[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So do Japanese people really do this? I don't get it: people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

So do Japanese people really do this? I don't get it: people get fevers of high temperatures because the body is trying to kill the germs, right? What exactly is the point of putting cold towels on someone's head? Maybe it will make them feel better, but wouldn't it make it take even longer to get better?

And on top of that, staying by someone's side the whole time just gets the caretaker sick as well. So by this whole care-giving thing, we not only end up with a whole lot of wasted time, but also another sick person.

Is this some sort of superior nipponjin technique that is just above my level of comprehension, or is it more of a social obligation thing?
>>
>>149883877
>nipponjin technique
Nah, my culture also does it and I am from Romania. I guess it helps the body to not overheat. Not sure. I doubt we have a doctor anon in here.
>>
if you're fever gets to high the hospital will legit throw you in a ice bath so your brain does not melt

as for the whole japanese cold meme retardation I got no clue I got a fever runny nose and coughs yet I'm still doing shit and also spreading my germs for the lulz
>>
>>149884047
>spreading my germs for the lulz
>ruining people's weeks for no reason

You are a special kind of scum, you deserve to be on the other side of the wall. I always cover my mouth.
>>
>>149883877

As the body's immune system kicks in to fight the germs/bacteria/viruses, side effects are produced. Commonly, heat generated is caused by pryogens affecting the regulation of body temperature. Cold towels help in the comfort of the ill, as the body temperature is higher than the comfort zone. See http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/cellular-microscopic/question45.htm for more information.

The caretaker's role is to both to social obligation and alleviation of discomfort for the ill. It generally outweighs the narcissistic tendencies of caring for oneself.
>>
>>149883877
Taking care of a sick person is something that we humans do, anon. Maybe if your parents loved you, you'd have fond memories of your mother nursing you back to health instead of wanking to mother-son incest doujinshi.
>>
If your fever becomes too high, cold/ice should be pressed to your neck, wrists, and ankles. They are small areas that all blood passes through. It's the most effective window for cooling down your temperature.
That being said, the Japs are probably over reacting.
>>
>>149884397
Interesting, so it doesn't make it worse, but it doesn't help either.

>>149884425
>mother-son incest doujinshi

ss is gross, I prefer father daughter incest doujinshi
>>
Do filthy gaijins not do the same? I could've sworn I saw some cold patches for fevers in US drug stores.
>>
>>149885505
Nipponese colds are especially fatal, that might explain their extreme fevers
>>
>>149885034
It helps by alleviating uncomfortable hotness.
Also, it is rare but some fevers can climb to 107.6 degrees and cause brain damage although most are from overheating ie bundling up in blankets in a warm room someone who has a fever. Cooling a severe fever is wise. Cooling a moderate fever is simply alleviating discomfort.

We use the damp rag in america as well, it's not an eleven thing
>>
>>149883877
It's comfy as hell. But it doesn't feel the same when you're doing it yourself.
>>
File: The deadly Japanese cold.jpg (102KB, 566x695px) Image search: [Google]
The deadly Japanese cold.jpg
102KB, 566x695px
>>149885760
>>
>>149885943
>We

Speak for yourself, I've never been damp-ragged.
>>
It's the same as most things we do for the average cold- a lot of things we use like cough syrups or hot water bottles aren't going to fight off the pathogen. There are antibiotics for severe bacterial infections, but if you have a virus usually you have to ride it out as your immune system does its thing. What you're treating are the symptoms so you're less miserable, and using a damp cloth is just soothing and can cool you off if you're overheated.

>>149886185
I'm American too, and we've used it in my family. When I got the stomach virus a lot as a kid, my mom would put a cool bath cloth on my head after an episode of vomiting. It makes you feel a lot better somehow.
>>
>>149883877
Keep it in your general thread.
>>
File: 1477446390356.png (214KB, 448x558px) Image search: [Google]
1477446390356.png
214KB, 448x558px
>>149884047
>you're fever
>to high
>a ice
Another /a/ intellectual, I see.
>>
>>149886374
That sounds nice. I'm not sick, but will you damp-rag me, anon? My head isn't hot but my extremities are.
>>
>>149886444
I would if I could, anon.
If your hands and feet are hot, an ice pack might work better though.
>>
>>149886667
>mwaaaaa an ice pack is technically more correct
You're no fun at all.
>>
>>149886749
I was only trying to help because I care.
>>
File: 14283782435366.jpg (99KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
14283782435366.jpg
99KB, 1280x720px
>>149886902
>"I care"
s-sou ka
>>
>>149883877
Okay, let us get scientific.

Your body goes into a fever in order to burn off either the virus-infected cells or whatever else has infected you at the moment. Unfortunately, the cells in our body can be damaged by the increase in temperature as much as foreign intruders can.

So, if you enter too high of a fever, the heat will begin bursting your own cells at a rate that it can cause permanent damage. At that high of a temperature, you basically need to lower the temperature quickly to prevent lasting damage.

Thus, the ice bath. Let me tell you, after dealing with one of those once, I hope I never have to do one again. It was not pleasant by any stretch of the term.

So, putting cold water on someones head could be beneficial in keeping the body from overheating.
>>
>>149886955
sou yo
Have a good night, anon.
>>
>>149887883
good night
>>
File: colds kill.png (153KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
colds kill.png
153KB, 500x281px
>>149883877
My parents would put a wet rag on my head when I had a high fever as a kid. I was born and raised in California by nearly white trash.

There's no science to suggest that a cold compress on the forehead does anything, but anecdotally, I thought it felt kinda nice when I had a fever.

>wouldn't it make it take even longer to get better?
No. The temperature is not fighting the disease directly, the increase in temperature is just a symptom of increased action of the immune system. Raising or lowering the temperature will not have a measurable effect on immune system effectiveness until hypo/hyperthermia set in.

Also nips generally don't seem to understand illness very well. If there's one thing we've learned from anime, it's that the common nip still seems to believe that being out in cold weather and especially being wet and cold for extended periods of time cause illness, when that was scientifically disproved almost a century ago.
>>
>>149889452
Disproved by whom? And where? Was it Japan?
>>
But my hentai manga tells me you're supposed to pass the fever on someone else through sex.
>>
>>149883877
>expecting a race that dies from normal colds to know how to treat it
>>
>>149887076
>overheating
No such thing. Sepsis can do serious damage, but trying to stop it is more harmful.

If a normal septic response isn't followed by reduced infection, the septic response increases, causing more collateral damage. It's not the heat that's harmful, it's the pulse, blood pressure, and muscle tension which do damage.

Cooling the person makes them more comfortable, but the immune system needs to beat the infection for the septic response and temperature to recede.
>>
>>149886119
>countries with 1 death by cold
>countries with more than hundreds

Why?
>>
>>149889674
>it's the pulse, blood pressure, and muscle tension which do damage.
Explain
>>
it's just one of those cultural memes
sorta like vicks with mexicans
>>
>>149884047
>brain
>melting
What stupid hospital is that?
>>
>>149889737
Very high blood pressure, prolonged elevated pulse, and muscular torsion will make the body less hospitable to infection, but also disrupt organs. Body thinks the infection poses a mortal threat, and is willing to risk some organs to stop the infection.
>>
>>149889873
>body is literally a shounen MC
So fucking good.
>>
>>149884047
42 C fever, immunocompromised, severe sepsis.

2L+ IV hydration and a few pints of blood. No fucking ice bath. Didn't even cool the isolation room.

>>149889452
ECG and BO without leads? Lazy animators.
>>
>>149889653
We'd all be dead by now if that was the treatment.
>>
>>149889639
Well, it's a complex subject, and I'm not a scientist.

To some extent not all questions around the subject are answered. For example, there have been studies which do seem to show an increased risk of respiratory infection due to prolonged exposure to winter weather, but other studies make it clear that the only really effective way to prevent the common cold is to wash your hands often and try not to touch your face.

The most widely accepted answer for why the common cold becomes even more common in winter months is social factors. The idea is that people spend more time indoors, and therefore cooped in proximity to other people than they would in summer months.

The truth is that it's a combination of factors, of course, but there's one thing you can be sure of: the idea you see in anime of somebody being out in the rain for ten minutes and consequently catching a cold is malarkey.

First, the incubation period for the common cold is between twenty-four and seventy-two hours, meaning the idea that you'd be out in the rain one night and bedridden the next morning is ludicrous. Second, we're talking some serious exposure here, not being caught out without an umbrella. Think homeless people outdoors all the time.
>>
>>149889706
Putting cold towels on peoples heads instead of seeking medical aid
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.