[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am a fresh graduate electrical engineer, atm my job is about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: sddefault.jpg (40KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sddefault.jpg
40KB, 640x480px
I am a fresh graduate electrical engineer, atm my job is about industrial automation and technical inspection. Through all my childhood I have always wanted to do computer animation for a living. This has been supressed during highschool thinking of it as "stupid dreams" but now I feel like I want to do but that.
How would you start the transition if you were in my situation? What things would you start learning, doing so that later I could find a job related to cgi/vfx with my degree?
>>
>>535580

Well, I'm guessing your expertise / strengths are mathematics, understanding complex real world systems, and presumably programming.

To that end, you'd do really well working on the back end developing for Autodesk or for a big studio that needs inhouse solutions to shit (which requires either C++ or scripting or a combination).

Ergo, I'd say learn the basics of 3D just so you understand what artists do, and also just to try it out for yourself because it sounds like something you like, and then pick a software and learn how to script for it, and either solve problems you come across or reach out to other artists (either directly or via forum posts) and ask them "What kind of problems do you have that you wish someone would write an add-on for?" or "What kind of limitations do you run into?" and then see if you can solve some of those problems, and build up a little coding portfolio

Then, after about a year or however long it takes to build a little portfolio of basic art and examples of relevant coding, I'd reach out to studios in your area and explain your situation.

I wouldn't even necessarily send a resume, or I would if they asked for one, but I'd explain how you're working an industrial automation blah blah job, but your real passion is 3D, but you only do it on an amateur level, but you've done some art and some coding and do they have an entry level job for someone like yourself
>>
>>535584
thank you for the detailed answer
Yes, programming was sorta big part of the edu, but it was very hardware-close (C, assembly). Do you think this 3D-software-background-coding would require low or high level language knowledge?
What language did they even use for creating software like Maya?
>>
>>535588
>Do you think this 3D-software-background-coding would require low or high level language knowledge?

It requires C++, they use C++, everyone uses C++ (Maya, Max, Blender, Unreal, etc)

The scripting languages are generally Python or something akin to Lua

Have you learned any 3d? I'd recommend trying / learning the entire process: Sculpting, Retopo, UV Layout, Bake details from Sculpt to Low poly, Texturing and or complex Materials / Shaders (specifically Nodes), Rigging, Animating, setting up Lights (at least 3 point light setup), Composing a Scene (in the photography sense of arranging things to tell a story and to grab the eye, there's rules / tips for it), Rendering, and then finally Compositing or Post (where you tweak the finished product)

Once you've become a bit of an artist and are understanding what parts of that process suck and why, then you can go about learning how to script, how to write modules (I don't even know if this is possible for Maya if you aren't Pixar)

You also might want to look at Blender's source code, it's a mess but it'll give you an idea how shit works
>>
>>535580
It depends what you want to do. If you like the kind of stuff in that clip, you could look into become an FX TD. Learn Houdini, vex, python, etc. Or you could go more into actual programming for CG as well.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.