[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Katsuhiro Otomo, director of Steamboy and Akira >'The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

File: md_geist_awsm1.jpg (24KB, 400x275px) Image search: [Google]
md_geist_awsm1.jpg
24KB, 400x275px
Katsuhiro Otomo, director of Steamboy and Akira
>'The skills of traditional animators have become worse, and notable young animators have not come out to the scene. This is a big issue for the industry. '

Hayao Miyazaki, director of Nausicaä, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away
>"I think Japanese animation is facing a dead end," he said.
>"I think there is a chance that the spread of Japanese animation overseas might only lead to embarrassment."
>And he described younger anime makers as the "copycat generation".

Yoshiyuki Tomino, creator of the Gundam franchise
>"All I can say is that the creative process in Japan is obviously showing a decline."

Hideaki Anno, director of Evangelion
>He feels anime industry is exhausted : A continuing trend of stagnation.
>And said "over the past years, there has been no anime "newer" than Eva."

Satoshi Kon, director of Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika
>He makes a comment: the disposable nature of anime today; back in the days, there was more anticipation and fans digested each work better.
>>
File: 1457562751420.png (799KB, 1045x1030px) Image search: [Google]
1457562751420.png
799KB, 1045x1030px
Please respond to my thread already, /a/.
>>
>>145258790
Then what are they doing to fix this? So much complaining no real solutions?
>>
File: 1366154156033.jpg (34KB, 252x233px) Image search: [Google]
1366154156033.jpg
34KB, 252x233px
I'm sure people used to say the same thing about shoes. "Oh, since we started making shoes in factories, notable young cobblers aren't appearing. I think shoe making is dead. The creative process in making shoes is in decline."

Anime as a medium is fine, it's just that it's largely changed to the use of CG instead of physical drawings so people use different skills in its creation. It doesn't have the "personal touch" anymore, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The only problem here is that old school artists and creators are feeling left behind so they're bitching and moaning about the system because they can't understand it and don't value it since it's changed from what it used to be.

It's the same nostalgic bullshit people always complain about, how things were better in the old days. No they fucking weren't.
>>
>>145259405
I don't think they're referring to drawing skills, exclusively.

More like newer shows are more like rehashes of old ones. There hasn't been as many genre defining/revolutionizing shows as there used to be. Most shows today are about high school romance or high school romance with magic/powers.
>>
File: Geist4.jpg (35KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Geist4.jpg
35KB, 720x480px
>>145258790
Sounds like a bunch of old men that want to be relevent
>>
ITT: Really old statements that don't accurately reflect the anime industry as it is today.
>>
>>145258790
>The skills of traditional animators have become worse, and notable young animators have not come out to the scene
It's like he never bothered to check out the young animators who worked on shows like Space Dandy, One-Punch Man, and Mob Psycho.
>>
>>145262488

Scroll through the entire catalog then come back here and say that
>>
>>145258790
>'The skills of traditional animators have become worse
Sad part is, this isn't limited to anime.
>>
>>145258790
>"A lot of animation is extremely 'samey"
>anime was almost nothing but science-fiction robots and beautiful little girls, and it just gets boring after a while.
>Animation based on popular comic books and giant robots and big-eyed girls with shamefully skimpy costumes will continue to fill the screen."
-Kon, 1999

>I don’t think there’s any bright future. That’s because the people who are producing it are not doing well.
>The people who make it, and the people who want it, they’re always wanting the same things. They’ve been making only similar things for the past ten years, with no sense of urgency.
-Anno, 1996

>I simply can't discuss the business we are in without a bit of bitterness.
>Mass production has changed everything. The emotions and thoughts that should be so moving have given way to showiness, nervousness, and titillation. And work that should be done lovingly by hand has been whittled away at within organized production systems that focus on straight work for hire. I frankly despise the truncated word "anime" because to me it only symbolizes the current desolation of our industry.
- Miyazaki, 1988

> the hallmark of Japanese animation became works with a great deal of pretension, where vaporous and extremely deformed characters inhabited distorted and flashily colorized worlds, and where time was infinitely expanded. Characters had to be depicted with serious expressions or, when they laughed, with cold, nihilistic smiles, because if shown truly laughing their facial designs would fall apart. Female heroines usually had either, without any particular consistency, gigantic pupils or, when they screwed up, tiny dotlike ones.
- Miyazaki, 1979
Nothing fucking changes.
>>
>>145267429
>Miyazaki complaining about the good old days for fucking fifty years straight
I'm surprised he hasn't killed himself if he really thinks the medium he's dedicated his life to has been dead for that long.
>>
>>145258790
Did Kon really say that, anon? Or did you just make that up?
>>
Jesus fuck Anno is a narcissist, hes really going to suck his own shows dick like that in front of everyone?
>>
>>145268476
The best part is that that "no anime newer than Eva" quote is literally from a promotional piece for 1.11. It's 100% commercial bluster and was probably written by a PR intern before Anno stamped his name on.
>>
>>145267429
No, anon, this time is different from all the others, anime is really dying, I swear.
>>
>>145268827
Reminds me of the delusional faggots on /v/ who think the games industry is going to crash any second now.
>>
>>145269477
The world is ending.
>>
>>145267429
Here's the full Kon quote:
>Basically, I don't think the animation market will change. Animation based on popular comic books and giant robots and big-eyed girls with shamefully skimpy costumes will continue to fill the screen. I think that's okay. These productions fill demands; the audiences for them support the Japanese animation industry. Thanks to them, there is room for a non-mainstream creator like me. Of course, I hope many unusual pieces will appear as well.
>>
It's not fair to compare the modern anime industry back to the 80s when it was primitive and really quite easy to revolutionize the medium

It's been a worldwide industry for about 20 years now, of course they can't keep producing ground breaking shows that redefine animation each time. There are still good and competent shows each year, occasionally some unique ones.
>>
File: xV3p8Cr.jpg (159KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
xV3p8Cr.jpg
159KB, 1920x1080px
What would the old masters say?
>>
>>145270896
>1943
They wouldn't say anything, they'd probably be too busy flipping out over the existence of an active weekly TV industry and the limited animation approach.
>>
>>145258790
t. literally whos and has-beens
>>
>>145270896

They'd say they're impressed that Japanese animation evolved beyond ripping off Disney/Fleischer and would wonder what everyone is complaining about.
>>
Can't wait for all the weeaboos to get their dakis in a bunch cause their generic harem waifubait shit got criticized
>>
>>145258790
>>And he described younger anime makers as the "copycat generation".
Pretty much.
>>
>>145269477
>games industry is going to crash any second now
Nintendo pretty much moved to smartphone tier games. Sony with almost no exclusive. Microsoft being microsoft. PC barely making it.

These are truly dark times.
>>
>List of anime directors complaining about decline in animation
>Picture from MD Geist

I just thought that was amusing.
>>
>>145273017
Pokemon GO is not developed by Nintendo. Exclusives are a thing of the past simply because development costs have gone up and most modern engines allow to build for a variety of platforms. PC gaming is bigger than ever. What are you talking about?
>>
>>145259405
But cobbling used to be an art, and each shoe was actually unique and to some extent carried the artistic intent of its creator.

Now shoes are made en mass by kids in sweatshops, and almost all shoes are specifically made and the designed with the sole purpose of making a profit.
>>
File: houseguest.jpg (10KB, 181x278px) Image search: [Google]
houseguest.jpg
10KB, 181x278px
>>145258790
>caring about the opinions of the literal who's and the yesterdays flavors of anime
ISHYGSDDT
>>
>>145267429
Anime. Anime never changes.
>>
>>145268679
You give Anno too little credit, he really is that full of himself.

On that note, hes right to a certain extent. Everyone in OPs post is basically right.
>>
File: billy.jpg (79KB, 389x600px) Image search: [Google]
billy.jpg
79KB, 389x600px
>Anno
I wish that fucker would have a stroke and die already along with Miyazaki, theyre the worst kind of people complaining about muh nostalgia muh old school art when in fact the real reason they complain is that theyre not relevant and not receiving neet bucks anymore
Fuck them
>>
Until Anno decides to finally make 3.0+1.0 and finish Eva, he can fuck right off.
>>
>>145258790
>I think there is a chance that the spread of Japanese animation overseas might only lead to embarrassment
You're right on the money, Zackey
>>
>>145260907
This tho

Earlier generations of anime didn't have to deal with sifting through the mediocre to shit anime that's mass produced cause being a mangaka/making an anime hit it big

I think there are still good shows, better shows than even before, sometimes
But they just get overshadowed by all the other "copycat" "highschool" "immouto" "ecchi" "magic" "harem" mundanity that everyone's eating up and shitting out again
>>
>>145275001
That's because, back then, there was no true defining points for them to bank, so they were forced to trailblaze it themselves. Capitalism ensures that all pursuits of profit are done taking the angle that assumes the smallest of risks for the biggest of rewards. If there was a well established anime scene back then as it is today, you can bet your ass it would be an apperently stagnant one
>>
>>145270896
Has somebody uploaded Discotek's Dororo subs yet?
>>
>>145275187
Nope
>>
>>145258790
I think Evangelion is overrated...
>>
>>145258790
Every single one of those people is an old fart. How about you quote someone of sound mind?
>>
>>145258790
>>145267429

Looks like they were wrong, the best anime ever was released 5 years ago.
>>
>>145275161
Yeah, I don't disagree at all. I didn't point out as much as I should have that the quality hasn't gone away - it just looks like it has now because we have a standard, and because now it's a lot less risky or unfamiliar ground
>>
>>145258790
Animators need to look outside of anime. Early visionaries like Tomino were influenced by war more than anything. I feel like a lot of people get into anime because they want to tell anime stories, not because they want to tell stories.

I don't want to come off as some /v/ shitter who hates modern anime, but I think the injection of some outside influence would be good.

Previously if an anime wanted to do something like cat girls or maids it'd just do it. Now it'd do that, but obnoxiously throw an otaku lampshade on it. It'd throw around self referential crap. "look how otaku we are"

>>145273035
Geist is a masterpiece tho.
>>
File: 1410540957916.gif (547KB, 198x212px) Image search: [Google]
1410540957916.gif
547KB, 198x212px
Notice a trend OP? They're all over 50 and in the phase the modern days suck and back in my day it was all amazing.

While some may have valid points these people go on like the industry is in a complete mess.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.