[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've seen many people make texture maps such as pic related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

File: modular.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
modular.jpg
1B, 486x500px
I've seen many people make texture maps such as pic related and something im struggling with mostly is whether to create textures before the UV'in or whether i should make a map such as this and then put the UVs on parts of my buildings to match to the correct textures? How do most of you guys do it? Create Textures first or UV maps then texture the maps in photoshop? I feel like im missing a step or doing something slightly wrong when it comes to UV and texturing. Would love it if anyone could explain their process when they are making modular houses. Hope this makes sense.
>>
>>550149
If it's real simple geometry then you could go ahead and put a texture down first and UV map it based on that, just keep the scale of the parts in mind.

If it's something organic or generally complex, UV map first. That shit's going to be nuts trying to force the UV map to fit the texture you made.
>>
>>550149

So for example, the way i've been doing it so far is to UV unwrap using blenders system, barely editing the UV and just painting over it via photoshop such as pic related. This i know is limited due to space and size but i'm very new at this with zero formal education in 3d.
>>
File: veryverynotbad.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
veryverynotbad.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>550152
The well itself ended up coming out not too bad but i feel like im definitely doing it wrong somehow
>>
>>550151

Is there a way to mark UVs in order to know which is which? So i could know what one i'm overlaying, when its a complicated item such as a building with a lot of mesh detail I don't really know how the hell to go about unwrapping it
>>
File: checker512x512.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
checker512x512.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>550155
You could unwrap with something like this as the texture to see where things are. If you mean see where faces in the viewport are on the UV editor then you can select only them the viewport and those'll be the only ones in the UV editor.

>>550152
Unless your well is really warped, this should be straight. Try a cylinder unwrap. You may have to unwrap the top of the well separately by viewing from the top (numpad 7) and uvwrap project from view, and then line it all up in the editor which you can speed up by selecting connected faces in the UV editor with the L key.

>>550154
Crit on the texture, the top stones have nice depth and a sense of bevel but the blue bricks don't. It doesn't need to be as pronounced as the top stones but it looks so flat right now.

Also if you could paint a bump map, or even convert said bump to tangent-space normals, you could prevent the bricks from looking so flat because I think a lot of the illusion goes out the window when you see the shadows between the bricks turn grey with light.

Alternatively paint everything as bright as it could possibly be and have the lighting only darken the image. Maybe some other tricks out there, like paint in some ambient occlusion and use that in your lighting shader to keep cracks and such dark or something.
>>
>>550156
Re: cylinder & projection unwrap, you'll want to weld the resulting UV islands together at the edges of the stones
>>
>>550157
>>550156

Just tried a cube unwrap... that would have helped me texture that so much lol. When you try to make modular assets. How do you approach it? I want to be able to know all of the correct steps in order to practice my painting making some wow style houses. My aim is to make an entire town with which the assets match up. The personalized texture per asset way that i made the well doesn't seem to translate well though
>>
>>550161
WoW style probably took a lot of detail from a highpoly that was then baked down onto a lowpoly model.

For that you'd do something like Prior's baking setup (pictured) wherein you get general light with highlighted edges and paint over / under that, but if you're just always painting on a lowpoly then you'll just have to keep track of your steps so you always do them.

Can you work out a checklist for your texturing process and follow it each time, taking care to both meet and not exceed that standard?
>>
>>550165

Would that really be the way to do it? Just follow a checklist and making sure you repeat the process? I'm so confused really with what the most efficient way to do this sort of thing is.

https://www.unrealengine.com/showcase/creating-a-stylized-world-with-unreal-engine-4

This article is where i got the idea for this and most of his models seem low poly with re-used textures. I looked into how really to re-use a texture and what i seem to find time and time again is a sort of texture UV map setup.

The only reason i'm not just going HAM with this right now and spitting out hundreds of models and indiviudally texturing them ala my well (ofc the UV is bad etc) is just because i was wondering if there is a quicker way to do this?

I'm guessing the best stages seem to go like this?:

1 Model the item
2 UV map the item
3 Create stylized seamless textures in photoshop in order to be used on multiple items
4 Fit textures to UV's inside photoshop per item
4 Use the diffuse made in photoshop to create amb occ, normals and spec maps
5 fit them in blender so it looks nice and everything matches the way you need to
6 export via FBX to unreal and make the material within unreal

I've watched all of Jamin Shoulet's texturing videos and how to create "fake" amb occ within the diffuse which seems to avoid the need to do the baking thing you're talking about?

Sorry if im confusing any terms btw like i said, all my info is from youtube / poorly made info websites.

Really appreciate the help btw
>>
>>550166
>stools as high as the countertop
wew lad
>>
>>550166
fucking shit mate
>>
>>550154
For the record mate, I think your well has a great aesthetic and you should definitely be proud of it with no formal education. I will mirror the other anon in saying that a bump map will give it more definition but you should be able to generate one from your existing texture with colour select on Photoshop. Well played
>>
>>550239
>>550196

I know this stuff is bad lol, this pic was like 1 month into ever even opening a 3d program :)

>>550248

I appreciate it man, but i'm mostly looking here for advice on the "correct" workflow to follow in order to practice and hopefully eventually create a scene in the style of my link in order to build a portfolio.
>>
>>550149
Always unwrap uv first, then take uv snapshot and adjust texture to fit uv's if you want to paint seperate texture but usually uv's are unwrapped and object painted with something like mari, zbrush or mudbox, using projected textures, hope that helps, most new programs like zbrush, you just paint on objects and zbrush then creates uv's, usually not understandable, basically flattening each polygon and just randomly placing it in uv space, but that doesn't matter as zbrush can read it, and you paint straight on the object, so you wouldn't need to do texture painting in uv space ever.
>>
I think the well looks pretty cool. Whats missing is Ambient Occlusion so you see the inside wall in the well.
>>
>>550254
still fucking shit mate
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.