[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What am I doing wrong? (I was going for boolean>difference)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_7.png (216KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_7.png
216KB, 1366x768px
What am I doing wrong? (I was going for boolean>difference) when I got this error
>>
>>554755
It literally tells you in the error
>>
>>554756
Can you elaborate it a bit, I'm new at this

I selected all the windows, grouped them for easier placement then combined them and tried mesh>booleans>difference but I kept getting this error
>>
>>554757
See that red bar that fucking says "ERROR"? Now read what it says in there.
>>
>>554759
I did, I don't understand it well enough to know what exactly I should be doing, that's why I'm asking for help
>>
>>554755
You need to select the tower as well, it says:
>Must have at LEAST TWO polygon meshes selected.
So the program knows what you're removing from.
>>
>>554762
I tried that too, got the same error
>>
>>554763
Correction, no errors now, but the tower disappeared
>>
>>554764
Update, I clicked something and now it works
>>
you're a fucking retard... There are different types of boolean, obviously.
Do you want to merge it? Differenciate it?
kys.
>>
> i got this error that tells me exactly what i did wrong
>What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>554756
>>554759
>>554802
>>554806

Can you PLEASE stop samefagging? We get it, you're a faggot, you don't need to post it over and over.

OP's a beginner, he probably barely understands what a mesh is, and couldn't understand why it's complaining about not having two meshes selected when he's got several (grouped) meshes selected

Honestly it's a fucking shit error message, it should say 'Error: No intersecting polygon meshes selected"
>>
>>554810
I posted this >>554806
I didn't even reads the other posts. OP knows what a boolean is and what he wants to accomplish with it so it's idiotic to think he doesn't understand that error message, which somebody who doesn't even use the program could make sense of. It clearly says you must have 2 meshes selected, and OP clearly only has 1 mesh selected.
The meshes clearly intersect. none intersecting meshes don't cause a boolean to fail, at least in Maya. If they don't intersect and you do a union, they merge. If you difference, the child selection will disappear.
Quit talking out your ass you white knighting faggot.
>>
>>554810
> samefagging
>kys
>>
>>554755

Maya has two different ways of doing booleans, but each method uses a different algorithm, even when you don't choose the algorithm.

So when you boolean from the menu and pick the type, a smaller window opens up that you can use to select the different boolean types as swell, use that smaller window to choose, since it uses a different algorithm than the one you chose from the main menu.

Also, make sure you delete the object histories as well, before you boolean.
>>
>>554755
>using booleans
use edge loops and multi-cut for your windows friend
>>
>>554755
>YEAH GUYS YOU NEED 3DS IF YOU WANT TO EVER WORK IN THE INDUSTRY
>DOING SHITTY TOWERS SURE NEEDS 4K SOFTWARE TO DO IT
>BLENDER IS FOR POORFAGS RIGHT GUYS HAHAHAHHA
>>
>>557451
i'm impressed by how autistic some blender users are, that you feel the need to come into threads that have literally nothing to do with blender and do this

congratulations
>>
>>557458
Took you long enough to show that you love audodesk dick in your ass.
>>
>>557451
>>557464
How fucking autistic and insecure about using blender do you have to be to come to this thread and spew this nonsense ?
>>
>>557472
Not that guy but lmao dude you are not in position to call names
>>
You need to first select your tower, then your windows, and perform a difference boolean. There's a couple different ways to perform a difference boolean so open up the option box next to the boolean operation and see what works for you.
>>
>>554820

OP here
I was just following simple instructions which didn't specify what type of boolean to use. Also I had two meshes selected at the time but it only worked when I reversed the selection order (first the tower, then the windows or the other way around I can't remember now).

The message was confusing because I had done just that and it still wouldn't work and since I was panicking to finish it and upload it in a deadline redoing the whole thing from scratch for one error was not an option.

>>554820
>>554888

I figured it out after 20+ attempts and I have a better understanding for it now as well as other tools, though I'm still a beginner and since I can see a lot of talent and experience here naturally I asked for help. I know rookies can be annoying but all of you were rookies once and didn't know what half the shit did, and sometimes Google can't help because you need guidance in a very specific situation.

>>557448
I do now, quite frequently as I love the simplicity of these tools.
>>
What the fuck? Just put in a few edge loops and create the windows manually you fag. Boolean operations are a meme for any sort of topologically correct modeling.
>>
>>557526
topology is a meme for static objects
>>
>>557528
It's literally not. You need properly topology for correct shaders and even correct turbosmooth/subd. Topology only stops matter after you're already at the end
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.