[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I buy a "professional" graphics card if I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Quadro_K600_F.png (100KB, 534x265px) Image search: [Google]
Quadro_K600_F.png
100KB, 534x265px
Should I buy a "professional" graphics card if I'm using software like Max and Zbrush and UE4? Are these cards aimed towards CAD and other technical programs? I'm never doing any real heavy lifting in max, no scene renders or anything, sometimes baking normals from a highpoly.

My old card (radeon 6870) died and I don't want to lower my graphics settings in the few games I play to add some rendering power that I won't use.
>>
>>514873

not a techfag, but a good gamer pc usually does the job
>>
>>514873
get a 750ti to hold you over until pascal
>>
>>514875
thanks. the old card did pretty much everything I wanted except zbrush would lag sometimes at higher poly. Are professional cards rubbish for games or just not as good as tailored gaming cards?
>>
>>514877
"professional" quadro cards are a scam
>>
>>514873

I don't zbrush uses a graphics card much. It's more processor based.
>>
No, don't bother with pro cards unless you're planning on using 10,000 of them to simulate nuclear explosions or something.

Just don't buy AMD, as far as 3d program developers are concerned AMD video cards don't exist.
>>
>>514900
unless the program supports opengl amd is mostly locked out yes, which is sad because for my experiences amd cards are a lot cheaper for the same performance
>>
>>514909
Lets see if DX12 and Vulcan change that. I hope that AMD catches up and we Artists can be brand agnostic again.
>>
File: 07-SNX-02.png (40KB, 580x1037px) Image search: [Google]
07-SNX-02.png
40KB, 580x1037px
>>514873
Short answer - no.

Long answer - Quadro cards usually differ in a few ways that most people will never make use of, even amongst professionals.

They feature ECC RAM, but that usually makes sense for people using CUDA for scientific simulation, where any amount of errors can make the whole thing worthless, but you're not going to care if one pixel on one of your rendered frames turns out the wrong color.

They feature 10-bit color output, but that's of questionable value outside of high-end photography, and you also need a very specific combination of hardware and software to enable it anyway.

They feature firmware and drivers optimized for properly rendering the viewport in CAD software, and this is the case where using a consumer card may give you single-digit fps vs smooth 60fps interactivity compared to a Quadro, but it's not with all such programs. NX for example will run like shit on anything that's not a pro GPU.

For 3D rendering the only things matter in a GPU is the number of cores, amount of RAM and whether it supports CUDA.
>>
>>514916
quadro cards are not "optimized for CAD viewports"...CAD is characterized by having thousands of objects in the scene at once, like in a car. Not being able to render this at interactive rates is a limitation of dx/gl in general and not magically CAD specific

Vulkan has specific examples showing that they can render scenes like this very quickly over old apis like dx, gl
>>
thanks all
>>
>>514900
My AMD card is rock solid for everything. Never had any problem, ever.

Radeon R9 M290x feg here.
>>
>>515003
I think he's referring to poor OpenCL support in most renderers, something like 80% of the most popular ones are all optimized or exclusive to CUDA, so you pretty much need an Nvidia card if you want to use any of them. For general modeling/animation use I think it doesn't matter.
>>
>>515006
To rub salt in the wound, some programs who actually use OpenCL run faster on an Nvidia GPU compared to otherwise similar performing AMD cards.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.