[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /3/. I am designing a spaceship based on an insect's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7

File: f9a65c6b58300a9f1f97d4a3b95de9b6.jpg (238KB, 1600x895px) Image search: [Google]
f9a65c6b58300a9f1f97d4a3b95de9b6.jpg
238KB, 1600x895px
Hey /3/.
I am designing a spaceship based on an insect's anatomy. Cool so far, it's been done before.

However, here's the thing. The design is going to be driven by a real-world style of architecture.

How should I approach this? I feel like getting these three unrelated elements to fit together is going to be a challenge.
>>
You should look up a series called Lexx. It really ran with that idea.
>>
>>547925
Which is it? Insect anatomy or architecture (buildings)? Or did you mean real world aerospace engineering considerations?

Because in the real world space ships are going to be boxes (for the humans and storage inside) with rounded exteriors (to deflect radiation and make them hard to spot) with some kind of rear propulsion system, some kind of forward breaking system, and covered in maneuvering thrusters in 360 degrees, so the end result is going to be some kind of polyhedron / icosphere.

Also there will be a drone by because almost everything you'll do in space will be done via drones rather than actually have people go on EVAs
>>
>>547929
*drone bay, with some kind of mechanism to push them out (they won't just fall out of the space ship on their own like in anime)

Also the drones themselves will follow the same design concepts, with accommodations made for their role
>>
>>547929
I mean building architecture. Like classical, rococo, modern, gothic, etc.

If this sounds bad know that I did not come up with these constraints.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (268KB, 1604x715px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
268KB, 1604x715px
>>547933
WH40K might give you some inspiration.
>>
>>547939
That's great, but it's really just "spaceship-buildings". Thing is, I've seen a ton of good insect spaceships, and building spaceships. But spaceship-insect-building doesn't seem to make sense to me from a design standpoint.
>>
>>547933
>If this sounds bad know that I did not come up with these constraints.

That's a relief. it sounds fucking stupid.
architecture and ship engineering seem mutually exclusive.

>>547939
This ship looks fucking stupid.

I guess ideally you'd go for abstract architecture because it's specifically designed to look structurally implausible, which can justify your need to modify it to conform to a ship.
I guess you could also just cop out and design a fortress for your ship. So that the 'ship' is a ship insofar as it can move through space, but is actually just a large structure inhabited by life.
Maybe go for an organic style and the ship could be a combination of organic tissue and synthetic material.
see: That race they recently reintroduced to Elite Dangerous. That thing looks pretty cool.
>>
Maybe just arrange parts of buildings in an insect shape like some sort of Shadow of the Colossus. Like a gothic tower with a big spike for the head, bunch of gargoyles adorning the edges of large shapes, buttress legs, vaulted ceiling underneath and maybe some exposed areas where you can see inside and it's vaulted ceilings since it reminds me of the inside of an insect when it's all dried out.

tl;dr kitbash some cathedrals into a bug colossus
>>
File: Cicada-exo_2.jpg (285KB, 595x342px) Image search: [Google]
Cicada-exo_2.jpg
285KB, 595x342px
>>
File: Back plates.jpg (785KB, 3015x907px) Image search: [Google]
Back plates.jpg
785KB, 3015x907px
And the big spires can go out at an angle following the normal and make it look real massive and put some lightning effects or some shit on the tips like it uses them to stabilize in the atmosphere or some shit
>>
File: Head.jpg (199KB, 1216x489px) Image search: [Google]
Head.jpg
199KB, 1216x489px
Big ornate windows for eyes, but maybe a sort of spider arrangement in the front instead of just one on the sides.

And the mouth can open up like a physical shield covering something, like a docking bay or a big staircase or a fucking Gun
>>
File: 4141632317_72588a0b99_b.jpg (674KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
4141632317_72588a0b99_b.jpg
674KB, 1024x1024px
The multiple parts in wasp mouths can be a good map for scifi pieces, like the center forked tongue thing is a gun or stairs, the segmented things can be straight spires, the flappy bits above the tongue thing can be giant gothic capacitors / energy things, and the big jaws some kind of ornate drawbridge
>>
File: archigram 111.jpg (109KB, 800x320px) Image search: [Google]
archigram 111.jpg
109KB, 800x320px
>>547953
>architecture and ship engineering seem mutually exclusive

Ships are about the only thing that are similar in size to buildings, and both share many of the same purposes and requirements.
What else is a cruise ship or a large cargo ship if not architecture? Do ships not have to accommodate for mans needs and desires?
People live and work on ships, just like they do in buildings, so good architecture goes a long way in both.
Spaceships will only increase architectural requirements because of their size and all the things that need to be accounted and planned for.

OP, look up Walking Cities by Archigram. Pic related.
Might give you some inspiration.
>>
>>547960
>>547961
>>547962
>>547963
>>547967
this is good advice, you're a bro.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.