[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was your first anime/manga? Do you remember? Do you remember

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 24

File: 1111111111111.png (340KB, 704x400px) Image search: [Google]
1111111111111.png
340KB, 704x400px
What was your first anime/manga? Do you remember? Do you remember the first time you watched subs instead of dubs? And I don't mean seeing DBZ on the TV, that doesn't really count.

I believe the first time I started watching anime/reading manga was some time around 2007/2008? Grade 7, I think. I think the first manga I read any of aside from my brother's occasional Jump, was Sgt. Frog(only know the english name). My friend had that. Come to think of it, I never went back and read it.

I feel like my first manga that I actually sat down and read was Rosario + Vampire. I can't recall if it was in that same friend's magazine, or if I accidentally stumbled across it. I think it was in a Jump. I started reading it and got really into romance stuff, even though there's not that much in it. I would only watch dubs at first so I came across shit like Ah! Megami-sama, Full Metal Panic!, Girls Bravo, Shuffle!, and of course watched shit like Code Geass and Death Note. I remember my first subbed anime was Kanon, because no dubs existed, but I still wanted to watch it. After a while I preferred subs.

What about you guys?
>>
Oh god, it was Oreimo. What a weird start.
>>
>>145123738
My first anime was Elfen Lied when I was 8 or 10. Thanks cousin.
Then my first manga was Yu-Gi-Oh.
>>
Probably Tico of the Seven Seas, my kids loved Free Willy and enjoyed the show too, although I had no idea it's an anime.
>>
>>145123738
It's Naruto. It's always Naruto, the gateway anime.
>>
File: 2003.jpg (1MB, 2560x1724px) Image search: [Google]
2003.jpg
1MB, 2560x1724px
>>145123738
This is my first title.
Slayers Gorgeous was first with sub.
>>
>>145123738
Everything that aired on Adult Swim in the early 00s. I'd stay up until dawn sometimes. First thing I watched when I realized full shows were on YouTube in 2006 was Trigun.
>>
The first non-Toonami anime I watched was Gantz (dubbed), which aired on some premium channel back when I had satellite TV.

The first subbed anime I watched as it was airing was Bakemonogatari. I don't remember why I started with it though. I'm not the biggest Monogatari fan. I've definitely had my ups and downs with the series, but even so it's still kind of special to me.
>>
>>145124445
>not seeing Sailor Moon as your first anime
>>
>>145123738
My first was the first season of pokemon.
>>
Does Speed Racer count? That was probably my first anime.
>>
Caught Princess Mononoke on a cable network.
>>
>>145123738
I remember watching Golden Boy on mtv back in the days, they also showed Inuyasha, these are like the first things I watched. Obviously I watched shit like pokemon and yugioh too. But after that, I didn't watch anime until 5-8 years later. Now I'm at a point where I don't even know what to watch anymore, I get the feeling I've already watched everything that is above an 8/10
>>
File: Chacha.jpg (44KB, 500x581px) Image search: [Google]
Chacha.jpg
44KB, 500x581px
While it wasn't the very first anime I watched, it was the very first one that I watched every single episode of from start to finish.
>>
Elfen Lied, when i was 18. About 2 years ago.

I only started watching it because of the naked girl but then i actually got through the whole thing and it got me kinda emotional and i didnt think that could happen from just a cartoon.
>>
>>145124816
It would have been DBZ but OP said it didn't count. It's always Naruto, the gateway anime.
>>
>>145123738
Well, stuff like Excel Saga, Evangelion, Sakura Card captor, Elfen lied, etc. were airing on TV so they don't really count (And I rewatched them anyway). The first anime I watched must have been Fate stay night or Zero no Tsukaima. But I really started my anime viewing spree with something like Haruhi Suzumiya.
>>
File: 1468431766755.gif (3MB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
1468431766755.gif
3MB, 384x288px
>>145123738
>And I don't mean seeing DBZ on the TV, that doesn't really count
Fuck you, I've been watching it back when it was on Kid's WB
If it helps, I actually prefer the sub & original music now
>>
>>145123738
>First anime
Doraemon

>First subbed anime
Deen F/SN
>>
File: 1457748367518.png (114KB, 400x273px) Image search: [Google]
1457748367518.png
114KB, 400x273px
My 'first' anime would be DBZ, watching it when I was about 10-12.

The first one I sat down and watched was Bleach on shitty streaming sites when I was about 14-15 ish.

I would always go dubs at first, but slowly moved towards subs for newer stuff. I can't watch DBZ with subs, it just feels wrong.
>>
>>145123738
My first was Evangelion when I was 5 eventho i only watch some of the episodes when I got a glimpse with it. My first series finished all by my own was Battle Programer Shirase. I still prefer localized dubs than subs even to this day tho. Only Ingles dubs are dipshit
>>
>>145123738
TTGL was the first one I didn't drop.
>>
>>145123738
>First anime in my life (i watch it with subs)
Evangelion, It changed everything in my life.
>>
>>145123738
My first anime that I actually seriously watched was AoT but the one that really got me into anime was watching Eva on a whim. I now hate AoT with a fucking passion. I have noticed I grew taste after every year when I watch more anime.
>>
Mine was DxD. Can't remember why though.
>>
>>145123738
Pic related is the earliest anime I can remember, which I specifically knew was anime.

My very first manga was Dragonball Vol. 32, because C18 looked fucking lewd on that cover (which was also my first experience with a smug anime/manga-figure).

My first sub-experience was 3x3 Eyes which I watched on late-night tv.
>>
File: Excel-and-Hyatt-hail-ilpalazzo.jpg (47KB, 720x576px) Image search: [Google]
Excel-and-Hyatt-hail-ilpalazzo.jpg
47KB, 720x576px
My very first anime was probably Doraemon or Pokémon, but my first subbed anime was Excel Saga, since it was all the rage in the late 2000 in Italy.
What got me into anime though is Oreimo.
>>
>>145123738
>first anime
My first anime was the English dubbed version of panty and stocking, and I didn't even know it was an anime at first.

>first manga
The first Manga I bothered spending the time reading was watamote because of the cringe.

>first time watching subs instead of dubs
when i started watching the anime adaption of watamote. Haven't watched anime with dubs since, except for when I watched serial experiments lain 2 months ago.
>>
File: k on 3312.jpg (609KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
k on 3312.jpg
609KB, 1920x1200px
>>145123738
this thing.
>>
File: hm...jpg (39KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
hm...jpg
39KB, 500x380px
>>145123738
The first anime that made me go "this is it, this is what I want to see more of" was Kiki's Delivery Service when I was 11.

For manga, I remember peeking at issues of Shonen Jump and reading bits of One Piece and Shaman King but I got really hooked when I bought Yotsuba&! from a book fair. I also ended up purchasing a shitbunch of Full Metal Alchemist volumes when I was in middle school/high school.

In high school, I joined the anime club and that's where I first experience subbed anime. I was a dub only person when I was younger but I had no choice in this case. I tolerated it at first and then I came to like the japanese voices. Now, it seems too strange for me to watch most anime dubbed. I think the first thing we watched was Kino no Tabi and I immediately found that one later online and marathoned it. We also watched Mushishi, Noein, Yuyu Hakusho (nostalgia), Grave of the Fireflies, Host Club, and Hoshi no Koe.
>>
>>145123738
My first anime was Mazinger Z when I was like 7 and my first manga was fushigi yuugi when I was 10, my first subbed anime was a rurouni kenshin OVA when I was 9.
>>
>>145123738

>First Anime
Trigun

>First Manga
Bleach

>First subbed Anime
FMA:Brotherhood
>>
My first mango was His and Her Circumstances and it didnt even matched to the adaptation's greatness
>>
My first anime, looking at a timeline, would be clanned, but I was just in the room when my siblings watched it and I got interested in what was happening from time to time, after that I watched some animes on and off, not super into it

until one night I started watching oreimo, and didn't stop watching oreimo. I watched that whole show in only 1 sitting, and it was amazing, I've even rewatched the show recently and enjoyed it more then I did the first time, since then I've watched various moe animes and romance and harems, those are mainly what I'll watch

but I'll delve into other types to, I'm enjoying 91 days a lot so far and have been watching sports animes sometimes like haikyuu and currently watching days, when I was on and off on anime in the first place, I watched some of the standard shows like soul eater and other more "actiony" shows but I can say I'm glad I ended up with the cutesy girls and generally moe shows, it's actually what lead me to realize my paternal side and start working at a day care to be honest
>>
My first anime that I remember watching was the Utena movie on some Asian TV channel when I was seven or eight. I had no idea what I was watching at the time, but it had naked cartoon grills and cars so all's good.
>>
If we're talking a show that I first recognized was anime it would be DBZ, otherwise, probably doraemon, or cyborg kuro-chan.
First manga would be SZS or Yozakura Quartet, can't really remember. I borrowed them from a friend.
>>
>>145123738
My first anime was Saiyuki (probably sub but maybe dub). I am eternally grateful to my mother for giving it to me as a gift. First movie was probably Castle in the Sky or Howl's Moving Castle. My family was pretty obsessed with Miyazaki a while back and we would all gather every Saturday night to watch some of his movies.
>>
Not counting gateway shows like Naruto/Pokemon, my first manga was Shaman King and first anime was Azumanga Daioh
>>
>>145126468
Utena movie was absolute garbo though, I imagine even more so when you haven't seen the TV series.
>>
>>145126597
>Shaman King
>Azumanga Daioh
Those two are just as much gateways.
>>
>>145123738
Sword art online on toonami.
>>
>>145123738
Bleach desu senpai. I want ichigo and rukia to be canon
>>
My first anime wasn't anything special, just your typical mainstream gateway Dragonball and Naruto. My first manga was Dr.Slump since I recognized Akira Toriyama's name. The fact that younger me lived somewhat near a Barnes and Noble that kept their manga section surprisingly well stocked helped. I actually went back there a few months ago to buy the Kizumonogatari light novel and they actually added little tags with pictures of some characters to the shelves, which I thought was pretty neat.
>>
>>145123738
Germanfag here. it was 2001/2002
We got this TV Station called "Vox" here.
They had a "Hard and Heavy Hentai Night".
and they almost keep their promises. They cut away everything that shows a dick or pussy ect. But the act of fucking was shown but ehh softcore style. Almost all of these hentais were in japanese with German subs.

They showed:
Glo.ri.a
Midnight Panther
Something with Orchid something
Kite (the violence was uncut !)
Agent Aika (not really hentai but echii enough)

I taped the whole night and spread it in school right after it.

The REAL First Anime i watched in japanese with subs was 2004 when i got first internet. I downloaded Chobits on Bearshare and bingewatched it. After that i Downloaded .//Hack Sign.
>>
>>145127408
also my first Manga i bought was "Banzaii" the German translation of the Shonen Jump Magazine. Right after that i bought the Hellsing Mangas.
>>
File: 1428176823850.png (384KB, 631x720px) Image search: [Google]
1428176823850.png
384KB, 631x720px
Code Geass, I was one of them retards who just browsed /b/ because like 6-7 years if you heard of 4chan you instantly thought of /b/ and I missclicked for the /a/ board and must have seen a CG thread or something and thought fuck it why not.

The ending nearly put me in tears since I wasn't expecting it.
>>
File: 1464791852041.jpg (500KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1464791852041.jpg
500KB, 1080x1080px
Some toonami mecha. I legit can't remember the name but I know it had giant robots and the pilots had this floaty ring thing that would give them a skintight latex bodysuit. And Cyborg 009 was cool as hell during it's darker moments, otherwise I didn't watch it. Might have to actually watch some day.

First anime I watched KNOWING what anime was Read or Die, having been recommended it by some girls I used to talk with over skype 8 years ago when I didn't realize I was such a fucking loser and had confidence.
>>
>>145123738
First anime was Crayon Shin-chan in chinese dub
First manga is probably Dragon Ball
I don't remember my first subbed anime. Hayate no Gotoku ? Suzumiya ? It was around 2006-2007
>>
>>145123738
>first anime
Heidi or Maya the Bee
>first manga
Sailor Moon
>first time you watched subs instead of dubs
'98 when I went to the first con of my country and we had a room with a 10Base-T network for sharing animu and geimu and playing a guys Duke 3D Sailor Moon Mod as well as Quake 2
>>
>>145127532
>Heidi
>Maya the Bee
Du bist auch ein Deutscher oder?
>>
First anime was Naruto but my gateway anime was Elfen Lied.First manga was Elfen Lied.First subbed anime was School Days.
>>
>>145123738
probably the short lived dub of dragonball before z was dubbed.
>>
File: comparisons.png (688KB, 1141x644px) Image search: [Google]
comparisons.png
688KB, 1141x644px
>>145123738
When around 16, had 30 minute bus rides every day, so I needed something to pass the time. I was already playing 2hu by that time, so figured might as well, check some anime.
I got to google, searched for top 10 anime of all time and started with Rozen Maiden, downloading it in three part each through mediafire. It was fun.
Then I got to the original Fullmetal Alchemist and Bleach, which were nice as well. Those I picked because they aired in late-night TV and I sometimes saw parts of them.
I was never really picky in what I watched.
>>
>First anime
GITS, also first subbed
>First manga
Love Hina or Kodomo no Omocha, I don't remember which
>>
>>145127633
>lived dub of dragonball
The series wasn't fully dubbed?
>>
>>145123738
Ironically imouto! Umaru-chan
>>
The first one I ever seen was Nintama Rantaro when I was being watched by my babysitter/obaa-san overseas.

The first one I ever sat down to watch was probably Pokemon, but I would say I never skipped an episode of Yu Yu Hakusho when it aired on TV.
>>
File: Bobobo-y-compañia-11.jpg (230KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Bobobo-y-compañia-11.jpg
230KB, 1024x768px
Probably this one. The first one I remember finishing it. It's still my favourite anime to this date. My first manga was Sgt. Frog.
>>
>>145127719
what kind of top 10 all time list is this lol
>>
Which fucking mecha shit show was it with those stupid rubber jumpsuits and the levitating ring that put them on? I've been trying to figure this out for over an hour now.
>>
>>145128136
G Gundam?
>>
>>145123738
The first anime I watched online was death note.
>>
Doraemon and Captain Tsubasa were extremelly popular when I was a kid. I think the first anime I saw online was Beck.
>>
Evangelion
>>
Guyver, when I was 7 years old
>>
Technically, the first anime I've watched would be Heidi, when I was 3-5 years old.
>>
>>145123738
First anime was either Chobits, Azumanga Daioh or Shugo Chara.
I don't remember which, but all of those were pretty early.
My first subbed anime was One Piece, since the latest episodes weren't dubbed.
My first manga was Karin Vampire.
>>
I read manga before watching anime other than Sailor Moon and Toonami. My first manga was Marmalade Boy back in 2001 or 2002.

My first subbed anime was Cowboy Bebop on the desktop of the computer at the veterinarian I worked for in high school back in 2003 or 2004 or so.

My anime had a normal start, my manga not so typical. But I still have fond memories of that manga and exchanging volumes with a friend of mine at school.
>>
First is probably Kimba the White Lion.

The first I watched in earnest though would be Rurouni Kenshin. Dubbed on TV. So Samurai X.
>>
>>145123738
Watched Naruto subbed on burnt DVDs in like 2006. Stopped watching anime until around 2011 when my friend introduced me to Death Note. It was all downhill from there. Now I'm a huge fucking weeb.
>>
>>145123738
first anime that i could remember - Yuu Yuu Hakusho
first anime subbed in TV - Ninku
first anime watched online - Fate/stay night
first anime downloaded in HD - Gundam 00

any other flips here?
>>
First anime probably Heidi, Maya the bee or similar
First downloaded Excel Saga
First subbed+manga Chobits
>>
File: My anime history.jpg (973KB, 771x8395px) Image search: [Google]
My anime history.jpg
973KB, 771x8395px
>>145123738
SO i was browsing youtube and happened upon death note episode 5. It was kinda interesting (I had seen death note the movie on tv a few years ago). So i put on episode 1 to see how Light got the death note. I instantly got hooked and watched the whole show in 3 days. It completely changed my views on anime. Then i found few more good shows like baccano and monster. Pic related has all of the shows that i have seen, in the exact order i watched them in.
>>
Ninja Scroll
>>
Gunslinger Girl, both my first manga and anime when I was about 15.
>>
Watched Scryed and Gurren Lagann on sci-fi back in high school
First anime I watched start from finish was FMA brotherhood. First Subbed anime was SAO, I believe. First anime I downloaded was Spice and Wolf.

First manga was Punpun
>>
Sailor Moon or Pokemon on TV when I was a kid. Naruto or FMA were probably the first ones I looked up myself.
>>
File: 1423154553662.jpg (86KB, 487x460px) Image search: [Google]
1423154553662.jpg
86KB, 487x460px
Oh boy time to blog eh?
I think my sisters introduced me to that shit. They ordered the fruits basket DVD set off of the internet and I had nothing better to do so I just sat down and watched it with them.
Same thing with manga. My sisters had bought the azumanga daioh series and I read them whenever I was bored. Think that was the first manga I ever read
>>
>>145130265
Good taste, anon!
>>
>>145130265
Terrible taste. Delete yourself.
>>
>>145123738
First time I watched a subbed anime was also the first time I watched an anime all the way through. Before then, it was only shit that was on cartoon network like pokemon, one piece, etc, but the actual show that I watched was High School of the Dead when I was 13.
>>
>>145123738
First that I knowingly watched as anime? Ghost in the Shell.
>>
File: 1470158912172.png (70KB, 333x193px) Image search: [Google]
1470158912172.png
70KB, 333x193px
>>145123738
My first manga i cared enough to remember its title was Love Hina, read it in the middle school library, must have been around 12.

First anime that i watched every episode was Aki Sora because boobs.
>>
First anime was inuyasha
Manga was love hina
>>
Cool blog
>>
Death Note, oh boy
>>
>>145123738
Lots of krauts in this thread.
>>
File: 203.gif (1MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
203.gif
1MB, 600x338px
>>145131450
>HOTD was released in 2010
>13
>>
>>145131632
krauts are the biggest weebs after frenchmen
>>
File: 20160720014908_1.jpg (255KB, 1286x722px) Image search: [Google]
20160720014908_1.jpg
255KB, 1286x722px
For me it was Death Note. I didn't choose it at the time it was just that show that was on late at night and it was going from beginning to end. I really enjoyed it and saw the potential anime had with storytelling and the visuals. Every since then I've been a closeted weeb. Not really into constantly posting anume shit over social media or talk about it with other people since most others just watch whatever is in. I choose what to watch from seeing the first episode or two. Yes I did watch DB and DBZ to completion but that was a test of strength. That's a lot of "I LOST BUT ILL WIN LATER AFTER BEING DEFEATED" for one person.

>Pic related it's what I've slowly progressed into
>>
>>145123738
Blood Reign when I was like 4. It was pretty cool to 4 year old me.
>>
File: 1469811087640.jpg (270KB, 1542x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1469811087640.jpg
270KB, 1542x1600px
>>145131722
he's a legit 19 yr weewuu
>>
Around 2004-2005 I watched a fansubbed version of GI OVA of HunterX. Around that time, I read Ichigo 100%
>>
File: mio2.jpg (65KB, 316x659px) Image search: [Google]
mio2.jpg
65KB, 316x659px
>>145123738
The first anime I watched was probably some old shit on Fox Kids like Flint the Time Detective or whatever.

The first show I watched when I specifically sought out "anime" instead of just shows and movies (i.e., Howl's Moving Castle) by name was (dubbed) Lucky Star.

However, the show that really got me "into" anime was Nichijou. I stumbled across it about halfway through it's airing period, on AnimeUltima (I was still a streambabby then).
Ever since I watched that show, I've been more savvy about the medium and more active about seeking out things that may be to my tastes.

As for Manga, the first two series I remember purchasing (and not renting from a library or some shit) were SGT Frog and .hack//Legend of The Twilight.
Oddly enough, in case of SGT frog, the first volumes I purchased were the eleventh and twelfth ones. From there I worked my way backwards, and then fowards, and eventually amassed the first 18-or-so volumes. Unfortunately, the majority of them suffered moderate water damage.
Not long after buying those SGT Frog volumes, I discovered scanlations and have not looked back.
>>
>>145125039
Gantz, watamote or kill la kill, i dont remember
And my first manga was The voynich hotel
>>
File: 5345365464.jpg (130KB, 700x729px) Image search: [Google]
5345365464.jpg
130KB, 700x729px
>>145123738
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.