[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fuckin Maya LT man. I'm doing some online course I got

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: screenshot.png (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.png
3MB, 2560x1440px
Fuckin Maya LT man.

I'm doing some online course I got from a new years sale, looking to move from blender to maya (mostly because Maya exports cleanly to UE4 with minimal effort. Fuck Blenders FBX export tools)

What kills me is the lack of hotkeys for modeling. I've been googling tools as I come upon them to try and find them, but the best I've come up with is Ctrl-E for extrude poly.

Everything is in fucking menus, and they even have hotkeys dedicated to bring up more menus.

Helpfully the training I got is mostly to do with Nurbs, which is more or less useless for what I want to do.

What are Mayas GOOD points? What does it do well, aside from Nurbs?
>>
why not just use maya fbx exporter in combination with blender?
>>
There's a plugin for Blender that lets you use the official FBX SDK

http://amyaimei.deviantart.com/journal/Bos-FBX-Importer-Exporter-for-Blender-2-77-604467313

Try this my guy
>>
>>548600

The export functionality is one reason. Maya LT also has other features built in specific to exporting to UE4, such as for animations and the like.

Also almost all of the workflow and tutorials in the UE4 documentation refer to Maya or 3ds Max.

Not wholly opposed to learning Maya, since if I go professional, experience in Maya would sound better than blender on a resume. Though I can just put down experience in both. [spoiler]Bearing in mind that I'm currently employed as a software engineer with a bachelors in computer science[/spoiler]
>>
memorise the marking menu and it's no slower than shortcuts. Marking menu is also much nicer when using a tablet since your entire workflow can be in one hand.
Or just create your own shortcuts.
>>
What is wrong with the camera in Maya? I'm used to having the camera pivot around the select when I rotate.
Maya just seems to pick some random location and pivot on it. So if I zoom in on my selected object, and try to rotate the see the back of it, Maya's decided the pivot is a meter away and the camera flies away from the object.
>>
>>548616

It pivots to the center of the viewport. You can change the pivot point from the preferences.
>>
>>548598
You can make your own shortcuts.
>>
>>548598
Also a comp sci pleb at a game company learning Maya. I got cancer learning to model in Maya so started with Modo. Seems a lot better. I'll still probably end up exporting to Maya to rig and animate but at least I won't have to get actual aids from modelling in Maya.
>>
Are you using the modeling toolkit tab on the side? Its a fairly new addition.
Also, shift-rmb when holding the mouse on the mesh will bring up common modeling shortcuts.

>>548616
Select your object and press F to focus on it, the camera will then rotate around your selection. Works for components too if you want to look at a certain part of the mesh.
>>
>>548843
Well thats the thing, I keep using F to focus back on the object when the camera flies away from it when rotating. It doesn't seem to make the camera pivot around the object at all.

Nor is it pivoting around the center of my viewport, when I get up close with a small bit of mesh the camera pivots around some place way off screen.
>>
>>548866
Here's a video of what it looks like on my end
https://youtu.be/Pmq5yNllxVI

Zooming far enough away the camera just pivots around itself. Zooming in more causes it to pivot no where near the thing I Focused on with F
>>
>>548867
Is it pivoting around cursor position in the viewport?
>>
>>548890
No, it wouldn't be flying off like that if it was.
>>
>>548867
Did you try resetting your preferences?
>>
Ok, I was given a solution elsewhere.

In the viewport, go to panels>perspective>new and the new perspectives camera has all the defaults.

That seems to work fine.

Also I rebound F to "Look at selection" and that seems to snap the camera pivot right to the selection.
>>
>>548598
>I'm doing some online course I got from a new years sale, looking to move from blender to maya
Choose max instead, is more easy 4 a blender user, the workflow is really diferent in maya
>What are Mayas GOOD points? What does it do well, aside from Nurbs?
animation and lot of compatibility with industry standard things, but is really fucked 4 modelling imo
>>
>>548976
Well I'm trying Max now. Or will be once my back feels better.
>>
>>549450
https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/3ds-max-modeling-fundamentals
you have a free trial of 10 days, the course is 7 hours and is enough to start with max
>>
>>549450
also this
https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/3ds-max-2017-introduction-2517
>>
>>549454
>>549457
I've actually got a pluralsight account just recently. I'll check those out thanks.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.