[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm trying to make my first character model, following

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

File: fuckup.png (146KB, 887x638px) Image search: [Google]
fuckup.png
146KB, 887x638px
So I'm trying to make my first character model, following a tutorial. But as it's gone on, I've noticed I've got there weird sections where the model itself seems to grow past and obscure the edges and vertices, as opposed to the smooth model shown in the video I''m following. How do I fix that?
>>
ctrl+a then ctrl+n maybe?
>>
File: Feg.png (124KB, 891x696px) Image search: [Google]
Feg.png
124KB, 891x696px
>>528189
Didn't work, unfortunately.
>>
thats just what sub div does

waste of a thread.
>>
>>528193
But I didn't subdivide anything, and I'm still lost here. So the thread is still serving a purpose.
>>
File: Why.png (128KB, 886x670px) Image search: [Google]
Why.png
128KB, 886x670px
It's also doing this thing where the mesh doesn't fit the entire outline, curving inward around the ends.
>>
Is this bait?
I'll still bite, you have a subdivision modifier enabled, it does exactly what you're seeing. You can change its properties in the modifiers tab
>>
>>528200
Thank you very much, that got it. It's not bait, like I said, I'm just new, and trying to figure all this out.
>>
>>528201
Alrighty well then just as a tip, stay away from having n-gons in your model because it can also cause overlap and unnecessary creases and it won't subdivide properly. Also try to stick to 4 sided polygons
>>
File: this.png (41KB, 328x588px)
this.png
41KB, 328x588px
You have this one. Click the other. "Flat"
>>
>>528269
That's not gonna help, he has to clock objects the little triangle icon on the bar on the subdivide modifier to see it smoothly.
>>
in the panel on the right for your sub-d modifier, click the little icon that looks like a triangle of white dots
>>
>>528188
what's the tutorial you're seeing?
can you share it?
>>
>>528417
The problem has since been solved, but here, if you're interested in the tutorial itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlX-wVx-NNU
>>
File: zOIWalG.png (253KB, 1263x595px) Image search: [Google]
zOIWalG.png
253KB, 1263x595px
>>528188
>>528203
Subdividing gets rid of your ngons, however, they leave nasty shading issues and stuff like triangles. Learn how to perfect your low poly.
This thread is really helpful;
http://polycount.com/discussion/56014/how-the-f-do-i-model-this-reply-for-help-with-specific-shapes/

I've been on and off with blender for about 6 months and I'd have to say I'm alright but not yet proficient. Pic related is something I made in a few hours.
>>
>>528418
thanks, i am realy interested in the tutorial, i'm also learning to model
>>
>>528424
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll read this. I just started Blender a month or two ago, and have been doing tutorials to orient myself with it. It's fun so far!

>>528426
Glad to help! Here's a guy that has a bunch of tutorials, I haven't started on them yet, but they were recommended them, and plan on doing them later. Good luck on your learning.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCACrCnzOuKksKUYXwtA8bOA

If you're just beginning, I'd also recommend the very easy coffee cup tutorial to start you off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y__uzGKmxt8
>>
File: Subdiv.jpg (177KB, 1275x2127px) Image search: [Google]
Subdiv.jpg
177KB, 1275x2127px
>>528188
It's no problem, it's happening because you have a subdivision modifier, the finished model will show in gray but number of vertices you can modify will shoe in black lines.

If you want to edit in subdivision mode, just click the last button in the subdiv modifier
>>
>>528188
>>528424
Also one more thing.
I wouldn't recommend using the thing that name escapes me right now that molds your wireframe to the model. It sucks when you're extruding cause the subdivided model's vertex could be in one place and the actual model that's being subdivided is a bit father out.
>>
>>528417
>>528418
>>528426

You guys should really do all of the tutor4u videos and then you should do Blenderella if you want to do a figure.
Starting with an anime / stylistic figure is a mistake, there's always going to be shit you have to correct for because you're going off a crude drawing (as opposed to orthographic photos from 3d.sk, though you'll ALSO need to fix those)

Finally, tab out of Edit Mode to see what shit is actually going to look like. When you're in Edit Mode, Blender is trying to show you what the underlying geometry looks like AND Modifier effects, AND the viewport is trying to do it fast, all that together means some fudging on Blender's part and sometimes it gets it wrong (but only while in Edit Mode).
>>
>>528188
If it is the tutorial I think it is it took me 3 tries and i gave up after making the head and legs, pay attention to everything the guy does because he explains one thing and does 8 different things meanwhile, every little thing the guy does matters, you are better off pausing every 4 seconds and copying what he does than listening to him explain
>>
>>528623
It is, the guy is tedious as hell to follow. Having to pause the video every few seconds because I have to figure out what he just did is not fun. I think I'll take someone's advice and switch to a different tutorial series.
>>
>>528198
You have a subsurf on it. Nothing to worry about as that's what the modifier is supposed to d. You could disable the subsurf if you want or also set the view value to something higher than 1.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.