[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just wanna make a quick question. in 3d and in the 3d job market,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1275056425643s.jpg (1KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
1275056425643s.jpg
1KB, 251x251px
I just wanna make a quick question. in 3d and in the 3d job market, does knowing how to draw help? I can't draw for shit so I'm scared that's gonna fuck me up
>>
>>528733
I don't think you need it but it can't hurt to know
>>
you don't need it.

would only be required for hand painting textures or sculpting
>>
Every time I get better at drawing by hand, my 3d ability gets better as well.

I started off with cg while always being mediocre at hand drawing, a few years in and I figuratively hit a wall.

3d software is a tool; this is not to say you can't be "good" at 3dsmax & weak at drawing, but you will suffer especially with organic forms if you don't have a understanding of anatomy for example.

What you'll eventually realize is that you never are not working in 3d, even with a pencil and paper you are just rendering a 3d object on a 2d plane.

Now with this all being said, you don't have to be an amazing 2d artist to be good at 3d. Like let's say your lines are slopy and uneven, but you understand what you are trying to draw, then you can rely on the precision of a computer to help you.

I probably worded this poorly, but it's a common misconception that 2d and 3d are these two separate things. Look at a 3d program like a overly complicated pencil & then ask yourself if using a good pencil makes you a good artist.
>>
>>528733
you don't need it in the sense of like, having a portfolio with drawings, but unless you are aiming to go a very technical route, practicing drawing will undoubtedly make you better. there are obvious things it helps with like sculpting, designing, texturing, but just as importantly, drawing is fast and makes you observe.. it helps you develop your artistic eye, the sense of if something looks good or not, as well as your creativity. 3D is slow, it takes longer to create something, which imo stunts the speed of your artistic development. furthermore, there are a lot of technical things to think about. so you can end up running into a wall as the above poster said. so it can potentially help even if you are doing more technical things, just indirectly.

like how many times do you see technically decent people doing the same old shit over and over based on other people's already generic concepts? or animators whose lack of compositional and storytelling abilities make their shots instantly forgettable? or TDs who have some technical skill but don't make anything interesting or actually nice to look at?
>>
>>528749
this absolutely this.
I do drawing and 3d both, did drawing and painting for years at mediocre/high level and I found stepping into 3d to be supereasy and my first models looked better than many peoples who've been doing only 3d for years.

They're the same skill in different mediums.
>>
I'm currently employed as a Env Artist and have previously worked as a Tech Artist for 3 years, and I can definitely say that having some traditional art skills will come in handy for you as artist and during your application process.

Now, don't stress about doing amazing colored pieces that look like AAA marketing art pieces. Just learn how to use basic shapes to construct more advanced shapes. Check drawabox.com.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.