't Jump adaptations
>>
File: 1412188842981.gif (68KB, 278x340px) Image search: [Google]
1412188842981.gif
68KB, 278x340px
>>150375321
As a newfag who's been here for 2.5 years, my gateway anime were Yuru Yuri and Ika Musume pretty much. They are still some of my favorite shows, just goes to show I have excellent, unwavering taste.
>>
>>150379080
Of course not, since nobody on /a/ actually likes anime, and it's all just a big game of (anonymous) social signaling and dick waving instead.
>>
>>150379080
>No one on /a/ thinks K-On is good
>>
>>150379883
Anything that was on toonami ten years ago. Fooly Cooly was one.
>>
>>150378831
To be fair Code Geass was always babby's first mecha or at the very least was robot anime for people who don't watch robot anime alongside Eva and TTGL
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.