[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is it true that the wages in the industry are shit? I just finished

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: sausage.png (327KB, 648x536px) Image search: [Google]
sausage.png
327KB, 648x536px
is it true that the wages in the industry are shit?

I just finished architecture school and I know almost nothing about 3d design ( Only sketchup,3dsmax and Blender on a very basic level) and I want to specialized in 3D design but unlike a lot of people who is in this industry im not a trust fund kid (not saying you guys are, I know some of you guys personally and I know you are hard working people) and im poor as fuck, should I follow my dream or work in construction?
>>
>>541259
>is it true that the wages in the industry are shit?

YES!

Especially in California. Hollywood is notoriously known for creating pop-up companies to dodge unions, and regulations and to pay poor rates. Because this is the dominant way of doing business in California the entire industry has become stagnant, especially so in the entry level jobs. Raises are nearly unheard of. Incentives like longer contracts or healthcare or retirements are simple not there. AND going without pay for a period of time has now become the norm.

Best thing to do is make your own IP and sell that. Sell the rights, get those royalties. Don't waste time trying to get your foot in the door by going through entry level positions.
>>
>>541259
I thought architects and CAD guys made a respectable living? Is that not true?
>>
>>541259
>follow your dreams
worth life advice anybody has ever given me.
It seems to be a meme among educators. I'm not sure they realise the harm they do by touting this horse shit.
Do what is most lucrative, which is not 3D. Use 3D as a hobby to reinforce your merit as an architect.
>>
>>541287
worst*
>>
>>541279
i think so but if cad you need a degree

i mean in the realm of product design maybe you can get away with a degree but anything beyond that surely requires it
>>
>>541279

Good if you work 90 hours a week, and even in that case they are good salaries not incredible salaries.
>>
>>541259
Nah. It depends on the region. It's not all shit. But there always has been those popup unstable places and others that give not the slightest shit about keeping their staff.
>>
>>541259
in entertainment, yes
the supply of interns and godly skilled foreigners makes 3d in entertainment industry very, very competitive
large firms expect nothing short of the best and unpaid extra hours
small and medium firms expect to hire one or two guys tops and have them to everything for a salary similar to that of a paid intern
>>541279
kind of but you need to have a degree in architecture or industrial design to go with your CAD skills, also until you get 5+ years of experience expect to move a lot
>>
>>541278
BINGO sacrifice now and make your own thing.
>>
>>541259

>currently making 6 figures in vfx after 5 years of exp

you need to be worth a damn to get hired at all, and your work should look like the lower end of whatever company you want to get into. this isn't necessarily hard, it just means you gotta give a shit about what you're about to choose to do for the next several years of your life

as a junior your salary is going to go from barely minimum wage to barely liveable in whatever expensive city said studio is located at (if it's a bigger one). once you've put in the hours and learned and practiced, if you push yourself to be ahead of the pack and have ambition, you can move up to some of the better known companies, generally you need to jump around places to raise your wage. After a couple years, if you've started building a good resume and reel you can start asking 60-100k depending on the place, which is pretty decent. senior jobs can go to to 100-150k later on (this is also all pre OT).

Does that beat working construction? well at least I'll be more likely to die of diabetes than getting crushed by something, I probably won't get to drive a bugatti or live at trump tower either, but it's more than comfortable living.
>>
>>541416
vfx is a different story. we are talking about mostly on modeling and animation
>>
>>541417
there is plenty of modelling and animation in vfx, what I said applies for the whole entertainment side so cartoons/games/vfx/ads etc, I don't know about the other things like medical/architect/cad.
>>
>>541419
but vfx are the biggest earners
>>
You get a big budget blockbuster title to put on your cv, possibly even your name in the credits, and you want money too?! Ungrateful swines.
>>
>>541423
sausage party wasnt big budget or blockbuster
>>
>>541424

>not a big budget

it costed 20 M to make so you are right

>not a blockbuster

it made 140 M so you are wrong
>>
>>541438
it wasnt a blockbuster movie. Come on son.
>>
>>541424

No but avengers age of ultron was and plenty of fix term contracts were offered to artists where they got minimum wage with no holiday, sick and overtime pay
>>
>>541443
>minimum wage
Why would someone who spent the time/effort required to learn CGI accept a contract for a demanding job that paid as much as flipping burgers?
>>
>>541444

Yes, because it's a more interesting job and they get to tell family and friends they worked feature film vfx. Also it's a foot in the door and the chance to put avengers on their cv and in show reel. All things vfx houses take advantage of to pay as little as possible.
>>
>>541259

>work in construction?

Do this, or literally anything that affords you a decent and balanced quality of life.

With that said, I started on around $20 an hour Ausfalian, these days I make between $40-$50 an hour, and have on a few projects earned double time and a half for serious weeks/months of crunch on fuck huge projects with limitless budgets.

Overall though the work is shit, the hours are shit, decent paying gigs can be few and far between, you'll spend a lot of time stressing about having no work, stressing about having too much work, wanting to quit and find a new career and whilst the money can be awesome, had I just been working a regular and consistent 50-60k a year job for the last 5 years i'd be in a much better position financially.
>>
File: 1346241283821.gif (451KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1346241283821.gif
451KB, 400x300px
>>541439
>just because I dont like a movie I can ignore the facts!
>>
>>541444
its more because that 3D can be easily outsourced.
i even see vfx and game asset work being outsourced to archviz studious and they do the most shitty job ever.

in a nutshell, i think people rather hire shitty artists because they cost considerably less
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.