[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking into getting a 3D printer soon and have a few

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

File: 3d.png (77KB, 1024x720px) Image search: [Google]
3d.png
77KB, 1024x720px
I'm looking into getting a 3D printer soon and have a few questions:

1) How hard would it be to take a model like (pictured) and convert it into a printable display model? I have a stack of props and other junk I've done for various game projects.

2) Can /3/ recommend any good beginners advice/tutorials for someone looking to get into 3d printing? I tried the 3d printing subreddit and holy fuck I'm staying away that toxic circlejerk cesspit.

3) Is there much of a market in a technologically-deficient nation such as Australia for something like a custom 3d print shop (ie business that develops custom printable objects, could be things for cosplay use, or some furrys characters taking a dump or whatever, anything that people want that doesn't readily exist).
>>
1) hard
2)you're being ignorant
3)you're thinking of making a shop without ever even printing a single thing m8
>>
>>542408
Normally I'd agree with you on 2, but fuck those people are unwilling to admit the flaws of 3d printing, to the point that it negatively impacts what people think of 3d printing as a whole.
>>
>>542407
Australian 3d man here
1. That's about an hour and a half of fairly relaxed modelling
2. Yea It's fuckin cringe
3. Absolutely not, literally everyone in my 3d Design course Back in University tried the exact same thing without success
>>
>>542439
Thanks for the heads up.

I heard of a few 3d print shops here trying to start up right out of TAFE etc but they went out of business within months.
>>
>>542453
I Guess even as someone as bias as you towards 3d, ask yourself if you'd really pay decent amounts of money for 3d figurines
>>
I model bits and pieces for a guy who prints them for cosplay outfit commissions. he makes fuck all from it, if anything, so i don't take a cut and just do it for the enjoyment of seeing the end product i helped create.
I've done a bit of research into it and there really is no demand for 3D printing in Aus atm. It seems to be more true every day that if you aren't in hospitality, mining, or a trade, This country isn't a good place to work. I'm seriously considering moving overseas.
>>
>>542456
This because all cunts over here do is rip cones and do burnouts in twin turbo V8 commys
>>
File: bowl with cube.jpg (110KB, 1332x537px) Image search: [Google]
bowl with cube.jpg
110KB, 1332x537px
I have a 3D printing question.

To make this question easier to comprehend, I've made an example to illustrate it. In the picture we see a crude bowl with a cube affixed on top of it. The bowl, as you can see in the wireframe view, is hollow on the inside as bowls typically are, but the bowl is completely sealed by the solid cube that is colliding with much of its geometry.

If I were to 3D print this model as is, would the bowl portion of the model be hollow or would it be completely solid?
>>
>>542407
There is a general on /diy/.

3. You are not going to succeed.
>>
>>543800

Not that I've ever done any 3d printing, but as regards intersecting faces I believe the printing software will simplify that away one way or another (or at least the end result is going to be a solid cube)

That said, intersecting faces are considered "non-manifold geometry" (even though *technically* they aren't, but whatever) and generally you need to fix non-manifold geometry or else you'll get UNDEFINED results (meaning maybe it'll be fine, maybe it'll fuck up, maybe it'll be fine this time but your next print will fuck up, etc), for more information check out this link:

http://3dprintingninja.blogspot.com/2014/07/non-manifolds-your-worst-nightmare.html

The only way to make money printing 3d shit is to design something furries will want to buy and sell it to them, you'll make almost no money off commissions
>>
>>543800
It depends on the model and the settings of your print software.

If the model is just a surface the bowl will be filled with whatever amount of 'infil' you set. Infil is the support structure 3d printing softwares put inside objects.
If the model is an actual object, a closed polysurface or mesh, most 3d print software should have options to only print the mesh or the shell and don't do any infil. Then the bowl would be hollow.

You would still face the problem of support structures tho. Generally speaking, good 3d printers can cover quite some overhang without any support underneath it, but there are limits. Depending on the size of your object, you could probably print the bowl without support material, but the cube would want support or it will look very badly with pieces of unattached filament hanging around at the bottom. You could print it upside down for better results.
All that is assuming you speak of standard fdm printers.
Printers that print out of a resin typically need less or no support and can print more detailed objects, but take longer and the material is more expensive.

You should do a lot more research and buy a cheap DIY printer for like 150 bucks and play around with that.
It's very hard to monetize desktop 3d printers. Prints take a long time and most are either useless decoration or fill a very niche role that you can't mass produce.

There is a market for custom 3d printing for industries but you will need huge printers for that.
>>
File: 1474927429146.gif (775KB, 700x764px) Image search: [Google]
1474927429146.gif
775KB, 700x764px
1) it won't very hard, if you already have the model, it is fairly straight forward to making it printable, any 3d software has the option to export as an .stl file. (even cad software which cannot do anything other then view them) this gun, could be printed on it's back with a few supports, and then only needs additional support for the trigger, because the entire gunstock can rest on itself. Use a slicer like curaengine or slic3r. they will generate support material and gcode for you.
2) for adivce, probably watch youtube. But use your brains, it is pretty straight forward.
3)these already exist and their quality will be beter then yours for a price you can barely compete with using a single printer. you will need to have a lot of high quality Multi-extruder printers to be able to make some profit.

-anon with a 3d printer
>>
File: sig_01.png (3MB, 3566x2554px) Image search: [Google]
sig_01.png
3MB, 3566x2554px
>>542407

Hey dude. I've not read thread and probably don't have much to add beyond saying 'learn Fusion 360'.

Fusion is geared towards printing and it's really fucking fun and easy to use. Here's a gun I made in it just recently...
>>
File: sig_02.png (4MB, 3702x2698px) Image search: [Google]
sig_02.png
4MB, 3702x2698px
>>543933

Any other Fusion360 users here?
>>
File: sig_05.png (4MB, 3165x2235px) Image search: [Google]
sig_05.png
4MB, 3165x2235px
>>543936

It's really quick to produce a finished looking outcome like this and pipe it into Zbrush via a neat little script I have in Maya....
>>
File: sig_06.png (3MB, 2569x2001px) Image search: [Google]
sig_06.png
3MB, 2569x2001px
>>543937

But you're pretty much forced to do retop every time. Not experimented with it much yet to see about getting lo-poly out of it...

But anyway, yeah - Fusion360 is pretty specifically geared towards 3D printing. And it's pretty much free if you promise Autodesk that you're a student.
>>
>>543937

This is a pretty fucking nice looking pistol anon.

Well done, faggot.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.