[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is amazing. Why isn't Annno praised for Kare Kano?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 229
Thread images: 27

File: kare-kano.jpg (274KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
kare-kano.jpg
274KB, 1280x1024px
This is amazing. Why isn't Annno praised for Kare Kano? I didn't even know he had directed it before I started watching.
>>
3 things:

1) The fucking elitist mangaka Masami Tsuda disliked Anno's direction

2) Anno ragequit

3) Future FLCL director took over at ep 19 onwards and made the show a complete meme
>>
does this show have any ntr?
>>
>>144925053
>Future FLCL director took over at ep 19 onwards and made the show a complete meme
This made me drop it
>>
Its the only show I ever dropped just because of the quality.
Not even Anno can do much with a 10円 budget.
>>
>>144925053
Wait. So the anime has a shitty ending? Fuck. Still watching it though, I'm accustomed to Japan not being able to make proper endings.
>>
>>144925147

You can tell there were problems at about the 15 mark. They do two recaps back to back if I recall, and then the rest is slapped together as best as it could be.

I wish they would complete the story at some point. I never read the manga, but it seemed promising.
>>
>>144925147
It doesn't really have a bad ending so much as no ending.
>>
>>144925096
>>144925053
Fuck off, his episodes are great. Especially when you know it's a middle finger to the author.

Why do you think they burned the cels?
>>
>>144925233
>burned the cells

oh my fucking goodness that is so based
>>
>>144925311
It's seriously one of my favorite moments in any show ever.
>>
It's the only Gainax anime (of the old Gainax, pre-2000 anyway) that I haven't watched fully.

I only watched up to the middle of the series I guess, but that was many many years ago.
>>
>>144924913
I really liked it in the beginning but it fell on its face near the end, plot- and directing-wise. Haven't read the manga, just skimmed, but it looked really your average shoujoish and I've heard it's pretty bad. It's sad, really, as especially in the first episodes the directing was great.
>>
I really miss the "feel" and style of this era Gainax. There's something about it that makes me feel strongly nostalgic for some reason.
>>
>>144924913
It's a 10/10 until episode 19. Everything after that is a complete mess with a couple of neat idea's found few and far between.
>>
>>144925233
>middle finger to the author.
More like a middle finger to the viewers
>>
>>144925233
Was there a reason for the middle finger to the author?
A reason enough for the biggest drop in quality I have ever seen?
>>
>>144925053
>Masami Tsuda disliked Anno's direction
Why? The anime was a pretty accurate adaption of the manga.
>>144925233
It's a shame they burned the cels though, the character designs in the anime was very good. What a waste.
>>
>>144926269
Tsuda didn't like the show and Anno quit.

If how (some of) the later episodes were animated was a result of no budget, I'd rather never no budget.

I like the paper dolls, photographic characters, and manga style frames.
>>
>>144926443
Rather have*

That's a difference between "we have no budget and no one cares so all the background characters will look goofy in stills" and people making something greater because of the limitations.
>>
>>144926269
>>144926417

Probably Tsuda wanted the D and Anno said "ew no you're old and ugly".
>>
>>144926417
According to Wikipedia she wanted more romance. Who knows what was going on behind the scenes.
>>
>>144926569
>According to Wikipedia she wanted more romance.

Anno was pretty much a depressed sperglord during this phase of his life, even if he was commercially successful. I'm amazed KareKano was as flowery and shoujo as it was.
>>
>>144926960
I think it's really good in those aspects. Some of the boyfriend's introspection was more heavy handed than, say, similar scenes in Eva, but it all works.
>>
File: Kissu.webm (1MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Kissu.webm
1MB, 640x480px
>>144926569
>wanted more romance
Well then that's not his fault then, the anime had the same level of romance as the manga. I can't even image how it could even get more romantic without cutting out the comedy and other good parts.
>>
>>144924913
The second half ruined what was otherwise a decent show. Manga is fucking horrible down the line so I'm glad they didn't continue adapting it.
>>
So when's Trigger doing their own shoujo manga adaptation that will be on par with Kare Kano?

Shitty story aside, the director of Kiznaiver was onto something
>>
File: 1442252313001.png (235KB, 350x541px) Image search: [Google]
1442252313001.png
235KB, 350x541px
I kind of dislike Anno. Not because meme Eva, but because he is such a big shitter on otaku-culture and hikky troube, despite having the outlook that people that exist outside the social outcast have no right to criticize.

I don't simply understand why he nominates himself to the position where he supposedly understand the despair of neets when he's had a stable job, family and is probably rolling in money. Hypocrisy at most.
>>
>>144927635
Nihei should do the shoujo he wants to do with Imaishi.
>>
>>144927814
Not really. Everything you're reading on the subject is second or third hand information.

He's defended and criticized aspects of it. There's nothing to be defensive about.
>>
>10/10 anime adaptation
>Author shits on the anime hardcore
>Director quits. Budget cut.
> New director takes over to wrap up. No money. LOL WHAT DO NOW.
>Mangaka keeps shitting on anime.
>...
>Best episodes in anime history get created.
>Author continues the manga, he makes an U turn and it becomes an edgelord overeggaxerated dramafest..
>>
File: sasuga.png (332KB, 624x480px) Image search: [Google]
sasuga.png
332KB, 624x480px
>>144924913
>doubting the saviour of anime
Have you seen https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEb-7IoSsge8IVdE6s8R6s0yHiQrBsSJ7 ? They're all made possible because of this pristine chinese cartoonist.
>>
>>144927814

You're too new, to the board and to the medium. Lurk more and keep reading more. Check your sources and use your brain.
>>
Did they burn the cels to stick it up the author?
>>
Is liking Anno a thing now?
>>
>>144927929
Author sounds like A shit if anno was being faithful to the source material.
>>
This reminds me of how the anime for Fruits Basket went to shit and became way shorter than the manga. Although the manga is way better than the anime and another reason why he anime was short was because the mangaka was hospitalized for a long time and shit. The director said he would never work on another season of Fruits Basket. Why is it always like that with shojo manga that aren't magical girls stories nowadays? You could have a manga with 50 volumes, yet it would be a miracle if it had an anime adaptation with more than 26 episodes at this point.
>>
>>144926960
You can still see a distinct Anno touch in it even when the subject matter is so romance.
>All those soliloquies
>>
File: 1420406069648.jpg (19KB, 188x220px) Image search: [Google]
1420406069648.jpg
19KB, 188x220px
>>144927867
>Nihei + Imaishi shoujo adaptation
what
>>
>>144931841
Exactly.
>>
>>144931727
Also telephone poles
>>
Kare Kano is great, one of my favorite anime.

The last episodes are very underrated. It stops being a 10/10 masterpiece of all time, but it remains good enough. It isn't any worse than the average shoujo romance like Sukitte Ii na yo or Ao Haru Ride.

And if it's true that the manga goes edgy grimdark, maybe it's okay that it ended when it did. I don't want to watch Arima become evil.
>>
Fun fact, the manga panel scenes and the papercut animation episodes were directed/animated by Hiroyuki Imaishi. I'd go as far as saying that most of the comedic stuff was heavily handled by Imaishi.

Karekano really makes me wonder what a more down-to-earth, slice of life-ish series by him would be like.
>>
>>144932502
Imaishi's strong point is his storyboarding. Using the manga panels is right up his alley.
>>
One of my favorite shows of all time. Last three episodes are criminally underrated.
>>
>>144931377
Feels like they don't want to risk much on it so they just go for the typical marketing adaptation that ends in a "go read the manga for the rest of the story" if it has many volumes.

The shorter/finished shoujo usually don't get adapted unless it's really popular stuff like Orange.
The fact that the're very rarely more than one shoujo adaptation each season also means they're limiting themselves on what they pick and if they consider the hype for a particular manga over, they probably won't attempt anything with it.
>>
>>144932761
I'll give you the last episode, but 24 and 25 are easily the worst episodes of the entire series.
>>
>>144932635
Wasn't it that Imaishi hardly ever manages to stick to a storyboard unless it's his own
>>
>>144924913
I LOVE THIS SERIES
THANK YOU
>>
>>144925311
That and episode previews consisting of VA's having fun. The whole series just gives this comfy feel, too bad the author didn't like it.
>>
>>144932859
The first half of 24 might be one of my most favorite parts in the whole series, anon.
True, it just turning into a recap for the next half is almost intolerable. However, I forgive it for how euphoric, cathartic, and GAINAX it is at the end of the first half.
Arima's scene that is straight out of Evangelion, and Yukino's revelation about how their relationship will most certainly not last forever, but she's thankful for how they influenced each other's lives are KEY moments in their characterization and the narrative.
It's good shit.

Also episode 25 has insanely good OVA quality animation and direction, man. Plus, best girls get their own episode.
>but filler
It's a fucking more than solid episode.
>>
Sagashimono wa nan desu ka?
>>
>>144933711
cozy ED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Q9gtBmZK8
>>
File: YukinoCel.jpg (133KB, 900x694px)
YukinoCel.jpg
133KB, 900x694px
>>144925311
>cels
found one
>>
File: 1233680607645.png (1MB, 1920x1200px)
1233680607645.png
1MB, 1920x1200px
yay high school before cell phones
>>
>>144928868
Well yeah, he's one of the greatest anime directors of all time.
>>
File: 1301327476910.jpg (156KB, 652x569px) Image search: [Google]
1301327476910.jpg
156KB, 652x569px
>>144924913
The manga wasn't even any good. After it dove head-first into the "Arima Arc" it stopped being the innovative inversion og shoujo romance and ended up being nothing but melodramatic codswallop.

I fucking WISH Anno got to do something decent with it.
>>
So… I should watch this up til ep 13 then stop, right guys?
>>
>>144934491
Anno nails the ending every time, in his weird fucking haphazard way. It's a shame.
>>
>>144934629
19. The opening credits were amended before they'd aired all of Anno's episodes.
>>
>>144926417
>Why? The anime was a pretty accurate adaption of the manga.
As someone who started reading the manga before watching the anime, not really. The anime was much more wacky. They feel like different beasts, tone wise.
>>
>>144926569
>According to Wikipedia she wanted more romance.

Considering her idea of "more romance" resulted in edgelord melodrama that shit all over the tone of the early parts of the manga, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Anno, despite his sperging, was right.
>>
>>144926417
Fuck him

Because of that hack we'll never get a nice bluray remaster of this series. And it's a shame cause it had such a nice palette and everything
>>
>>144932217
>Sukitte Ii na yo or Ao Haru Ride.
Don't compare Sukitte with Ao Haru Ride, come on.
Ao Haru Ride is an average shoujo that at least pleases the audiences. Sukitte is a total shitfest. Easily my worst experience with the genre.
>>
>>144934629
Watch the whole thing
>>
>>144924913
>>144926443
It's weird the author disliked the adaptation when most of the time the original authors know what is going on with the anime adaptations of their work before it begins airing. I bet there was a big miscomunication between the author and the studio but Anno didn't give a fuck about that.
>>
>>144934997
In Gainax's case it always turns out for the better, though. Eva's final two episodes, for example.

The only time it didn't was the island arc.
>>
>>144924913
Kare Kano is fucking garbage man, how the fuck do you watch it?

I figured it's intended for the female audience at some point, but either way, it's shit.
>>
>>144935161
>Eva
Eva is not an adaptation. Manga came a few months earlier to promote the incoming anime series, this is done quite often.
>>
>>144934997
Anno did a romantic comedy.
Tsuda was doing a dramatic romance.

If you watch the anime and then continue reading the manga, you'll think WTF what's up with the change and ditch it out like I did. It went from a deep yet enjoyable high school romance and way-to-adulthood story to some edgy-wtf family struggles. That was the mangaka dilemma. The anime did a bad job at introducing people to the rest of the manga.

The manga becomes edgeshit.
>>
>>144935326
Oh, no, not to imply it was, I just mean all their productions in general. Even the Rebuilds.

I like Gainax.
>>
>>144935417
I honestly think the show resulted in what's probably the greatest romance anime, all things still considered. The fact that there's so much more to it contextually and just inside the show only makes it better.
>>
>>144935417
>The manga becomes edgeshit.
I have read the manga, it didn't. I became dark in the second half when Soichiro's backstory became the main focus of the plot but that's because of his traumas, it still managed to have funny moments with other characters and at the end of the day everything turns out right for everyone.
>>
>>144934953
I agree Sukitte Ii na yo is very awful. To be honest I only seen half of Ao Haru Ride. But they are comparable as in that they are not top tier like most of Kare Kano and Kimi ni Todoke. They are both a tier below. But perhaps Ao Haru Ride is one tier below, and Sukite Ii na yo is two.
>>
>>144934669
Eva ending was only redeeming factor of the series, Karekano ending is just kind of shit. It's understandable, but still shit.
>>
>>144925190
The manga really falls apart after the point the anime ended.

I don't recommend it
>>
>>144935895
It's not even that it's bad, it doesn't even exist.
>>
>>144934136
>you can see the tracks that they're recording it from in the classroom

Never noticed that before
>>
>>144934953
>>144935845
I thought Ao Haru Ride was one the most boring shoujo I've seen, or at least the romance parts were. I actually liked Sukitte, probably because it felt like it could have been a josei in certain parts.
>>
>>144935965
It didn't it just shift the tone in Shoichiro's mom arc.
>>
literally the best directed anime of all time
>>
>>144924913
not really, no
>>
>>144924913
Because he ran out of money half way through, and the last half turned to shit. Plus it's an adaptation, not an original work, so directors tend to little credit but all of the blame.
>>
Episodes 1-18 are a perfect rom-com, but were clearly running out of room to do new stuff with the couple. The new director being brought in, and episide 19-26 being largely episodic and focusing on other characters kinda breathed new life into the show. It made for a unique experience, anyway. I don't mind that the show didn't have an ending, endings are usually disappointing anyway, especially when just tacked onto an adaptation of a still running manga. I prefer the "and their lives continued" style. Overall, it was one's of the most satisfying and interesting shows I've ever seen.
>>
>>144937723
It's fine to have an ending that doesn't tie up every plot thread, but the ending of Kare Kano comes at the beginning of a developing one. Like many other anons have said, it's basically not an ending at all, that's just the point at which they stopped making the show.
>>
A brief investigation into KareKano DVDs returned the result : "Jesus Christ how horrifying"
>>
I remember it being a gold mine of reaction images
>>
>>144925053
So in other words, GAAAAINAAAAAAX
>>
>>144925190
Guy gets really edgy because of issues with his shitty dad. Stabs his hand with a kitchen knife edgy. Forces sex on yukino in the library. I forget a lot of details but I think this was the first step to healing cause yukino wanted him to know it was ok to let go of his perfect guy mask or something.

Shit happens, they get married. Guy becomes a detective out of nowhere cause he hides detective movies in his room or something.
>>
>>144924913
I loved it. When I originally watched it, I stalled due to computer issues and losing data. I got stuck around the time they were beginning to get friendly with that short girl, so I lived the next 13 years with it in my backlog, always naively ignorant that the show would not only fall short as an incomplete adaption, but also completely messed even for an original anime ending. It was like "what if Evangelion was only about the school life and the characters' life?". Ended up watching is last year, and followed along with the manga where the episodes started to diverge a lot. Really liked it.
>>
>>144931377
>>144932764
You've also got to consider that all anime has far higher production values these days. Digitialisation has of course made making good looking animation easier, but it still isn't easy. And now we've made a market where anything that looks like the webm in >>144927151 would be shat on for being QUALITY and looking "terrible", despite that actually being an acceptable level of quality for TV animation in the 90s and looking fine. I know Kare Kano wasn't the best example to use there, since it actually is only 26 episodes, but you get the point. When every episode is expected to look great with tons of frames being used for every little movement, less episodes can get made.
>>
>>144925190
>>144938230
Oh yeah. Guys best friend who totally wanted his dick but couldn't because yukino is shooting their daughter in the prologue.
>>
>>144938230
>Guy gets really edgy because of issues with his shitty dad.
It was his shtty mom, he got along with his dad.
>>
>>144938808
shooting for their daughter*
>>
>>144932502
He also did the manga panel style scenes for FLCL, if I remember correctly, as well as directing episode 5 of it. Which explains why ep 5 is the ep with the most references, creative action scenes, and batshit crazy moments.
>>
>>144938808
>prologue.
You mean epilogue.
>>
>>144938808
>yukino is shooting their daughter
Before the correction you made I was kind of worried just how edgy the manga went
>>
>>144927814
He is not a monk motherfucker. He is a Chinese cartoon director. You shouldn't criticize him for finally achieving something in life. He is not preaching for otaku to stay miserable forever so there's no disconnect between his work and his personal life.
>>
>>144938853
I don't fucking remember. It's been 10+ years.
>>
>>144938879
Imaishi was closely involved with all of FLCL's production. He storyboarded for all the episodes and is credited as "Animation Director" on all of them as well.
>>
>>144925878
Same anon. As far as I'm concerned, 90s Gainax is the peak for anime.
>>
Just finished watching this yesterday. Was quite disappointing-- it devolved from a well-paced romance to a fumbling clusterfuck very rapidly around the two-thirds point. I'll bet it would have been one of the top-rated shows of its day had they stuck with what they were doing.
>>
>>144937968
>KareKano DVDs

Why do two have clear plastic cases, but the other three have black plastic cases? This is so annoying. Battle Athletes did the same thing where most were white plastic cases, but a couple were black plastic cases.
>>
>>144940587
buy some clear cases and fix the problem yourself?
>>
Does the manga get any better? I dropped the manga around chapter 64 because the male MC is such a depressing faggot.
>>
>>144925066
No but Best Boy here rapes Yukino at school and leaves her knocked up. She didn't really mind though, both the rape and result.
>>
>>144942088
>the male MC is such a depressing faggot
At least he had reason to be depressing.
He get over it when his mom gtfo.
>>
>>144936829
Not true, but close.

Evangelion is the best directed anime of all time.
>>
>>144942807
>Evangelion
That's a funny way to spell Utena.
>>
>>144942958
Hey I disagree, but I respect that choice.
>>
>>144942807
I never quite understood the fanatic eva fanbase as excluding the few first episodes and ending, especially the mid-point of the series is probably blandest shit I've seen. Even if for example EoE is great in terms of directing, it's like people choose to forget that there was shit like Asuka in fat suit and dancing Evangelions which was a low point both directing- and scriptwise.
>>144942958
>Needlessly long, stock footage: the anime
Utena was pretty cool honestly
>>
>>144943081
It's because the opening stretch and the one from 15-26 and the film are so good that they linger strongest in the mind. The bland monster of the week episodes also set up the shock factor for the crazy turn it goes down.

Also screw you, the dancing Evas episode was great. How can anyone not like the synch battle at the end?
>>
>>144943081
>>144943314
I mean, if we split the movie up, there's at least 22 episodes worth of good material. Longer than most shows these days.
>>
>>144924913
Karekano is great by default, no wonder it's considered a masterpiece of shoujo manga alongside Rose of Versailles and Orange. The anime is crap if compared to it, though. You are brain damaged if you think that the shit adaptation can even compete.
>>
>>144943570
Subtle.
>>
>>144943081
>>144943314

>dancing Evangelions which was a low point both directing
I'll give you Magma Diver and Jet Alone being not-so-hot, but Dance Like You Want To Win is one of the best episodes.

A lot of guys just say that Eva's direction only gets good in it's last half or so, but that's far from the truth.
Yes the tone and the direction of the series takes a more stark and contrasting turn by episode 15, but the first half of the show is directed really well.

The first six episodes are well shot and edited slow burning character dramas (except for episode 1 being pretty fast paced and expository (but still a top tier episode)).
And when Asuka arrives in episode 8 (another top tier episode), the show picks up and turns into more of a monster of the week. Not only does it set up for the series to shift in tone later, but they're all cut up and paced perfectly.
>>
>>144943700
Jet Alone is at least the best remembered from those episodes.
>>
>>144943794
Nuh-uh. It's Dance Like You Want to Win by miles.
>>
>>144943899
No way, Jet Alone has entire threads devoted to him to this day.

Wait, is that sarcasm?
>>
>>144943794
>>144943899
>Remembering episode names
~ A U T I S M ~
>>
>>144943973
I have a feeling I'm being trolled, but Jet Alone is widely regarded as one of the worst episodes and Dance Like You Want to Win one of the best.
>>
>>144944046
>and Dance Like You Want to Win one of the best
Not that anon, but this is the episode that gets probably most mentioned as pointless filler, aside fatsuits.
>>
>>144936300
Dude, come on. Sukitte was complete trash. None of the characters had motivations or personalities other than "I'm writing this shoujo manga with a hand in my panties". It was insulting.
>>
>>144931377
>This reminds me of how the anime for Fruits Basket went to shit and became way shorter than the manga. Although the manga is way better than the anime and another reason why he anime was short was because the mangaka was hospitalized for a long time and shit.
It was a full production season, though. Only someone who thinks DB and OP are the norm would call that "short". The mangaka being hospitalized didn't affect it, either.
>>
>>144944037
The episode is actually called 'A Human Work'.

>>144944046
Jet Alone himself is still the best remembered.
>>
>>144944126
You're thinking of Magma Diver, directly after it, which is one of the worst for sure.
>>144944037
look at where you are
>>
>>144944202
No, it's really both of them. They are both on a level of comedy filler.
>B-But muh character chemistry building
As if that isn't and couldn't be done in any other way than dancing fucking robots. This is legit the second time I've seen anyone actually mention the episode in positive light.
>>
>>144944281
In any other show it would just be a standard episode.
>>
>>144944281
Dance isn't really filler though. It's the real introduction to Asuka. Her opening episode is much more slight comedic filler nothing.
>>
>>144944340
But it is a standard episode in Eva too. Quality peaks only towards the very ending.
>>
>>144944281
>This is legit the second time I've seen anyone actually mention the episode in positive light.
I don't know where you've been looking, but it's universally beloved.
>>
>>144942958
Funny you mention, I'm watching the movie now. It's pretty different from the series.
>>
>>144944281
>As if that isn't and couldn't be done in any other way than dancing fucking robots
Is this a problem? What's wrong with the dancing? Do you just not like dancing? You haven't given a reason on why it's bad.

Also, is this your first day on /a/? Both of You, Dance Like You Want To Win is loved here.
>>
>>144944748
Thematically though, it actually isn't.
>>
>>144945110
>You haven't given a reason on why it's bad.
Isn't that obvious? It's a fucking dance show-off in a series that has somewhat serious tone. Next you're going to say that Asuka in fat suit was fine too.

Goddammit.
>>
>>144945490
Asuka in a fat suit was bad, the dance episode was good. The show had established a light tone by then. One episode was well handled, the other was not.
>>
>>144945134
Sure not thematically, but in every other aspect though. Regarding the movie, I feel it delivers its messages in more polished form, which is natural I guess. I somehow feel that for example the message of maturing and purity was introduced really late in the series.
>>
>>144945597
Visually there are actually a lot of weird throwbacks to the show too that I'm not quite sure the meaning of.
>>
>>144945490
>a series that has somewhat serious tone
Eva is not a monotone series, it has serious and dark moments but it also has lighthearted moments and that episode was one of them.
>>
>>144945563
But this goes both ways: why was the episode well handled? To me the difference in dance and fatsuit don't feel that large, considering both of them feel to exist for comedic relief in a fashion that could be entirely removed with not that much changing/ replaced with something more relevant. Why is the dancing supposedly so good?
>>
>>144925053
>>3) Future FLCL director took over at ep 19 onwards and made the show a complete meme
Ah! That will be why it turned to absolute steaming putrid dog shit part way through.
>>
File: 1445451838900.png (750KB, 1024x576px)
1445451838900.png
750KB, 1024x576px
>>144945667
Does there have to be a meaning or does Ikuhara just generally get too much credit? Considering the central themes of his works have always been pretty evident and Yurikuma was pretty shit, maybe the throwbacks should just be taken as throwbacks.
>>
This is why for a well done shoujo, you should read Kodocha instead
>>
>>144945842
Maybe that's true, and it wouldn't make it worse.

Of course, you have the story about the boy who drowned, but then weirder stuff like those triangular archways that Juri was hanging out around show up.

I don't know. Maybe I'm totally misremembering it.
>>
>>144945705
Is this bait? The two episodes don't have the same structure or purpose at all. The only similarity you can give is that they're both comical? Despite the fact that comedy isn't the point of the episodes at all.

Dance Like You Want To Win is about establishing the relationship of Shinji and Asuka, how they learn to work together despite their differences, and overcome the conflict. Add in the camp and unorthodox nature of the dancing and you've got a fan favorite episode. What's remembered is the synchronized dance scene at the end, but why its loved is because of the context in which it takes place.
It's an entertaining payoff to see the two characters work together in perfect harmony after seeing how they seemed like they could never do it earlier.

Why is this so hard to understand?
>>
File: kubrick.jpg (101KB, 1280x720px)
kubrick.jpg
101KB, 1280x720px
>>144945842
>Yurikuma was pretty shit
YKA was meh at worst but it wasn't a bad series, it was just low for Ikuhara's standard
>>
>>144946120
But you said it yourself, the dancing is ultimately a "payoff", which could be replaced with any other device to showcase the relationship. Out of all things it just has to be retarded dancing.

Sure, I understand you like the episode. I can understand that some people for example like the penguin, while in my view it's just a retarded out-of-place animal. But make no mistake that there's no "objective" reason why dancing is any better than fat suit, as it's just a comedy scene that could be replaced with any other without realistic change in the story or the relations.

>Is this a bait?
I love the assumption of how thing that doesn't fit with your views must be a bait. Though I considered this something that fate fanboys excel in though.
>>
>>144946407
Dancing is something two people have to do in synchronization.
>>
>>144946407
Dancing is better because of the great animation at the close of the episode.

Why dancing? Why not dancing? As another anon said, Eva is not a monotone series. it had been getting progressively sillier from Jet Alone onward, and for that episode, at least the silliness was handled well.
>>
>>144946407
How is the dancing bad?
Because it's a comedy?
Why do you see it as a comedy? If it was a comedy, why would that be a bad trait?

I asked if this was bait not because it didn't fit with the views of myself or most of /a/, but because you weren't giving reasonable answers.
>>
>>144946273
I'm still kind of confused where the Ikuhara praise really comes from.
>Utena: good
>Penguindrum: fun
>YKA: shit
>Occasional SM: pretty bad if you remove nostalgia goggles
>Other shit: no one cares about
For a director that has made 1 and a half good series he gets much more praise than he deserves. Is it just S Y M B O L I S M?
>>
>>144946568
>>144946692
I guess that has to do with how I generally don't like the comedy in Eva, as I consider the series to excel in latter parts with more serious tone. Sure you're both right on how it's not ultimately a monotone series, but when the other end of the scale has so much more substance it's hard to appreciate fun fun comedy times.

I guess I'm one of the few people that consider rebuild picnics a better "comedic filler" as it's based on actual character interaction and not something that essentially twists the laws of the world into a dance competition.
>>
>>144946799
Sailor Moon Ikuhara is good and Utena movie is the prettiest anime ever. God tier architecture.
>>
>>144946799
>Is it just S Y M B O L I S M?
Not just that, it's mostly cinematography, there are very few anime director that use cinematography properly, most of them only do movies like Miyazaki or a very few episodes like Hozoda.
Anno and Ikuhara are from those that make use of it in a whole series.
>>
>>144924913
It was garbage fuck off
>>
>>144947122
>cinematography properly
There isn't really "proper" way though, it's all up to context. And Anno Ikuhara combo is kind of bold claim, as Ikuhara has a huge hard-on for example repeated stock footage and Anno drops the ball often, in eva leading to pretty mediocre mid-series.
>>144947059
>Sailor Moon Ikuhara is good
I've lived under this impression that S is the season Ikuhara is most involved with, and honestly it ranks below the previous two in every measurable aspect.
>>
>>144946940
>I guess I'm one of the few people that consider rebuild picnics a better "comedic filler" as it's based on actual character interaction and not something that essentially twists the laws of the world into a dance competition.

Dancing was based around character interaction though. It was deeper than picnic food stuff in Rebuild, with Asuka getting upset when Shinji synchs with Rei and their having to look past their differences in order to win.
>>
File: kare_kano_01.jpg (54KB, 640x480px)
kare_kano_01.jpg
54KB, 640x480px
I loved the first 10 or so episodes. Fuck the mangaka.
>>
>>144947448
But the context is still that they have to have a fucking dance show-off. I know this must seem like an autism, but I can't just get over it how detached from the rest of the series the comedy is. At least picnics are more grounded in reality.
>>
>>144947563
I get where you're coming from. I guess it just doesn't bother me for some reason.
>>
>>144947563
>>144947817
I mean, it is bizarre that a show featuring a mascot penguin and dancing robots ends with depressing monologues and people's faces melting, but I just take it as part of the ride.
>>
>>144947461

I want to taste Yukino's drool.
>>
>>144948009
It's pretty fresh minty, I happen know this.
>>
File: 1385174064768.jpg (35KB, 384x315px) Image search: [Google]
1385174064768.jpg
35KB, 384x315px
>>144925147
>Kare Kano
>ending

It was still a great ride in spite of this.
>>
>>144947122
I dunno, I find most anime cinematography to be far more interesting than live action cinematography, because there's just so much more you can do easily with animation that would take hours to set up with live action. Psycho-Pass is a great example of that. Its director previously had only done live action movies, and you can see elements of that in PP's direction, but then he just goes off the rails and uses the freedom of the animated medium to implement crazy, obscure shots into scenes. Like pic related. The scene is just two dudes talking on a balcony, but he set the shot from behind a support pipe hundreds of feet above them. It's entirely pointless, but it shows how much he was enjoying being able to set shots from wherever he wanted without having the restriction of actually having to get a physical camera and operator up there.
>>
>>144927814
You're probably also retarded enough to think Miyazaki literally said anime was a mistake too.
>>
>>144949224
To be fair that's pretty much the message the old fart wants to convey.
>>
>each time you hear this in Kare Kano or Eva

https://youtu.be/PZ7W9L4jzu8

Mangaka is pretty stupid for not liking the adaptation. And the manga suffers during edgelord mode about his parents, and the romantic development for Yukino's daughter is pretty creepy.
>>
>>144949370
I wouldn't particularly blame him either. It still isn't a free pass for lazy newfags to make judgements about people based solely on information they get from stupid 4chan memes though.
>>
>>144949632
Anime is a meme.
>>
>>
This thread made me want to rewatch the anime, but it gets so shit towards the ending I don't know if I want to.
>>
>>144948836

Stop lying Asaba.
>>
I hear you op, kknj is one of the most well directed animes I ever saw.
It made me buy the manga and it ruined shoujo for me forever. by being the best in the genre by leaps and bounds[\spoiler]
Both versions have problems sure, but I think they are far outshone by their merits.
Also the ost was great
>>
>>144950553
I don't even remember the ost but OP was pretty great.
>>
>>144950591
Op was fantastic
Ed was also great
Stupid bgm was catchy and genki as fuck
Some of the piano pieces still bring tears to my eyes
>>
>>144947988
Should I take Karekano ending halfway as part of the ride?
>>
File: scan34.jpg (19KB, 410x290px) Image search: [Google]
scan34.jpg
19KB, 410x290px
>>144924913

-It was unfinished
-Anno only directed half the show while the director of FLCL did the other half. And there's massive tone shifts all over the place as it is obvious which director did which episodes.
-It wasn't Eva so it automatically had a negative bias from many fans.

I agree that it is better than Eva. At least the beginning parts that Anno worked on. But the show fell apart near the end (not surprising considering the director of FLCL did it). Also, Tsubasa is one of the most annoying characters in anime so that didn't help.
>>
File: 1450015302551.png (144KB, 339x328px)
1450015302551.png
144KB, 339x328px
>>144953621
>It wasn't Eva so it automatically had a negative bias from many fans
Are you implying many fans expected Evangelion out of shoujo romantic comedy?
>>
>>144927814

Anno was the biggest otaku in anime history before he got into actually making his own works. Daicon is basically a huge love story to the Otaku culture before Otaku was even a thing.

But over time, he began to want to make 'legitimate' content that would be taken seriously. And instead of blaming the establishment which ignored animation, he blamed the fans. He's a lot like Stephen Spielberg and George Lucas in that way. He started out with the goal of changing the system to be what he wanted. But over tie he basically became the system, then mocked anyone who didn't worship it.
>>
>>144934792
KareKano is dogshit. Fuck yourself, nigger.
>>
>>144953734
You say that like people isn't expecting the next big thing or just the next thing that catch their interest to be the evangelion of anything.
>>
>>144953734

After Eva, fans expected every single thing GAINAX did to be a clone of Eva. Its not realistic by any means. But when you have such a massive hit, you also have ridiculous expectations.

Same problem something like Final Fantasy had after Final Fantasy VII. Anyone with half a brain could tell that every FF game tries to be radically different from the previous games. But that doesn't stop a huge chunk of the fanbase from expecting every game to be a clone of FFVII. Then bitching whenever it wasn't.
>>
>>144953837
>>144953621
Implying anyone expected anything remotely Evangelion-like out of this is completely retarded and just a bad excuse for a bad show.
Fuck off.
>>
>>144953807
I haven't even watched it. I have it downloaded but the quality is shit.
>>
>>144953756
>then mocked anyone who didn't worship it
How exactly? The last sentences don't really correlate with anything I've seen Anno do.
>>
>>144953997
He's just making up bullshit as to why his bad show was received badly.
>>
File: star_wars_chewie.jpg (42KB, 499x501px) Image search: [Google]
star_wars_chewie.jpg
42KB, 499x501px
>>144953905

>its obvious no one expected something like Eva before seeing the show based on my experience of hating it after I saw it
Yes. There are people this stupid in the world.
>>
>>144953621
>It wasn't Eva so it automatically had a negative bias from many fans.
My least favorite parts of this series were the parts which resembled Eva the most. And I'm an Eva fan.

Anno's direction was all over the place. I didn't like how he approached it. Could barely hold a romantic comedy tone without suddenly breaking out into an Evangelion style monologue over dramatic visuals
>>
>>144953807
>>144953905
>>144954096
Fucking hell, we get it. You don't like KareKano.
>>
>>144954151
The things you just described are the only details that make Karekano rank over your average shoujo. The manga does not have this and is pretty bland.
>>
>>144954453
It makes it different but it doesn't necessarily make it better. I think the way Anno modified the manga was disjointed.

Also, the manga is bland even by shoujo standards. There's much better shoujo than KareKano and its anime
>>
>>144953621
FLCL is great though.
That said it seems that even Tsurumaki even lost creative control over the show by the end. Most of the final episodes are credited as being directed by the show's producer. So it's pretty hard to blame the problems on him alone.
>>
File: soichiro009.jpg (12KB, 349x236px) Image search: [Google]
soichiro009.jpg
12KB, 349x236px
>>144954151

And your points are perfectly valid. Not everyone has to like Anno's style. But I'd say the most interesting parts of Kare Kano were in the first half of the show. The comedic fast talking and the more in depth dialogue during dramatic parts. Both definitely influenced by Anno. I'd also say the best episode of the show is the episode focused on the parents.

In the end however, Kimi ni Todoke is definitely better representative for the type of story Kare Kano was going for.
>>
>>144954787
>FLCL is great though.
If by "great" you mean greatly overrated. I feel that the people who praise FLCL lol so random shit are the same people who praise TTGL and refuse to take criticism because "manime"
>>
File: cutiehoney.gif (1MB, 352x200px) Image search: [Google]
cutiehoney.gif
1MB, 352x200px
Don't forget Anno also did the best Cutie Honey adaptation.
>>
>>144924913
He is. It's an anime held in very high regard.

What's more surprising is that there aren't endless threads about it anymore.
>>
>>144954971
>Not everyone has to like Anno's style
I really like his style, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it fit - the introspective scenes cast a confused shadow over what was otherwise a slightly typical romantic comedy. As opposed to his style being a fit in NGE, which angsted from the get go
>>
>>144954997
If you actually presented criticism instead of substancless garbage maybe people would take you more seriously.
>>
>>144955267
Same goes both ways. Only thing I see people praising FLCL of is that it looks cool, as if that was enough to grant some status as a masterpiece. What the fuck.
>>
>>144955477
It had a pretty compelling take on the boy's journey into maturity imo.
You know, aside from great music, visuals, dialogue, animation, design, humour, voice acting and directing.
>>
File: 1384707133339.png (180KB, 371x387px)
1384707133339.png
180KB, 371x387px
>>144955673
The same way TTGL is a great coming-of-age story, right?
>Great music
If you consider pillows-tier weeaboo trash great music, you should probably get your taste checked. Rest of your points are really superficial, as they are coated in lolrandumfun coating and style over substance. I know I'm comparing it a lot to TTGL but they both represent the similar nonsubstantial take on anime, where every aspect is designed to be as "stylish" as possible, leading to a strange abomination which can be described as childish at most. Both represent the worst entry-tier garbage that for some reason gets praised among vocal fanbase.

Only thing FLCL has going on is the visual aspects. You get identical experience that FLCL offers if you stare at pretty pictures when someone shouts in your ear. 10/10 anime.
>>
>>144955673

>You know, aside from great music, visuals, dialogue, animation, design, humour, voice acting and directing.
Trouble is, all of that is subjective. I for one only thought the animation was good but couldn't stand the rest. So obviously to me, FLCL wasn't good. And certain episodes of Kare Kano had the same 'random' feel and crazy design shift of FLCL. That one chase scene in the school was directly transferred over to FLCL a year later.
>>
>>144953756
Video is as critical as anything about otaku.

If anything, he's the opposite of those directors.
>>
File: image.png (71KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
71KB, 180x180px
>>144956034
Why are you talking about ttgl when I am talking about flcl? As opposed to flcl I really didn't like it. And why are you so upset over my shit taste?
Because I sure am not upset over your shit taste. Nevermind, our conversation isn't really constructive or entartaining is it.
>>
>>144955477
No, no one has to justify their opinion.
>>
File: kazuma-and-tsubasa.jpg (85KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
kazuma-and-tsubasa.jpg
85KB, 600x600px
>>144953621
Tsubasa and her love interest voiced by Akira Ishida are the only good things about this series. Both in the Anime and Manga.
>>
>>144956034
This is nothing but a string of vague buzzwords.
>>
>>144956714
I love the main couple but these two are fucking adorable. Their pure love and arc is so beautiful I almost cry everytime I read the manga.
>>
>>144956840
The scene where they're talking about their parents' divorce in the Anime is one of the only times I've ever cried from a chinese cartoon. It hits too close to home.
The Manga arc is also amazing.
>>
>>144934792
You don't use cels to remaster. just the master reel. cels go into the trash or lost forever all the time.
>>
File: FLCLmamimi.gif (51KB, 300x225px)
FLCLmamimi.gif
51KB, 300x225px
>you will never be able to discuss FLCL because there's always going to be spergs who are mad at FLCL because it became somewhat popular in the US thanks to Adult Swim

I never asked for this, I just liked FLCL back when it came out, when I ordered the actual OVA DVDs as they came out directly from Gainax's online shop.
>>
>>144957122

I saw FLCL through fansubs before it was on Adult Swim. It just didn't like it and you'll have to accept that people didn't like it. Just like I have to accept that people don't like SMJ or Real Drive.
>>
>>144957575
It's fine that you dislike it but unless you have something actually interesting to say about the show you should probably keep that to yourself and not shit up threads for no reason.
>>
>>144957786

I didn't. Also, this isn't an FLCL thread. And while we're pointing things out, there's been far too many threads ruined by derailing into FLCL circle jerking. Which might be part of the reason people dislike the show.
>>
>>144957843
If anyone dislikes a show because of threads on /a/ they might have mental issues.
>>
>>144957871

Well you just complained about people hating FLCL for being popular in Adult Swim. Its not that much of a difference for people hating the show for being popular on /a/.
>>
File: image.jpg (173KB, 640x712px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
173KB, 640x712px
>>144956948
I feel you anon. Me too.
>>
>>144957914
That was another poster. Both are silly reasons.
>>
>>144957843
I can't say who exactly you are but if you're >>144953621 then you're the one who brought up FLCL in the first place. At any rate the first person to talk about it did so disparigingly, so don't act like this is the fault of some FLCL circlejerkers.
>>
>>144957967

Multiple people in the thread brought up FLCL before that poster did. Do a search.
>>
>>144958172
First post in the thread derided it while totally misusing the term 'meme.'
>>
>>144958200
>>144957967

>anyone who talks negative about my favorite show is derailing the thread
That's what you sound like. Its takes two to have an argument. In this case, a guy made a random comment on a show and you got angry. You could have just ignored his comment, but instead you chose to write multiple posts defending FLCL. And drew out other people who disliked FLCL. Thus derailing the thread.
>>
>>144958310
I didn't say that, and I don't think anyone else did, I was just pointing it out.

People writing posts on an imageboard. Imagine that.
>>
Wish I found out about it earlier and watched it. After Nana, WA2, and other romances with bad endings or no endings at all, I can't put myself up to 26 episodes to just be pissed off.
>>
>>144927814
Because he used to be a NEET.
>>
>>144934792
cels have nothing to do with getting a remaster - studios do not save cels. most threw away their cels, then nerds sifted through trash to get them, while others sold them to stores specializing in all things animu.

the quality of a remaster replies entirely on what quality film was used to make the original transfer and if that original transfer still exists. fyi 8mm maxes out at 1000vertial lines, meaning anything shot in 16mm & 35mm can be transferred to bluray and possibly beyond without bullshit upscaling.
>>
>>144959928

Sadly, a lot of the master films also get lost or improperly stored. So while companies like Disney remaster everything, other companies like Toei or Sunrise legitimately can't remaster some films because they don't even have the source master. And most TV series were done on such cheap film that they can't be remastered either.

You have crappy movies like Escaflowne which get a remaster. While something like Rounin Z won't.
>>
>>144959928
>>144960686
Huh, thanks didn't know any of that.

Any idea what happened with karekano in this case?
Thread posts: 229
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.