[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone know how to dramatically reduce the number of triangles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

File: Ribosome FACES.png (574KB, 1088x814px) Image search: [Google]
Ribosome FACES.png
574KB, 1088x814px
Anyone know how to dramatically reduce the number of triangles in an .stl?

My model has over 6 million triangles, and its 978 MB .stl file.

So big that makes me 3D printer crash.

Next pic is a close up of how many triangles and suggestions maybe
>>
File: tRIANGLES.png (116KB, 1113x886px) Image search: [Google]
tRIANGLES.png
116KB, 1113x886px
LOOK
>>
File: vdbMeshing.jpg (358KB, 1920x1017px) Image search: [Google]
vdbMeshing.jpg
358KB, 1920x1017px
Right now it seems like you have a lot of polygons that aren't visible because they are intersecting, so that's a huge waste right there.

You could try a polygon reduction algorithm, I think all major 3d packages have them. Not sure how well that will work. The individual spheres don't look like they have a lot of detail, so you might be left with a jagged mess if you reduce the geometry too much. Might be enough though?

Personally I'd do this with Houdini. You can convert the whole mass of spheres into a volume representation and then convert it back to geometry with complete control over how many polys you end up with.
>>
You could try detaching each geodesic sphere to its own mesh, then reduce the polycount on each individual mesh, or merge each individual mesh to a centre point and use those points to instance a less poly dense mesh.
>>
If it were me, as pleb as it sounds, I'd boolean the whole lot and then use the optimise/prooptimise in max... Or the other way around to preserve the edges. Like the other anon said, you're wasting so much on intersecting geometry.
I was told polycount didn't affect 3d printing though?
>>
>>552950
It's affecting the slicing process. I printed a model of the mars with like 6m tris and it took over an hour to slice
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.