[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So today a friend of mine recommend to me some software called

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

So today a friend of mine recommend to me some software called Sculptris. I've never sculpted digitally before, but I have some experience in irl sculpting with Sculpey clay.

Although it's unfinished, this is my first time digitally sculpting and I was hoping I could get some feedback/general advice from any senpai that might be lurking
>>
looks awsome for first time.

id suggest to throw sculptis away and get with something more professional/better
>>
From scratch or did you start with a base?

My advice would be using a separate mesh of two spheres for the eyes.
>>
>>549526
Looks good man.

Just like you start a physical model with bulk and planes, you start one in 3d using a few subdivs, low resolution and work your way up to the details, moving on only after you've done all you can at the resolution you're at.

Make sure that you subdivide a model without smoothing the previous level, it'll waste a lot of effort spent shaping up the model and give it a rubbery look.

Give ZBrush a try though, it's good.
>>
>>549526
use zbrush instead alternatively mudbox or 3d coat, your friend is a hack
>>
>>549537
From scratch out of the ball thing you get at the beginning.
I think you're right about the eyes thing though. I did give it a shot originally once I'd figured out how to place and grab new objects, but by then I'd already scratched out the eyes and I couldn't be fucked to go back and change it.

>>549556
I have absolutely no idea what any of what you just wrote means but I'm going to go research those terms, experiment a bit more with the tools and then I guess I'll graduate into Zbrush. Thanks for the advice and tips, I appreciate it since I'm kinda grasping in the dark here with this new software.

>>549563
Zbrush seems to get good reviews so I'll look into getting it today then.
Friend has also only just started sculpting too tbf. Thanks though man.
>>
Scuulptris is deadware
Zbrush has terrible UI
Should have downloaded blender
>>
I downloaded ZBrush and I'm horrified. How am I ever going to learn this competently? The UI is a goddamn nightmare.
>>
>>549641
Zbrush was pretty fucking scary to me too at first. I've had it for like a year and i still don't know how to do all the shit it can do, but then again i haven't needed to yet. Youtube helped ALOT. I would recommend learning about "Dynamesh" and "Zremesher" right away. You'll use both heavily to retopologize your sculpt (subtool). Learn the mouse and keyboard shortcuts because it will make shit alot faster. For instance...when you have Dynamesh on...to remesh you can hold Ctrl and then drag and release outside the mesh in the black space. You can hold ctrl and then hold RMB then move the mouse forward and backward to zoom in and out. Probably the most helpful thing is the built in tool tips. Just hold down CTRL and mouse over a tool and you'll get a pretty decent description of what it does. Remesh constantly when you're in the beginning of a sculpt. Dynamesh is what you use early on to quickly remesh as you work. Once you've gotten higher polys and want to keep your details thats where Zremesher comes in handy.
>>
>>549641
just pick some basic tutorial
https://www.lynda.com/ZBrush-4-tutorials/Essential-Training/76980-2.html
https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/intro-zbrush-4r7-2090
http://www.digitaltutors.com/tutorial/2090-Introduction-to-ZBrush-4R7
Zbrush isn't something that u learn with just open and try, the ui is the worst of all the 3d packages
>>
>>549641
Lynda tutorial is great. You just need a day or two to learn learn the UI. Once you get past the overall shit design you will discover the single most fun piece of digital art software out there.
>>
>>549526

Sculptris is fine for getting used to digital sculpting but you're going to outgrow it eventually and want to move up to something like Zbrush, Mudbox, or 3D-Coat.
>>
>>549641
>The UI is a goddamn nightmare.
welcome to zbrush

>>550379
>Sculptris is fine for getting used to digital sculpting but you're going to outgrow it eventually

I use sculptris alongside with blender since I'm so used to it and it's like a 3D sketchpad for me. it's INSANELY fast.
>>
>>549641
You can try to start with ZBrushCore instead of the complete ZBrush.
>>
>>550379
How good is 3dCoat compared to Zbrush?

I tried getting in sculpting with Zbrush a couple of times, but UI just throws me off every time. I got 3DCoat to and it seems much more easier to navigate, but i keep hearing it sucks in comparison.
>>
>>551457
zbrush is so powerful it would be stupid to use anything else
>>
>>551463
this unfortunately.
>>
>Zbrush has terrible UI
why? I mean which software has better?
PS: it sucks if you are using it with mouse though.. and learn to right click navigate

PPD: OP looks cool, I started zbrush using Zbrush(digital sculpting) kinda half year ago and I just can not get away from it, I instantly fell in love
>>
File: burly_guy_wip.jpg (363KB, 1183x865px) Image search: [Google]
burly_guy_wip.jpg
363KB, 1183x865px
Hijacking thread rather than starting a new one.

I fucking love this software. How do alternatives like mudbox compare? Any reason to use one or the other? I heard Mudbox has nicer painting / texturing tools but I plan to do that in substance painter at a later point.

This is my third sculpt ever after discarding the previous two. Very much WIP. How am I doing?
>>
>>551457

Zbrush does a lot more than 3D Coat but 3D Coat is a hell of a lot easier to use. It depends on whether you want to spend most of your time learning to use the software or most of your time sculpting.
>>
>>549575
>Should have downloaded blender

I know you are trying to do some kind of falseflag memery but Blender's sculpting is actually bretty gud but you have to actually add / make your own brushes, which is quite tedious (but a one time thing) and kind of do a lot of other technical shit outside of Sculpting Mode to fake the sorts of features in Zbrush

Is it worth it to do all of that if you can just use Zbrush instead and still have more power? For now, no, but in the future if Autodesk gets increasingly more jewish, and Blender gets increasingly better, eventually the one will sink and the other rise until they both meet.
>>
>>551632
how can u actually do dynatopo with quads?
i can't create basemeshes with triangles
>>
>>551632
naw i love blendur

i just love memes more
>>
File: burly_guy_wip2.jpg (289KB, 876x864px) Image search: [Google]
burly_guy_wip2.jpg
289KB, 876x864px
>>551592
Update
>>
>>551760
Looks amazing, keep going
>>
>>551760
It has two (very small) clavicles, and what is that thing coming out of the sternocleidomastoid? Also, fix the top of the head.

Never stop practicing and remember to look at reference.
>>
File: dudeturntable.webm (3MB, 1552x932px) Image search: [Google]
dudeturntable.webm
3MB, 1552x932px
>>551955
Thanks for the feedback, anon. It's easy to oversee stuff like that when you've been staring at the same model for a time.

Made some fixes, but I'm not sure if I corrected those mistakes completely yet.
>>
>>551977
Different anon, but the lats are wrong, and it still looks like he has two clavicles. But the obliques, serratus, and abs look great.
>>
>>551982
I see what you mean. I looked at some more reference and it looks more like the chest muscles flow almost directly from the clavicles, whereas on my model they are separated. Cheers for your feedback, I'll take a look at your other points too.
>>
File: pec_retouch.jpg (478KB, 2653x883px) Image search: [Google]
pec_retouch.jpg
478KB, 2653x883px
>>551955
>>551982
I think I have fixed it now. I might want to do some more work on where the pecs meet, but as far as the clavicles go I think they're in the right spot. Thanks again for the pointers. Looking back now at earlier iterations it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.