[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can some1 answer some noob questions about Blender and Unity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 0001.png (277KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
0001.png
277KB, 960x540px
can some1 answer some noob questions about Blender and Unity?

I followed this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay7fgeQC1WI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T70ia5GMmzo

>Why does this have more than 65k polygons (when importing in unity) isnt that too high for vidya if every object was this heavy?

>Why aren't the colors and materials automatically imported? My imported model in unity has only imported some base materials but they do nothing. I havet to add textures myself and color everypart (again)
>(subquestion): Does Maya3d or other software handle this better?

>see http://imgur.com/a/BcZyC: Why is the part with the texture rotated wrongly? (Note that I added texture in unity and I had to rotate the disk manually in blender to make the texture align))
>>
This isn't a matter of Blender and Unity but, rather, a matter of 3D modelling and gaming in general.

The kind of things rendered in 3D modelling cannot be done in real-time via gaming. So when you model for gaming, you do so under entirely different parameters.

Trying to import something with render level complexities can be catastrophic in game engines if you're not careful. That same clock would have to be much simpler. Also the materials would have to be texture-based or made in-engine per assigned material slots.
>>
You can keep all the vertex color data if you want though... But this is another matter entirely.
>>
>>530123
gotcha thx

>>530125
i just used a simple diffuse shader with a color and it automatically transferred correctly. So im getting somewhere at least :3
>>
I recall this tutorial, it uses several passes of subdivision to get pretty rendering results. Each subdivision pass multiplies the number of polygons. The average Blender tutorial object with it's several Subdivision passes will not translate well to a game engine.
There's a very fine art to modelling for videogame use, as it calls for using as few poly as possible and using lots of tricks with shaders to create the impression of a higher fidelity experience than is actually being run through the computer. You want to look up the process of Retolopology and Normal Mapping.
>>
File: 1470071269764.gif (21KB, 150x160px) Image search: [Google]
1470071269764.gif
21KB, 150x160px
>>530121
I got a good giggle from skimming over these tutorials
>>
>Why does this have more than 65k polygons (when importing in unity) isnt that too high for vidya if every object was this heavy?
a single vidya object shouldn't be more than 20k polygons. its just how it is and you will get good at optimizing with time.

>>Why aren't the colors and materials automatically imported? My imported model in unity has only imported some base materials but they do nothing. I havet to add textures myself and color everypart (again)
because the only thing that transfers is the number of material, and material name. game engines have a different material system.

>Why is the part with the texture rotated wrongly? (Note that I added texture in unity and I had to rotate the disk manually in blender to make the texture align))
check ur uv's and textures. this could happen if you didn't paint directly on the model and just slapped a texture onto a UV. can be solved by using smart UV projection. there is a problem with texture alignment when using normal unwrap. your model have to be symmetrical.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.