[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are parents almost universally absent in high school anime?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: haganai04d[1].jpg (114KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
haganai04d[1].jpg
114KB, 1280x720px
Why are parents almost universally absent in high school anime? Do the creators believe that an absence of parents makes the show better? Or is it just a trope at this point, and everyone is just following along? It's getting to the point where it's hard to suspend my belief for the hundredth time I see that the parents are away on a business trip, or that the parents have passed away leaving an older sibling to watch after the younger sibling(s).

Please ignore the OP image, it is simply the best girl from their respective anime.
>>
2lazy to write parents in
>>
>>148217800
>GUYS WHY ISN'T ANIME LIKE REAL LIFE
Fuck off.
>>
>>148218471
I literally never said that, I'm just wondering why having no parents is such a common theme.
>>
>>148217800
Which one?

The ones I saw had parents, from Clannad to SYD to even School days
>>
>>148217800
>>148218873
Long answer: It's too avoid reminding the reader/viewer about real life. Just like how there aren't any UGLY protagonists (most of them are just average), they don't want to put off potential viewers/readers who may (be self conscious and) believe they are ugly. Likewise, parents can be a touchy sibject because they can be abusive, divorced, etc. The concept of parents also reminds the viewers about their futures and possibly the responsibilities that come with them like getting married, having kids, buying a house, etc. This is counter productive in terms of making an ideal setting for the reader to self-interest themselves into the story and ruins the immersion.

Short answer: because it's realistic and real life sucks
>>
>>148218968
Fair enough, but you can't deny that many anime do this.
>>
>>148219316
And many anime do. It's not almost-universal

I'm not picking on semantics or anything but you really need to watch more. You can't make such a generalized assumption based on small sampling
>>
They're not good writers.
>>
>>148217800
Dad: At a soul-crushing office job. Mom: taking care of the house/siblings/at her own soul-crushing job.
>>
Because the writers' parents were similarly absent and they're basically just putting their teenage daydreams onto TV.
>>
File: tumblr_mke452B4XK1ruurg9o3_1280.png (807KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mke452B4XK1ruurg9o3_1280.png
807KB, 1280x720px
Worst shit from Haganai.
>>
>>148217800
Well in Naruto, his parents were introduced and talked about at one point, and the pandering was incredibly bad.

Are you sure you want more anime to do that
>>
File: hkMgD[1].jpg (90KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
hkMgD[1].jpg
90KB, 1280x720px
>>148220107
Incidentally, the worst shit from Haganai was actually the only parent they showed.
>>
>>148217800
>This is only a personal view, but when I see a love comedy where the parents are on overseas business trips for no real reason and a non-blood related sister moves in instead, I can’t help but think, “What, did you send the unneeded parent cards to the sacrifice corner to summon the ultimate cute girl card from your deck?”
>>
>Mom, can these sluts move into our house?
>No.

>Mom, can I go out at 2 am to save the universe from Demon Lord Hellnix?
>No.
>>
File: 1475605612747.jpg (15KB, 398x369px) Image search: [Google]
1475605612747.jpg
15KB, 398x369px
>>148217800
Well, obviously they don't include parents as this is nothing but an irrelevant factor in the plot. For plot-wise, they tend to minimize characters for them easilly nature characters both from the author and animators.
>>
>>148222216
>For plot-wise, they tend to minimize characters for them easilly nature characters both from the author and animators.

Try again.
>>
>>148217800
Evangelion probably has the best representation of parents in the medium
>>
File: shiggy.jpg (83KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
shiggy.jpg
83KB, 500x500px
>>148222216

>For plot-wise, they tend to minimize characters for them easilly nature characters both from the author and animators.
>>
>>148221829

Whoa whoa whoa there motherfucker

Did you just say that Pegasus was shit

I will fucking fight you get over here you fcking fgt
>>
>>148222035
This.
If parents are present, contrived situations become even more contrived because you have to explain away why a reasonable adult would allow shit to happen.
Releasing the characters from the primary source of order and embodiment of regulation in their lives is necessary to create a free space for disorder, romance, adventure, etc.
>>
>>148217800
Because parents ruin things. Like >>148222035 and >>148226505 said, they're removed so you can have fun/interesting situations you wouldn't have in normal life.

Either that or you keep the parents and they're just straight retarded, yes I'm talking about you DXD.
>>
>>148219313
That's pretty fucking retarded. Also, there are plenty of good anime with parents in them, OP just needs to watch more anime.
>>
>>148217800
Japanese children are borderline feral
>>
>>148220781
>pandering
I remember it being stupid as fuck, but I don't remember any pandering.

Minato being anything to naruto over than a hokage/inpirational figure was a mistake, Iruka, Jiraiya, and Sarutobi were supposed to be like his brother, father, and grandfather.
>>
>>148226505
>kids
>giving a fuck what their elders tell them to do/not do
Oh wait I forgot, this is japan where everyone is raised to be a submissive faggot.
>>
>>148217800
One of the few things I prefer about chink stories

Parents exist and they're usually helpful well developed characters in their own right
>>
Manga was born as teenage/children fantasy stories that happen when parents aren't present, in Japan this is a particularly important part f their culture as most nips are very attached to their parents well into adulthood, meaning they fantasize about this more often.
>>
>>148217800
I remember in higurashi the parents were horrible
They left their son to die
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.