[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I really like the original ghost in the shell movie. It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: ghost-in-the-shell.jpg (130KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
ghost-in-the-shell.jpg
130KB, 1000x563px
So, I really like the original ghost in the shell movie. It's among my favorite movies in general. I noticed there's a lot of successive content for it like Stand alone complex, a sequel, and now even more movies and ova productions.

Is any of it worth watching? Is any of it worth avoiding?
>>
I'll do one lil bumpy and then retreat into the shadows.
>>
You haven't even seen Innocence? Fucking hell man, watch that shit right now.

Stand Alone Complex is like marmite for a lot of people but it's pretty solid and worth at least checking out a few episodes. The other movies are garbage from what I've heard.
>>
>>146543677
Ah so the newer things with blue hair motoko are trash? Well thank you for the input!
>>
>>146543814

No problem, just be sure to watch GOTS II: Innocence when you can. Same director as the first, gorgeous art design and music, may get 2pretentious4u at times but absolutely worth looking at.
>>
SAC is really different to the movie but very good. Haven't watched Arise yet but heard it's pretty bad.

There's also the movie sequel, Innocence, but it's trash.
>>
>>146543076
Just
Watch
All
Of
Them
OP
>>
If you like gits the movie, i'd suggest watching all of the franchise. except arise its kinda ehhh.
>>
>>146543076
Watch innocence and SAC, do not watch anything since, and read the manga if so inclined
>>
>>146543076
Did you read the manga?
>>
>>146543076
Both seasons of SAC are great. Everything else is mediocre but watchable and Innocence is absolute shit.
>>
>>146543076
SAC is significantly better than GiTS '95 because it actually has a plot and characters.
>>
>>146545136
this

I love the aesthetic of the 95 film but SAC is much more enjoyable to watch
>>
File: innocence-ghost-in-ii-2004-04-g.jpg (174KB, 1200x674px) Image search: [Google]
innocence-ghost-in-ii-2004-04-g.jpg
174KB, 1200x674px
>>146543076
I liked innocence as much as the first movie. They're very different, but I think they're both beautiful.
Innocence tends to take itself too serious and get overly philosophical, but the visuals, audio, direction and overall atmosphere are great. You should definitely give it a watch.

SAC is different. I liked it too, but don't expect the same quality in visuals or atmosphere. It's a solid series and if you enjoy cyberpunk settings this should be an enjoyable watch. There's more character building so the crew is definitely more likeable here. The music is god tier too.
The OVAs resemble the series and can be watched afterwards.

Arise isn't up to par and is pretty mediocre. It doesn't excel in plot nor visuals. It certainly isn't up to the standards of the movies or SAC.

tl;dr go watch the second movie and the series.
>>
SAC kinda sucks if you compare it to the movie. But it's enjoyable.
>>
File: うかみ - こうかく!.jpg (2MB, 2000x1772px) Image search: [Google]
うかみ - こうかく!.jpg
2MB, 2000x1772px
Ugh... the first TV series is sort of OK but everything else goes downhill. Arise is mediocre.

I´d just go with the manga, the first movie, and Innocence. Everything else only if you have nothing else to do.
>>
>>146543076
>So, I really like the original ghost in the shell movie. It's among my favorite movies in general.
Same boat as me.
>Is any of it worth watching?
Everything else is shit.

>>146545136
Gb2Reddit Laughing Meme Man!
>>
File: disdain for plebs.jpg (26KB, 400x462px) Image search: [Google]
disdain for plebs.jpg
26KB, 400x462px
>>146546145
>>146546151
>>146545930
>all this shit taste
>>
>>146543076
Arise is ok, but is the weakest of all the offerings.
SAC is overall really good as long as you can treat it as its own offering and not judge it by the standards of the movies.
SAC gave me what I wanted out of the characters.
>>
OP here, I stepped out a bit but I really appreciate all the suggestions. I will definitely hunt down innocence and I'll give Stand alone a try. But seems most everyone agrees to pass on arise and the recent stuff?
>>
>>146545136

While I wouldn't say "significantly better" (they each do what they're trying to do very well), you're dead on. Characters took a backseat to monologues in '95; Oshii fell so in love with the philosophical wankery that he forgot the manga was also full of vividly-drawn characters.
>>
>>146545136
I think the first film comes off that way because the only characters who REALLY matter are the puppet master and motoko and a lot of who they are comes out from either visuals or dialogue
>>
>>146543076
The stand alone complex series is the best part of the franchise.
>>
>>146548630
I didn't dislike the Arise stuff and the latest film in the same continuity but it definitely is the worst in the series to date. That said in terms of anime overall I would say it is still at least decent just when compared to a franchise that has been fairly consistently near fantastic or better a lot of people found it a big let down. I would still say it was worth watching if you get that far but still want more GiTS.
>>
>>146543076
You could try reading the manga but if you're used to the movie's style of presentation it will be "an acquired taste" to say the least.
>>
>>146549345
>The stand alone complex series is the best part of the franchise.
Stop posting.
>>
>>146546394
The show is a good procedural but the movie is art.
>>
Stand Alone Complex is a good series. Definitely not as good as the movie but it's okay.

Innocence is a little pretentious but it's okay as a movie too.

Don't bother with Arise. It's fucking terrible.
>>
>>146543076
Both seasons of SAC are great, and Innocence isn't as good as the original movie but still better than 90% of the crap out there.

>>146545136
Rarely have I seen such faggotry, even on this board. The '95 film was an incredible blend of visuals, music and themes that a TV series simply can't hope to match due to budget and time constraints.
>>
>>146553614
This is the best way to put it.
>>
>>146553948
Except it means nothing.
>>
>>146553834
>blend of visuals, music and themes
notice how none of those things are plot and characters
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.