[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is even the point of watching anime when manga is superior

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 15

File: Berserk_v32c279p12_13.png (789KB, 800x582px) Image search: [Google]
Berserk_v32c279p12_13.png
789KB, 800x582px
What is even the point of watching anime when manga is superior in virtually every way?

Seriously, unless you're an illiterate shitpleb there's no reason to watch the anime over the manga, which happens to be the source material, most of the time the anime has horrendous filler or at best is a 1:1 adaptation that is pointless to watch in the first place.

That's not even getting to the vastly superior artwork in manga. I know people praise OPM's animation, but it pales in comparison to the manga. Even Nausicaa's manga looks buttloads better than the movie. That's not even getting into shounen shit where the anime is just laughably bad compared to the manga counterpart like One Piece, and yeah I know One Piece sucks, but the manga is still ten times better than the anime.

No current studio could do a Berserk adaptation justice unless it's in ova format and it pours a fuckton of money into its production and even then nothing would compare to pic related. Hell no studio could also adapt an Inoue work without it coming out looking like shit in comparison to the manga.

I guess you have the distinct advantage of having color, sound, and motion but that isn't inherently an advantage and with the quality of today's animation it detracts more than adds. I guess OST to some series are nice, and watching some scenes being animated here and there is cool. But apart from high produced movies, anime doesn't handle a candle to manga.
>>
>>141105329
I guess
>>
I just use it as a way to figure out which manga are worth reading.
>>
>>141105329
If you like manga so much, why do you sound like an entry-level faggot who reads two series a year?
>>
>>141105397
I just used those examples cause I thought people would be familiar with them, I'm literally laughing if you think those are all I read. I'm not about to be some hipster faggot and list obscure series just to prove a point.
>>
>>141105329
What's with mangas with Western like setting always getting attack by a Arab/Indian like power?
Really there's never a Evil Russian like Empire trying to take over the Kingdom.
>>
>>141105634
Everyone hates sandniggers anon
>>
>>141105634
>mangas
>>
File: 017.jpg (251KB, 1200x876px) Image search: [Google]
017.jpg
251KB, 1200x876px
Why even try anime? It's just not fair, you were outmatched from day one.
>>
>no voices
>no movement
>action "scenes" in manga take a chapter or more to properly convey
>virtually no color aside from covers and special issues with a colored page or two

I like manga, but a good anime beats a good manga in literally every way. The only thing manga really has over anime is that there's so much more stuff out there, and it's a lot faster to consume.
>>
File: 00serpico1.jpg (114KB, 411x502px) Image search: [Google]
00serpico1.jpg
114KB, 411x502px
none of these are inherent disadvantages other than the the action scenes part which I disagree with. Also color isn't inherently an advantage some serious fit black and white much better. Something like Akira, Berserk, From Hell, Maus, and Lone Wolf & Cub would look glossy and out of place with color. Not to mention screentoning or hatching is a skill in itself.

It's weird cause many times the movies are better than the books, but rarely are the anime better than the manga. Most anime adaptations that are highly praised are just 1:1 adaptations of manga (not counting VN adaptations).
>>
>>141106351
some series*
>>
File: Dragon Ball - V22C327 - Page 13.png (562KB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Ball - V22C327 - Page 13.png
562KB, 1024x1536px
>>141105329
That's true. Plus a good manga stands to the test of time while a good anime doesn't.

But you know what? I like both.
>>
>>141105329
I mean I prefer manga most the time, but comedy series are much better as anime.
So are SoL and 4koma.

And harems.
Also tons of series don't have a manga, or if they do they're new, aren't translated, etc.
If you read a manga and like it, seeing it animated is really cool.
There are plenty of reasons to watch the anime even if it's the inferior format.
>>
>>141106351
I'm guessing you meant to respond to me here >>141106148 so I'll just reply.

First of all, most of this obviously comes down to opinions. In your OP you asked "What is even the point of watching anime when manga is superior in virtually every way?", and I told you why. I like color, I like movement and animation, and I like good voice acting and sounds, all of which are pretty much devoid from manga. Manga isn't bad as a result, but I vastly would prefer a good anime over a good manga.

>Something like Akira, Berserk, From Hell, Maus, and Lone Wolf & Cub would look glossy and out of place with color.

There are lots of filters and different color designs that can give a show a dark look. They don't have to have a bright glossy paintjob like you seem to think, because there are so many different ways to have a color scheme for a show. Hell, the show doesn't even need to have the same scheme throughout the show, and can change it according to the mood or timing to best match the tone of what's happening. Haven't you seen the Akira movie? It looks amazing.
>>
I haven't watched anime in like 4 or more years. Its too time consuming.
>>
File: file.png (130KB, 258x250px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
130KB, 258x250px
>>141105329
Fan service OVAs, you actual shittard.
>>
So, how's the Boruto manga?
>>
>>141106148
Except the art is miles better than any anime could realistically achieve, and manga isn't as restricted content wise, specially since Miura seems to have virtually no restrictions. If I had to choose between an anime or manga, for Berserk specifically, manga no question.
>>
>>141106612
Yeah this is all opinions, I can understand those preferences. I guess it's just that there are many things that anime can do that manga can't and conversely there are thing that manga can do that anime can't. Although I'm going to have to use a western comic as an example, watchmen is probably the example most often used of a comic that achieves things only it's medium can do. Granted, I haven't read a manga with structure like watchmen's that really utilized the medium it's telling its story to the fullest, but that was just as an example of sequential art's advantages.

>>141106714
This too, for me anyway. I tend to blow through manga much more quickly than anime, but that isn't an inherent advantage of anime, but it is nice that you can read at your own pace (if you're a fast or slow reader).

I mean I can understand preferring anime to manga, and really there SHOULD be more anime that are better than their counterparts since you have a whole studio of people with different ideas working together rather than just one guy (maybe two if there's an illustrator and storyteller) and a bunch of yes man assistants telling his story. But from what I've seen it's at best a nice substitute but rarely do I see like Psychos or Apocalypse nows to their counterparts.

And yeah the akira movies looks great (as do a lot of movies from that time period), I do think the manga looks better but it was mostly I just felt all the colored pages look out of place with the series. And the b&w really allows it an enormous level detail that coloring otherwise couldn't. And berserk would just look worse in color, it'd be like coloring Gustave Dore's paintings.
>>
>>141107023
>still scenes are better drawn than animation

No fucking shit, I would hope so.
>>
>>141107067
>not watching anime at 1.5x
Its all over folks >>141105397
was right this guy is just a pleb regardless of whether or not you agree with him.
>>
File: 003.jpg (649KB, 840x1200px) Image search: [Google]
003.jpg
649KB, 840x1200px
Because I have found that manga takes much more effort to process.

I need to take my time imagining it. The sounds, the movements, the colors, the camera, the voices.

When I was little it was very easy. I could instantly see the characters moving and I could the VAs just as they sound in the TV.

I don't know it became harder as I got older.I cannot read manga if I'm sick or thinking on other stuff but I can easily watch anime.
>>
>>141107330
>I need to take my time imagining it. The sounds, the movements, the colors, the camera, the voices.
> takes much more effort to process.

Literally autism.
>>
File: gon12.png (3MB, 3651x2600px) Image search: [Google]
gon12.png
3MB, 3651x2600px
>>141105874
>reading Gon's shit scans
Jesus Anon, Gon is not a manga you read for the story, what's even the point in reading those shit scans when you can't admire the most majestic art manga has to offer.
>>
File: gally.jpg (26KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
gally.jpg
26KB, 225x350px
>>141107330
don't read books if that's the case. But seriously I thought that would be the other way around, like maybe there's too much going on at an anime and you have to constantly pause and really soak everything in, whereas with a manga you could just look at a page for a long time and read at your own pace.
>>
>>141106351
>Not to mention screentoning or hatching is a skill in itself.
That has nothing to do with color as those can work just fine with color.
>>
Too bad manga doesn't have moving pictures,color or sound

CHECKMATE
>>
File: KKOW42.png (274KB, 750x1205px) Image search: [Google]
KKOW42.png
274KB, 750x1205px
>>141106601
>So are SoL
no
>>
>>141107629
Right because most anime with that slide show budget move a whole lot.
>>
>>141107659
Generally, yes. There are always exceptions.
Plus the OVA for that was enjoyable.
>>
File: Berserk_v18_p133.png (494KB, 1226x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Berserk_v18_p133.png
494KB, 1226x1800px
>>141105329
>AND MANGA!
>dose scans
An hero.
>>
Scanlation groups are unreliable as fuck. I got tired pretty quickly of picking up interesting series only for them to get dropped half way through.

I'm currently learning moon, so maybe I'll get more into manga when I get good enough that I don't have to rely on shitty scanlation groups.
>>
>>141105329
What is even the point of reading manga when books is superior in virtually every way?
Seriously, unless you're an illiterate shitpleb there's no reason to read the manga over the book, which happens to be the source material, most of the time the manga has horrendous filler or at best is a 1:1 adaptation that is pointless to read in the first place.
tl;dr
Go read a book nigger.
>>
>>141107859
There is so much manga, I don't see how that is an issue. Just move on to something else.
>>
>>141107916
>move onto something else
>that gets dropped by its scanlation group too
>>
>>141107942
You just add it to the backlog and forget about it. Eventually someone might pick it up, and when you go check it in a few months there might be lots of chapters to read.

There are also tons of completed series already to start on, if you're anal about updates. Once you've read a lot of series you wont be keeping up with updates for all of it anyways.

I have maybe 150-200 series I'm ''currently reading'' but I only keep up with maybe 10 of those for updates. That's kind of the way manga works.
>>
File: 058.jpg (64KB, 1104x718px) Image search: [Google]
058.jpg
64KB, 1104x718px
>>141107859
this is annoying yeah, or when manga scanlations are way behind. Isn't all rounder meguru finished but the manga is so far behind in terms of being translated?
>>
File: BBH10.png (543KB, 980x1420px) Image search: [Google]
BBH10.png
543KB, 980x1420px
>>141107755
>Generally, yes.
no
>>
>>141107884
Not sure if you're baiting or not but everyone knows the source material for whatever is always the best option but of course most manga isn't based on books.
>>
>>141108042
Yes. Though delinquents are probably the exception, such as that one, GTO, and Beezlebub for examples.
>>
>>141107629
How can people use this as an argument when it relies on the assumption that the anime will have good animation as well as visual and sound direction? Those are definitely not guarantees.

When anime is done well, it's great. But it's so much easier to find good manga than good anime, and it takes a fraction of the time investment to figure out if it's worthwhile. Manga only requires one individual with talent to be good, whereas anime requires a team worth of talent and a decent budget to be good, and we're very lucky if we get that.
>>
>>141107859
>Scanlation groups are unreliable as fuck
Yeah because most anime cover the entire manga right?
>>
>>141108031
Meguru's not that bad. I'm following some things that are lagging by over a decade. God, I need to learn nip.
>>
>>141105329
Manga is to books as anime is to movies.

Sure there are stand alone animes... but when you have read a book/manga first, the anime/film is held to a different standard.

However, anime is kinda expected to be shit on average (the diamonds are rare, the shit is the baseline) so people put up with a lot of stuff in the name of crazy stuff like waifus or battle scenes.
>>
>>141105329
>What is even the point of watching anime when manga is superior in virtually every way?
Anime-original content, not talking about shitty filler/anime-original ending, but new arcs like Detective Conan's OVAs and Movies.
Also on rare occasion there are decent original anime.

>which happens to be the source material
Except around half the adaptation of late have been based of Light Novels.

>at best is a 1:1 adaptation that is pointless to watch in the first place
If you seriously enjoyed a series (or even just certain arcs/scenes), seeing it animated is highly satisfying. 'Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu' is a perfect example.
Also there are cases when the Anime presents things better than the source material (as is the case for many 4-Koma Ex. 'Working').

>anime doesn't handle a candle to manga
That is only valid for low budget Anime done by shitty studios who don't give a fuck (Like 'One Piece' as you've pointed out). OVAs and Movies by decent studios with decent budgets can be great.
>>
>>141107884
well battle royale the book is the best version out of all three choices, so maybe you're onto something.
>>
File: 19cri6gfnt3kkjpg.jpg (60KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
19cri6gfnt3kkjpg.jpg
60KB, 800x450px
>>141108321
Ghost in the shell (both the movies and series) are also better than the manga
>>
>>141105329
>What is even the point of watching anime when manga is superior in virtually every way?
Original shows for one. I agree 1:1 adaptations are not a good watch when sacrifices are made to fit production schedules. Studios adding their own touch to a show (HxH 2011) can be promising though. Plenty of people swear by the original FMA which trailed off tangentially from the source material because it wasn't finished. Studios also have the room to add personal touches to scenes you already recognize to augment the experience.
>>
>>141108557
>Studios adding their own touch to a show (HxH 2011)
HxH 2011 is well known for being an inferior copy paste of the manga panels. Maybe you're confusing it with 99.
>>
>>141107598
Looks like only a few chapters were released in that quality
>>
>>141108321
I agree sort of with seeing LN being adapted even if it follows the source material closely. I don't know, I guess since manga is largely a visual medium anyway seeing shit on screen that looks exactly like the source material is pointless (Monster) but watching a book get adapted is a bit different. And even then I like to watch certain scenes animated (even if it looks shoddy).
>>
>>141108630
Absolutely not. The animator from Madhouse who is brought in for important episodes (ep.116 as an example in HxH2011) did excellent on a few occasions in the series.
>>
>>141106351
Adaptations rarely are on the level of the original. Same goes for FLCL 's, TTGL 's and KlK's garbage manga adaptations .
>>
You're not going to win over anyone here. And not like that. Haven't watched anime in years.
>>
>>141106148
>no voices
>A bad thing

>Muh action
>>
File: 1461974614412.jpg (461KB, 1100x500px) Image search: [Google]
1461974614412.jpg
461KB, 1100x500px
>>141105329
You can easily make good (watchable) adaptation out of bad manga source.
It's pretty much impossible to do justice to a skilled (good) mangaka with adaptation, but hey, most of the manga are terrible.
I mean, look at the current Big Order (TV) and his fucking ost.
>>
>>141105329
>One Piece sucks
does it? i think it's pretty good
>>
>>141114176
It's alright
>>
>>141105329
What you do is only watch films, OVAs and the occasional high quality original tv anime. You already know to only read good manga, so why not apply the same principles to anime?
>>
>>141115122
>ic
This. I read way more manga than I watch anime, but when something good comes along I'll watch it.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.