[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm making assets for a PC game, and I'm wondering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: Untitled1.jpg (308KB, 1920x1030px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled1.jpg
308KB, 1920x1030px
I'm making assets for a PC game, and I'm wondering what's the best way to handle objects which have both smooth areas and curved areas?

blender doesn't have smoothing groups so I'm a little bit confused. I tried using the "mark edges as sharp" thing, but it doesn't work properly for some reason... (see following pics)
>>
File: Untitled3.jpg (266KB, 1920x1028px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled3.jpg
266KB, 1920x1028px
>>559278
and as you can see it looks horrible
>>
that's a good question, i've been wondering this for a while too. Let me know if you get any results op.
>>
use Subdivision surface modifier or beveling?
(the latter seems the best since you want to keep those poly counts short)
>>
it seems like the way its done in AAA is with high-poly => low-poly normal maps

is there a way to do it without high-poly though? like somehow generator normal maps that have smooth and hard edges where you want them>
>>
>>559278
blender has "smoothing groups", mark sharps to delimitate them, and enable autosmooth (at something like 60º)
>>
>>559278
Run extra edge loops tightly close to the parts you want unsmoothed
>>
>>559278
>select faces you want as a "smooth group"
>press y
>???
>PROFIT!!!
>>
>>559278
Bake Normals
>>
What about nurbs modelling it?
>>
there are smoothing groups in blender, here is how it works.

>you can mark your edges as sharp, in subdivision surface it works automatically, but without it you need to turn on autosmooth
in object data there is a thing called auto smooth under normals tab

100 is regular smoothing, set it to 100 if you only marked edges as sharp
60 is optimal for most surfaces
30 is almost like flat shading, good for cylinders and such
>>
You guys really need to spend like 5 minutes on Blender Stack Exchange

Also there's a 'Blender Questions' thread
>>
>>559298
>>559329
>>559339
>>559341
>>559343
>>559354
have any of you motherfucking retards touched blender ONCE in your life, or do just like to post random shit without even spending 2 seconds to test if it would work or not?

NONE of those suggestions work.

>>559289
>>559327
>>559339
I'm trying to avoid that because I need simple models and also don't have to time to create a high poly and a low poly and bake, I do all my fine detail and height+normal information in substance
>>
Try cheating with a custom texture
>>
>>559377
is this a troll bc auto-smooth worked for me

if you're using an old-ass version of blender it might not show up in the viewport tho
>>
>>559377
you need to smooth the model first for autosmooth to work xD
>>
>>559379
yea it's a troll or a very serious retard who can't follow simple instructions.

auto-smooth + mark sharp always works because that's the recommended method

Post your blend file faggot, let's see what you got
>>
Jesus christ reading this thread gave me cancer. Add edge split modifier > Mark sharp edges on model > Check 'Apply Modifiers' when you export to game engine.
>>
>>559419
>Add edge split modifier
if its for game assets, don't do this, use the auto-smooth method above
>>
File: sculpt.png (49KB, 872x560px) Image search: [Google]
sculpt.png
49KB, 872x560px
>sculpt cylinder
>pinch edges
>clean up
>retopo
>clean up
you guys are all retards
>>
this is clearly bait
>>
File: 1389389427163145429.jpg (12KB, 354x361px) Image search: [Google]
1389389427163145429.jpg
12KB, 354x361px
>>559446

>sculpt cylinder
>>
>>559449
>this is clearly bait
what, the webm you posted? yeah it is. has nothing to do with OPs question, which has already been answered anyway. thanks for a useless post though!
>>
>>559469
i posted because no one answered op question, , my post is valid, but yours is a waste of time
>>
>>559472
you're trolling right

you didn't even read the OP because what you're doing has nothing to do with it

the question was already answered here
>>559298
the fifth post in the thread

continue to be an embarassing, subhuman third-world retard though!
>>
>>559474
yes, I read op´s post, clearly he needed that information and i give it to him
we are a comunity, we help each other, don't poison the well
>>
>>559278
aply the ''edge split'' modofier
>>
>>559469
actually, it does but this thread is bait

you yourself are bait.

why my pal?

i think its best for everyone of you kys'd
>>
>>559432
There is literally nothing wrong with using split edges in a game engine. Having a normal map on literally every asset isn't always preferable.
>>
>>559529
why having split edges when you can simply use autosmooth?
>>
>>559476
>and i give it to him
no you didnt faggot, you helped ZERO

the well was already cleaned, then you shit in it
>>
>>559541
you are jealous because you dont know nothig about cg, people are triyng to learn here...
>>
>>559377
>baking normals doesn't work

eat my ass
>>
>>559278
Smoothing groups and bake normals

>>559446
>Sculpt cylinder
>>
>>560394
>he fucking thought it was necessary to reply to this month old thread which has already been answered 20 times and just trolls remains
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.