[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any legitimate oldfags here? What was the anime culture

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: animefandomnyc-07.jpg (101KB, 628x497px) Image search: [Google]
animefandomnyc-07.jpg
101KB, 628x497px
Any legitimate oldfags here? What was the anime culture like 30 years ago?
>>
>>145403416
nonexistant
>>
>>145403416
Back then you'd import bootleg VHS with shit tier subtitles and trade them with friends so that you don't go bankrupt.

Manga translation was like todays doujin translations, complete rewrites, with some random Japanese sentences that the TL couldn't translate left in there.
>>
>>145403416
Gay
>>
>>145403416
Like the pedo industry today. We would trade VHS with subtitltes per delivery. There were also some shops that dealt with VHS behind the counter.
>>
>>145403416
What a time it really was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZmRw9o63RM
>>
>>145403416
Well, I'm 30ish, so I can tell about 15 years ago or so. Bought bootleg DVDs on a bootleg market 2 subway stops from my house. Basically, 4-5 episodes per disc. But the market didn't have Utena. So I went to a bigger bootleg market across town. Bought series and movie for what today is roughly $60. Was stoked af. Now those DVDs just lay gathering dust, because I know they're shit quality and if I ever do a rewatch I just torrent it in HD. But still can't throw them away because of the memories of how I anticipated buying them and how awesome it felt when I finally got my hands on them.
Then I discovered torrents. Downloaded more obscure shit with the speed of like 4-5 kbps. About a week per download. And loved it. I feel that now I don't appreciate things that much because of how easily accesible they are. Back then there was... a spirit of adventure, perhaps. Or perhaps I'm just getting old.
>>
>>145403416
I didn't even know what anime was 30 years ago but I think we were busy witnessing Marcos getting overthrown by yellowshits or something
>>
Currently I'm on my 20's so I still can relate myself to a lot of series.
But I'm not sure if I can keep enjoying anime if I'm 40's or 50's.
>>
>>145405399
Grumpy Jii-san did
>>
>>145404495
I'm pretty sure the man who made this was trying to shit on anime fans.
>>
File: 1468661698306.png (8KB, 687x450px) Image search: [Google]
1468661698306.png
8KB, 687x450px
>>145405399
>implying you need to be able to relate to a series to enjoy it
>>
>>145404819
I'm curious just how much Generation Z's expectation of everything being instant will effect the workplace and everything in general

I mean back not too long ago I had to wait 25 minutes to load a 4 minute video on dial-up, and now I get annoyed on the very few times my youtube videos take more than 10 seconds to load or when I don't download things faster than 2Mbps
>>
>>145403416
Didn't exist, really. I didn't know what anime was until Sailor Moon got imported, iirc
>>
>>145403416
It depends on where you lived.
In Europe, anime was mostly aired by the French, or we had Heidi, Moomin, Maya the Honey Bee, Alfred J. Qwack and Vicky the Viking.
The Germans treated it as any other cartoon, the French on the other hand were already quite fascinated by its Japanese origin.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.