[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the fantasy genre in a bad place right now? It can be basically

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

File: 15.jpg (329KB, 1280x1817px) Image search: [Google]
15.jpg
329KB, 1280x1817px
Is the fantasy genre in a bad place right now? It can be basically summed up as

>generic Isekai fantasy anime
>"ironic" Isekai fantasy anime where the MC is useless
>MMO Isekai fantasy anime
>fantasy anime based directly on a video game
>"dark" fantasy anime that is really just a generic fantasy with tons of rape and gore
>generic fantasy with a twist at the start but ends up being a boring "humans are the worst monsters" story
>battle harem
>>
>>148501838
Yeah, even fantasy outside of anime is in a bad place. There hasn't been an original setting in years. It's always some variation on not!medievalEurope.
>>
>>148501838

arakure and yuugir's artstyles and settings are similar

I get them mixed up sometimes
>>
Not really, Game of Thrones is pretty well-done all things considered.
>>
>>148501838
Overlord is probably the best Isekai fantasy series in a long while aside from its public image problem.
>>
Nobody is willing to come up with their own ideas, or at least use ideas that are very rarely explored.
>>
>>148501838
Yes, and your picture is part of the problem.
>>
>>148502588
Game of thrones is garbage.
>>
>>148502662
>Generic powerfantasy isekai

'no'
>>
>tfw it's been years since we had a proper dark and gloomy anything where everybody dies and nobody wins
>>
>>148502662
Overlord is generic wish-fulfillment MMO isekai with the only twist being "MC got transformed into a lich"
>>
>>148501838
>tfw all the greentext only describes one Isekai anime each (except the battle harem)
>>
what do you want in a fantasy anime?
>>
>>148502789
Get a load of "I watched season 1 and hated it" over here. Go read the books.
>>
>>148501838
>>generic fantasy with a twist at the start but ends up being a boring "humans are the worst monsters" story
what's with japan's obsession with this shit?
>>
>>148502901
Can you not seriously name more than one MMO isekai anime?

Also, I think OP meant LN/mango as well.
>>
>>148502588
fucking Berserk rip-off
>>
>>148502789
Compared to shit that /a/ worships like Re:Zero or Overlord, it's on a totally different level of quality.
>>
>>148502987
ok there's two (SAO and Log Horizon)

I'm not counting .hack
>>
>>148502945
I don't read or watch garbage
>>
>>148502943
Creative monsters and classes (no elves, orcs, etc). Desert setting. No vidya nonsense.
>>
>>148501838
Dungeon Meshi is good. I wouldn't be surprised if it got an anime soon, either.
>>
never mind present, creative monsters have never been apart of fantasy (always the same elves, dwarves, and beastfolk)
>>
>>148503184
was meant for >>148503127
>>
>>148502846
but at least the MC isn't a fuccboi
>>
>>148502945
>the books

You mean the version of the story padded with useless filler wrongfully hyped as "worldbuilding" that will never ever be finished?
>>
>>148503254
Please define world building
>>
>>148501838
Fantasy is in a bad spot because of the way it works. If you want good fantasy, you have either have to make a good world or jump into an established world. This either takes a whole lot of preparation time or cheapens the artistic product. The more fantasy products get produced, the more taxing will be the experience on the readers. At this point, we're already in a bad spot and we didn't even start talking about a story. It's the same thing with sci-fi and it's why those get lumped together so often. The world itself is a piece of the artistic product. Having a good one doesn't turn your product into a top seller but having a bad one dooms you.

So, producers try to be smart and invest in established universes/worlds. That's why you get the generic LN adaptations with the same setting all over again. It's not because all Japanese are unimaginative hacks, it's the LN authors. Most of them are trash. Their works are comparable to mass productions of Twilight. The garbage sells, because people love garbage in book format. It's not good for quality adaptations, but producers don't understand that.

So we have multiple layers of productions that apply formulas. The author don't try out new stuff, that would be risky as it's not tested and it might expose them as the hacks they are. Producers apply formulas because no one needs to put extra work in making a quick selling product that is probably mid to low quality anyway. "Works or doesn't work" cannot be of big concern for making adaptation decisions. Formulas are applied that determine whether the silly garbage fantasy series/LN/manga/anime gets an adaptation in a different medium.

Nothing about today's fantasy stuff is about the art of telling a story and that's why we will continue to get a lot of unoriginal garbage that should actually never transition from one medium to another.
>>
>>148503565
tl;dr: bias and uneducated opinions
>>
>>148502789
The song of ice and fire is very good, actually. It's been a big deal among non-plebs for many years before the live adaptation was in the making.
>>
>>148503034
Overlord, Grimgar, NGNL to an extent.

>>148503235
He's still a whiny bitch who was given OP abilities.
>>
>>148503610
I have no fucking idea what you're trying to express.
>>
>>148503738
>Grimgar, NGNL
those aren't MMOs

NGNL isn't even close to one
>>
>>148503640

The books are SAO tier for fantasy plebs.
The show is dumb with two-three top tier characters but its the only high value production of a fantasy TV show that we'll get in 20 years so we tolerate how dumb it is.
>>
>>148502399
I would want a fantasy anime set in Not!Sengoku Japan

there's a lot of fantasy anime/manga set in Japan itself but not one set in another world entirely styled after it.
>>
The only exposure to fantasy that most japanese authors have are shitty jrpgs or shitty light novels inspired by shitty jrpgs. They need to read more outside their comfort zone and work on their world building.
>>
>>148503784

Grimgar practically operates on MMO rules right down to mana usage and the staticness of the world. Mankind is on the verge of extinction but everyone carries on like there isn't a major war for the fate of civilization going on.
>>
>>148503784
They all feature MMORPG setting and tropes.

Oh, also Druaga, even though it's based on a game predating MMOs by many years.
>>
>>148503640
Its pretentious try hard nerd shit masquerading as high-brow literature
>>
>>148503009
No, it's honestly edgy for being edgy and that disgusts me
>>
>>148503921
>watch only fantasy anime set in Not!Medieval Europe
>tell OTHERS to go out of their comfort zone

Like most battle shounen ARE fantasy series
>>
>>148503894

Thats because Sengoku era Japan is a rather boring place that requires superpowers and the presence of Western or otherwise foreign powers to spice it up (see: Katanagatari, Rurouni Kenshin, Inu Yasha, Nobunaga the Fool, etc.). The most interesting fantasy and medieval-lite series in recent memory take place on other fairy tale like worlds and in regions which saw constant medieval warfare.
>>
>>148503941

How was Tower of Druaga? I really liked Tears to Tiara so I'm willing to stomach a series as plain as that at this point.
>>
File: 1322593596467.jpg (10KB, 168x167px) Image search: [Google]
1322593596467.jpg
10KB, 168x167px
>>148504014
>unironically using edgy
>>
File: sicaa1.gif (460KB, 800x542px) Image search: [Google]
sicaa1.gif
460KB, 800x542px
>>148503921
I wish more fantasy works didn't use the standard quasi-medieval sword-and-sorcery shit.
>>
>>148501838
It's always been like this. 99% of fantasy is shit, you just remember only the good ones and forget the bad ones.
>>
>>148504079
Not him I think it's a good series, first one better than the second. Nothing amazing, but worth watching.
>>
>>148504101
Ok then, it's honestly violent and sexual for the sake of being violent and sexual and that disgusts me
>>
>>148504163

Definitely will pick it up then, thanks.
>>
>>148504178
The funny thing about your retarded logic is that there would never be a reason for a show to ever be violent or sexual.
Fuck off. You can just say you don't like it without all the buzzwords. I'm sure you like Berserk just fine.
>>
>>148504178
You disgust me faggot
>>
>>148504079
It's not particularly bad, but filled with the most generic fantasy tropes. /a/ never talks about it because it's utterly forgettable.
Rewatch Lodoss War instead.
>>
>>148504178

The word you're looking for is gritty. GoT attempts to be so gritty that it jumps the fence into satire.

>>148504262

>tfw you're so autistic you have to rant on anyone who uses the word 'edgy'
>>
>>148504262
Of course there would, a death or a birth that impacts the story in a major way. For example, near the beginning of season 1, the peasant boy friends with the royal girl is killed by the Hound, which changed absolutely nothing and was completely uneeded
>>148504314
Yes, that's the word, I wasn't remembering
>>
>/a/nons don't realize there are tons of fantasy series not set in Not!Europe but they won't watch them because they are not set in Not!Europe
>tfw /a/ is tsundere for Medieval fantasy
>>
>>148504314
>GoT attempts to be so gritty that it jumps the fence into satire.
Is this what people tell themselves?
>>
File: Favaroooo.png (906KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Favaroooo.png
906KB, 1280x720px
>>148501838
Last Fantasy anime I enjoyed was Shingeki no Bahamut. It had plenty of problems and became a bit of a mess towards the end, but goddamn I enjoyed it. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes with the sequel.
>>
>>148504609

KonoSuba didn't fit with you?
>>
>>148502945
I did. They are awful after book 2. GRRM is a hack fraud and 2deep4me 15 year olds eat his shlock up because they don't have the education or literature repertoire to know the difference.
>>
>>148503640
Fantasy for normalfags with a heavy helping of hack writing all written at a 9th grade level.

Nah, they're shit desu wa.
>>
>>148504665
I liked KonoSuba, but more as a comedy rather than fantasy. SnB just appealed to me since it didn't have your typical MC design/personality and it wasn't yet another LN adaption.
>>
>>148501838
As always, 90% of everything is shit. No reason why this would be different for fantasy settings. Ignore the 90% and seek earnestly for the 10% and you will be happy.
>>
Arakure's orcrape mangoes are quite hot, yes indeed.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.