[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on 20th Century Boys? I'm currently reading it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 376605.png (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
376605.png
1MB, 1920x1200px
Thoughts on 20th Century Boys? I'm currently reading it and absolutely loving it!
>>
Tried reading a few chapters of it and got bored. Might come back to it once I'm done my anime backlog.
>>
>>145103042

You should. Not OP, I did the same thing because it is kind of a slow start, but once you get into it it is a pretty riveting thriller.
>>
>>145102947
It has its moments. 2nd half is fucking boring though imo.
>>
>>145104447

It had a pretty bad case of "2nd half" going for it. The first half felt a lot more mysterious, but the 2nd half kind of felt like the 2nd part to Death Note for me because the main characters were all basically gone and we had to reset with new ones in a pretty new setting.

That kind of 2nd half always feels jarring and a bit disheartening. Especially if the story isn't really an anthology kind of thing like, I dunno, American Horror Story or JoJo or something.
>>
>>145102947
Good stuff, but so much of Urasawa's runs too long and suffers for it.
>>
I'm also currently reading it, and finding it to be alright. I wish the mystery elements developed more organically, rather than having characters have awkward conversations where it becomes very obvious that important details are not being discussed even though in real life they naturally would be in order to keep them from the reader.
>>
>>145102947
Went on for 100 more chapters than it should. I was really unsatisfied with the ending. Also what >>145107019 this anon said
>>
>>145107112
The last 20 or so chapters pissed me off.
>>
File: Yukiji.jpg (182KB, 770x1100px) Image search: [Google]
Yukiji.jpg
182KB, 770x1100px
>>145102947
Second arc is garbage, the ending is dumb, everything feels rushed and pulled out the ass, you can feel the taste of shit in your mouth right after you finish reading it.

Is still a good manga but it could have been way better.
>>
>>145102947
3rd part is quite the mess, urasawa should've taken Katsumata's motives for Fukubei
there are some plotholes as well, it's less good than monster
>>
>>145110135
still fucking love Kanna
>>
>>145110055
*second half
>>
First two parts are great, pretty much all throughout. Last part is shit, I stop there whenever I reread.Only redeeming part is hopeless Kanna; I like to think she whored herself out of misery and self loathing during that time. 21st Century Boys is pointless. What I wanted was a proper epilogue, with Kenji getting back together with the gang, meeting Kanna, and helping to rebuild the world, but all we got was some dumb story about Friend 2 because "lmao theres a bomb."
>>
>>145102947
It had an amazing first half, but then it keep introducing more characters and plot lines and ended off trying to bit off more than he can chew.
Also Urasawa sucks at endings.
>>
>>145102947
Gutalala
>>
>>145102947
It went on for far too long, and for no real story benefit. The problem with it is that it has several very clear "act" points, where the story dramatically shifts and Urasawa needs to reintroduce characters, show new ones, set up conflicts, basically make a whole new manga. The series in novel form, or in movie form, would be three very clear cut separate installments.

The reason this is an issue is that it really begins to drag and become bizarre, in a very distracting way.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.