[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tfw too stupid to understand how to UV unwrap things properly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

File: 1489025911076.png (127KB, 601x508px) Image search: [Google]
1489025911076.png
127KB, 601x508px
Tfw too stupid to understand how to UV unwrap things properly in blender. Does anyone else here struggle with this? I love modelling and i love texturing but im just to dumb to make good UV maps that dont have artifacts or bad stretching and none of the video tutorials ive seen have really helped me understand it. I am completely self taught and kicking myself that i didnt go to uni for this stuff. Help please
>>
File: poopoo pipi.png (111KB, 1064x746px) Image search: [Google]
poopoo pipi.png
111KB, 1064x746px
the principle is simple, you need to find the boundaries of each thing in your mesh and mark them as seams, then find a path that leads to another boundary and mark it aswell.
very similiar to cylinder unwrap.

step 1 is to apply scale (ctrl+a) then to mark your seams (ctrl+e,mark seam) then hit unwrap (U,unwrap).
the seams in this example are not super accurate but you get the idea
>>
Hey anon, it takes time. Imagine that your model is made of paper, and the goal is to cut it into pieces such that it is able to lie completely flat on a table, no wrinkles or folds. Also, uni is a waste of time and money.
>>
>>555064
I find that imaging the uvs as clothing helps, and placing seams where youd typically find them on clothing is a good start
>>
>>555064
Be patient anon. There are lots of ways to do UV unwrap. Keep practicing on low face count models.
See this for some info, but keep looking for more:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/130484/uv_mapping_tips_and_tricks.php
>>
>>555064
Unfold3D, nigga.
>>
File: outUV.jpg (724KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
outUV.jpg
724KB, 1024x1024px
Don't let the UV's beat you, OP! Don't give up on your dreams!
>>
>>558132

>jaggies
>nothing straightened

Yeah, I don't think you should be giving advice with your shit.
>>
>>558133
you are useless.
>>
File: welp.jpg (174KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
welp.jpg
174KB, 1024x1024px
>>558133
>jaggies

Maya was giving me trabbu when I try to export it with anti-aliasing. Only one part of the UV shows up.

>nothing straightened

Substance Painter 2 doesn't care about that, anon. Even if you want to physically paint something, you can just do it on the mesh and it'll be aligned on the color map.
>>
>>555064
Blender has fantastic UV unwrapping. I've used 3D Coat and believe Blender to be comparable.

Remember that the program WANTS to unwrap correctly. The algorithm is smart, you just need to help it a bat.

Imagine the model is a piece of paper mache, and you need to cut the paper mache to lay it flat.

One VERY important little thing that really can effect your map. Make sure to center the origin of the object and apply the scale (Ctrl+A in object mode). This seems to effect the projection of the map.

You can also hit F6 after the unwrap to adjust the margins (distance between islands).

Keep at it! I remember seeing UVs as this crazy obtuse science. It really ain't shit, it's all hype.
>>
File: tumblr_n1ovnusVUG1r3s5noo1_400.png (141KB, 400x431px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n1ovnusVUG1r3s5noo1_400.png
141KB, 400x431px
>>555469
you fag
>>
>>555064
>blender
Do I even have to say it?

Never the less, you want to pretend like you're skinning your model and making a rug out of them.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.