[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Finally get a job as 3D generalist at a decent but small

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

File: Hadu.jpg (42KB, 559x483px) Image search: [Google]
Hadu.jpg
42KB, 559x483px
>Finally get a job as 3D generalist at a decent but small studio
>"You'll mostly be using Maya"
>"Here's you desk"
>Mac Pro

Fuck. Holy fuck why do people use this shit.

My PC at home has 8GB ram and a graphics card from like, 2006 and it runs Maya faster than this Mac Pro desktop piece of shit with 40GB ram and some kind of Mac Graphics card.

Is there anything I can do?

God damn it's such a piece of shit. The hotkeys are fucked up and every thirty minutes all keyboard commands just stop working. Or the mouse will just remain clicked for 5 minutes regardless of what mouse is plugged in.

I spend 8 hours a day working on the Mac Pro Shit Heap "Yosemite" bullshit. Mac interface is the most cancerous shit on the planet, half the time the fucking "finder" just disappears.

i thought I'd just get used to it after two weeks of working here, but opened up some work files from home today on my old ass PC, only to feel like I'm back on a real computer and not some fisher price tricycle.
>>
>>529121
Bring your home computer to the office.
Not even kidding here.
>>
>>529122
I don't want to do that, sometimes I work from home, and goddamn the difference is night and day.

I think even a basic laptop might handle this shit better.

Every-time I make a play-blast I can get up, take a piss or whatever, comeback and it will just be finishing up for like a ten second clip.
>>
>>529122
You shopping list:
1- Case tower with a handle, ao you can bring it back home whenever you want.
2-Extra cables, mouse and keyboard to leave in the office for use with your computer. You don´t want to drag those around, and they´re cheap.
3- Check if the MAC monitor can be plugged in your PC tower. If not, things are going to get a bit more expensive, as you´ll have to purchase an extra monitor to leave in the office.
>Implying your boss is not a dumbass
If the guy who put you in a mac has a superior, and this superior uses a PC, try to get him fired. For your own good.
>>
Its like me on my old job, I used PS and Substance Designer for texturing and all that stuff and when they put me on the chair, all the PC had was fucking Gimp.
>>
>>529125
It's a small company... he uses one of those "all around speaker" looking macs.

He's a cool guy and knows a decent amount about Maya, how he prefers MAC is beyond me.

The company is just him owner of the company, his right hand person, and me, the Junior Artist. Plus freelancers working from the internet.

There is no "firing him" without the company no longer existing.
>>
>>529125
Also, I have an 1:30 commute by train and metro everyday. My tower is huge as fuck.
>>
mac fag here.
I hate how clunky windows is and prefer osxs smoothness is.
mac is an overpriced p o s these days but the os is something thats way better.

my suggestion is to do bootcamp to add windows and work on that side.

Also stop being an autist and deal with it, its your job.
>>
>>529121

Lol I remember having to use zbrush on one of those mac laptops at a job. The thing sounded like a jet engine above a million polygons.

For the price of that shit they could have at least bought an I3 a big heatsink and a few fans in a decent noise free case like a define r4.

If you ever see a lot of macs and aeron chairs at small companies you better be on a permanent job hunt because they fail within 2 years.
>>
>>529121
>>
>>529140
I could deal with it's shit interface, if it didn't make using MAYA feel like it's under water.

>>529147
There's work out ball chairs.
>>
>>529122
or ask your company to buy a pc. They have money for this.
>>
how people fall for the mac meme?

macs are designed for video editing and browsing the web, or im mistaken and they actually have decent computers now
>>
Theres this company that asked me to make a 3d app project for mac, ios, android and windows. I had to refuse it because ios. Im not paying a godamn license.
>>
Maya is just pretty buggy on Mac in general from my own experience. I've always had issues with it when I took Digital Media Design at college. Only reason I'm using a Macbook Pro is because it's the required computer for the course. Luckily I'm majoring in Web Design anyways.

TLDR, Maya on Mac is just buggy and clunky as hell on OS X. (The Maya I used was 2016 student version.)
>>

▲▲
>>
Yes, Mac is SHIT to work with, specially if the graphics cards are Intel based, they basically have no GPU rendering support, so all those 40GB are just for browsing the web and whatnot. Tell that to your bosses. Ask for a PC, or bring your own.

For me, tough, the interface is the best I've ever worked with once I got past the bad habbits from PC. If you absolutely have to work with it, take a time to check how it works in general, and you might find some nice surprises.
>>
Just an idea here, but what version of Maya do you use at home vs what version at work? If the one at work is a version that has Viewport 2.0 as the default viewport renderer, and the mac's graphics card is some integrated shit tier one, that's your entire performance problem right there. Try switching to one of the legacy viewports.
>>
While i may not love mac's at least they dont use fucking windows 10... it's like Microsoft wanted to create a steaming pile of shit so that their next os would look good. Half the time when i search for something it doesn't come up, and every time it goes to sleep it crashes.
>>
>>529302
Whats your rig?
I have a lenovo Y50, not even a proper desktop, but maya runs perfectly in win10. I only do animation though, no hardcore rendering or sculpting or any of that shit...
>>
>>529298
Thanks I will try this. I didn't think about MACs graphical power being that level of utter shit.

---

I am honestly now considering bringing my home computer. Today I opened up this XGen file from work. I thought XGen was just always slow because, well you end up with a ton of shit.

At work with this MAC that probably costs a few thousand dollars, I have to wait for it to update just to move the camera. I'm talking about full "rainbow ball" loading to inch the camera over.

At home there is only minor frame-rate drops. I built my PC in 2006 with a budget of 900 dollars. This MAC was new in 2009.

I never liked MAC, but even I thought "There probably isn't THAT much of a difference. My god I looked at what this MAC costs new and it'd but you a PC much better than mine.
>>
>>529121
If you do love the job, just pay for a computer you'd prefer to have rather than this mac.
If you want to try your luck with your superior the job, ask nicely for a pc with your specific requirements

There is nothing you can do besides changing this situation I don't even know what you're expecting from us. Just do it and if anyone is asking you why you're doing that, you tell them that this will speed up your performances.
>>
I'm actually in a very similar situation, started a paid internship as 3d generalist + video editor and general post production work and I work with these Macs too, big screen (I think the resolution is 5k or something). Amazing screen but I absolutely hate the interface of Macs, they keyboards and the mice.
Also the machines we have at the studio could not have cost below 2k€ each, if not more.

I work with Maya, C4D and all the Adobe Suite. C4D and Adobe programs work great, but Maya is just unbearable to work with. Half the shortcuts are changed, it hangs up, it's just a fuckup in general. I wish I was working on PCs, even if they were less powerful than these Macs.

My boss/studio director is a macfag and c4dfag and he is the one that decided to fill the studio with Mac computers, I don't know why he had the idea but w/e.
The only redeemable quality these workstations have is their big ass super high res screen, when I look at prices just for a 5k screen to buy for my home workstation I pull my hair in desperation, they're so expensive.

Sometimes you just gotta work with what you got, I personally am not having huge issues let alone daily or even weekly issues, so I don't mind too much, just wish I was working with PCs instead.
>>
>>529140
Fuck off, if the OS is shit then its not the fault of the person working on it. Get a fucking PC.
>>
>>529279
Thats fucking bullshit
>>
>>529147
The aeron chairs aren't bad IMO, but seems like it's a disgusting waste of money for a company to buy a lot of them.
>>
>>529122
>>529124
BRING. YOUR.OWN.COMPUTER - srsly - it is better to do your job stressless and fast, or tardraging about everything wrong that isnt your fault but shitt hardware/software fault? I can't count times i've brong second/third monitor from home, keyboard from home, RAID from home, or just airbed from home to get some sleep.
>>
>>529182
>course-required macbook

nigga what the fuck?
>>
>>529122
Requesting a different computer is fine (though it may be denied) - bringing your own, depending on the company, is not, because that's a security hole as wide as the mexican frontier. At my workplace no computer that isn't part of the domain will have access to any resources, and no home computer is admitted to the domain.

Anyway, doesn't hurt to ask.
>>
>>529121
I had the same at my last job.

Bootcamp a windows, and plug a normal keyboard I had really bad time working on my desktop at home and mac keyboard at work, I started fucking up the buttons on each.
>>
>>529121
Your job seems terribly stupid..
When I started a school that's not even having Maya as major subject, even they knew Mac is shit for this kind of thing.
Not to mention it's way overpriced, you could get a laptop way better for the purpose of creating.

c-congrats on getting a job tho
>>
Save up for a small ITX that can maybe fit two GPU's , max out your ram , then buy a fucking pelican case cuz shit can happen in transit. Then get clearance for it ... show your studio that they need to upgrade.
>>
>>534330
if an institution said i need a mac i'd go boston bomber on their ass
>>
That sucks OP, I feel for you. At our small studio we've stopped buying macs and switched everything over to windows 10 (the macs too, win10 in bootcamp). OS X is just painfully sluggish and bloated and it's clear Apple just doesn't care about 3d users or professionals working in multi-platform environments in general.
>>
>>534638
why would any company work with macs?
it is known that windows have better driver/software support and generally faster for certain tasks
>>
>>534496
Maybe he gets overpaid though. Overpay for Macs, they probably have a 5,000$ coffee machine.
>>
>>534641
It could be a legacy thing. I think you could make the case that 10 years ago a mac was nicer for working with media than windows. For us the macs were our Edit stations running Final Cut Pro. Now of course nobody uses Final Cut and Apple doesn't make competitive workstations anymore.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.