[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MAYA or Max

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 14

File: autodesk_.png (257KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
autodesk_.png
257KB, 900x900px
Learned Blender for ~600 hours,
now I want to switch because the Industry standard are these autodesk programs.
Why use one over an other ? why does it matter ?
What would you use if you wanted to model time efficient and easy , are ther more / better tuts available ?
>>
>>564770
>why does it matter ?
It doesnt. It all depens on what do you want to achieve or what you can do. Heres a thesis ive heard: Modelling - max, animation - maya.
>>
It really depends on what you want to do.

If you're interested in 3D printing mechanical things, industrial CAD or (industrial) prototyping, I'd reccomend autocad.

For more 'creative' or more hobbyist jobs I'd recommend sticking with Blender.
>>
>>564772
>>564771
thats what I've grasped, too .
I will probably go with max and leave Blender,
because I want to go professional and render /model some scenes for my portfolio, and no animations.
>>
>>564770
Max if you like to pretend you are a CAD modeler without actually being one, Maya for everything else.
>>
From what i've seen Maya has better animation tools, but most freelance work i've done and job listings i've seen have called for Max. I suppose Max is like the more "default" 3D software of the two.
>>
>>564831
Max is better for modelling
Maya is better for animating
>>
Any difference between Maya and C4D/aftereffects in terms of animating?

I plan on making GIF illustrations with a bit of handdrawn character placed on an image plane because I suck at modelling. Can I "rig" a 2D object in Maya?

Also I find Maya's UI less user-friendly with buttons all over the place, but take it from me who spent only about an hour on it.
>>
>>564940 OP here
you can do it, when the plane has enough subdivisions. then you just rig it as usual.
But I dont know if it looks good.
I don't know how to do it anywhere else than in Blender, tho.
>>
>>564940
Sure you can rig 2d objects in Maya. It's all programmatic. But if you want to do 2d animation it's easier to use Spine Pro, Synfig, Toon Boom, AE, etc.
>>
>>564770
maya uses python for scripting(you can use MEL also)
max uses maxscript
>>
File: pepe.png (158KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.png
158KB, 1920x1080px
>>564772
>I'd reccomend autocad.
Get with times grandpa, it aint 1986 anymore.
>>
>>564770
Use Modo. Max and especially Maya are literally meme programs that are used because they are popular (industry standard). They are a fucking decade behind and buggy as shit.
>>
I've actually been considering switching from maya, because that damn history list is a pain in the ass. It makes editing bound geometry basically impossible, so you have to duplicate the geo to work on it, then bind it back and hope copy history works like it's supposed to.

Hey anons, what CG applications let you modify bound geo without everything breaking?
>>
>>565033
Being somewhat experienced with Blender,
I wanted to have an /((industry standard)) tool ,even if they have its disadvantages
Just because I can say in 3-5 jears , that I am an professional TM and apply at most job listings that just offer 3ds positions.
Modo seems good, tho.

I hope they get to use Blender more in the future.

There are some Indie- type 3D game or Animation studios that use Blender.. How do you find them ? Preferably in Germany
I have found a smaller one nearby me and they say either use max or gtfo
>>
In what areas is Blender worse than Max and Maya?

Those add-ons are fucking crazy and make life so much easier, also, tons of high-quality tutorials and I'm already making great things after a single day of learning it (started with 3ds max, probably will return because of the "industry standard" meme, but I will also continue using Blender for sure).

And this time I don't have to actually pirate tons of different programs just to be able to create and scatter some vegetation.
>>
>>565061
>Hey anons, what CG applications let you modify bound geo without everything breaking?

Nothing. This isn't a Maya exclusive problem. Don't rig until your mesh is finalised. If you fail to do this it means you've failed to design your mesh according to your animation needs.
>>
>>565074
Anything related to VFX, like fluid/smoke/fire simulations, cloth, destruction, physics, particles.
In general Modelling, UV and animation.
>>
>>565086

Modelling, UV and Animation in Max are far worse IMHO. You are right about the physics and particlesim though. Also both Max and Maya have official V-Ray support unlike Blender which is an "oh btw try this plugin with standalone i dunno" type deal.
>>
>>565074
Maya surpasses Blender in both UVs and animation bro. Modelling is more subjective and I personally like to model in Max more cause of stacks, but Blender is not better than these "meme" standards. It is however an acceptable program which you could create professional art and assets in.
>>
>>565094
>>565086
>>565099

I don't know... I need to use 3ds max for a class, but I'm playing around in Blender today and I really enjoy it. I actually like the workflow better.

What surprises me the most is how "easy" it is to make something look good here, it's probably just me, but I spent a couple of weeks trying to render a good exterior in Vray (even went through every Mastering Vray course by Warwick) but it still doesn't look right. I'm getting great results here immediately with blender lights. There's a lot of nice addons I can use here, too.

It also crashes less often. I imported blender scene into 3ds max, added a couple of lights - crashed every time, and I can't work like that, I waste tons of time, it is not even funny anymore.

I don't want to waste too much time spreading myself too thin either, though. Fuck, I got to the point where I don't know where to go next anymore, there's too many things to do.
>>
>>565100
If you like Blender that's fine, just know you are in the minority when it comes to professionals. You do you boo.
>>
>>565100
Again, if you have the possibility, I would personally just stick to max and not develop into a generalist.
Can't be that bad , tough.
Importing scenes is what you would normally not do I guess ?
>>
>>565099
maya is surely better for animation, but in UV im not sure.
both have alot of unwrap options, i think its just a matter of practice
>>
>>565110
What's Blenders autopack like? In Maya I can get 85-90% packs with a large amount of UV islands with just a little tweaking. It's largely why I say UVing in Maya is better than Blender.
>>
>>565112

The "Pack Islands" function in blender has a density slider where you determine how tightly you want them packed. There's also a checkbox to specify if you want it to auto-rotate the islands for a tighter fit.
>>
Can somebody explain to me what software is the best to commit to if:

>I want to create environments and probably become an environment designer for games
>I want to work in archviz
>I want to make my own short animations and possibly work on bigger films

Is UE4 + 3ds max good for everything?
>>
>>565128
>I want to create environments and probably become an environment designer for games
Anything you want for modeling, though Maya/Max are the industry standards with Modo starting to gain ground in some places. Substance/Quixel is also a must, with Substance gradually overtaking Quixel.
>I want to work in archviz
Max (for the plugins) + Vray (Arnold is starting to look good, but Vray is what's most widely used I believe)
>I want to make my own short animations and possibly work on bigger films
I'm constantly told Maya's animation tools are way better than Max.

Source: environment artist with a casual interest in archviz. Maya being better than Max for animation is common knowledge, though feel free to prove me wrong about that.
>>
>>565114
All programs have this, from Modo to Maya to Max to Blender. What I am asking is what is the density pack in space being used? As most autopackers only get around 60-80%, Maya I can easily get to 85-90% space used in less than a minute with the tweaks. If Blenders autopacking algorithms are shit, then the UVing in Maya is superior.
>>
>>565131
Forgot to add, you can use Max for everything named above (including animating), but if you're looking to do something professionally I recommend concentrating only on that specific workflow and not worrying about what professionals in other fields do.
>>
>>565132
well its also important that you have decent space between islands (especially for heavy texturing), so manually working your UV map is almost mandatory.
i usually give 5 minutes to arrange the map to perfection because i need some areas to have decent resolution
>>
>>565133
>>565131
Thanks. So, is UE4 worth learning at all? I've also seen people do everything with it, I've tried it a bit and it is pretty smooth. But idk if it can come close to Vray in terms of quality. Who would use that engine?
>>
>>565132

I don't get what you're asking, i already said that the density is adjusted depending on a margin around each island. That density will vary depending on the shape of the islands so you're not going to have a consitent percentage every time. I'm not trying to imply anything is superior, i'm just explaining how it's done in Blender - give it a try and draw your own conclusions. Maybe Maya's is better, i haven't tried it.
>>
>Max is industry standard
>crashes constantly
Just today I got around 10-15 crashes and basically just wasted my time. Khm...

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>565136
UE4 is definitely good to know for games. It's the best non-proprietary/internal AAA engine you can learn as an artist, and it's used pretty widely in the industry (along with Unity, but I'd say Unity is more of an indie thing because it offers more programming flexibility for slightly lower graphical quality).

For archviz it's a bit different. Realtime archviz is becoming a thing thanks to UE4, but I couldn't tell you if it's widely used or not. And even if it does catch on there will always be a demand for archviz renders as well.
>>
>>565137
I am saying that most autopack programs have shit algorithms and can't pack for shit. I am talking about optimal packing done automatically, and you can set your "density" to however much you want but that won't fix the actual pack if the packages algorithm is shit to begin with. Just because you can set some settings in Blender doesn't mean you will get a 90% utilized space pack with a ton of UV islands that aren't just boxes. In fact I would reckon that Blender has a substandard autopack, somewhat like 3DS Max. Maya has gained a much better algorithm with its updates over the years and as such gives me 85-90% used space in my UVs because the algorithm makes sure to use space. Settings options do not dictate the amount of used space used if the algorithm is shit.

It sounds to me you really don't know understand what I'm even talking about as you're not knowledgeable enough in this area, Have a nice day anon.
>>
>>565154
you could get like a 85% texture space (roughly) but you would also have to use planar unwrap for that and have islands which are so tight your bleed is gonna be fucking shit when you texture models.
so like i said, first of its important to have good islands which are not too dense and are conformal with the geometry of your mesh. secondly you want to have good texture density which can be achieved by manually moving some islands around which is very easy. i don't see the advantage in having a good packer
>>
>>565157
also if you 1 button unwraps like a savage (on complex models) you deserve to have shit UV's. if you unwrap 1 island at a time you won't to tinker with your map so much
>>
>>565138
Worse is reviit. Model randomly corrupted and whenever i made stairs it would crash. Which is great when you needed to submit plans at 5pm.
>>
>>565138
update your software
>>
>>565149
>>>565136
>Unity offers more programming flexibility for slightly lower graphical quality
What do you mean by that? How can graphic quality be lower if its a game engine; does Unity and UE use unique renderers?

And whats archviz? I just googled it, and havent found a straight answer; is it a meme word for modelling+rendering?
>>
>>564770
max for archviz, maya for games/film
>>
>>565078

It sometimes also means that you're an animator that gets handed rigged assets with meshes that need work, because your modeller is a fucking imbecile, but management doesn't believe you because he 'finishes' his work so fast.

In the world of actual employment as a 3d artist, especially in a mid-sized studio (without a guy checking over work between most steps in the process), the management are people with business degrees who don't know shit about 3d, so its the person that finds the problems they see as the problem. It's easier to just fix something myself, most of the time, than to bother with passing an asset back.

>>565061

There are programs that allow you to work on a mesh without it breaking the rig. MODO, for instance.
>>
>>565186
Architects use 3d modelling to portray their designs for clients and marketing use. Google any property development company and you will see renders of stuff for future projects, thats an example of archviz

Workflow at my company is

plans in cad, put into sketchup for better visualization, very good for showing quick updates to client, port into another software for renders. But, we don't use max anymore. We used to for still shots but now we do it all realtime so using UE4 and Unity for the VR.
>>
>>565195
Your post is the exact replica of the archviz article i found on the top relevant site in google that was labeled "What is archviz?": its literally nothing.
When its hard for people to provide a simple answer for what something is, that somethimg has probably zero sense to it.
>we model using other modelling software and we render using plugins
>but we're not just modellers
>WE ARCHITECT
>>
>>565154

It sounds to me like you're just here to boast Maya's autopack algorithm and have no interest in actually finding out if Blender's is any good or not. That, and to question people's knowledgeability for the sake of boasting your own skill as a bonus.

If you still want an actual comparison, upload an FBX file somewhere with a model that has UV seams and i'll do a pack-islands on it. I'm genuinely curious as to how it compares to Maya.
>>
>>565182
Newest version, senpai. It also doesn't matter if it is 2017 or 2018.

If it doesn't crash 20 times per day, something is unusual.
>>
>>565198
Dude, it is just "architectural visualization" in short. Renders of interior and exterior shots of buildings. E.g.

http://www.mir.no/work/
>>
>>565202
You said you weren't sure about Blender being inferior on UVs compared to Maya. I don't use Blender so I genuinely asked if you knew what the autopack was like because you stated it was not confirmed for Maya to be superior. I stated facts on Mayas algorithm being better than most autopackers and you come back with retardation on how you don't know and that I should look into it myself if I want to know. I don't give enough of a shit to download Blender and find out, I'm asking you because you're the one who intiated the reply chains going.
Don't get all passive aggressive when you're the one who can't even back up their claims and then tells the person genuinely asking if Blender has a good autopacker to go and check it themselves because you're retarded. Next time just don't say anything if you don't know what you're talking about. I don't even fucking use Maya for anything but animating and UV packing. I use 3DS Max for everything else.

Stop being a passive aggressive faggot.
>>
>>565210

So let me get this reply chain straight - you're asking what Blender's autopack is like but don't actually want to know. When presented with a description you just start talking about how all the other autopacks you've seen are shit and that Maya's is pretty great. I say that i can't compare the two because i haven't tried Maya's. You proceed to call me a faggot for not knowing shit. I propose to do a test for you on a model of your choice in order to get an impartial result. You say you're not interested and/or too lazy to find out for yourself. You proceed to call me a faggot again.
>>
>>565210
>>565214
whats funny is that island margin is not that important. whats important is is islands who don't flip or become super dense. which i believe most modeling software are equipped with tools to handle it
>>
>>564770

I spent 8 years using Maya, then February 2016 I took the plunge and gave Max a shot - I am actually angry at myself for having wasted as long as I did in the buggy, grey, opaque fuck-dungeon that is Maya.

Max is 100000% more stable and predictable. It has a much, MUCH bigger community of script/plugin authors. It is so, so, so much better in *almost* every respect....

The ONE and ONLY thing I miss about Maya is the viewport navigation modes and controls. Holy fuck my ass does the Max orbit tool SUCK compared to Maya. Jesus what I wouldn't give for a way to 100% replace the Max viewport engine with Maya's.

Apart from that - it's no question: Max. It's so much easier, more stable and friendly. Fuck Maya.

Again - 8 years experience with Maya here. I'd never touch it again if I had the choice.
>>
>>565222
I can only imagine what a shitshow Maya is if you call Max stable.
>>
>>565214
I asked what blenders autopack was like because I thought you knew about it. You proceed to say you don't know what it's like and give me a list of settings that every 3d package software has and is common knowledge. You don't understand the original question which was how well the autopacker commits to used space. 90% UV packs with 4-16 pixel width depending on your uv map is very good and works well.

I only asked you these questions because you stated to begin with that you didn't know whether Blender is worse at UVs or not and I assumed you knew what you were talking about. But not only did you misrepresent my point being made, you thought I was talking about settings when I was talking about utilized space with margin widths for optimal packing to a AAA standard.

You can do the test, I am not against this. But your passive aggressive attitude was severely offputting and makes you look like a complete faggot. The reason we are having this discussion was because I thought you knew what you were talking about, and genuinely was curious on whether the autopacker was good or not in Blender. If it is, that's great, but if it isn't, then your point about Blender and Mayas UVing packages being the same is incorrect. Do the test, I am genuinely curious on whether or not you get a 90% autopack in 30 seconds. I just do not like passive aggressive retardation.

>>565217
Used UV space is incredibly important for texture resolution. If I set my margins to 16 pixels on a 4k map, it should still use at least 90% of the UV map accounting for the pixel margins. To pretend autopacks using 70% space with these margins is not a big deal is incredibly misguiding.
>>
>>565224

Yeah. It is. This is not a joke.

One time, I tested something in maya, over and over again to prove to myself I wasn't going crazy:

I made a simple NURBS box, and detached one of the surfaces, reattached it, then performed a bevel around the edge of the surface I had just reattached - it gave a different result on the bevel EVERY time I did it.

I performed the steps EXACTLY the same way, every time - even making sure I selected things in exactly the same order. I got a different result every time. That isn't a joke.

Also - the Maya user's daily workflow includes chosing 'delete history' and 'center pivot' about a million times a day. I see Maya users just hitting the 'delete history' button like pigeons in a skinner box every 2 minutes because they are just so fucking scared that out of nowhere their mesh is just gonna break.

It's horrible. It's just fucking horrible. I actually feel ill thinking about it sometimes.
>>
>>565222
nice trips and I agree.
I have heard mayafaggs plebbing about it that it is good and there are things you need to "work around" to make it not crash and its still "industry standard for a reason" and that it is a beginner problem. ( obviously not because you have 8 years in it )
>>
>>565230
It is industry standard, just like many Autodesk programs (minus Mudbox). I do however agree Maya has really grating problems like the one anon is saying.
>>
>>565232
yeah , I know.But its industry standard because its had been there for decades, and not because its good what implies when you hear that.
>>
>>565233
Well it does some things extremely well, just like many packages often excel in one area more than others. You're right, it's been here for a long time but 3DS used to be the main standard used until 2014. Both are still highly used, but your only other options (not including sculpting software and programs like Moi and Fusion), are Modo, Blender, and Houdini. I'm sure there could be a couple more but ultimately these are your alternatives when not wanting to use Maya or Max.
>>
>>564770

>>Why use one over an other ?

It comes down to two things, essentially:

1. Personal preference. No explanation needed. Student / demo versions of both are freely available - you have no excuse to not try both. You absolutely should do this.

2. What you're working on and who you're working for. Generally a studio of any kind (movie / games / product / archviz) will have one or the other and they will keep to it as much as possible. If you're a Maya user and you go to work at place with a Max culture - you will not be allowed to just go ahead with Maya. That just will not happen. For this reason, again, you really need experience with both.

>> why does it matter ?

desu it's beginning to matter less and less. Max and Maya play with each other much nicer these days than they used to.
But one simple reality is that there is a LOT more 3rd party scripts / plugs / communities / tutorials / support for Max than there is Maya:
If a company is developing a new renderer or plugin of some kind - it WILL be available for Max. It MIGHT be available for Maya. That's just the truth.
Also - in Max, you can just go right ahead and import CAD drawings straight from AutoCAD and work with them with no fucking around. You can't do that in Maya - that right there is a deal breaker for a lot of people.

>>>What would you use if you wanted to model time efficient and easy , are ther more / better tuts available ?

Max. Hands down. There's just no other way of putting it. Max kicks the shit out of Maya for modelling.
>>
>>565235
as I said before, Im gonna use Max
Besides
Lets say in about 5 years I wasted thousands of hours in Max, and am a fairly good producer in a Specialised area, where do I find good jobs around the world ? What are countries that promise a good 3D Industry .?
Germany takes 60% of taxes, and just hast any related Industry. The companies that are here have very unprofessional workers (in my sight), except those who are internationally active.
And most of the degrees in 3D are also in english.
Which are good countries to work in that pay off ?
>>
>>565236
thanks for the information.
More reasons to use Max.
also , anything about this ? >>565238
>>
>>565238
Hey, I use Max mostly too. I am just saying Maya is still an industry standard and should be considered as such until Modo goes full crazy and they put in features no artist could resist.
>>
>>565198
anon its a simple explanation because its all thats fucking needed

architects design buildings
architect needs to show client said buildings
architect either models themselves/outsources/someone else in company models the design
make it look super pretty and gucci
show to client
client is dumb and impressed by flashy lights

viola, archviz

fucking idiot
>>
>>565235

>>Well it does some things extremely well

8 year Maya guy again here:

I am genuinely struggling to think of a single thing Maya does better than Max. This is honest to god all I can come up with:

1. Viewport navigation as I've said before is so much nicer. This, however, is not a function so....

2. I seem to remember the UV tools being a bit more straightforward in Maya, but I get by with Max UV tools ok - but generally I use 3D Coat for UV layout now.

3. Maya seems to allow you to work with normals a lot more. There's nothing like the 'unlock normals' function as far as I know in Max which is a problem occasionally, and yes, I will hit 'send to Maya' on occasion purely to unlock the normals. Sadly.

That is honestly, everything I can think of. Absolutely no loyalty to one thing over another here. I use what works. I don't get caught up in 'console wars' and I certainly don't get caught up in 'polygon editing suite wars'.
Max in my experience is just better in 99.9% of all tasks I have for it.
>>
Just lost my progress again. :) Feels good to work with Max.

But oh, no biggie, it happens every hour or so. I'm used to it. I still have to practice CTRL+S literally after every action.
>>
>>565244
Trust me, I use Max more than Maya. But I animate in Maya and it feels a lot easier as well as when you have better rig options alongside it. Like you said, it could break through history but rigging/animating in Maya just feels easier to me.
>>
>>565245

1. If you're in Max - congratulations fuckhead, there's this little thing in your project folder called 'Autobackups' - go have a look in there - you won't believe what you'll find...

2. If you're in Maya - congratulations fuckhead, there's a little feature in the preferences you can enable called 'autobackup'. Again - you will not BELIEVE what this feature does.

3. If you are routinely losing progress, trust me - - it's not the software, it's you.
>>
>>565246

Yeah I'm not an animator. I briefly considered it and then I thought, 'no, I'd quite like to get married some day and not have a vitamin D deficiency and be able to speak to normal people without them thinking I am the kind of person who just narrowly avoided becoming a school-shooter when he was a kid.'

So, yeah - I hear that Maya is a lot better for motion. Never tested it though.
>>
>>565250
Rude. No but in all seriousness I do agree Maya has some serious issues, I just like its animation package much more. Have a nice day.
>>
>>565252

>>Rude.

Ah... you realize this is not the HighEnd3D forums right?
>>
>>565254

Oh wait - I forgot. You're an animator. I apologize - I thought I was talking to a human.
>>
>>565254
>not understanding sarcasm and getting baited
Sounds to me like you're not very intelligent anon.
>>
>>565256

>>not understanding when someone is continuing the joke.

No further comment required.
>>
>>565258
>trying to save face
It's devolved into shitposting now so I'll stop. :^)
>>
>>565227

I wasn't trying to be passive-aggressive here, i'm trying to explain that the output is going to vary a lot depending on multiple factors like the model's island proportion and settings used. It's not as clear-cut as "X vs.Y has a better algorithm because of coverage" - if you have your UVs split into many tiny islands, you'll have a better chance at covering nearly 100% of the texture space no matter which algorithm you use compared to a model with only 2-3 large islands. Or say if you have O-shaped islands should you fill that space inside the O for the sake of coverage if it means shrinking another island and thus reducing detail in that area?

That's why i proposed to do a test on the same model - to see how both algorithms perform under the same conditions.
>>
>>565249
No, I lost maybe a couple of changes to lights which I didn't save. The point is that Max is constantly crashing for me. I know about autobackups.
>>
>>565259

>>I'll stop

Making a post to tell people that you're not going to make any more posts is the saddest of all tragedies.
>>
>>565261

>>Max is constantly crashing for me

Then you're doing something wrong.
>>
File: tenor.gif (755KB, 420x314px) Image search: [Google]
tenor.gif
755KB, 420x314px
>>
>>565241
Dumbass. Should I give you a dozen of posts, you wont be able to provide this "simple explanation" on what archviz is. You probably one of these people, who, when asked a direct question what something IS, reply with "Its when...".
No mater, I got my answer for this meme.
>>
>>565266
>change the size of a sun
>crash
>I'm doing something wrong

>reposition a sofa
>crash
>I'm definitely doing something wrong

>change brightness of an HDRI
>crash
>yeah, I should just quit

It just crashes no matter what. I don't have a shitty PC either. Everything is updated, too.

Why is Blender never crashing on me, then?
>>
>>565271
Hey, I explained it here, maybe you missed it.
>>565209
>>
>>564770
If it's either Max or Maya then definitely Maya

Max is simply unstable and hasn't gotten any meaningful updates in a very long time
Maya on the other hand tends to get useful improvements every year and doesn't crash randomly
>>
>>565272

There's really no other way of putting this; if Max really *is* crashing when you do those things - there is something drastically wrong in your scene which you need to fix.

Do you actually think that's how the software functions? Like the Max team tests the final alpha before release and it crashes on every single minor function and they're just like 'yep - we're good to go here.'?

Do you actually think that it's right that the software crashes when you move a simple mesh around the scene and that there's nothing you can do? Really?
>>
>>565273
Yes, Ive read it. Thx.
>>
>>565249
>max crashes
>"eh, I'll just use the auto-backup from a few minutes ago"
>it's corrupted
>all 5 are corrupted
>last manual save is also corrupted
Thanks, Autodesk support
>>
File: fuck.jpg (126KB, 780x399px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
126KB, 780x399px
>>565272
It literally did it again as we speak!

Fucking hell.

>>565275
It's not just with one scene. Of course it shouldn't be happening, but that's what is happening to me and I don't know what to do. I can't work like this anymore, I'm constantly wasting my time. This was the same scene which never crashed in different software before. And it's as basic as it gets.

Now I tried to isolate some objects and boom - loading icon and soon enough this message.
>>
>>565274

You know one of the major reasons for Maya getting more updates (like, for example getting 4k display GUI before Max)?

>>>Pic related.

Yup - Maya is used by Mac users too. Just sayin....
>>
>>565260
I know exactly what you're talking about and I'm saying that the algorithm to make sure you get a 90% pack works in Maya. What I do not know is if Blender has the same ones, as autopacking is actually quite lacking in most other packages.

It is purely an X and Y scenario of who is better as we are already taking in all the variables of O spaces and complexity of islands. Like I said before, with complex uv islands you can still get a 90% pack with Maya. We are now back to the original assertation of whether Blender can achieve the same thing with their algorithms. For clarification I have been following autopacking for a long time as I always hated packing UVs, but the software/plugins just weren't good enough. Once Maya implemented theirs I was able to get great packs with little fiddling.

The bottom line of our discussion is this, does Blender have a good autopacker? I would be interested to see what results you get from it.
>>
>>565277

>> My files and archive files are routinely corrupting.

>> Must be someone else's fault.

Fucking millennials.
>>
>>565278

There's clearly something wrong then, and you need to address it. I see you're using Vray. Disable that and try working with the scene again. Y'know - that kind of stuff.

Also, run a garbage collection routine before restart. Just enter:

gc()

in the Maxscript window and restart. This can sometimes cure a lot of shit.
>>
>>565227
Since the other Anon is unable or unwilling to give you an straight answer i will.

Blenders Pack algorithm is usable but not as good as the Unfold 3d algorithm. It cannot scale island to distribute an even texel resolution, it fails to work with holes and overlaps.
>>
>>565278

Is this happening when you go to open the UV editor on an Unwrap UVW modifier? That was happening every time to me a little while ago - can't remember what I did to fix it.
>>
>>565282
I did some system stability tests afterwards
It was definitely the fault of 3ds Max
>>
>>565287

Disable 'compress on save' then - there's less opportunity for fuck ups to happen when it's not compressing the scene files.
>>
>>565284
I'll try that, thanks. And actually, you almost got me at Vray, but then I remembered that it crashes just as often when I'm using 2018 version with Arnold. Fuck, I don't know. It's a student version, fully updated and all. Pisses me off.

>>565286
I don't remember if it happened while doing that, in my case, it happens whenever.
>>
>>565288
I don't think that even was an option when I used Max a few years ago
Either way Max is not reliable
>>
>>565289

Are you working with objects that have mile-high modifier stacks? That'll do it too. You need to collapse that shit every so often.
>>
>>565285
Thank you for this information.
>>
File: ohshitwhat.jpg (100KB, 615x339px) Image search: [Google]
ohshitwhat.jpg
100KB, 615x339px
>>565291
I don't usually have many modifier stacks open (still a beginner), but I do collapse them if I do.

Btw, tried opening it in 2018 version with Arnold one more time and...
>pic related

Ok, something is NOT right here at all. I mean, you see I'm not overacting, I literally spent 2 hours trying to work on my lighting and it constantly crashes. I'll just switch to Blender I swear.
>>
>>565296
how many fucking lights have you got in that scene?
>>
>>565299
Vray sun and an hdri.
>>
>>565299

Also - How are you opening up a scene which presumably has Vray lights in it, in a version of Max which apparently doesn't have Vray installed?

You're either using Vray lights and materials, or you're using Arnold lights and materials. Not both.
>>
>>565301
I'm not that nooby, when I imported the scene, I replaced both. It's working fine now, I'm telling you, it never crashes for a specific reason. It seems completely random, that's the problem. I'll be working normally on this now, and I'll get a crash again sooner or later, that's why I'm saving after every move.
>>
>>565302

It's Vray. I guarantee it's Vray. You're using a shitty crack from kickass or something.
>>
>>565305
Yeah, I thought about that, but the same thing happens when I'm using 2018 version with Arnold and I don't have Vray on it. The crack actually is shitty and RT doesn't work properly, so I might replace it anyway, but I don't know if that could be the reason. It's worth trying, though.
>>
>>565307

or you're using another plugin like forest pack that depends on the correct version of vray and max.
>>
Blender > all
>>
>>565327
here comes the village idiot.
I break it down for you imbecile:

VFX and simulations - Houdini >all
With Character animations its Maya >all
Rendering shiny balls and motion-graphics its Cinema 4d > rest
Pure Modelling: Max n Modo vs the rest. (dead software doesn't count...RIP XSI)
Sculpting - yeah you guessed right: Z-brush
Rendering insane amounts of polys: Clarisse with Katana take the cake (and eat it too)

Lowest cost for Software: Blender cause its free. UNLESS you fly a black flag and don't give a shit.

So, as you see Blender dominates one discipline, but also not really.

Now, how anyone with at least some knowledge of the topic might come to the conclusion that Blender is better than than the rest does not compute for me.
Ergo you must be an idiot.
>>
>>565286
I think they fucked up the UV editor recently. I'm constantly having my UV's reset or the program crashes outright.

It's weird, I'll tweak some UV's, and do something trivial like SAVE THEM TO FILE, then the second the file dialog is gone and the file saved, my UV's are miraculously reset to their default state.
>>
File: autopack.png (38KB, 568x957px) Image search: [Google]
autopack.png
38KB, 568x957px
>>565281

OK great, here's an example using a random blender model. You really ought to say what kind of model you'd want to see packed though.
>>
>>565334
Do you have assets with curves, holes, and more than 50+ uv islands? Would probably be useful.
>>
File: autopack2.png (338KB, 1196x982px) Image search: [Google]
autopack2.png
338KB, 1196x982px
>>565335

I have this one with a ridiculous amount of islands but it's probably a badly done unwrap to begin with.
>>
>>565334
>>565337
those aren't good results, im using blender too
>>
>>565337
That's horrifying, but you also have a horrifying amount of boxes on one mesh.

In any sort of realistic work environment this would be broken up into several modular parts, or use tileable textures almost entirely.
>>
>>565353
>>565354

Well that's some great jibba jabba on how things are supposed to be, but so far nobody has come forth with a good test asset. I don't have any models with 50+ islands, only that crap.
>>
File: sword.png (236KB, 1519x859px) Image search: [Google]
sword.png
236KB, 1519x859px
>>565355
i unwrapped an old model that had shit UV's
this one wasn't easy because i had to unwrap every island separate. took me about 10-15 minutes to re-arrange.
this wasn't good to begin with, i should have made a lower poly mesh
>>
>>565358
I see a lot of things that could be straightened.

Well, almost literally everything could be straightened, which would make your packing a lot better.
>>
>>565358
>gives 0 pixel density in some areas with others overlapping
Interdasting.
>>
>>565373
muh efficiency doesn't matter. even if you could utilize a 100% it wouldn't be visible from lets say 90%.
whats important is which island needs the most resolution. this is why game devs used to give the face a separate UV map
>>
>>565374
Your pixel margins definitely matter if you're baking shit you silly cretin I forgot I'm on /3/ though so everyone just makes lowpoly retard shit. :^)
>>
>>565376
it matters if your edges don't use padding, which i highly recommend you do unless you want seams everywhere
>>
>>565377
You're being dumb if you think 0% pixels inbetween UV islands will be helpful with padding on a bake. Your padding won't do shit.. Stop responding.
>>
>>565377
IF your islands are overlapping or don't have pixels inbetween relative to your texture map size your padding is literally worthless.
>>
>>565379
that's not what i said
>>565380
i agree
>>
>>565383
Then don't respond with what you responded with as it was a non sequitur. Your pixel margins = UV space between the islands. You're not very bright, are you?
>>
>>565389
well you really gotta bake and paint before you realize why you need this sort of spacing.
the reason this whole argument started is because a guy who chimped about perfect margins
>>
>>565389
>Your pixel margins = UV space between the islands. You're not very bright, are you?
that's a nice fact, how does that help your argument?
>>
File: niggercopter.webm (2MB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
niggercopter.webm
2MB, 640x640px
>>565393
>>565391
>>565389
>>565383
>>565380
>>
Has anybody tried Cycles in 3ds max or maya? Does it work good?

>inb4 why would you do that
I don't know, I enjoy that renderer, it is easy to use and produces nice results.
>>
>>565406
well it depends.
generally i don't like using cycles things like interiors because of the noise, and because interior need alot of light then its gonna be a problem.
but it is very good for showcasing materials or for products. mostly because the shaders are basic and easy to make
>>
Anyone knows good countries where a stable3D industry exists ? If in America please tell area.
Hear ukraine should be good beause low taxes etc
Definetly not Germany , only for studying.
>>
>>565393
>posts about padding when someone points out 0 pixel width between islands
Stop. You're retarded. Padding does nothing when you have no pixel width.
>>565391
This should be obvious but the guy is defending 0 pixel margins for baking like a retard. If he would have just said it's only a low poly then there would be nothing to point out to him, but he keeps defending his shitty uv pack as if its somehow alright to have overlapping for baking.
>>
>>565414
Also to add onto this, you can have overlap for baking but not in this anons case as he's not using symmetry overlap, nor is he purposely having a UV inside another UV to take advantage of an overlap on bake. He just messed up his UVs and defended them. Just wanted to clear that up before people go retarded.
>>
>>565412
bay area, los angeles,new york, montreal,seattle,austin TX
>>
>>565358
>average blender uv map
>>
>>565429
>average /3/ user
>>
>>565453
>the average /3/ user is a blender user
No wonder most shit sucks a bag of dicks here.
>>
>>565458
Tools don't matter if you know what you are doing.
>>
>>565459
I agree with this, as it's ultimately the artist who dictates what is good or not, but the Blender community is objectively less skilled than for example, autodesk users. There are a multitude of reasons on why this is, but it is a fact. Of course there are shit autodesk users but par for the course, the autodesk community is more professional, and has better artists using its products.
>>
>>565462
3DS and maya are the only programs that are being taught professionally in college. so its pretty obvious you gonna have higher number of good artists with those programs.
but now with the online school thing you can learn any program you want
>>
Where can I find add-ons for 3ds Max? Blender has tons of free stuff and that's why I like working with it. I spent a week trying to figure out how to make a good grass with Max and there are no good tutorials for it.

Maybe I didn't hear about it, but it seems to me that with Blender I can do anything, while with Max I either have to pay huge amounts of money for every little thing, or pirate a shitton of plugins.
>>
>>565458
You got it wrong: they suck a bag of dicks anyway. Giving them Maya or Max is pearls before swines....
>>565459
A good artist can make great art with bad tools, a bad artist is fucked even with the best tools.
>>565462
>multitude of reasons
No its just one reason: investment.
If people had to put 4000$ on the table before they could call themselves "3d artist" like in old times, there would be less of them and they would put more effort into it.
>>
>>565472
>more professionals teaching you professional workflows and techniques
>majority hold on the software used in the industry and as such is the industry standard
>more professional plugins and renderer options to accustom the artist
>millions of dollars pumped in every year to develop new technology to help the artist compared to the developers of blender with free and open source
These are just off the top of my head in ten seconds. There are a ton of reasons, but I do agree that investments in something make you want to stick around. But just so you know, a lot of pirates use autodesk programs and are demigods at creating things even though they paid nothing.
>>
>>565476
>>millions of dollars pumped in every year to develop new technology to help the artist compared to the developers of blender with free and open source

well if they pump millions of dollars every year on a software that is comparable with blender they are doing something wrong.
i can think of a few things where 3DS is better, but its not such an overwhelming advantage that forces you to get it
>>
>>565481
Animating in Maya is superior to Blender bro. Thats the RnD and buyouts of plugins shit going in. Also Maya has a great UV packer system, which again, cost money. I'm not saying you will be good if you use an Autodesk program, I am just saying that it helps every bit with an artist to become professional. Again, it's the artist, not the tool, but there are more reasons than just monetary investment on why Autodesk users are more professional on average than Blender users.
>>
>>565484
>but there are more reasons than just monetary investment on why Autodesk users are more professional on average than Blender users.

yes and its mostly because autodesk users are classically trained. there are no blender colleges.
>UV packer system
there it is again
>Thats the RnD and buyouts of plugins shit going in.
ill give you that. but blender add more plugins on every official release
>>
>>565485
So you agree Autodesk is superior, kay.
>>
>>565486
well that's true. but it doesn't mean that blender is a nigger tier software because its free. i personally done almost everything in this program.
you gotta keep in mind that if someone is free then alot of noobs are gonna use it
>>
>>565487
Oh bro, I'm not calling Blender nigger anything. Blender is in my opinion a great free alternative to 3D packages and I understand why a lot of people use it. I was just pointing out why Autodesk had more professional users than other alternatives to someone up above. It is still a really nice alternative and you can create professional art in it - like stated, it's the artist, not the tool.
>>
>>565186
Uh, yeah, Unity and UE are unique game engines. They render things differently. WTF?

>>565331
100% agree.

>>565337
>>565358
I got cancer from viewing these images.
>>
What are some good UV guides? I don't want to end up as that blender user in this thread.
>>
>>565485
>tfw I have 3d classes but no mentors and shitty education so I have to learn everything by myself and juggle between Max and Blender because of that.
>>
>>565544
oh comeone give it a break.
just because the map is aesthetically unappealing doesn't mean its technically useless.
you guys really amaze me with your nitpicky turbo autism
>>
>>565547
I just want to learn how to do it good. I haven't gotten to UV's yet.
>>
>>565553
there are tons of youtube videos
>>
>>565553
read the sticky fag
OP here
have already given up on my thread
>>
>>565569
No, sticky is shit. Check out the UV tutorials section. First link is now just a portfolio of some guy, some links don't work anymore, some just bring you to texture libraries. And even if the links work, tutorials are trash and everything is old as fuck.
>>
>>565503
>he thinks game engine and renderer is the same thing
cute
>>
>>565574
implies that it aint, but it can both be used for rendering
>>
>>565574
The chance that two game engines happen to implement the exact same lighting / rendering / FX / compression pipelines is essentially nil. Get a team sitting down to write some GLSL that implements PBR. What are the chances you precisely replicate the shaders another team has written? So the fact that two different teams are writing the engine basically guarantees there are differences in the rendering.

Unless you're an autistic nerd who is obsessed with technicalities instead of the way things work in real life.
>>
I don't know how to continue

I don't know which programm to use ( Mainly interested in modeling, not at all in animation)
Now when I mention I want to model mainly I will have 10 people telling me to use 3DS Max and another 10 telling me Max is a production meme and I should be using Blender.

Now, I've started with blender around 2 weeks ago and just messed around with a bunch of tutorials. But I feel like most of them is just paint by numbers and if I start something on my own I don't really know what to do.

Can someone point me to some good resources on proper workflow, modeling and texturing?
Doesn't matter if its free or not i'll just torrent if its not
>>
>>565599
Blender users are extremely angry that people consider the software meme status. Autodesk is industry standard still and will continue to be so until Blender is just better (which it won't be for a while). However, use the toolsets you feel work for you - so if that means Blender feels better for you than 3DS Maxs collapsible stacks then use it. Just try them all out as Autodesk has student versions for almost everything, and see if you like Blender, Autodesk, Modo, or etc better than the others.

You do you boo.
>>
>>565608
>Blender users are extremely angry that people consider the software meme status. Autodesk is industry standard still and will continue to be so until Blender is just better

haha what the fuck are you talking about.
have you even looked into peoples portfolios or you just assume every blender user just renders the default monkey
>>
>>565608
this is just a silly rivalry as autodesk users never tried blender and blender users never tried autodesk.
>>
>>565628
Maya user who has used Blender. Blender is great for its stability. Miles behind for rigging and animation.
>>
>>565647
I certainly can't wait to see this movie made in Blender (if they make a full-length one).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN0zPOpADL4
>>
I don't really know why I'm liking Blender so much after trying it as a Max user, but I think it's about to do with a great and helpful community and the fact that it was the first 3D program I opened as a kid when I wanted to learn all of this (quit practically instantly because of lack of time and there were no so much tutorials at the time). I just feel so euphoric about everything related to it, can't explain it. It's amazing how much it has advanced since the last time I opened it.

Max just feels oldschool and corporate to me, like a Pro Tools of DAWs or whatever, but it is also a pretty comfy software.

That being said, I like both, and got the hang of them fairly quickly. I'm still a beginner but from what I've been doing and seeing, the workflows are so similar that it almost doesn't matter which one I use. And it is actually helpful to see how other programs do the same thing, makes me understand the process better.
>>
>>565628
I used Blender first, and then eventually moved to 3DS and Maya about two years from Blender. I will never ever go back to Blender. It's personal preference of course but don't pretend as if your statement is anything but a false viewpoint.

>>565621
I never stated Blender was a meme status you retard. I stated people thought about it that way because of its past history and userbase. You can create professional art in Blender but don't pretend Autodesk doesn't have a more professional community, with Blender actually having a more autistic one. Stay angry.
>>
>>565680
>but don't pretend as if your statement is anything but a false viewpoint.

im pretty sure its not.
most people that do the switch used blender very shortly out of what i call "bad experience". and you have the second group which is animators who had to switch and rightfully so, but im also starting to wonder if they are full of shit.
and i don't care which userbase is more autistic, far as i see it the entire 3D community as a whole is autistic
>>
>>565648
This is well done and enjoyable animation animation but definitely has that "made in Blender" look to it. One limb moving at a time, minimal background movement, subtle timing issues (especially the lip sync)
>>
>>565697
>"made in Blender" look
Really? THAT is your criticism?
These are things determined by the software and not by the artists?

Are you fucking stupid?
>>
>>565697
agree
Implying that theres always a dfferent look for every program and it is real.
>>
>>565715
I think he's talking about the skill level of the user.
>>
>>565730
the environment art looks better than any pixar/disney movie so i think it can compensate.
but autoshits gotta make that intellectual distinction
>>
>>565733
So you agree he was pointing out the skill level of the user and the meme about Blender users being "shit"? Kay.
>>
>>565734
i don't have to agree on anything, im just saying it has weak areas and strong areas and the strong areas defiantly compensate for the weak ones
>>
>he used free software instead of torrenting Maya, what a pleb

Is it me or do Autodesk users always like pretending they're bigshot professionals whenever Blender is being discussed?
>>
>>565736
So you agree. Kay.
>>
>>565738
Both sides have autistic individuals in their communities. Blender just has more as a whole. However, since we're on 4chan, the autism ramps up in any community by at least 500%.
>>
>>565783
well you don't get to decide who is agreeing with you.
im sorry if that's how you think
>>
>>565094
>modeling in max
>worse than blender
I hate 3ds max and this is just dumb. Literally take 30 minutes to bind some custom hotkeys and you're cruising with maximum control over every thing.
>>
>>565795
Considering you agreed he was talking about the skill level of the user and not the program itself and then stomp your feet and whine that you didn't agree to what he said even though you did: you can stop embarrassing yourself now, mmkay?
>>
Funny how companies are figuring out that they dont have to give autodesk huge piles of money and keep them for themselves while delivering a product.
Turns out good artist can deliver even in inferior software like blender.
>>
>>565858
no i made a point about something and he forced me to agree on something. you might say i was wrong to be agitated by it but this is not how you engage people either
>>
>>565860
the animatons are not quite as polished like a disney movie but the environment art is fucking sick, you can't deny it.
like i said there is always a tradeoff whenever its animation or anything else. but i don't think you really making a tradeoff with animation when using blender. since animation tools are so deep its most likely most people never explored them in the first place
>>
>>565860
wait are you telling me that this is made by 1 person?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeObbrfCSUY

>1:10

Does 3ds max have this or do I have to pirate yet another program to be able to achieve something (zbrush)?
>>
>>565869
there are few ways to make ice, what he is talking about is ice shader in particular. it doesn't really matter what program you are using.
i suggest to get gleb's tutorials even tho most of them are on gumroad
>>
>>565871
I'm talking about those sculpting tools he uses, I didn't see them in Max. So does it mean if I want to sculpt something I have to pirate a Zbrush?
>>
>>565872
>stop being a leech
>git a job
>dont pirate
>B U Y
>>
>>565872
im pretty sure max can sculpt?
if not get sculptis, you don't need zbrush for something simple as rocks
>>
>>565873
Blender it is, then. Thanks.
>>
>>565874
Thanks, didn't hear about that one, I might check it out.
>>
>>565862
>"made in Blender" look
>These are things determined by the software and not by the artists?
Those are your quotes bro, and as such they agree with the guy who was talking about the artists failures, not the program itself. Considering everything he was saying deals with the artist and obviously not the program, you probably lack reading comprehension and jumped to conclusions because of "reasons". You literally agreed with him and then you proceed to denounce any agreement you had because he hurt your feefees.
>>
>>565902
yes i did agree with him at by replying to his answer but then he wanted to confirm that i agree with him by asking me if i agree with him which was weird, if you reckon that someone agrees with you, why would you need conformation?
>>
>>565902
>>565903

and those aren't my quotes.
i did reply to the guy who made them however.
>>
>>565903
I think he was being condescending or smug. However you still can't say you disagreed when you agreed my friend.
>>
>>565932
that's the point. if he was making a snarky ass comment, then why you feel like you have to step up for him? just leave it alone and let this thread die.
you just wasted like 8 replies back and forth because you sensed that i disagreed with you or something, go work on your confidence
>>
>>565971
So you get super butthurt and argumentive over someone being smug and condescending because you can't tolerate your feelings being hurt? That's hilarious. The fact that you think "wasting eight" replies doesn't include you for getting absolutely rekt is also hilarious because it shows you have no self awareness. You agreed with him and then you only rescind your agreement because he made you angry, and then you pretend you are innocent in shitposting because someone made fun of you.
How about instead, just ignore the trollers and stop replying like a good little boy? I know you won't though so I'll stop replying for you because I know you can't resist responding because your integrity lies within 4chans reply chains. Have fun mate, you brightened my morning.
>>
>>565979
you are really fucking anal about something so small. just admit that you wanted to troll and it didn't work.
i already said i don't care about your little shitshow, i agree with people when i can, when i want. and you can fuck off
>>
>>565086
You shouldn't be using Max and Maya for VFX anyway.
>>
Can somebody explain why do some people say Blender and other 3D programs have so much different workflows? As a beginner (basic modeling, unwraping and texturing, lighting, rendering) I can't see much difference. I'm doing the same thing in both programs, I just prefer Blender for some of them and Max for the others.

I also don't get it that "if you start with Blender, you will have trouble getting used to other programs". Am I a genius or what, but I got comfortable in both in a few days and they operate the same. Wtf?
>>
>>566015
all programs have the same workflow
>"if you start with Blender, you will have trouble getting used to other programs".
yeah because people are used to having keybinds that transfer between all autodesk products so using blender seems cryptic
>>
>>566016
I also use keybinds for everything and I still don't have any problems going between programs, huh... Thanks.
>>
>>565981
It appears you played right into his trap.
>>
>>566017
When there is something standardized and people start with it, seeing something work out of the norm is uncomfortable for humans in general. You're not special, you just started with Blender first and as such you are still a beginner and have not devoted enough time to actually achieve expertise in any program. An Autodesk user who has mastered a good chunk of say Maya for years if not over a decade will say that Blenders workflow is retarded and its ui system is whack. A good example of the abnormal being uncomfortable for people is zBrush. It's a great program but has a UI system which feels clunky and cluttered to those who are not used to it.

It's ultimately the artist, not the tool, but a more or less standardized way of how things are done makes it easier to achieve results. If you are doing good in Blender continue to do so because it's perfectly plausible to become a professional using Blender. I just hope you can understand why many people and professionals consider Blender not worth the time and advocate for things like Autodesk programs.
>>
File: cb0.png (501KB, 680x532px) Image search: [Google]
cb0.png
501KB, 680x532px
>>566019
i tried to find the right image but this one seems to do the job, describes this place perfectly
>>
>>566020
I started with Max, but yeah, I've been using it for around a month and a half and then gave Blender a try, so it's still easy to switch between them.
>>
>>566025
I'm talking years of experience in the program and not using the other except for perhaps a month or two. Just keep doing you, you'll get there.
>>
>>566025
>>566017
you wanna find a distinct difference?
well lets start with the fact that blender have no smoothing groups. you can change the smoothness of 1 object but you can't set it to individual polygroups, hence no smoothing groups.
secondly, baking is like a weird ritual in blender. you can't just assign an empty texture to an object and bake. you also need to select it in edit mode because blender needs to have it "on" the model. which is stupid. why would you need to apply a texture 2 times in 2 different ways?
another difference is material mode and texture mode both serve the same purpose but texture mode only displays textures and not materials which is stupid because in material mode you can simply mark your material as shadeless and it won't have any shading.
>>
>>566027
No smoothing groups: You can set edges to sharp, essentially doing the same thing.

Baking: yeah that works a bit odd in Blender internal. In Cycles you just put in a texture node not connected to anything, select the image, and bake away.

Material-texture mode / shadeless: Have fun setting all your materials to shadeless just for checking the textures without shading, and then switching back all of them. And in Cycles making stuff shadeless is even more convoluted.
>>
>>566029
>Have fun setting all your materials to shadeless just for checking the textures without shading

its not like you work with 50 materials in internal, unless you are dumb

>select the image, and bake away.
that's better but its still odd. it would be better if we have a bake node

>You can set edges to sharp, essentially doing the same thing.
only if you select the autosmooth in the object data, and its not the same thing because you can't set angel based shading to individual elements
>>
>>564771
max - visuals
maya - game dev
thats what ive heared
>>
>>565208
2018 crashes more often, cuz they didnt update it yet, preferably use 17
>>
File: 1.png (208KB, 1365x851px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
208KB, 1365x851px
You guys are parroting nonsene.
Literally post by false information like you haven't used both blender and max long enough.

No smoothing groups?
How about pic related?
>>
>>566176
that's not it.
smooth shading also have numerical value that you can tweak
>>
File: 2.png (68KB, 866x335px) Image search: [Google]
2.png
68KB, 866x335px
>>566178
You mean this?
>>
>>566180
i watched over 100 tutorials and this shit was never mentioned
by the way i watched a 3ds max tutorial about making an axe or something. the smoothing groups was laid out in more understandable way.
>>
>>566187
I dont want to get personal but you lack basic understanding of the tools you are using.
Vertices are vertices be that in 3DS or Blender.
Now if you please there are at least few other misinformation in the thread and I would advise everyone to stop posting and spreading false information.
Unless that is your goal and want to cripple your competition to which I have nothing to add.
Thats all from me,take care guys.
>>
>>566188
im not the only one who dosen't know this. i made a thread about it several times in blenderartists.net too.
and don't get all etlist on me. just because you know something obscure as this doesn't mean you are a good technical artist
>>
File: 2017-05-27-1921-43.webm (2MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-27-1921-43.webm
2MB, 720x404px
God tier chamfer itt
>>
>>566188
I agree with this one. Guys, at least google before posting here. A lot of things that I also thought Blender doesn't have (or vice versa with Max), were in fact there the whole time, but instead of shitposting in one of these threads, I checked my facts first and realized I'm wrong.
>>
>>566188
>>566226
Not that guy but there is a difference between misinformation being purposely spread, and ignorance in if a feature is in or not. Blender used to not have many of these features and as such consequently was labelled as shit for good reason. Don't be paranoid in thinking everyone is out to get Blender, because the truth is most people don't even know these features exist in Blender because of how Blenders past features were quite lacking and did indeed not include things such as smoothing groups.

It's not a purposeful intent to harm Blender, or at least for most posters here, people just did not know these features were implemented.
>>
How hard is it to make a really photorealistic render with Cycles, compared to Vray? Can they produce similar results?
>>
>>566333
that's a good question
i would say you need to render things over and over to have a grasp on lightning and shaders.
but between your popular vray renders to guys like george turmanidze (cycles artist). its really hard to say.
you need to be a very decent generalist either way
>>
>>566335
also read these

http://www.chocofur.com/cycles-in-production.html
https://visperfect.com/en/cycles-vs-vray/
>>
>>566336
>>566335
I'll read those, thanks. I remember this guy, his "Bar in nature" was in one of Andrew's feedback videos.

But here's that thing I'm talking about, there are some nice renders here, but neither one of them looks photorealistic enough for me. Compare them to scenes in this short...

https://vimeo.com/7809605

... which was made with 3ds max + Vray, and it's on another level. I actually see tons of awesome stuff made with Blender every day, but they are often stylized and it seems to me that Blender really has that specific "look" that some anons here were talking about. I don't know what it is, but when I'm looking at archviz scenes specifically, they never feel right, like the materials are always a bit too plasticy, glossy and not physically accurate enough. It sometimes even looks like a miniature (and a lot of renders of that guy you mentioned give away that vibe too, for me).

So I don't know if it has anything to do with Cycles or not. Then again, that's probably the reason why 3ds max is used so much in archviz, maybe blender is just not that good in some areas. I don't know.
>>
>>566338
i know what you mean.
vray have more "clear" kind of look. and the lightning is very conformal and looks to be in place. while cycles is always very saturated, glass usually looks weird. gloss is either too much to too little.
never the less, i have seen plenty of vray renders where the lightning is very flat and the lamps illuminate like 100% of the room which i stumble too often when reading a magazine.

so its both way street. like the articale mentioned, vray does have better caustics and more "master nodes" and cycles is more simplified but does come integrated with great composition tools.
its a tight race, but ill have to give vray the edge.
>>
Can a Patreon 3D artist/animator get away with pirated Autodesk software? I mean, what are the odds.
>>
>>566631
yes if he/she is not totally dumb
There is always the option to use these cracked tools on an offline machine which never connects to the web.
How should Autodesk even know about it.
>>
>>566631
If your final things are only renders its pretty impossible for them to track it back to a pirated autodesk, especially if your putting them through photoshop after for adjustments
>>
Tried Max for a bit and it feels archaic as FUCK.
>>
>>567604
Maya's "everything is a node" philosophy has always seemed super elegant and modern.

Unfortunately the elegant abstraction frequently breaks and makes certain things difficult. Archaic can be OK if it produces results.
>>
>>566631
If you're especially paranoid about this, simply distribute files that have been modified in some other program beforehand, so as >>566655 says open and save the image in MS paint or some other free image tool. I would normally render an uncompressed file and use Photoshop to finalize the image anyway.

If you need to deliver the actual mesh, export in some simple app-agnostic format, and use some sort of third-party tool like a 3D viewer to open and save the mesh, like this for example: http://www.open3mod.com/
Remember to re-open the file in Max again to make sure that your model doesn't get screwed up somewhere in the pipeline.

That said, most people don't care about legitimacy of software unless you're working at a company, because that's where the big money is. If the cost of legal action doesn't exceed the benefits of doing so, no one is going to bother. As long as you don't go doing stupid shit like screenshotting the about page and posting it online, you should be fine.
>>
>>566213
>god tier shitty topology
>>
>>564770
>>
>>564771
every
>>
>>567668
This isn't entirely true. If you are making any money with an Autodesk product they will come after you. Even if you are an individual. Keep in mind Autodesk resellers are rats and will rat you out at the first sign that you may not be paid up.

There are law firms that specialize in defending against and negotiating with Autodesk: https://www.kirkpatricklawpc.com/intellectual-property-law/autodesk-audit/

https://scottandscottllp.com/practice-areas/software-disputes/autodesk-audits/

There's more but you get the idea. Autodesk is a fucking draconian company, I highly recommend you stay away from them at all costs when it comes to your personal business. If you want to learn it so you can get a job, fine, but don't use there shit for your own stuff, especially not paid work you do on your own.
>>
>>569815
true, but the proof is in the pudding.
If you where never a customer of Autodesk they cannot demand an audit.
If you only produce images or models and give them out in obj format, there is no way Autodesk can prove that you used their tools.
Its a perfect plausible deniability.
>>
>>564770
>>
>>564770
Wii
Thread posts: 243
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.