[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>You aren't supposed to animate with tris >All game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: 235763652.webm (2MB, 800x375px) Image search: [Google]
235763652.webm
2MB, 800x375px
>You aren't supposed to animate with tris
>All game engines convert quads to tris and the animation are of pic related level

I don't get it, so can i have tris in my mesh or not?
>>
Once the animation is baked into a quad mesh, converting it to tris doesn't change the deformation. You need quads when you're animating.
>>
>>575430
Oh okay,thanks
>>
>>575428
what game is that? looks pretty sick

I'd say FFXV if the protagonist didn't look like a female
>>
>>575433
Its XV, they are adding a Monster Hunter-like Multiplayer and the beta was like 1 day ago
>>
>>575434
>mohu-like multiplayer

muh dick

thanks anon
>>
>>575434
is that ingame anon??
>>
>>575428
dat skin shading and hair looks quite ebin
>>
>>575430
>You need quads when you're animating.
no, you don't. It's safe to assume you've never animated at a pro level.
>>
>>575428
Idk why game engines uses tris,they say,its more efficent.And if you would use only quads in your model,computer can turn those quads to tris without any scratch and you can subdivie those quad hoe many tines you want.But you cant do these things with other polygons.
>>
>>575796
You can subsivide those quads how many times you want.*
>>
>>575790
Yep,FF XV has some parts that look fucking impossibly good but also some fucking PS2 tier ones
>>
>>575795

not him, fuck off though.

you can, but it gains you nothing, as modeling is done in quads what the point in converting it before anim
>>
>>575807
You also lose nothing, i see too many people trying to turn every tri into a quad on their models and they waste fucking days trying with edge loops or some weird edge patterns everywhere just to not have tris when in reality it doesn't matter that much
>>
What game is that
>>
>>575813

well alright then, i agree on that.
>>
>>575795
>>575813
t. doesn't understand math
Tris and ngons don't matter worth a shit if they get placed in spots that are never deformed or don't deform much.
The math used to animate relies on quads. It's easier that way. Sure, there are edge cases that take tris and ngons into account, but they are less predictable.

If it's impossible or unreasonable to not have a tri or an ngon in your model, you should at least place it somewhere it doesn't cause any problems.
>>
>>575874
This kinda shit right here is why I still bother coming to /3 Thanks anon, I needed a good laugh.
>>
>>575428
Because it's just a meme. It's fine for your model to have triangles, it's not going to ruin everything. Yes you should use quads as much as possible while modeling because quads make everything easier. But some triangles are fine if they are absolutely necessary.
Like other anons said, it doesn't matter that the mesh is converted to triangles by the game engine. The truth is a quad is just two triangles, the only time it matters that it's a quad is while you're modeling, not while the model is in-game.
>>
do u even fuckibg kno quads made up if 2 tris

even in ur viewport
>>
>>575428
It depends anon. I usually stick to quads and quads only. Subdividing tris? No thanks. This >>575874
anon pretty much sums it up. It's not usually a big deal depending on what said mesh is doing.

>>All game engines convert quads to tris and the animation are of pic related level

All of those tris can be converted back to quads in almost any 3D software. As you said, quads are converted to tris. They don't have tris to begin with.
>>
>>576842
>All of those tris can be converted back to quads in almost any 3D software
kys my man
>>
>>575813
Have fun subdividing.
>>
>>575790
>>575799
What details makes you think this looks good?
The particles and the DOF effect?
>>575874
>The math used to animate relies on quads.
Depends entirely on the animation system but I'd say no in general.
https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/Skeletal_Animation
This is a very typical bone animation system, simplified of course. To explain the code (vertex shader):
You give each vertex (or less granular, you could give each # vertices a bone to reduce amount of redundant data stored on the GPU) an association to a bone (an index), you then pass the GPU the bones (uniform mat4 Bone[10];). When it's render time you take the index associated to the vertex, reference the transformation associated with the bone and apply it to the vertex.
For animating the joints you either give them specialized bones or one of numerous other solutions.

The entire point of bones in animation from the programmer side is performance, optimized for realism each vertex would be animated entirely seperately according to some complex physical simulation of flesh for example. But that's not feasible and would largely be unnoticeable. So we use bones, we associate verticies to bones so we don't have to calculate the transform for every bone separately.

On the GPU everything is a triangle that's implicitly built by an order of vertices (vert, 1,2,3->triangle, 4,5,6-> triangle).
But that's the real time rendering side of it. What produces good results in 3D tools may be entirely different.
>>
>>576914
Something I should add is that I think the reason people might support more abstraction for their animations is because there may be some general rules to how things should animate and having a higher level of abstraction lets that bit be automated, if you define animation at a lower level (tris or verts). You can't automate that part.
i.e. If we had an amazing piece of animation software that let you just tell the program "I've rigged a head, this is the neck" and then it properly simulates how skin on a neck animates you'd be getting a good result cheaply. Perhaps 3D animation tools know how to deal with quads->tris well enough generally that it's not worth it to work in tris. Leaving that to the software is

But I'm not a modeler guy. If this were the case you'd see animations using quads break from being quads into tris occasionally in rendering, which would be hard to detect by visual inspection on the end result. What you can do is color the tris by their normal (perhaps make the color chaotic so you'd see a drastic difference where they differ). If you see what'd normally be a quad be two distinctly colored triangles then your animation has made use of you using a higher level of abstraction to your animations.
>>
File: subdivide.jpg (33KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
subdivide.jpg
33KB, 800x600px
>>576898
>>
>>576914
>>576915
So renderers operate on nothing but vertices really?
>>
you can have tris when exporting the model to the engine.
>>
>>575428
Don't know if anyone has said this. BUT the main reason to use quads is loop mesh modeling specially since quads SUBDIVIDE into controllable predictable ways for Subdivision modeling. And a good looped mesh will deform well when animated
>>
>>575428

ive seen plenty quad models with a couple of tris in, its not a crime its good work ethic. dont doubt yourself
>>
>>576965
pain
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.