[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For those of you who got a job doing 3D and didn't go to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 1452863837236.jpg (72KB, 447x686px) Image search: [Google]
1452863837236.jpg
72KB, 447x686px
For those of you who got a job doing 3D and didn't go to school, how many hours a day were you learning/practicing after work? How many years did it take you?
>>
>12 hrs / day
>4 years of being neet
wasnt worth it imo, should have gone into STEM
>>
>>562647

about 1 year of hard studying although I can't do many kinds of things so far today like good&proper UV maps or complex animation rigging.
>>
>>562647
art school is a meme. Creativity can't be taught, it can only be created.
>>
>>562650
>neets
>having the motivation to do anything for more than an hour a day
>>562675
What job do you have?
>>
File: 6WyR2sW.gif (2MB, 400x299px) Image search: [Google]
6WyR2sW.gif
2MB, 400x299px
>>562676
>can't be taught
>>
>>562692
General 3D such as advanced jewelry modeling, visualisations, sometimes simple animation and VR.
>>
>>562710
sounds like you're just another wagecuck, doing the same ol shit
>>
>>562647
not much honestly.
spent most my time playing video games and now I have a comfy job in seattle.
>>
Is it all worth it, famalams? I'm going to school where I have some courses in 3D, but honestly, I'm learning by myself anyway, and it is going much faster, so I might as well say that I'm self-taught.

I don't even know where the most jobs are at, but after not dreaming about working in a game industry since I was a kid, now I'm starting to think it would be nice if possible, even though I'm aware that it's mostly a shit industry to get in. I don't know, enlighten me.
>>
>>562814
>I don't even know where the most jobs are at
West Coast America/Canada
>>
>>562822
Oh, I'm in Europe, though. Eastern Europe (yeah, that's probably even worse).
>>
>>562710
what kinda 3D job would make it worth it to you? working on movies?
>>562814
"vfx world map" google that and you can find studios in your area most likely
>>
>>562880
Thanks, just checked the map. Kek, yeah, there is no future in 3D in this country or anywhere around it. And working on shitty kids products' commercials doesn't sound appealing either.
>>
File: mfwyf.png (71KB, 233x204px) Image search: [Google]
mfwyf.png
71KB, 233x204px
>>562826
>Oh, I'm in Europe, though. Eastern Europe (yeah, that's probably even worse).
Could be worse, I'm in Australia.
Basically
>Company is created
>flurry of hiring activity
>oh shit I finally have a career and not a job-
>Project finishes
>Company liquidates
>Founders, CFO, CEO, CTO, and heads of department all walk away with bonuses and a "job well done feeling"
>Refuse to give references because it's not their job, you should have got one during crunch time
>Back to Centrelink (unemployment scheme)
>Now working at Big W 30 hours a week to live while looking for next """career opportunity""" that doesn't pay """in experience XD"""
>>
I know this is art field, but I'm still amazed at the lack of jobs in 3D, considering you can see it everywhere and it can be used in so many industries.
>>
>>563337
you need big amount of capital to start a media company and hire people full time.

and most indie games that are coming have a little bit of store assets, a little bit of free music and a little bit of everything. this is why the majority of them fail
not saying you need to be rich or anything,but people need to stop rushing their games
>>
>>563338
what indie games exactly, all i see is shitty 2d pixel art garbage.
>>
>>563710
there are 3D indie games out there but indie devs are really risk adverse.
there are very few that actually know what the fuck they are doing (in the sense of designing a game and investing in it).

most of the design documents i seen are half-assed. most indie devs i seen don't really have longterm plans for their games and it falls apart in the middle of the development. they also expect people to do favors for them so they can achieve their dreams which is selfish
>>
I'd estimate roughly 1 year of 8 hours/day. I didn't start from nothing (had some very minimal 3D knowledge from two basic uni courses) but progress from being a complete noob to getting decent job offers amounts to around one full year of work.

Watch tutorials from pros when you start, then once you have a feel for a decent workflow join art communities with talented & active members to get feedback.

It is totally doable and imo better than going to art school for 3D (most seem to be crap).
>>
>>563751
>It is totally doable and imo better than going to art school for 3D (most seem to be crap).
This should be some sort of Iron Law of /3/.
School is for networking, refining, using high-tech stuff, and getting your paygrade boosted with a piece of paper.
>>
Tips:
>get on polycount (wiki and 3D folk are friendly and don't hold back on critique)
>get the basics down, and work toward understanding PBR and procedural materials (using substance designer/painter)
>Start posting work on Artstation (if you don't have a website)

I've been to Uni studying Architecture, but quit because it just didn't work.
read up on Architecture more post quitting, worked retail.
Moved to Ireland because of love.
continued working on my 3D work for like 4 years and have just gotten my first gig at an outsourcing studio.

never HAD money, so I'm used to budgeting, but now I can save and take her places ;)

just don't isolate yourself too much, and find a game you love, find others who also love it and that should lead you to a modding team. Join them and make stuff you love, it should result in producing work you're proud of.

HGuy
>>
>>562676
its not about learning creativity, it's about learning how the tools to express that creativity work
like learning 3D programs for exemple
that's like saying we shouldn't teach kinds how to write, because "we can't teach them how to be creative"
fuck outta here with that dumbass reasonning
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.