[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What constitutes being a pleb? Taste or time spent/shows watched?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 9

What constitutes being a pleb?

Taste or time spent/shows watched?

Is someone who's watched <30 shows and has "good taste" more of a pleb than someone who's watched hundreds of shows and has "passable taste"?

I wanna know
>>
>>146165910
your taste will always be shit no matter how many shows you watch
>>
me = patrician
Not me = plebeian
>>
>>146166023
fair enough
>>
File: 1462287446455.gif (3MB, 800x676px) Image search: [Google]
1462287446455.gif
3MB, 800x676px
>>146165910
Taste, but the latter typically plays into the former.

Experience is ultimately the deciding factor in whether or not someone has good taste, since recognizing the inherent qualities of media can only be accomplished through comparison. Note that I used the word "media" and not anime; a man who reads books all day and becomes learned with storytelling may translate that experience over when watching anime.

Being a pleb is fine though.
>>
The more experience you accumulate the more you become able to discern quality. Like with spirits, you may in the beginning think that all beer tastes the same. Eventually you figure out the differences in how bitter they are, how deep the aftertaste is and which styles you enjoy the most.
>>
>>146165910
being a shitter or not
>>
people who have watched less shows than me=filthy casual
people who have watched more shows than me=austist
people who have watched the same number of shows as me=faggots because they aren't me
>>
Anyone who hates a genre and not individual shows.
>>
>>146166843
Sup /v/.
>>
Someone that has watched hundred of shows has probably watched a big variety of genres and knows his/her shit more.
Some who only watched 20 anime might just have only watched let's say 20 action anime, they may be the best action anime ever but someone who hasn't watched something from every genre at least once is still a pleb.
>>
File: 1458704384813.png (188KB, 700x709px) Image search: [Google]
1458704384813.png
188KB, 700x709px
>>146166583
Plebian is meme vocabulary meant to shame someone for their enjoyment of mainstream content that they view as bad. It's Cowboy Bebop versus SAO. It's Gurren Lagann versus Naruto. Your experience doesn't qualify you for being a pleb, their interpretation of your experience does.
>>
>>146166908
insincere jaded contrarian bullshit, like your post, is literally /v/ incarnate

grow up
>>
>>146166023
/thread
>>
>>146167080
I've been sitting here for 10 minutes and I think you're right, my post was really dumb.
>>
File: garbage.png (171KB, 1219x879px) Image search: [Google]
garbage.png
171KB, 1219x879px
>>
>>146166583
>>146167042
This is about it.

People love to go on about how many series they see but in reality bunch of them just inflate their numbers with ova and specials who's only purpose is to sell blu rays.
>>
File: sayonara shadow the hedgehog.png (320KB, 600x461px) Image search: [Google]
sayonara shadow the hedgehog.png
320KB, 600x461px
>>146167583
Time to go through the checklist
>Gurren Lagann
>Jojo
>Pokemon
>Gundam in general
>Doctor Who
>Metal Gear
>Kojima in general
>Zelda
>Any cartoon that aired on Nick during 90s
>Persona
>Rick and Morty
>post-Wii Nintendo products
>Pink Floyd
>Beatles
>Queen
>Daft Punk
I mean obviously I get that the point of the list is that /everybody/ fails the test, but I like to think I did pretty well. At least I'm not much of a /co/-fag.
>>
>>146166990
>someone who hasn't watched something from every genre at least once is still a pleb
One is too little. A guy can come off with the impression that Eva and Madoka are representative of Mahou Shoujo and Mecha. You gotta watch at least three anime of each genre, preferably as different as possible from each other in style and/or period, before you can claim you're not a complete pleb. Some stuff like mecha require even more anime before you can claim to know anything about it.
>>
>>146167583
I know this is a joke but fuck man it's triggering the shit out of me
>>
File: 1464894395612.jpg (63KB, 640x500px) Image search: [Google]
1464894395612.jpg
63KB, 640x500px
>>146166990
Not even true; there is enough anime out there that someone who has watched hundreds of shows could have only seen a decent portion of what is in a handful of genres. I've seen "hundreds of shows", I know next to nothing about sports, musical, shonen, drama, historical, tragedy, yaoi to name a few big genres, maybe having seen one or two or none for some of these sections, without even getting into more niche subgenres.

There are genres I have never touched, and have no intention to; I simply do not find particular premises interesting, I have nothing against them, and I have nothing against someone who doesn't love what I like.

A pleb is a term which can be applied to anyone for acting too big for their britches. Most commonly seen when someone tries to look clever or thinks that people are going to agree with them and turn out saying something silly.

Basically the deal with being a pleb in anime, or in any other 'fandom' (let's say guns; there are many different kinds of hobbyists. the historians who know all the historical shit, the tacticool guy who knows all the latest attachments and dvrs futureweapons but has never actually fired or cleaned his AR, bubba, etc... All are knowledgeable about different things, and any one of them can make an ass of themselves when opening their mouth about something they're NOT knowledgeable about. You can be a pleb in a sub-discipline of a field. Like someone who can drive but can barely parallel park etc... Or someone who can cook well but not bake.

I'd say the same is more or less true with anime

Unless you literally watch ALL genres, in which case I'm guessing your job is to professionally watch anime, or you're some kind of fucking weirdo, you will be more versed in the trends, history, etc... of what you have a personal affinity to/watch more of.
>>
File: wdutwa.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
wdutwa.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>146168937
>or you're some kind of fucking weirdo
>>
>>146165910
Anyone who's able to explain why they like or hate something without recurring to buzzwords has good taste to me.
>>
File: wherethehelldoyouthinkweare.jpg (92KB, 1067x800px) Image search: [Google]
wherethehelldoyouthinkweare.jpg
92KB, 1067x800px
>>146169096
You know what I mean, sure everyone is into some weird shit, but nobody is into EVERYTHING weird OR mainstream let alone both AND all niche tangents.
>>
Aside from this >>146167042, if your only approach to fiction has been anime, you'll be a pleb no matter how many shows you've watched in your life.

You may watch 600 animus and develop some taste or even refine your preferences, you might become knowledgeable about the media and its tropes. However, being narrow-minded is one thing a true patrician will never be.
>>
>>146165910
Having Gintama anywhere within "favorite anime". Yes it is funny that's about it. I think that if you don't like the same shows I admire you are instantly a pleb deserve to fuck off with your shit opinion. Now if we have similar tastes you are my trustworthy compatriot.
>>
File: 1403912601318.png (598KB, 722x525px) Image search: [Google]
1403912601318.png
598KB, 722x525px
>>146165910
It really depends how you define yourself actually. Some things just take a lot of time and experience to really understand the ins and outs of. Things you might have thought are cons turn out to be pros, things you might have thought are pros turn out to be cons etc. It seems many newfags realize a lot of us here have been at this for a decade+, maybe decades, and they feel so small in comparison that they look for all manner of convenient detours to try to deem themselves equivalent to people clearly way the fuck more knowledgeable than them.

If I am say, a fan of scotch whisky, if I buy the best 10 single malts, cask strengths etc ever made, and have never had other scotch besides this besides maybe some storebought mediocre crap just to try to claim that I have a grounded idea of what ordinary vs extraordinary tastes like, and am basically am just cribbing my notes off the internet on why these are so good, does that make me as good as the guy who has tried 100 types of scotch in addition to the ones I bought? No. Fuck no. Nothing substitutes experience and gradually forming your own true philosophy that you're confident works well in helping you get the most out of something, at least for yourself. People hearing you talk, if they really got you going that is, don't need to be told you're a pro; you don't need to claim it. They can just see it. I've found that as you become a true expert in something you start to really give less and less of fucks about what the "pros" have to say at all about anything because you can stand up on your own two feet to articulate on why something is underrated or overrated, again purely out of your own head out of what you have experienced and not just copying someone else's thoughts.

This "there are only 10 good anime worth watching thus my opinions are as good as you who saw 1000 shows" is, germane to OP, the most fucking pleb thing you can say. If someone says that, call him out.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.