[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hand-drawn is dead. As 3D gets cheaper and more accessible, expect

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 15

File: For what purpose.jpg (296KB, 750x1087px) Image search: [Google]
For what purpose.jpg
296KB, 750x1087px
Hand-drawn is dead.
As 3D gets cheaper and more accessible, expect all new animated shows to be fully 3D. Even shit like Simpsons has gone all-in with 3D backgrounds, vehicles etc. The same with anime (which was the last bastion of hand-drawn robots and the like. Now they're all 3D).
Studios care about timely results, not making a visual masterpiece that will stand the test of time. 3D ages like milk but who cares if it actually sells units?

Learning 2D animation takes decades to master. 3D is accessible to anyone with a laptop, and gives you automated shaders, hair physics, rigging etc. And it doesn't matter that it looks shitty because it's new, and to modern viewers new is objectively better than old shit and always will be.
>>
>>149302710
>3D is accessible to anyone with a laptop

Show me your anime skills OP

hard mode: no posers, models you made yourself
>>
>Hand-drawn is dead.
Most anime is hand drawn.
>>
>>149302838
I think that hand drawing still cant be replaced by cgi because it needs too much money thrown at it to look remotely good.

That's why most decent cgi in anime is only present in OVAs or films.
>>
I don't see hand-drawn anime dying for a very long time. If any fundamental shift occurs, it'll be dropping pen and paper for tablets which is already occurring.
>>
File: 1465578437295.png (300KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1465578437295.png
300KB, 800x600px
>>149302710

>just put ur grasses on 90s gritty animation matched berserk atmosphere perfectly

>can never go back to this style of animation that has been phased out

why even live
>>
File: Not even exaggerating tbh sempai.jpg (671KB, 1342x1622px) Image search: [Google]
Not even exaggerating tbh sempai.jpg
671KB, 1342x1622px
The one (1) acceptable 3D anime is Cassette Girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhwXxjiqDEU

All other >>>/trash/
>>
>>149302961
Seems most anime studios are struggling with trying to make cgi work, not a lot of studios have done it right. I feel that cgi works better in movies, but that might be because of shorter run time and larger budget. Also japan don't have that much experience with cgi as studios in the west.
>>
File: Drossel is best girl.jpg (74KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Drossel is best girl.jpg
74KB, 1280x720px
Correction, the only two (2) acceptable 3D anime are Cassette Girl and FIREBALL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVMIUN2Ipqw&list=PL5B9l5F59-eqL9VaPztn9K3gCpRiYpTk0

All others >>>/fuckingtrashcompactor/
>>
>>149303118
I'd like to see studios use both really. I feel it can look really good if they find a nice balance between cgi and hand-drawn.
>>
>>149305099
Do people actually think that design on the top looks good? It's freakish and alien. And animation is about expression through movement, not the complexity of the character designs. Unfortunately nostalgiafags like Otaking have never learned this which is why his character animation is abysmal.
>>
>>149303911
berserk's anime looked genuinely fucking terrible though, compared to the current one yeah it looks good but lets not praise something with rose tinted goggles like this.
>>
>>149305910
I'm sure you'll disagree but we're both not wrong. I would rather have beautiful art slideshows than shit art with amazing animation. Now if they can pull both off fantastically, not just averagely, then that's the best case scenario.
>>
>>149305910
The designs in macross were really bad, especially worse in the TV show which was so off model most the time that it really brought down the show. The people complaining about quality now dont even know the shit you have to put up with in 70's to early 80's anime.
>>
>>149302710
why the fuck would they bother with learning traditional, when their pay is shit and their product of hardwork is easily pirated by the whole world?

Fucking conservatives, kill yourselves
>>
>>149302710
>3D is accessible to anyone with a laptop
post your work
>>
>>149306027
Kill nyatorrent and kissanime
>>
File: file.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>149302710
What's really funny and sad is the anime industry is fucking behind on the use of 3D. I'm not happy that hand drawn is dying, but someone seriously needs to get their shit together, because Videogames are doing 3D anime on the cheap much better, and have been doing so for years.
>>
File: summer_wars_love_machine.jpg (166KB, 1206x660px) Image search: [Google]
summer_wars_love_machine.jpg
166KB, 1206x660px
>>149305983
Summer Wars doesn't even have bad artwork though. The designs were nice and appealing, all of the family members looked distinct. And if you don't think this is cool as fuck I don't know what to tell you.
>>149306008
Yeah, if he wanted to cherry pick he should have used something like Vampire Hunter D. Now those are some sweet designs.
>>
>>149306198
>Summer Wars doesn't even have bad artwork though
I agree. That was a movie and actually did have a good combination of nice art and animation even if a good chunk was CGI. I wasn't disagreeing on the specific example but the concept.
>>
>>149306282
That's cool, and I agree with you to some extent. Trying to emulate anime's limited style character animation with CGI usually looks awful. Cassette Girl is awesome though, and the 2nd best short from the expo.
>>
>>149302710
>using Berserk as if it was a good example
Literally a /v/ thread
>>
>>149306463
>Cassette Girl is awesome though, and the 2nd best short from the expo.
It has a fun premise and is very well executed even if the moral is a bit on the nose. A good example of a combination of good art and very good animation. It seems like we get the best animation out of expos now.
>>
>>149305527
that's because animation is an illusion. As long as you're skilled enough to maintain the integrity of that illusion, you can use any tool you wish.

You can see the tricks used if you're an animation fan. In old bugs bunny cartoons, you knew when a wall was about to break, because the spot where the future hole-in-the-wall was painted with colors that are slightly off from the background.
>>
>>149305099
>imfuckingplying Hosoda's artstyle is bad
KYS
>>
>>149307266
That was a thing in anime too, until recently. Dragon Ball Z did that a ton, because their painted backgrounds had more detailed color than they could use for animated pieces.
>>
>>149307362
Right, so it's only logical that 3D models would be introduced. It was inevitable.

The transition is rocky at best, but I did enjoy its use in the Battle of the Gods movie. Sure, /a/ freaked out over it because you can clearly tell it's CG, but that's not a problem for me. I thought it was blended well and contributed to a great scene. I even thought Satsuki walking up the face of a building in CG was great-- while /a/ decried it as "cheap". In that scene, it communicated an inhuman gait, and a sense of power.
>>
File: Guilty_Gear_1411319412301.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Guilty_Gear_1411319412301.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>149307503
The 3D models/shading looked pretty bad to be fair, but the animation was decent, and they restricted them for the fast movement bits where you couldn't easily tell anyway. Pretty okay use of 3D in my book.

Still, I hope 3D anime gets on the level of Guilty Gear 3rd soon.
>>
>>149302710
I would say the beauty in the art has gone down overall but animation itself is still there and getting better. Sadly because of cgi artstyle may die much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaoaMtW_wT4

Also

What would have happened to the story if Guts was raped by Grifith instead of Casca and she's forced to watch?
>>
File: Mob-Psycho-100-Animated.gif (642KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Mob-Psycho-100-Animated.gif
642KB, 500x281px
>>149302710
mob psycho does well to balance between both
>>
>>149307266
Yeah, i always noticed the obvious object that was about to be used or moved in old animation.

But my point i think Japanese studios aren't experienced enough with cgi yet, it took western studios like Pixar and Disney along time to not make it look awkward. But then again, Pixar and Disney has sort of set the standar for how cgi animation should look.
>>
>>149307712
Mob psycho does it well, i've also noticed some cgi in Drifters who also maintain the balance very well.
>>
File: Toon_xrd_Documentation.jpg (351KB, 1920x2500px) Image search: [Google]
Toon_xrd_Documentation.jpg
351KB, 1920x2500px
>>149307667
3D Guilty Gear requires a shitload of tweaking and shader keyframing to get that 2D look though.
Here's an excellent behind the scenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E
>>
>>149302710
>cares if it actually sells units?

money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money ... money!
>>
>>149307902
>3D Guilty Gear requires a shitload of tweaking and shader keyframing to get that 2D look though.
And it's completely worth it. Hopefully they'll continue developing that technology to make the process easier.

Still, one should at least be able to expect a XV2 cutscene level of quality.
>>
>>149307667
>Still, I hope 3D anime gets on the level of Guilty Gear 3rd soon.
It's going to have to. If it doesn't happen naturally, I'm probably going to try my luck in the field and force it to happen.

Feasibly, if I create a 3D model rigging/game software hybrid, people will use it to animate.

>>149307902
Incredibly fascinating. In my work, I had begun brainstorming how to achieve the look of a 2D projection in 3D. This video is right up my alley.

I was dreaming of using a vector sprite at 8 orientations on a layer above the wireframe model.

Now let's see their solutions. If it's real-time I'm gonna flip.
>>
>>149307667

As great as GGXRD looks, I highly doubt we're gonna see that quality of 3DCG TV anime anytime soon.

As the video from >>149307902 points out, it takes more effort to make 3d look like that than just going 2d.
>>
>>149302710
No it isn't. Watch good anime instead of cash-in adaptations of memes trashy manga that only got the quality they deserved.
>>
File: do_you_remember_love.gif (3MB, 480x260px) Image search: [Google]
do_you_remember_love.gif
3MB, 480x260px
>>149302710
>Learning 2D animation takes decades to master.
>assuming you need to 'master' it to produce good 2D work

Eh, not really?

A good course of study and enough practice can make someone pretty decent at 2D animation in a short span of time, depending on the skill and ability of the individual.

Like any skill, it can be difficult, but it's mostly just time-intensive. Hell, ONE GUY made 1992's "Shojou Tsubaki MIDORI" all by himself in 5 years.

Plus, producing 2D animation is fucking easy with all of the programs making it totally simple nowadays, with the likes of DigiCel and Moho on the market.
>>
File: slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif (787KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif
787KB, 480x360px
>>149307902
>It's real time
>>
>>149302710
If 3d shows sell like shit, they'll stop making them. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case.
>>
I am not against 3D CGI as a whole. But when I watch hand-drawn stuff I do so because I want to see the pictures move. It's also kinda impressive to see something well animated in 2D, like a good character animation, action sequences, clothes and hair that move according to character's movement and weather, full-animation of the scene where camera moves freely for a few seconds, relatively detailed mechanical stuff, environmental destruction, smoke. I can appreciate these things.

There is nothing really impressive about camera rotating around 3D model. It doesn't really help that a lot of these 3D crutches are badly animated too. For fucks sake if you don't want to draw all those frames at least get some decent puppeteer to move around your models. I don't really mind 3D animation as its own thing when the whole thing is 3D CGI.

The problem is that with more and more anime using 3D CGI for more difficult scenes or just as a crutch there will also be less animators with enough skills to pull-off those scenes in 2D. For example look how mecha anime was slowly evolving during cel era and animators were getting better at perspective and keeping their forms more precise. Now not many new animators are really pursuing these skills since 3D CGI on mechanical stuff is basically standard today. (Also it doesn't help that 2D animators are being paid shit.) Part of the problem is that not many people give a shit. Or even worse when there are people claiming 3D CGI to be the evolution of anime. It really doesn't "evolve" anything, rather replaces with cheaper and more practical alternative.
>>
File: nar (1).gif (880KB, 480x280px) Image search: [Google]
nar (1).gif
880KB, 480x280px
>>149307667
>Guilty Gear
Worse than Naruto
>>
File: tumblr_nsmrd7YTdt1rs5gxyo1_500.gif (1MB, 500x255px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nsmrd7YTdt1rs5gxyo1_500.gif
1MB, 500x255px
>>149311627
>>
File: tumblr_nsmrd7YTdt1rs5gxyo2_500.gif (2MB, 500x264px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nsmrd7YTdt1rs5gxyo2_500.gif
2MB, 500x264px
>>149311713
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.