[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /3/, I have some questions as an absolute beginner (no

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1488048260209.jpg (95KB, 615x800px) Image search: [Google]
1488048260209.jpg
95KB, 615x800px
Hello /3/, I have some questions as an absolute beginner (no drawing skill, no modeling skill, etc)

Questions:
Do I need to learn to traditionally draw?
What are the fundamentals of 3d modeling? Are they the same as drawing?
Are the fundamentals of 3d able to be learned through 3d or do I have to draw to learn them? (anatomy, etc)
Finally, I see digital tutors (Now Pluralsight) recommended a lot online, what are your recommended learning paths on these sights?

Thanks!
>>
>>561342
You need to read the sticky. Then you need to do tutorials, any tutorial, every tutorial until you find that the answers to your questions are within you.
>>
>>561342
>Do I need to learn to traditionally draw?

Only if you have absolutely no references whatsoever. That said, being able to draw is a very useful skill when you're authoring textures, especially more stylized ones for anime characters, for example. Procedural textures can only take you so far in that regard.

Anatomy is nice for characters but can be cheated past with enough practice.

>What are the fundamentals of 3d modelling? Are they the same as drawing?

Different people will give you different answers on this board, on what the fundamentals of 3D are. There are people who believe that modelling, mapping, texturing, lighting and rendering your scene properly constitute these fundamentals. Another anon threw a hissy fit on a thread not too long ago saying that fundamentals are much more basic things like being able to move objects around the viewport efficiently, knowing what the basic mesh operations are, etc. Many will tell you to work on your basic forms and fundamentals and never elaborate past that.

The truth is that a bunch of angry anonymous posters on a board whose favorite pasttime is telling you to kys are probably the least qualified people to tell you what the fundamentals are on anything. Don't trust anyone here when it comes to that.

>Finally, I see digital tutors (Now Pluralsight) recommended a lot online, what are your recommended learning paths on these sights?

You don't even have a software picked out yet, you need to choose that first.
>>
Be good at math, problem solving and become a Houdini technical director

Good money
>>
>>561342
no. it helps, but no.

>What are the fundamentals of 3d modeling? Are they the same as drawing?
technical fundamentals that you will learn over time by watching tutorials. too many to list.
also artistic fundamentals that also apply to drawings such as anatomy. you can learn that from books about those topics.
again, too many to list because it covers such a wide range of topics. do your research. maybe browse /ic/ if you really want to.

>Are the fundamentals of 3d able to be learned through 3d or do I have to draw to learn them? (anatomy, etc)
3d is a medium. you first have to learn how to actually use the programs. equate it to learning how to hold a paintbrush.
once you learn how to use the programs, the artistic aspects that 3d shares with drawing can be practiced in 3d. there is no reason to learn how to draw if your only goal is to do 3d.

>Finally, I see digital tutors (Now Pluralsight) recommended a lot online, what are your recommended learning paths on these sights?
they're ok. a little expensive.
pick a program out of:
>cinema 4d
>3ds max
>maya
>blender
and watch whatever tutorials they have for complete beginners. They will cover everything you need to know to use the program for very basic operations.
none of these programs are better than the other as far as a beginner is concerned. do not ask, you will receive only shitpost answers.

Afterwards, do some research on what aspect of 3d you would like to learn more about, and go look for more tutorials on that topic. If character modeling interests you, look at their character modeling tutorials.
>>
>>561342

I'm beginner myself, year and some months in 3d, but I already used 3d in my workflow and made money with it.

it's not a must thing IMHO, but it helps very very very much, but again depends what you wanna do in 3d. in character design it's the best skill to have IMHO.

but IMHO the most important skill is Taste and open mind, everyone can reach good level in 3d if they won't be l;azy about it, but it'll look like shit if artist is tasteless
>>
File: 1490776006058.jpg (18KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
1490776006058.jpg
18KB, 443x332px
thanks guys. you lot are really nice
>>
>>561342
Even if you suck at drawing, making orthographic drawings and trying to make them 3D will teach you a lot about drawing.
>>
>>561342

1. no
2. no
3. no
4. no

it helps but is not mandatory, in fact it's barely helpful. it's more helpful not to know how to draw desu
>>
>>561498

oh and youtube it
fuck paying for vids
you're trying to get paid
not you paying them

start small. make shit for your buddies and send things to popular people you like, they'll promo your stuff for free
>>
>>561342
The problem with Miley Cyrus. She just doesn't know how to look sexy. Conceptually, rebel-country-teen-dream sluts out is awesome. Only she has the face of a comedian and has no idea what sex appeal is.
>>
>>562319
Plus in this pic it looks like she has the "feminine" shoulders of the women in MK9
>>
>>562319
>>562358
her shoulders def aren't enough to make me bot want to bang her tho
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.