[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In Unreal, would there be a way to create a spline pipe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault.jpg (95KB, 1145x745px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
95KB, 1145x745px
In Unreal, would there be a way to create a spline pipe without using a mesh?
>>
Do you mean just a spline? What end result are you looking for?
>>
>>558517
vectors/sprites/particles? What exactly are you asking for - Just the spline?
>>
>>558570
Something that looks like a pipe/cable, but doesn't require me to import a mesh inside Unreal.
>>558576
Anything would be good, it can be made out of particles as long as it doesn't use a mesh.
>>
>>558590
what the fuck are you asking
do you understand what a mesh and a spline are?
>>
There's a material node called Spline Thicken which makes planes look like tubes

I'm still confused as to why you don't want a mesh though.
>>
>>558517
Why does UE4 shading look so much different than other game engines?
>>
>>558609
it looks exactly the same as cryengine did like 8 years ago
>>
>>558607
I do, I'm looking for a workaround if there is even one.

>>558608
School assignment, we have to make an environment with a 25-mesh limit (yes, mesh, not poly or texture or even object count).

Because a separate teacher requested that 21 of these meshes be hero pieces or detailed modular pieces, that only leaves us with 4 meshes to build all of the "tiny" detail in the scene, and I'm looking for as many workarounds as possible to not have to use "meshes" in our scene.
>>
File: C78ZFTxWkAQYpt6.jpg large.jpg (390KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
C78ZFTxWkAQYpt6.jpg large.jpg
390KB, 2048x1152px
>>558609
The power

>>558614
That's odd, but could be interesting.
>>
>>558776
Thats sum high tesselation. Is it megascans?
>>
Sure, programmatically create vertices in the right place, create triangles for every 3 verts, render, etc.
>>
>>558776
That's so impressive I thought it was a photograph and had to image search that shit. Fuck me.
>>
File: cat face.jpg (30KB, 480x477px) Image search: [Google]
cat face.jpg
30KB, 480x477px
>>558776
turns out thats an actual photo.
well played though.
>>
if you want to remove meshes from the pipeline entirely, you could always implement a fragment-shader based ray tracer to render implicit surfaces, and override the UE4 deferred shading pipeline with one which incorporates this step, with the appropriate depth checks so that it properly integrates into the scene. Good luck OP.
>>
Totally. You can do your project *technically* without ANY meshes using procedural mesh.

Is there some sort of stipulation? For example, is it mesh count period, even dynamically generated ones? Or "Imported" meshes?
>>
File: 1473051768497.png (93KB, 1048x424px) Image search: [Google]
1473051768497.png
93KB, 1048x424px
>>558609
It's all the tonemapper. This is the default scene, nothing was changed except the tonemapper was disabled.

In fact they don't even let you disable the tonemapper because they know everything will look like shit. I had to hack in a solution I read from the forums.
>>
File: SSP_SSP_In_Material_Instance[1].png (584KB, 2552x1398px) Image search: [Google]
SSP_SSP_In_Material_Instance[1].png
584KB, 2552x1398px
>>559191
Do you know which tonemapper UE4 uses by default? I quite like this soft look.
>>
>>559213
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-wectYNfRQ

They've developed their own based on ACES specifications. The engine is open source or you can google for a film-style tonemapper

https://www.slideshare.net/ozlael/hable-john-uncharted2-hdr-lighting/53
>>
>>558614
>>workaround

Like a rope that's attached to the balloons in garrysmod?

A facing plane with a rope texture slapped on?
>>
>>558609
It's like the only open engine that uses a diffuse model more advanced that lambert
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.