[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do i make my edge loop traverse through here? the tutorial

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 8

File: Untitled.jpg (270KB, 1920x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
270KB, 1920x1050px
how do i make my edge loop traverse through here? the tutorial im following just says to extrude the geometry, select the edges, then edge loop, but it stops at the last selection rather than form a ring. did i mess up on the extrusion?
>>
File: maya_2017-03-28_23-41-54.png (31KB, 573x798px) Image search: [Google]
maya_2017-03-28_23-41-54.png
31KB, 573x798px
>>558191
Most likely, you have an extra pair of faces right in the middle there where the two prongs intersect, which is closing the edge loop prematurely.

Try selecting that crotch face and ctrl+delete-ing it.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (253KB, 1920x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
253KB, 1920x1050px
>>558193
it just leaves a hole unless i made a mistake reading your post.
>>
>>558195
Yeah, you have to fill the hole back up. Select one of the edges, hold shift-right-click, and select "fill hole". If that doesn't put a face in there, go to Object Mode, hold shift-right-click, "Append to Polygon tool", select the edges until the hole is covered in pink and hit enter.

Then try to do it again. If that doesn't work, upload the file and I'll see what's up.
>>
>>558196
P.S, a .ma scene file is all you need to send, don't bother packing the whole project.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (266KB, 1920x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
266KB, 1920x1050px
>>558196
>>558197
i was able to find the fill hole option and used it, however when i did the edge loop again it still ended at that face. sorry for the trouble. here's the .ma file

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9fKFZTxUdUnMFZydDFzVE1Od0U/view?usp=sharing
>>
File: maya_2017-03-29_00-22-37.png (20KB, 871x630px) Image search: [Google]
maya_2017-03-29_00-22-37.png
20KB, 871x630px
>>558198
As I suspected, you did have overlapping faces. This is looking like an edge extrude you didn't move and forgot about.

Move the verts connecting the leg to the torso down and you'll see it. Ctrl-delete the faces and then weld the leg verts back into the torso with Mesh Tools > Target Weld.

Here's your file back with it fixed in case you can't figure it out, but I encourage you to try and fix it yourself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/82gtbshvhmdj90h/practice_fixed.ma?dl=0
>>
>>558201
damn man. i didn't even manage to move the vertices causing the issues to only delete them. i deleted all of the torso vertices and welded it back together and it still doesn't create the full loop. im gonna try out your file instead. i appreciate the help though. maybe i should start from scratch.

when i moved them it created an x pattern which made it a pain to select which.
>>
>>558206
Don't toss your work away, anon. Mistakes into miracles.

Just go slowly and you'll get there. Feel free to post if you have any more questions.
>>
>>558210
thanks i really appreciate your conrstructive input it means a lot. im super new into CG and i want to go far into it. hopefully this thread will still be up and you'll be here to reply if i can fix it again. i still have my save file. do you happen to use discord to discuss this a bit more?
>>
>>558212
come post in /qtddtot/ next time as well so new threads for small questions don't bump other threads off the board index
>>552542
>>
File: problem.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
problem.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>558212
>do you happen to use discord to discuss this a bit?

Christ cougar, at least take me on a date first.

Your problem really isn't complicated that we'd need that, friend. I've made a .webm for you to exemplify what's wrong and one of the ways to fix it.

(very disappointed with the .webm functionality. I tried putting on a nice song and everything but the 3 megabyte file limit is super gay)
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (300KB, 1920x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
300KB, 1920x1050px
>>558224
thanks you made it way easier, i was doing it by vertex selection.

that being said it still crosses and won't let me pick up the edge underneath.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (241KB, 1920x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
241KB, 1920x1050px
>>558225
nevermind i got it! i somehow managed to pull off the edge so that it wasn't crossing after a few clicks by getting underneath. im not sure how that worked, but it did. thanks for the help.and i apologize for not using the sqt prior. won't happen again.
>>
>>558224
Goddamn just use mesh->cleanup check "Faces with Zero Geometry Area" and click okay
>>
>>558239
Anon is in the stage where he doesn't even know how to move elements around the viewport properly. He didn't know what was wrong, so I wanted him to be able to see the problem and fix it in a tactile way.

There's another faster method to do this, which would be to just select all the stacked verts and do a merge vertices command, but if you don't have poly counts enabled, that also doesn't give you any visual feedback on what's wrong. Again, I wanted him to be able to see what's wrong so that he understands that the problem is there and how to fix it.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.