[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should a person bother with 3D if they are not artistic or creative?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 1467001568147.jpg (182KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1467001568147.jpg
182KB, 1024x1024px
Should a person bother with 3D if they are not artistic or creative? I feel I could learn how to but wouldn't be able to make anything cool/good/whatever.

Is it like learning how to play an instrument, but if you can't make good music you are useless?
>>
just do archviz.
>>
Nobody truly lacks creativity.

And for me, 3D isn't about the wild inspiring designs that many CG artists tout, for me it's about nailing the really subtle things - like when I learnt about caustics I had to basically surgically remove my erection, I was making simple glass models for ages afterwards.

But I'm not making stylised characters everyday I'm making cups and chairs and shit and it's fucking nice, and maybe you'll find your little 3D fetish too.

Or maybe you won't, and you'll find something else, but creativity is simply not an excuse.
>>
>>561418
>Nobody truly lacks creativity.
This so much.
>>
>>561404
>Is it like learning how to play an instrument, but if you can't make good music you are useless?
It's like learning how to play an instrument, but not learning the music theory to accompany it.

Except in both cases you can just learn how to do the thing you can't, anyway. "Creativity" is a skill that can be practiced and refined.
>>
>>561422
Some people are to dumb to realize when they do something creative.
>>561429
Creativity is like an aptitude for a special kind of problem solving. It can be learned, but its difficult to teach, you'll get more when practicing.
>>561404
Don't worry about that too much OP, if you can master the technical stuff which needs time and effort, you will have the drive and ability to learn some more artsy stuff.
Also if you have fun doing it ....
But be warned: if you are creative or not, it will take time and everything will suck at first.
This phenomenon has a name. Its the Valley of suck. Everybody needs to go through it. Don't be dis-encouraged, it happens to the best, some will just travel longer.
>>
>>561418
>I'm making cups and chairs and shit and it's fucking nice
That sounds pretty comfy desu.
>>
>>561404
You can do really fun and cool things in 3d without "creativity." For example, you can learn to model things based on already existing objects just by taking a bunch of measurements. From there, it just becomes a technical exercise of sorts, using a skillset and an understanding of 3D tools to enter data into the computer in order to yield a predictable result.

Innate artistic ability helps when it comes to simply "eyeballing" things to model them quickly and set up a decent looking render without much thought, but even great artists will use references extensively to make sure their end result is as accurate as possible.

So, yes, if 3D is something you want to do, then do it. Just learn to take your time and work with good references.
>>
80% of creativity is knowing what is good and bad. If you have that then you know the process. Move away from what's bad and toward what's good.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (2MB, 2481x1700px)
Untitled-1.jpg
2MB, 2481x1700px
>>561404
Just use concept art, dude. You don't have to be a concept artist to make good 3d.
>>
>>561724
thats a perfect execution
>>
>>561724
I never got this, making my own concepts into 3D has simultaneously has made me better at drawing and modeling.
>>
File: ex-2.jpg (571KB, 2495x1700px)
ex-2.jpg
571KB, 2495x1700px
>>561791
That works for some. But to reach you maximum potential in a field you need to specialize. Doing both 3d work and concepting at the same time means you need to master more things and if one of those skills is subpar all the rest will suffer. There are so many talented 3d modelers out there who just chose to make crappy renders based on shitty personal ideas instead of using already made concept art.
>>
File: Capture.png (688KB, 855x665px)
Capture.png
688KB, 855x665px
Thanks for the motivation guys. For those of you working full time how many hours a day do you learn after work?
>>
>>561404
>Is it like learning how to play an instrument, but if you can't make good music you are useless?

that's not even close to the truth.

people can have million-dollar careers and never write a song. its called performance. if you're super fucking good at the piano, people will pay you to play Liszt

its the same for any profession
if you get technically proficient at the 3D modelling, you're going to have demand. whether its engineering, or the video game industry, or people who want simulations, or reconstructions, etc...
>>
>>561851

If I have nothing else to do, I will learn something I don't know or try to master something I do.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.