[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are ANY of the DBZ movies (Broly Trilogy, Garlic Jr., Battle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 9

File: Dragon_Ball_Z_Logo.png (118KB, 2048x632px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon_Ball_Z_Logo.png
118KB, 2048x632px
Are ANY of the DBZ movies (Broly Trilogy, Garlic Jr., Battle of the Gods, etc.) officially canon?

DBZ thread I guess.
>>
Broly is so popular it might aswell be.
>>
Battle of the Gods and Revival of F are semi-canon though Super changed a few details.

Everything else is fanfiction.
>>
If it's animated then it's not canon.
>>
>>141359044
the upper anime supersedes the super manga.
>>
>>141359006
This

The movies don't even fit into the timeline.
>>
>>141359490
>>141359374
>>141359006
>>141358511
Movies only fit with a bit of tinkering, and some movies clash with the established canon horribly.

For example, Broli might be popular, but it happens parallel to Cell. Makes no sense Broli wouldn't run into Cell or somesuch.

Then world's strongest, or the movie with Slug.

WHO'S HYPE FOR DETROITTO?
BLACK GOKU
WE WUZ EVALINSHIEET
>>
>>141359689
Broly was on that remote planet in space. Unless Cell was flying around the universe they never would've met.
>>
>>141358511
The character resolves around one line "KUKUKROT"

THAT'S IT, THE WHOLE CHARACTER.
>>
History of trunks is canon
>>
>>141361280
Yet you see so much character development.
>>
>>141359689
>>141360002
I think the clash is where in the Cell saga would it take place?

None of the 5 fighters are in the same place at the same time, except immediately before and after Vegeta and Trunks go into the HTT - the issue here being that Piccolo is the strongest before, and Vegeta is strongest afterwards which isn't represented in the film
>>
I believe bardock father of goku is canon
>>
None of the anime is canon. The adaptations aren't canon, the sequels aren't canon, the movies aren't canon and the specials aren't canon. Only the manga is canon.
>>
If Battle of the Gods is canon then all of GT is as well.
>>
>>141361676
how the fuck did you come to that dumb conclusion?
>>
File: 1462914108228.png (590KB, 1200x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1462914108228.png
590KB, 1200x1000px
>>141361624
From the looks of it, the Broly story takes place shortly before the Cell games since Goku is still alive.
>>
>>141361787
Videl is pregnant with Pan in BotG, lending some validity to the GT storylines.
>>
>>141358418
>officially canon?
There's no official canon that all of us can agree on.
First of all, there's a difference between each and every medium. The movies have different canon from the manga and anime etc.
Second, Toriyama wrote the revised script for BoG, but you also have to remember that it's been "revised" in the Super tv show.
Lastly, the directors here don't even know where to draw the line between canon and non canon considering one of their databooks stated non Toriyama work is part of the "official timeline",
>>
>>141361849
Do none of you fuckers remember that Pan was in the epilogue?
>>
>>141361849
Pan predates GT by being present at the Epilogue of Z episodes.
>>
>>141361811
Ah, but Gohan isn't SSJ, so it has to be before they go in
>>
>>141362094
>>141361811
Disregard, I messed up, Gohan WAS SSJ.
>>
canon:

dbz bardock special (mostly overwritten by jaco)
jaco the galactic patrolman
possibly the other galactic patrol manga
dr. slump (also maybe the one shot sequel? idk)
dragon ball manga
db heya son goku and friends return special/manga
dbz battle of gods
dbz revival of f
db super episode 28+/chapter 5+
neko majin z 5
db online lore
>>
>>141362876
>dr. slump (also maybe the one shot sequel? idk)
Dr. Slump is not canon to the DB world, although there is a parallel DB version of Penguin Village where Arale was in Dragon Ball. (That doesn't make the whole series "canon")
>>
>>141363291
the crossover chapter literally continues from where dr slump ended

to say toriyama intended those versions of the dr slump cast to be db-verse clones is overthinking it

and arale is coming back once again in super
>>
>>141361372
>>141361638
they are tv specials, not movies
>>
>>141362158
Gohan was SSJ, but he seems weaker than any of the other SSJs, rather than stronger than everyone else.
>>
Most of them aren't, Battle of the Gods and Resurrection of Frieza were cannon, but the Super versions of those arcs are now the cannon versions, History of Trunks and The first Bardock special are cannon.
>>
>>141363743
>cannon
there's no confirmation super overrides the movies. toriyama himself wrote the scripts, he didn't for super. the trunks special is an adaptation of a special manga special. bardock is mostly non-canon thanks to db minus
>>
>>141363858
>toriyama himself wrote the scripts
There's 2 things to note here that's worth discussing.
1)Toei wrote the script initially and it was revamped/overhauled to make Beerus a neutral/sleepy cat not an evil alligator.
2)Super's manuscript was written by Toriyama himself, and it's also newer than the movie
>>
Wrath of the dragon could be canon desu. I mean I think it's at least canon in the gt continuity
>>
File: guests-koyama[1].png (214KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
guests-koyama[1].png
214KB, 400x400px
>>141358418

>make 13 DBZ movies
>not a single one is canon

>Some newfag comes and makes a movie about some invincible cat god
>it's suddenly canon

JUST
>>
>>141358418

Dragon Ball Z: Wrath of the Dragon.
>>
Garlic Jr appears in the series and they reference the wish he made in movie 1.
>>
>>141362158
Yeah but he was weak, SSJ1 Gohan was already stronger than Goku, he's literally not impressed by Goku's power and wonders how he plans to beat Cell being so weak.
>>
>>141364475
The movies that could be canon are Bojack movie, Wrath of the Dragon, Broly second movie and maybe the third Broly movie.
>>
>>141359689
Broly happens in the week before cell

it says so at the beginning of the movie.

>>141359490
Cooler happens during the 3 year training prior to the androids
>>
>>141358418
>Are ANY of the DBZ movies (Broly Trilogy, Garlic Jr., Battle of the Gods, etc.) officially canon?
no, not even the Bardock special
>>
>>141361638
it's not, it clashes with the end of Jaco which is written by Toryiama himself
>>
>>141362876
>>dbz bardock special (mostly overwritten by jaco)
is DB Minus canon? it must be since it doesn't clash with anything
>>
>>141364551
maybe in Z episodes but none of that is featured in Kai which is Toriyama Akira's original cut.
>>
>>141364693
>The movies that could be canon are Bojack movie, Wrath of the Dragon, Broly second movie and maybe the third Broly movie.
How can the second and third Broly movies be canon without the first one happening?
>>
>>141364551
filler
>>
>canon
History of Trunks
Bardock Special
Bardock: The Father of Goku
Revival of F
Battle of Gods

>might as well be canon
The broly movies, since he's so liked, they even put him in burst limit, which had a selling point of no filler or movie characters, Broly was the only movie character in it (i think)

The Cooler movies work too, since they happen during the 3 years of training for the androids

Bojack unbound should really be canon imo, its not a giant mess

the rest are a mess and are just a mess, like when does Worlds Strongest Happen? After Freiza, so why doesn't goku go SSJ?
>>
>>141365887
>Bardock Special
>Bardock: The Father of Goku
you should read the thread before posting faggot
>>
>>141365624
First movie happens diferently.
>>
>>141358418
Bojack Unbound and Wrath of the Dragon fit into the timeline without any major contradictions, but none of them are canon.
>>
>>141364693
Second Coming doesn't work because Videl knows about the Dragon Balls but Goku is still dead.
>>
File: DBZSB2blog_import_4e197da4db0b1.png (12KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
DBZSB2blog_import_4e197da4db0b1.png
12KB, 256x224px
Super Butoden 2's alternate Boujack story > Boujack movie
>>
>>141363974
>2)Super's manuscript was written by Toriyama himself, and it's also newer than the movie

Toriyama only writes plot outlines for Super, and we don't even know if that outline covered the first two movies. Toriyama's comments about the first two arcs of Super never mentioned anything about writing or rewriting them, he acknowledged that they'd be retellings. And King Ryo (the main script writer for Universe 6 tournament arc) specifically referenced the first two arcs as being "based on the movies" and then went on to talk about how the next arc would be based on a new Toriyama story and it'd be a big responsibility to adapt it.

Also, from the recent news about the new arc:

>story and characters based an original draft by Akira Toriyama.
>Like last time, I write an outline of the entire plot
>>
>>141366062
nah m8 go fuck yourself
>>
>>141369115
Minor detail.
>>
>>141358418
Only the TV specials and the new movies (Battle of Gods, Revival of Freeza) are canon. The rest don't fit in the timeline and are just plain shit.
>>
>>141369428
I guess Plot outline is what we should refer to his basic manuscripts then.
Also it's King Ryu not Ryo.
>>
>>141365428
yup db minus is in jaco
>>
>>141361581
Getting angrier doesn't count as character development. Broly a shit and youre a shit for defending him in any capacity
>>
>>141361280
It was all about the fight scenes anyway.
>>
>>141358418
My dear OP, the Bojack one could actually be perfectly canon. Also the Tapion one. The two Broly ones could be but I don't think so, because it was supposed to happen in the 7 days Cell gives the Z-Warriors to train.
Battle of Gods and Resurrection of "F" are 100% canon because it was said so by Akira Toriyama. (Although I don't consider them canon. They did all of the Videl shit with Pan vecause of the surprise for Gohan but actually, if you read the manga there was still Vegeta's daughter, named Bra whose blood is also half saiyan)
>>
>>141374859
Bra is a year younger than Pan.
>>
File: Bulla_1.png (32KB, 180x101px) Image search: [Google]
Bulla_1.png
32KB, 180x101px
>>141374979
Actually not. Bra was 5 years old in the martial arts tournament while Pan was 4
>>
>>141375186
Nope, in the manga Bra's age is never said, it's in the Daizenshuu 7 that is stated that Bra was born in the 780 and Pan in the 779.
>>
>>141375186
>Actually not. Bra was 5 years old in the martial arts tournament while Pan was 4

No. Pan is a year older, which is not only stated in the databooks, but also reconfirmed even in that trainwreck that was GT.
>>
>>141369849
She also watches Super Saiyans while she didn't know that Gohan could transform during the 25th Tenkaichi
>>
File: XbAywYi.gif (947KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
XbAywYi.gif
947KB, 500x281px
Does exist a version of Videl that can even compare with the one from Wrath of the Dragon
>>
>>141358418
>Are ANY of the DBZ movies (Broly Trilogy, Garlic Jr., Battle of the Gods, etc.) officially canon?
No.

Bojack probably fits in off the top of my head. Dead Zone would fit in if not for the fact that Krillin already knows about Gohan I think.

The shit that is the new Bardock stuff overwrote the old bardock special.
>>
>>141358418
Not likely. A logical spot in the timeline doesn't mean anything when Toriyama didn't write it. They're not canon unless he says otherwise.
>>
>>141376572
does a version of videl even exist that isn't best girl of all time?
i feel so lucky that DB/DBZ were my first anime
>>
File: Beach.jpg (333KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Beach.jpg
333KB, 1920x1080px
>>141378985
>does a version of videl even exist that isn't best girl of all time?
Super.

Other than that, best girl.
>>
>>141379028
Seeing Videl's twintails always hurt me.
>>
>>141359006
What about the one with Vegeta's brother? Isn't he mentioned in Super?
>>
>>141364693
Actually it'd be Cooler's Revenge, Broly 1, Bojack Unbound, Wrath of the Dragon and MAYBE Dead Zone, depending on who you talk to.
>>
>>141380240
why?
>>141380365
I think only in the movie of botg.
>>
File: I_wanna_be_a_Super_Saiyan.jpg (48KB, 644x464px) Image search: [Google]
I_wanna_be_a_Super_Saiyan.jpg
48KB, 644x464px
>>141379028
>Super
Feels bad man
>>
>>141358418
Just BotG and RoF, though many people debate this with Super retelling and changing them. However Super messed with the timeline iirc, though this could be bad subtitles.

The History of Trunks tv special is for all intents and purposes canon, as is Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return, though with Super possibly changing the timeline this could be mucked up since there would be no time for this to take place.

The only movies that could fit into the timeline with absolutely no plot holes are Revenge of Cooler, Bojack Unbound, Wrath of the Dragon with the last being more cemented with trunks receiving the sword at the end which greatly resembles Future Trunks' sword coupled with the fact that DB Online had Goten and trunks starting a school for sword mastery.
The first Broly movie COULD potentially squeeze into the time frame between when Goku and Gohan leave the RoSaT, since Trunks and Vegeta could only use it twice in total, being two days. There were roughly nine days between the games' announcement and Goku and Gohan leaving the RoSaT giving Vegeta and Trunks one more day and Piccolo used one as well.
So there were a few days the Broly plot could've taken place.
The Meta Cooler movie could possibly take place without plotholes under the circumstance that none of the Z Fighters saw Vegeta as a Super Saiyan besides Goku, since everyone was surprised to see him transformed against the Androids.

Bardock is what fucks up he canon most, since Dragon Ball minus, the Bardock tv special and the Episode of Bardock all exist together. EoB and the tv special could co-exist and make sense canonically given DB Online, But DB- is said to be more canon and fits with the Jaco stuff which also ties to RoF/Super. And while the Episode of Bardock also had a manga it wasn't written by Toriyama, making minus the actual canon despite DB Online? But Bardock also appears in his tv special/EoB armor during the Frieza saga of the original manga because Toriyama enjoyed it
cont.
>>
File: bardockmanga.png (199KB, 396x546px) Image search: [Google]
bardockmanga.png
199KB, 396x546px
>>141381378
Bardock's armor in DB- is different from how it appears in the original Dragon Ball manga. So discussing Bardock in terms of canon is a huge headache because he's been redone several times by several people, including Toriyama, who we already know can't keep his series together as it is.

DB Online is the last chronological canon story, as it was written by Toriyama. It wasn't released worldwide but did have a fleshed out world and lore much of which is seen in subsequent items such as DB heroes, which is very non canon, and Xenoverse, which could be seen as canon somehow since it messes with time and whatnot, but most likely isn't.

GT is not canon. Pan being in BoG (technically), RoF and Super does not make GT more viable since Pan and Bra both appear at the end of Z during the Tournament with Uub. Also after looking into it >>141375596 is right though I also had thought Bra was older by a year.

GT is probably what makes Xenoverse non canon with though alternate universes could be used as an excuse. But with Super explaining the way universes work this is most likely a moot argument, unless a future universal tournament arc includes a mirroring cast that could be GT.
But what about Black Goku? Well more likely than not it's mind controlled Bardock via DB Online, which only cements Online as being canon and further confuses the existence of Bardock.
>>
>>141361638
It used to be, then Toriyama wrote Bardock into the end of Jaco and effectively wrote the movie out of canon. Probably the reason why a lot of people hate Gine because she decanonized one of the best pieces of Dragon Ball fiction ever created.
>>
The manga is canon and nothing else is. There is no sense in trying to reconcile Toei's bullshit and Toriyama's half assed ideas he came up with over a decade after the story ended.
>>
As far as I can tell Cooler 1 is possibly cannon since there is nothing that contradicts it and fits snugly into the gap right after mecha freeza and before the androids
>>
>>141381763
>>141381378

Nice. I enjoyed reading this.
>>
>>141381378
History of Trunks isn't canon. It's just like the rest of the anime. It's an adaptation of a manga chapter but stretched out and changed. I'm gonna ignore the other crap you said.
>>
According to the anime timeline:
Dead Zone is canon (it has to be for Garlic Junior Saga to happen)
World's Strongest doesn't fit
Tree of Might doesn't fit
Lord Slug doesn't fit
Cooler's Revenge goes in the 3 year Android training period
Return of Cooler doesn't fit
Super Android 13 doesn't fit
Broly goes in the 10 day wait for the Cell Games
Bojack fits between Cell and Buu
Second Coming of Broly could conceivably fit in the pre-World Tournament training period
Bio-Broly doesn't fit
Fusion Reborn doesn't fit
Wrath of the Dragon goes in the gap between defeat of Buu and Battle of the Gods
Battle of Gods and Return of Frieza are basically Super Kai.
>>
>>141380612
Not him, but I guess it's because that's a great design, imho the best female in the series.

What we have now in Super doesn't even look like her and she became so fucking bland.
>>
>>141365887
none of the bardock anime is canon

dragonball zero manga overwrites it completely
>>
Canon Timeline:

Sachie-chan Guu!! (manga)
Jiya (manga)
Dragon Ball Minus (manga)
Jaco the Galactic Patrolman (manga)
Dragon Ball (Manga)
Dragon Ball Kai (anime)
History of Trunks (anime)
Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return (anime)
Dragon Ball Super (anime)
>>
>>141382622
forgot to toss Dr Slump in there after Jaco
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.