[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone know what the Maya equivalent of converting a mesh

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1477774434197[1].png (93KB, 1198x680px) Image search: [Google]
1477774434197[1].png
93KB, 1198x680px
Does anyone know what the Maya equivalent of converting a mesh to an editable poly in 3ds max is? or i guess baking down all the layers of modification you added to it? because i modeled this thing at least 4 times now, every time i save and reopen it, its broken. the little floating polygon you see on the screen is spouse to be this big ornate pace around the object but it breaks every time i save. I think its because i mirrored it or something. Pls help. I just switched to maya from max few weeks ago.
>>
import maya.cmds as mc

original_selection = mc.ls(sl=True)
mc.select(mc.polyCube(ch=1,o=1,w=1,h=1,d=1,cuv=4), r=True)
mc.select(original_selection, add=True)
merged_shapes = mc.polyUnite(ch=1, mergeUVSets=1)
mc.select("%s.f[0:5]" % merged_shapes[0])
mc.delete()
mc.select(merged_shapes[0], r=True)
mc.delete(ch=True)
mc.delete(original_selection[0])
mc.rename(merged_shapes[0], original_selection[0])

use that python script and that should do the trick - apologies if I've copied that wrong, I know fuck all about scripts, but this works great for me
>>
https://gist.github.com/alteveer/5549544/

there's the link I got it from
>>
File: c9bc1b8731[1].gif (248KB, 592x530px) Image search: [Google]
c9bc1b8731[1].gif
248KB, 592x530px
side question: anyone know wtf is going on and how to fix it?
>>
>>539716
was this a duplicate or a mirrored polygon?

if it was, take the original and export it as .obj, then bring it back in to maya. if not, export that as an .obj and try the same. of course delete history/freeze transforms etc if you haven't.

this happened to me when i was modeling a bunch of small curved pieces not unlike that one, i'm not sure exactly why but i think it might have to do with duplicates sharing transforms. i could be entirely wrong.
>>
>>539722
i mirrored it and it happpened
>>
>>539724
then that's probably why. just trying a dupe instead. if you need pinpoint rotations use the channel box or hit J for incremental rotation (15 degree snaps)
>>
>>539725
do you happen to know how i might be able to mirror or "flip" an object to face the other way? like i have stairs that are curving to the right, and i need the same thing on the other side to curve into the left, so i need to flip it. the mirror tool is not it
>>
>>539726
Mess around with it. Make it work.
>>
edit > delete by type > history
This bakes all mesh modifiers into the current mesh shape. it's also aaa good habit to freeze transforms on the mesh after deleting history.

modify > freeze transformations

ctrl+shift+MMB click on a menu option will add it to the current shelf as shortcut.
or hold spacebar in the viewport to bring up the marking menu which shows the top bar dropdowns at your mouse position.

>>539726
type -1 into the scale for the axis you want to flip it in, then freeze transforms. You can't delete history on an instanced mesh, so it's best to delete the instance and duplicate + flip the original.
>>
>>539728

There're some things this isn't good enough for though, such as importing a frozen transformation / deleted history ncloth into Ue4. Just comes up as the original poly plane, pretty odd. Only that script I posted above makes it work.
>>
>>539763
That is likely something to do with the way nCloth dynamic meshes are linked to a hidden base shape mesh that they derive their topology from. There is a way to bake down the cloth sim into the original mesh and prevent this, but i don't recall what it is.
>>
>>539708
Why are you making that super low poly when you can just bake it down and chieve bastically the same thing?
>>
>>541564
Why are you necroing?
>>
>>539716
do you have the mesh grouped, and if so is that group scaled?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.