[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /3 i have a very serious life changing question that i need

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 24

hey /3 i have a very serious life changing question that i need your opinions on.
so im graduating from a shitty community college in few months and i wanna take this 3D game seriously, so i really want to continue my education at gnomon school of visual effects and just want to know if you guys think its worth it. i haven't heard anything but good things about it so far. i also been told that gnomon is a grate way to get your foot threw the doors when starting out because of all the contacts and connections you make.
also I watch thair live streams when they do these 4 hour long events where they bring top artists to teach stuff. they had the artists from Riot Games this week talking about importance of 2d in 3d

so is it worth attending?

i know a lot of people say "just be self thought its not that hard" but i kinda feel i'll develop faster and improve my skills better by having a professional point out all the mistakes i make and help me improve my skills face to face rather than just me do it myself and not know if its good or not other than people on the internet just saying "its shit"
>>
>>498095
It's one of the few CG related schools actually worth attending in the world. Nearly all others are just scams that churn out gamer kids who want to maek gaemez, usually staffed by former students are nobodys who never made it in the industry.

Gnomon is highly respected. Though they tend to focus more on film/production CG, not game modeling. But the skills still apply.
>>
>>498097
i think they teach a balance for video games and film and 3D for movies and games is divided by a thin line, if you're trained to create HD models for movies, modeling for games will be a breeze
>>
File: 1423016336189.jpg (72KB, 445x469px) Image search: [Google]
1423016336189.jpg
72KB, 445x469px
>>498095
The self-thought method is really good, but nothing will crank your skills and motivation like being surrounded by quality teachers and other artists. I'd say, if you have the money and you believe in yourself, go for it! >>498097 is right, Gnomon is worth it
>>
>>498097
Gnomon has been making a push for video games. Alex / Travis / Darrin were all film guys, and with all the teachers coming from film studios down in la they were all film. But with the film studios taking advantage of subsidies in other countries / ILM being in SF, many of the old teachers arent around and most of the guys in the area are games / commercial.

They also are mostly about concept / model / texture. Some light and comp, and not so much dynamic / TD. The dynamics is more so the lack of infrastructure. student shares are limited to 30gb, so you need to keep everything on a drive. Saving / loading sim data over a 30mb/s connection, and being able to render only on a single machine hurts.

A lot of what they teach can be learned through their DVDs. But you'll miss out on the connections.
>>
>>498106
how hard is it to get into gnomon tho. because thair dvds are for advanced/master levels and pictures of what they're doing in class and student works don't look beginer level shit
>>
>>498107
I got in years ago, but i think they are still stressing traditional art portfolio. They need to know you have a good eye, and are serious. They are expanding and such, so maybe they are more lax on the submission to get more money.

When i first applied i got rejected, but they were straight forward in what they were looking for from me. took some drawing classes, worked hard, and got in next term.
>>
>>498110

hmm. i might call them tomorrow and ask about what they need cuz their website just says 20 items.

my streghts are 3d cuz thats where i been focusing this past year. im a bit nervous about my 2d

also ik a lot of 3d artists that can 2d for shit. ik this a poor exuse for not being good at 3d but god damn i seen some shitty concept drawings from really good 3d artists on zbrush centeral and w/e
>>
>>498095
i would love to have a fellow /3/ user at gnomon.
im a year and a half through the program and i cant stress how fucking fun it is. everyday is as amazing as the one before it. the teachers are required to have 5 years experience and be working at a studio currently, so you know you are getting the most up to date information. I look back to when i got in, and my skills have gone through the roof

>demo from before gnomon ( all 3d in c4d )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMXzbF7lEWs

>demo after 8 months at gnomon (99% 3d in maya)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fl3WqkhWLM

>^ it hasnt been updated in like 6 months, so ive come a long way since even that most recent demo

we get special movie screenings and talks with the artists after we watch through the movie

>for example we got a whole rundown of big hero 6 and their whole process for just about everything in the movie.

>>498107
it isnt easy, but i got in because i was self taught, they seemed to be impressed by that. i was 18 at the time

>>498107
they are going away from wanting basically just traditional, they want to see that you can at least use photoshop and maybe some maya ( they are running into problems with people that just cant learn computer programs )

>>498111
let me see your shit bro, i might be able to help you out

>>498106
we have actually just got a games curriculum!!! we have a games club also where we make a video game every semester ( just started this semester soooo )

>>498104
i would have never gotten this far, this fast without gnomon.

>OP
you could always get the gnomon library and see how our classes are layed out ( the library dvds are only 5 weeks and very watered down vs. what we do in class )
>>
File: soldier.png (2MB, 2560x1080px) Image search: [Google]
soldier.png
2MB, 2560x1080px
>>498116
i did this last semester
>>
>>498111
2d was never my strength, but 2d and 3d kind of go hand in hand. Yes your mechanical skill might not really be there, due to lack of experience. But there is a great need to have an eye, and look at your work and say ok what's wrong with this piece. What do i need to do to get this asset / shot approved.

A lot of studios do not / will not babysit you. Yea you'll have meetings / pow wows and go over stuff, but your sup / director has a lot of other things to do / deal with and you cant be bothering them to point out what's wrong all the time. You can ask coworkers, but it gets kind of annoying.
>>
File: jpg cut.jpg (417KB, 1461x1460px) Image search: [Google]
jpg cut.jpg
417KB, 1461x1460px
>>498116
OP here
thx for the info bro

im also self thought. im 19 and been doing 3d for about a year, im not amazing but here is a sample of where my skills are at. my Photoshop skills are advanced (not to brag) i have 4 works at my college museum.

here is a little preview of my skills. do you think its enough to get in?

http://imgur.com/a/vZQf2
>>
>>498176
I would say yeah, if you have the money and dont mind spending an extra year at gnomon. Go for the 3 year program - the first year you learn all the 2d skills you will need. Anatomy, line weights, vehicle design ect ect.

If you think you are goid enough at 2d apply for the 2 year, alot cheeper since its a year less- its the last 2 years of the 3 year.

If you have the money for a car, get one. LA is a very spread out city. If you dont have a car you will end up apending 1k+ for rent in a shit hole. If you can drive 15 mins away you can get a nice place for less money.
>>
>>498176
Also if you are international you have to get a school visa and shit
>>
>>498186
how much is it for 2 years? like 65k? dont got that lying around. im gonna have to apply for a financial aid, scholarships since im graduating with 3.7 GPA and see if i can get a loan from the bank.

im in NY atm
>>
>>498189
65k + your apartment, transportation, food and shit
They have financial aid through the school
>>
>>498190
how much does the financial aid cover tho?

also arnt there any scolerships for this kind of careers, cuz ud think in Hollywood there would be some funded by the people in the film industry cuz people like that fresh out of college are cheap labor
>>
>>498191
>>498190
P.S. just did the math for financial aid that i get in NY and its about 9000$ per year 4500 per (semester)

and just checked the tuition and its only 28k per year so 56k for 2 years and 82k for 3 all without living expanses

so basically im looking to be in 30k debt after 2 year program.. which isnt so bad seeing as other big colleges like sva are like 60k per year alone
>>
Just started

http://gnomon-experience.blogspot.co.at/
>>
>>498192
Even 30k debt is a lot when you work in this industry. 3D artists don't exactly make the big bucks. You'll start out around 30-40k, and over the years, if you're decent, move up to the 50-70k range. And the most talented of artists may be paid 70-90k a year depending on the studio.
>>
>>498218
Lowest starting salery out of gnomon in the last 5 years was over 60k
>>
File: 2jsfax6[1].jpg (244KB, 1477x2067px) Image search: [Google]
2jsfax6[1].jpg
244KB, 1477x2067px
>>498234
one can only hope
>>
>>498218
i think the 3D artists get payed above 50k seeing as 3D is starting to take over a lot of other industry's. its already putting fabrication and make up artists out of work seeing as you can just 3D print almost anything including a cast for rubber masks. everything in the avengers was 3D printed or 3D casted (saw a documentary on it)

and you no longer need a job at a big AAA studio to make good money, we live in a age indi and self promotion where if you're decent, you can make a living by selling models on the internet. knew a guy from the cryengine forums that makes 450$ a day passive income from selling assets
>>
>>498234
Glassdoor says otherwise.
>>
>>498248
glassdoor says average is 60-70k

lowest being 40k
highest being - 90k

he did say...

>>498234
>Lowest starting salery out of gnomon

so im sure people with talant and with gnomon training/certeficate can find better jobs than the self trained or community college scrubs that make 40k
>>
>>498251
The lowest is definitely not 40k. Maybe if you're looking just at Blizzard.
Though GlassDoor isn't exactly highly comprehensive. It's a sample of 20 salaries, almost none of which are indie studios, which is more likely where one will end up, and the pays are on the lower end at.

36k is the average of the lowest pays, meaning there are pays even lower than 36k, which you can see as you browse down the list.
>>
>>498258
simple fix for that problem. git gud
there isn't anyone in this industry with amazing talent stuck working in a shitty low pay indie job.

thats the grate thing about 3D industry. if you're really good and you push yourself to higest standarts. by postng on zbrushcentral and other forums you are bound to end up with a job and salary you deserve. you can make a living from turbosquid alone if you produce some amazing assets for fair prices. saw a car on there that was worth 2000$ and it had been bought for 23 times. shits cash (literally) go on that site and search "alien" and sort by price. there are only a hand full of models worth a damn
>>
>>498248
>>498251
>>498258
>>498260
people out of gnomon have gotten TD jobs as their first.
we arn't normal " right out of college " 3d artists.
we have a 100% placement rate, we are also known for being ready for the speed and pressure of the industry.

check out our demo, its most of the work that we produced last year. it ranges from people in term 1-8

https://vimeo.com/86371041
>>
>>498271
whats a TD job?
>>
>>498275
technical director, or an art director.
its what most people in 3d actually want to end up doing, you basicly tell all the artists what to do
>>
>>498276
does gnomon have any programs set up to help students find a starting out job or after u graduate u on ur own.

cuz ik a lot of colleges have gilds setup where employers can go and look threw student for higer
>>
>>498271
>Sees vid
Welp, didnt want to feel like Ive progressed much anyway

But whats with all the Darius content, didnt notice any other model / thing get repeated much.
>>
>>498377
animation and rigging
>>
>>498359
there is a few people that will help you get a job. and all of your teachers are good references since they are all working.

but for the most part, if you apply somewhere you will get an interview out of our school
>>
>>498377
because who not?
>>
File: Capture.png (688B, 58x19px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
688B, 58x19px
>>498383
>>
>>498384
>>
File: 1430567630058.jpg (22KB, 533x477px) Image search: [Google]
1430567630058.jpg
22KB, 533x477px
>>498234
>60K

Even senior level artists aren't making that much unless they've found themselves with a yearly contract. At my last studio, everybody had Obama care, no medical.

>>498271
>100% placement rate

I HIGHLY doubt this. You're telling me EVERY Studio is taking in a student EVERY single year. 60 graduating students a year, over mid and senior level artists. And not counting other 3D schools.

>>498379
all of your teachers are good references since they are all working

Did it ever occur to you guys why these artist/teachers are commuting after work to teach/work another 2-3 hours? Because regardless of how much they are making, 3D is full of uncertainty. There is no long term and this is very telling.
>>
>>498397
>Did it ever occur to you guys why these artist/teachers are commuting after work to teach/work another 2-3 hours? Because regardless of how much they are making, 3D is full of uncertainty. There is no long term and this is very telling.

Many of the people teaching at Gnomon are doing it full-time actually. But yes, it's definitely a more secure job than actually working in the industry, and less stressful.
>>
>>498397

>Did it ever occur to you guys why these artist/teachers are commuting after work to teach/work another 2-3 hours? Because regardless of how much they are making, 3D is full of uncertainty. There is no long term and this is very telling.

nevil page thought at gnomon for about 2 semesters and hes considered one of the best creature designers of our time... he makes bank

a lot of amazing artist teach on the side for extra money that they most likely don't need. a lot of them even teach for free.
>>
>>498416
Yes, I understand that for some artists teaching is a way to continue earning some income in a less stressful environment. Neville Page is an exception, he's later in his career.

>a lot of them even teach for free.
REALLY?! Assuming it's for self promotion or as a favor, I can't picture anybody teaching an extended amount of time for free. Name some....
>>
>>498420
oh no, im not talking about teaching a whole class. i mean putting up free 4-6 hour long videos. yea it might be for self promotion but its still free knowlege to people who need it.
>>
>>498379
are there anything special u get access to while in gnomon. like a privet texture library. or tutorials or anything?
>>
>>498420
some of them just love to do it and other people use it as a way to get people interested in working at their studio when the student graduates.

there is only 1 full time teacher at gnomon, the rest are asked to be a teacher, they dont apply.
>>
>>498397
yeah, 60k. im sorry you worked at a shitty studio bro, my feels go out for you ( seriously )

>yes 100%, im not kidding.
anybody who can graduate gets a job, the only people that dont are the people that fail out.
>>
>>498405
see
>>498435

Stephen McClure is the only full time teacher. Some of the staff are also teachers but they can only teach like 3 classes since they are tied up with work.

all of the teachers ive had are working, except Stephen because he is gnomon full time ( he started when gnomon first offered classes )
>>
Believe it or not but where you went for schooling/training can benefit your portfolio, also benefit you in the end.

Aside from having a decent portfolio, where you went for school can give you an edge when it comes to hiring since people in the vfx industry talk about what school they went to from time to time, sometimes a school can have such a negative reputation that people may be tentative to hire you; but its usually obvious diploma mills that gets "blacklisted".

But yes OP, it is a good idea, Gnomon is a great school, you not only paying for the training, but you also pay for the networking. Most "self-taught" artist starting out have hard a time because most don't have clear cut network or contacts. Trust me, the social aspect of regular life is in the 3D industry. Don't be a dick, seriously, be chill. My friends spoke of this one time that their studio gave out a list of people that they could potential hire, and passed it around to see if any of the artists know them(work hegemony kinda trumps how good of an artist you are), and one name stuck out to several artist stating they they wouldn't wanna work with that guy, and they took his name off right then and there. But yea, there is a degree of nepotism in the industry.
>>
>>498416
Neville page is a cancer to this industry
>>
File: 1338601917420.jpg (33KB, 397x261px) Image search: [Google]
1338601917420.jpg
33KB, 397x261px
>>498258
mfw its my exact salary
>>
>>498467
fuck you i like his style.
>>
>>498439
guess i gotta keep my asshole level to a minimum.
cant let them know about my power level
>>
>>498521
>guess i gotta keep my asshole level to a minimum.

If you have a positive outlook on life and are a genuine joy to be around, people will literally hire you and keep you on JUST for that even if you aren't very good at your job.

And no, you can't fake it, you disingenuous fuck; everyone can see right through you, so just keep your stupid asshole mouth shut and try to make your portfolio good, and maybe learn a foreign language (like korean) for when you inevitably end up on a blacklist for being such an unpleasant human being. Maybe take some time solve some of the stupid crap in your life that's making you such a dickhead douchebag faggot.
>>
>>498533

>people will literally hire you and keep you on JUST for that even if you aren't very good at your job.

I wouldn't outright say that, you have to be at least competent and okay with you skills, but personality really does help. But yea, the industry is still pretty small by comparison. People know each other, there is a "blacklist", studio heads often ask other people who the hiree is; remember people having no info on you is a lot better than having negative info on you.

Oh and yes, you can fake it. Back when I was in school for it, people would buddy up to one of the better artists despite him being a cunt, only so they can get contacts in the industry since the chances of him getting hired is pretty high with who he knows(his mom knows people ;P ) and guess what later they too got hired, funny thing is once they got in the door they kept contact with the guy to an absolute minimum.
>>
>>498276
technical director and art director are two different things
>>
File: 1258350090502.jpg (83KB, 519x600px) Image search: [Google]
1258350090502.jpg
83KB, 519x600px
>>498436
>shitty studio

You mean industry....ha ha ha
>>
>>498541
ikik, i should have posted more to explain. i wanted to say people have gotten td and ad jobs right out of gnomon.

a guy in my term got offered to be a art director with a person who has raised over 10 million each for a few projects she has worked on. one example is hoodwinked.

his website
> http://artofbeat.com/
>>
File: 1429338950784.jpg (16KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
1429338950784.jpg
16KB, 210x240px
>>498550
im sorry man, are you going to be ok?
maybe you will get a better job once you get good.
i was offered to go work for blur as an intern 55k a year. but you know, i would rather finish school and make more... a lot more.
they told me that it was fine and they wanted me to contact them when I graduate.

gnomon has an internship program where you can take an internship instead of either the last term or the last two terms. I might do it, but im going to talk to an adviser and figure out what would be best.

average salery at blur what i do is around 90k, from what they told me.
>>
>>498428
tons, we get access to all the gnomon dvd's
teachers bring in their own references and shit
we have quixel mega scans
tons of student created libraries
clubs where we bring in speakers to show us how to do shit.
one of the classes you specifically just go on " field trips " to studios and get to ask questions to the artists and higher ups

friends that are on the same level as you in art
> ( none of this zbrush kitty, how do i do anything to industry standard kind of kids. i made a pretty statue with poly paint, auto uv and zremesher, HIRE ME!)

i can take a screenshot of the library folders when i go to school tomorrow. there's like 1tb ( last time i checked like 6 months ago) of just references and textures. lots of miltichannel 32k megascans take up that space
>>
File: 1443782741380.jpg (33KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1443782741380.jpg
33KB, 640x480px
>>498590
>tons, we get access to all the gnomon dvd's
....m8.... physical media is fucking long dead. Anyone and I mean anyone can get these shitty lectures on cgpersia in an afternoon for free,

>teachers bring in their own references and shit
if you want a teacher, watch some recent Pixar movie like BH6 and try to emulate a shot. Grade your work on your own. BOOM: you just saved $20,000 at gnomon

>we have quixel mega scans
Wow, such impress. Oh wait, I can get this on CGP as well

>clubs where we bring in speakers to show us how to do shit.
So you're actually paying for a club

>one of the classes you specifically just go on " field trips " to studios and get to ask questions to the artists and higher ups
Enjoy your shitty field trip while I set up a booth at PAX and other trade shows and get actual contacts

>i can take a screenshot of the library folders when i go to school tomorrow. there's like 1tb ( last time i checked like 6 months ago) of just references and textures
Frankly my dear, we don;t give a damn
>>
>>498397
>Even senior level artists aren't making that much unless they've found themselves with a yearly contract. At my last studio, everybody had Obama care, no medical.
according to 2014 industry survey the pay in us is 83k$ a year, and that the average, programmers averaged at 95k/year and even useless people like qna made 55k/year

so dunno about other countries, people living in us that did break in could easily cover the expenses
but still paying 60k for curse is a fucking joke, low end people who earn 20k could never afford it up front without going in debt or having rich parents

and dunno where you work, but even in my shithole of a country game dev is one of teh best paid jobs
>>
>>498612
What is the reasoning behind tripfagging on 3? Anyway filtered
>>
>>498612
>even in my shithole of a country game dev is one of teh best paid jobs
even shitty carpenters in construction building houses make more m8
>>
>>498533
i already speak 3 languages and my ass holesnes is frindly assholess not hateful, i cuss alot and call people faggots.
>>
>>498615
>even shitty carpenters in construction building houses make more m8

i fucking hope they do
any retard with one eye one hand and no legs can do 3d, but being a carpenter requires skill and years of practice and doing hard work

why the fuck someone sitting in a comfy room with one hand in his pants and another on his tablet should be paid more?
>>
>>498635

Maximum trolling: engage!
>>
>>498635
because we're not illegal immigrants and 3D requires more skill and talant than nailing a wood onto another wood... its so easy a mexican can do it, along with high school dropouts
>>
>>498636
wait saying that 3d work is worthless part of the industry business and should be paid so much is trolling?

you must be one entitled twat if you think people in video game development should be paid more than construction workers and especially specialized ones like carpenters or plumbers or electricians
anything over 50 is a fucking joke for the work people do in this industry, one of the reason game dvelopment is so expensive since people working in it are spoiled brats who think putting in one day of after hours before a deadline while getting paid 2x your average hourly pay is the end of the world

oh no i have to work on sunday, oh poor me, pls gib 120k salary

>>498637
>because we're not illegal immigrants
and that has to do with anything what?
>3D requires more skill and talant than nailing a wood onto another wood...
yeah i want to see you nail that plank
>its so easy a mexican can do it, along with high school dropouts
which is especially ironic considering this industry is filled with self thought school dropouts and half the work today gets outsourced to mexicans koreans and indians
>>
>>498635
with your logic... every office workers such as designers, programers, lawyers ect... and CEOs should be payed penuts and the mexicans that unload trucks and stock shelves should get payed 80k+ a year
>>
>>498639
>with your logic... every office workers such as designers, programers, lawyers ect... and CEOs should be payed penuts and the mexicans that unload trucks and stock shelves should get payed 80k+ a year

yeah, we would get more hard working people thats for sure
>>
>>498638
3D artist deserve the pay they get because the gaming and film industry is one of the biggest industry's out right now. its a multi-billion dollars a year industry where 26 million people play LoL daily just in america. thats more people than what 5-6 mainstream TV channels get combined. and the movie industry boxing in near billions on crappy movies with a lot of CGI i saw #D artist getting payed 60k+ a year is a fair price

but you get payed for what ammount of skill you have. if your trash than you deserve to get payed trash
>>
>>498640
ok, pay 3d artists coders minmume wage because they have it too god. so they quit and go find another job. discourage others from learning the skill. studios go out of busness cuz pay is shit. gg industry
>>
>>498641
>3D artist deserve the pay they get because the gaming and film industry is one of the biggest industry's out right now.
by that retarded logic anybody working in a bank should earn millions
> the gaming and film industry is one of the biggest
and construction industry IS one of the most important industries, without it or agriculture a country will collapse, but is sure as hell can do just fine if gaming or movie industry crashed now today and never recovered

and considering the average quality of your average movie or game we can safely say there is 0 correlation between skill and success, as proven by that shitty lol game
>ok, pay 3d artists coders minmume wage because they have it too god. so they quit and go find another job. discourage others from learning the skill. studios go out of busness cuz pay is shit. gg industry
oh jesus a baby lolses ones of its dozens of toys, truly what world to live in
>>
File: edgeville.jpg (40KB, 562x378px) Image search: [Google]
edgeville.jpg
40KB, 562x378px
>>498611
>>
>>498638
it may be filled with highschool dropouts, but barley any of them have jobs
>>
>>498640
work smarter not harder
>>
>>498648
or better yet, dont work at all
work is for faggots, become a gold digger and hook up with a wealthy old woman

thanks mate...
i fucking hate today kids
>>
>>498643
banks tellers dont make the money.
artists make the movies, its just getting their cut
>>
>>498649
why not!
>>
>>498643
>by that retarded logic anybody working in a bank should earn millions

the guy sitting behind the desk and taking/giving our money isnt part of the bank industry. the guys running the money up top are and they make the millions rightful so. a damn machine can do the job of a bank teller and they already do.

without 3D artist there is no movie or video game or TV show or literally anything that evolves computer graphics. are you that retarded?
>>
>>498638

Skilled labor deserves high pay. news at 11.

Only a twat/troll would state something that takes years of study to be good at isn't skilled work. Anyone can do construction work, doing it WELL is another thing entirely, no different then art.
>>
File: 1443782674660.jpg (80KB, 1140x475px) Image search: [Google]
1443782674660.jpg
80KB, 1140x475px
ITT: Newfags replying to a tripfag.

Get lives, faggots. God dam
>>
File: image.jpg (122KB, 776x678px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122KB, 776x678px
>>498612
>even useless people like qna made 55k/year
>>
>>498666
what the fuck
>>
>>498643
>oh jesus a baby lolses ones of its dozens of toys, truly what world to live in
>>
>>498651
>>498655
yeah Bill the uv mapper and John the light stand guy truly make those 100 mln movies and games come together

and i bet those bank ceos do all the work ...

>without 3D artist there is no movie or video game or TV show or literally anything that evolves computer graphics
who gives a shit about your video games
without construction workers you will be sitting in wooden shack and shitting in a bucket

>>498656
and any kid with blender can do 3d art
your point?
i didnt say being a good artists dosnt take years of practice and knowledge, but what i did say is that this industry is insanely overpaid,

same with movie industry, dont even get me started
>>
>>498719
>who gives a shit about your video games

we're talking about the video game industry you fucking retard, you know that one form of media that requires artists to even exists?.... you're right. who gives a fuck about the people who make it happen, we should higer carpenters to make video games because "they're hard workers"

fucking retard
>>
>>498719
>without construction workers you will be sitting in wooden shack and shitting in a bucket

No, without them I'd build it my self. I know several people that aren't 'pro carpenters' that built their own houses from scratch. They didn't want to pay the extra money for someone else to do it, so over a few years they learned it themselves and did it themselves. The biggest bitch is actually dealing with all the permits (some counties are better about this then others).
>>
Neat.
>>
>>498688
>>498719
>>498649
>>498643
>>498640
>>498638
>>498635
>>498611

/3/ got invaded by some fucking retards.
>>
>>498744
My dumbass highschool dropout 20 year old cousin and her pot head even-more-retarded 22 year old boyfriend did just this. They had a sparky friend do the wiring. Only contractors they needed were gas / water etc.
they built it over 2 years and it looks like any other cheap suburban modern house.
>>
>>498685
i also kekaroonied
>>
>>498749
to be fair thats the equivalent of a call of duty intro maker.

but people who do bridges and skyscrapers or insane architecture would be what we consider professionals
>>
>>498097
are there any others? I'm at Drexel learning about 3D art for games.
>>
>>498758
vancoover film school puts out some good stuff

look through the kids who were winners of the autodesk cg student competition

http://www.cgstudentawards.com/results
>>
>>498758
if this gives you a good idea
>>
>>498766
Anything below 12 is trash cause 13 is certified trash that all potential students should avoid.
>>
bump to see what else people think of gnomon
>>
does gnomon not want any new students cuz i emailed them like twice and signed a form to talk to a adviser and no one bothered to contact me
>>
>>500484

Show us your work, they might just be ignoring you because you're below their entry level quality threshold.
>>
>>500494
didn't even show them anything yet, just want to talk to someone get few questions answered. i posted few stuff here >>498176

and even if im not qualified. they can just say "improve ur work and try again" not ignore
>>
>>500495
>didn't even show them anything yet

Well that's why you haven't heard anything.

You are just a single voice in an ocean of voices trying to get in. They have no reason to elevate you above the the rest.

>and even if im not qualified. they can just say "improve ur work and try again" not ignore

Welcome to the world you want to be a part of. If that bothers you then you might want to reconsider right now.
>>
>>500497
>Well that's why you haven't heard anything.
>You are just a single voice in an ocean of voices trying to get in. They have no reason to elevate you above the the rest.

you're a fucking idiot. this is a school not a job opening.
the advisers are there to talk to you potential students. for them to look at your work it costs 85$ so they can decided if you're fit to attend the school.

> You are just a single voice in an ocean of voices trying to get in

there isnt an ocean of students lined up for gnomon.

i can email Harvard or Yale right now and get a call back from an someone
>>
File: retard+alert[1].jpg (32KB, 493x342px) Image search: [Google]
retard+alert[1].jpg
32KB, 493x342px
>>500497
>>didn't even show them anything yet
>Well that's why you haven't heard anything.

you never been to college have you? the advisers are payed to talk to students who want to attend the school.how the fuck else are you spose to know more information about the said school. you literally can't even send them any work when you're filling out a application to talk to an adviser. and like >>500499 said. you have to pay them 100$ for them to even look at your work
>>
>>500484
just call them, who did you contact. person might be out of the office
>>
File: ss+(2015-11-03+at+12.31.39).png (24KB, 1170x394px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-11-03+at+12.31.39).png
24KB, 1170x394px
>>500547
didn't email anyone specifically. emailed their advisers office once like 3 weeks ago. once the other day than filed out the form on their site to talk to someone. how the fuck am i gonna sign up to the program if i cant talk to anyone
>>
>>500552

Protip: There's a fucking phone number on the screenshot you posted.

Show some initiative, call them. You've wasted 3 weeks waiting when you could have just dialed that fucking number.
>>
>>500552
For a good school, they do have incompetent staff members. They used to have a student advisor named Castro and she had the worst short term memory. You would talk to her one day and a few days later have zero recollection. Didn't return calls, never at the office. I couldn't confirm my classes until the week before the semester was to start.
>>
>>500556
they dont always make the schedule more than a week out.
some of the teachers haven't confirmed, since they dont know if they can teach. it sucks, but its the best and the worst thing that all the teachers are working.

i get my schedule 2 weeks before class, max.
even after that, classes can change in week 1.

i always talk to Brian Bradford or Paullina Weeks
>>
>>500556
idk. everyone says the help desk and the offices are amazing from what i hear
>>
>>500561
>>500571
Well, I only took a few extended classes. Incompetent was alittle harsh, they're definitely under staffed.
>>
File: ss+(2015-11-03+at+04.13.52).png (17KB, 1447x266px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-11-03+at+04.13.52).png
17KB, 1447x266px
ok i legit think gnomon is fucking with me ...

>it was grate meeting you last week

wtf is she talking about. i never been to LA in my life, i literally live on the other side of the country.

>high school summer camp

i graduated from high school 4 years ago...
>>
>>500596
How many times do people have to say to just call them and get it figured out. Obiously something went wrong. You are wasting time by sitting here.
>>
>>500596

You need to call them ASAP.
>>
>>500596

Well that's why they haven't contacted you. They thought they were meeting you.
>>
>>500596

Your evil twin has taken your spot, if you ever meet him you HAVE to KILL him.
>>
>>500596
>gnomon booth at cash for college
fucking what
>>
>>500622
yea i just ignored that part cuz i didn't want to get into it
>>
File: 1436359033978.jpg (73KB, 332x333px) Image search: [Google]
1436359033978.jpg
73KB, 332x333px
>>500596
>>500590
Ok, I take it back. They are incompetent. lol
Thread posts: 118
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.