[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how can you actually light a scene well in UE4 when you're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: icr2Kvn[1].jpg (1B, 486x500px)
icr2Kvn[1].jpg
1B, 486x500px
how can you actually light a scene well in UE4 when you're not allowed to have more than like 3 lights near each other at a time?

I have a lot of lighting experience in vray and maya and from experience for a say small scify scene i might need as much as 80 lights even if the concept art shows 2 lights in the scene.

I got EU4 last night, tried to light this 1 scene and everything went to shit cuz i cant put more than 3 lights in one place, and as far as i know there are no salable rectangle lights that i can just point in places to get sharp highlights, just a spotlight with a cone.
>>
helper lights yes
you need to create light from emissive sources
>>
>>545454
you mean geometry with emissive materials on it?
>>
>>545455
well i think you have the option of emission influencing nearby objects i just forget where that is. im not entirely sure.
im gonna watch a tutorial on lightning soon
>>
>>545456

ok
>>
File: f5ffdd36d7[1].png (1B, 486x500px)
f5ffdd36d7[1].png
1B, 486x500px
so apperantly. if you just set your light to static, you can have as many lights as your hear desires.

but still. anyone know how i can make emissive objects cast light?
>>
Remember you can bake lighting results onto your textures to save on resources, especially with static environments.
>>
>>545564
What????? How?
>>
>>545564
it won't look tho, unless you entire style is based on that
or your game is literally mobile tier
>>
>>545567
Actually prebaked static lighting is the best quality lighting you can achieve in a game engine, you just don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>545565
Just look into static lighting, you'll need an additional set of UV maps called lightmaps to store the precalculated lighting.
>>
>>545569
what you mean same as UT2004 baked lightning?
>>
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/QuickStart/index.html

I think you need to do some tutorials and read the documentation because it's obvious as hell that you have no idea what the fuck to do in UE4.
>>
>>545573
>it's obvious as hell that you have no idea what the fuck to do in UE4.

>I got EU4 last night

brah
>>
>>545572
What, polygons and textures?
You mean like Mario 64?
>>
>>545569
not him but i don't agree with your statement, mainly because static lighting will look jarring the moment a moveable object traverses the scene, like a deer in a forest or a person in a room, due to the fact that light isn't going to interact with those models. you'd still need stationary lights which defeats the purpose of baking light maps.
>>
>>545920
no, when the lightning information is baked on the texture.
like when bake a full render
>>
>>545550
Either make an emmissive map in a texturing program or add a constant to the emmissive channel in the ue4 material editor
>>
>>545986
There are 3 types of light in UE4
>Static
Prebaked only, no dynamic lighting / shadowing, no changing light parameters at runtime.

>Stationary
Combination of prebaked & dynamic. Some light info can be prebaked (shadows / bounces) but will also light & shadow dynamic objects. Light brightness & colour can be changed at runtime.

>Dynamic
All lighting & shadowing calculated at runtime. Light can be moved & rotated. All parameters can be altered on the fly.
>>
File: 1444508340702.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1444508340702.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>545987
> lightning information
> lightning
>>
>>546228
He's talking about baking the light to a texture, do you not know what baking is? If you set up, say, a red light next to the model, then render, then baked, the red lighting will be added to the texture.

Don't mock others when you clearly don't understand things yourself.
>>
>>546757
not that guy but he was quoting his spelling of lighting as 'lightning'
>>
>>545986
That's was baked light samples are for. Basically a "voxel lightmap".
>>
>>546757
> Don't mock others when you clearly don't understand things yourself.
KEK
>>
>>545986
>Saves a shit ton of resources on light which will be static anyway
>Defeats the purpose
Are you retarded? The whole point is that you're supposed to devote those resources to properly running the dynamic lights.
There's a reason a game can play in real time and 3d software has to take an eternity to render a single frame.
It's called optimization.
>>
>>545986
>it will look bad if you do it badly

That's true, you need to make certain design decisions and take certain things into consideration.

But if done well, you get really tremendous results at very little performance cost.
See Mirror's Edge (which looks somewhat dated now but looked fucking amazing for its time and platform constraints)
>>
>>548292
Mirror's Edge came out nearly a decade ago and still holds up to today's standards in terms of environments. The use of lightmaps in that game was amazing.
>>
>>548322
too bad mirrors edge had such shitty actual gameplay
>>
>>548326
/v/ pls go
>>
>>548397
>cant handle crits
fuck off.
>>
>>548398
Gameplay comments have nothing to do with graphics or lighting, GTFO.
>>
>>545550

You can't have an emissive actually emit light. It'll "glow" but that's it.
>>
>>550809
in ue4 you can set emissive to cast static lighting, it's in the, I think project settings.
>>
>>550809
Yes you can actually, it's expensive performance wise but you can do it easily
>>
File: lightning_map.jpg (95KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
lightning_map.jpg
95KB, 1920x1080px
>>546757
>>
>>551108
Fukken KEK funniest shit I've read all night.
>>
fucking retards
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.