[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm new to baking normal's and need some direction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8

File: eDJW0gA.png (164KB, 1900x1024px) Image search: [Google]
eDJW0gA.png
164KB, 1900x1024px
I'm new to baking normal's and need some direction on how to fix this crap? It's a simple mesh and shouldn't be have this problem.

I have already done theses things.

1. Soften all edges for my low poly, Didn't work.
2. Average all my edges, Didn't work.
3. Added curve added like a guide suggested, Still didn't work.
4. Read just about every topic and guide that i can get my hands on, Still hasn't offered insight on how to fix this!!
5. Adjusted the cage for optimional ray distribution still hasn't worked.
6. Redone, Adjusted and created new models and UV's, nothing..

I have read the guides, Watch videos but none of them explain any techniques on how to fix this.

Could someone please tell me what's wrong!
>>
>>522729
Not a fucking clue, I've tried asking around for advice on normal's before and people just reply with nonsense.

No one here knows how normal's work and neither do i.
>>
File: 1455307474771.jpg (40KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
1455307474771.jpg
40KB, 620x413px
>not posting uvs
>>
>>522733
Think before you post.
>>
>>522733
Alright. Let me just redo the UV's and bake a new map.
>>
File: UV.png (29KB, 652x658px) Image search: [Google]
UV.png
29KB, 652x658px
>>522729
There you go.
>>
File: ROD-set2-low.png (64KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ROD-set2-low.png
64KB, 1024x1024px
>>522737
>>
File: Round.png (63KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Round.png
63KB, 1024x1024px
>>522738
>>
what the fuck are you doing?
are you baking a cylinder on a cylinder?

if you want people to help you give us an explanation on what it is you are trying to do
>>
>>522737
wat
>>
>>522740
Well, I'm baking a high poly cylinder onto a low poly cylinder as a test.

I'm trying to resolve wavy lines on test models before i go ahead and do more important things.
>>
>>522742
Those are some simple UV's he has there.
>>
>>522750
that's not possible because normal maps only project detail on the face of a mesh, the smoothing groups and shading remains the same, so its literally not possible.
>>
Show screen shots of these things:
The mesh providing the normals
The mesh you're trying to bake the normals on to
The settings you're using to bake the normals.

If memory serves there is a "smooth UVs" option in the transfer maps settings. You'll need to uncheck that because your mesh is too low poly for it to be helpful.
>>
>>522729

Normal maps don't effect the silhouette. The only way to bake a cleaner normal map is to add more edges to the cylinder.
>>
File: Object.png (192KB, 1813x1792px) Image search: [Google]
Object.png
192KB, 1813x1792px
>>522772
That's everything you wanted, right?

If that's not enough here's the model.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzdm5gy7aeModnZxcHFaNF9YT1k
>>
>>522875
>>522875
Huh, He supplied the model.
>>
File: normals_cyl.jpg (119KB, 1928x1048px) Image search: [Google]
normals_cyl.jpg
119KB, 1928x1048px
>>522729
>>522737
>>522738
>>522739
>>522875
Right OP have you looked at this?
http://polycount.com/discussion/81154/understanding-averaged-normals-and-ray-projection-who-put-waviness-in-my-normal-map

Also here's my version of your cyclinder. It doesn't complete eliminate waviness but it's better. Note how the end of the cyclinder is a cap so the normals are mapping across the bevel rather than in isolation. Same for the middle groove it needs to be part of the cyclinder body so you get the edge effect. I have mirrored my cyclinder on the Z axis so you can see more of the normal map detail. The red lines are the seams for the UV map.
>>
File: normals_cyl2.jpg (158KB, 1928x1048px) Image search: [Google]
normals_cyl2.jpg
158KB, 1928x1048px
>>522911
Extra shot so you can see the UV map.
>>
>>522875
yes it is. I'm not seeing the problem I was expecting but I think the problem might be simpler still.

Do you have "border edges" turned on in your display>polygon settings? If so then those thick green edges are breaks in geometry right? You'll want to merge those edges because the search envelope is going to search through one set of geo, reach the end, stop, then start again on the next one. And if they over lap then they just write over whatever was already there. With a continuous geometry the search will glide over those corners and write only the most appropriate normal information.

Another thing though is that you're baking the normals of a 16 sided cylinder onto an 8 sided cylinder. The best possible results will look identical to Normal>Smooth Normals. What are you trying to achieve with this project? Are you just practicing? Even if you are, try smoothing your input mesh a couple times and then fuck it up with the sculpt geometry tool. That will give you more interesting details to bake.
>>
>>522886
well it seems he really would like some help and isnt worried about anyone stealing his cylinders.
>>
>>522875
i DLed your model and i see that those are not geo border edges but UV border edges. Just remake your Uvs so that all the horizontal faces are one continuous shell and only the caps are separate like in >>522912
>>
>>522954
Why would they?
>>
>>522729
It looks like you need a cage, but i don't know how to make them.

So i can't tell you.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.