[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whenever the mind becomes uncomfortable, is the best time to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 13

Whenever the mind becomes uncomfortable, is the best time to meditate.
It gives you an oppurtunity to get really intimate with yourself. So when the mind becomes disturbed or uncomfortable first thank your mind for giving you this oppurtunity and embrace the situation with kindness and love. Your enemies (disturbing emotions) are your greatest helpers, get too know them. Ask yourself with pure brutal honesty why the disturbance has arisen. Look at it directly and clearly. Dissect it without fear. When your disturbing thought or negative emotion starts to look at itself, it becomes ashamed of itself and naturally without much effort dissolve back into the mind.
Adopt the principle of non-violence towards your own thoughts. If you fight them with hatred they start to fight back and your mind becomes even more distracted and anxious; like a self-enforcing negative feedback loop.

There are thousends of meditation techniques but all of them can be labeled as either Samadhi or Vipassana.

Samadhi consists mainly of 2 things:
*Focus (simply putting your attention on the object of meditation)
*Concentration (holding your focus for a long period of time and not being distracted)
*Alertness (not being too dull or tired, and not being too excited or restless)
To reach perfect you must not try not to think, nor must you no try to think. It should be effortless.
If you try not to think, you fail.
If you try not not to think, you fail.
The Middle Way is somewhere in between. Dont let you mind become too tight, but also dont let it be too loose.
Also "not thinking" is a misnomer since the flow of thoughts cant really be stopped like that. I think "non-thinking" is more accurate.
>>
File: testing.jpg (40KB, 558x517px) Image search: [Google]
testing.jpg
40KB, 558x517px
>>18576977
Vipassana is analytical meditation. It is asking the right questions to yourself, contemplating them and understanding nature of mind. Vipassana can not work effectively without Samadhi. Vipassana consists of the following things:
*Non-judging: Not judging your answers as good or bad
*Non-selfishness: Not being too caught up in your thoughts and looking at your answers with a sense of distance.

Meditation is only dangerous if you put too much importance on either Samadhi or Vipassana or have attachment for it.
If you use Samadhi without Vipassana you become too self-absorbed and dull witted.
If you use Vipassana without Samadhi your mind becomes unstable and you will feel anxiety.
The 2 should contemplate each other.

Buddha called his teaching The Great Middle Way, away from all extremes. So always seek the balance in everything you do. It is usually better if you have your eyes open during meditation. Then you wont become too disconnected or disengaged from the world. However you must also not become too engaged in the world otherwise you become distracted.
>>
Is that you again? "The OP"?
>>
File: 112199471895_1.jpg (66KB, 534x800px) Image search: [Google]
112199471895_1.jpg
66KB, 534x800px
>>18576993
Remember that today is the 29th.

My precious Guru gave no permission yet to go on retreat. He gave me new instructions to practice. Today I arrived home and expect to finish them in about 2~3 months or so.
After that I will return again to ask for permission.

So I thought I would take the oppurtunity see how things are going in here, altough I dont have too much time to hang around.
>>
File: 1452638711073.jpg (118KB, 736x960px)
1452638711073.jpg
118KB, 736x960px
Namaste.
>>
File: b8804-15.jpg (136KB, 850x789px) Image search: [Google]
b8804-15.jpg
136KB, 850x789px
>>18577108
ཎམོ་! བཀྲ་ཤིས་བདེ་ལེགས :)

ཨོཾ
ཨ་
ཧཱུྃ
>>
Can you please recommend a basic and useful meditation exercise to do alone?

Something that can be done by anybody, not asking for initiation or anything, just to begin?

Thank
>>
>>18576977
I sometimes get that uncomfortable feeling browsing this board for a while...lol

How coincidental that you'd post this today.
>>
Can meditation cure
>solipsism OCD
>mind-reading OCD
>rumination over any improvable constant like the ones above OCD
>>
Thanks for posting this. It helped clear up/reinforce some things for me, and anything to encourage more people to meditate is good.

>>18577418
You should feel out different practices to see what works for you, but I am a huge fan of Trataka. Draw a small dot on a piece of paper, tape it to the wall, get into a comfortable position with your back straight, and pour all of your focus into the dot. Breathe in slowly, hold it, breathe out slower than you breathe in.

You're going to suck at first. You're going to be so bad at it that you think something is wrong with you. This happens to everybody. Practice daily, even if only for a few minutes, and you'll get better. It helps if you keep telling yourself you enjoy it, as well. Build up a craving until you've formed a habit, then get rid of the craving and allow the mindless habit to persist until the whole thing is just a blase fact of life for you. Best of luck to you.
>>
>>18577469
Thank you
>>
File: a field.jpg (45KB, 460x491px) Image search: [Google]
a field.jpg
45KB, 460x491px
>>18577457
Research mindfulness.
You can work it in throughout the day and/or as a meditation exercise, whatever works better for you. The important part is to practice, do it every day.

You can't control your thoughts or your feelings, but you can control your reactions. Our thoughts are a roaring river beside us; when worries and upsetting thoughts float by, most people try to grab it and drown. Mindfulness is learning to sit on the bank and watch the river flow.

t. ocdfag
>>
>>18577457

Research benzos brah. Some xan and lean and youll be moving too slow to care about your OCD.
>>
>>18577418
Sit down (ayawesha position).
>put up candle in front of you
>breath in / exhale very slowly 25 times
>imagine being in a forest with a very rare fungi facing you
>repeat inhale/exhale
>complete around 50 cycles
>do this for 20 years
>4th eye opens
>>
I STRONGLY recommend that you all read Undoing Yourself by Chris Hyatt if you haven't already. It has very good commentary on the why's and how's of meditation.
>>
I found meditation to be bullshit. Just be yourself hahahaha
>>
File: om-ah-hum-Buddhism.jpg (45KB, 650x1679px) Image search: [Google]
om-ah-hum-Buddhism.jpg
45KB, 650x1679px
OP here.

>>18577457
I also have OCD. In my early teenage years it used to be very very bad. I still have it today, but it has become a minor thing.
OCD however can also be a very positive force. Whenever I notice myself doing bad OCD actions I say a simple mantra. Usually "Om Mani Peme Hum" or "Om Vajrasattva Hum". Then I stop doing the bad action. When I first started doing it, it didn't work, but as I got more awareness it became more effective. Now my OCD actually helps me chant mantras all day long. Internally when I am with people and out loud when I am alone. It gives me great joy. Whenever I see another being from animals, and insects, to human beings I instantly say "Om Mani Peme Hum" and wish that being hapiness. Now it has become automatic and effortless. I dont even have to think about it anymore.
Before eating any food I say the mantra "Om Ah Hung Bodhi Soha" to feel gratitude and thank the beings who where involved in producing that food. Everytime after taking a shit I say "Shri Heruka" to purify the feces and offer it to the hungry ghosts so that even when doing something as mundane as shitting I can help sentient beings and feel like I am not wasting my time.
I personally think jogging is an extremely boring thing to do, but I need to do it anyway for my health. So during that time I constantly chant "Namo Amituofo" to keep my mind busy, so that I wont become bored. Whenever I have to wait for something like traffic lights or a friend who is late I chant "Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate Bodhi Soha" so that makes my time useful for contemplating Prajnaparamita(Perfection of wisdom like non-duality). Whenever I feel sad, unmotivated, discouraged, or a bit down I chant "Om Ah Hung Vajra Guru Pema Siddhi Hung" or "Om Ah Guru Hassa Vajra Hung" then I get inspired to do whatever I need to do.
>>
File: omahhum.jpg (16KB, 338x567px) Image search: [Google]
omahhum.jpg
16KB, 338x567px
>>18578850
If I see a beautiful woman then sometimes I get horny and feel the urge to masturbate, then I say "Om Tara Tuttare Ture Soha" and the urges dissapear again. Once in a while I feel the urge to indulge in eating candy or unhealthy food and I say "Om Muni Muni Mahamuni Shakyamuni Soha" and stop the urges.
When I wake up and go to sleep I say "Buddham Saranam Gachami, Dhammam Saranam Gachami, Sangham Saranam Gachami" to start and finish my day with a positive attitude.

Because I am Buddhist I use the Sanskrit mantras, but if you are not a Buddhist you can simply make up your own mantras and see if it works, or if you are a Christian you could chant the Jesus Prayer. Be creative with your practice!

There used to be a monk (forgot name) who was an abbot of a big monestary. This monk however had bipolar disorder and used to get severely depressed once a month or so throughout his life. Actually the reason why he became a monk was because he thought it would cure him and make the depressions dissapear; they never did though... but one day his student came to him who also had bipolar disorder and during one of his depressions he told the abbot how he felt. The the abbot started laughing and said "Isn't it great!? Altough I have been meditating for over 45 years I still become depressed about once a month."
The student was completely baffled, and confused, so he asked for clarification.
The abbot then said: "The depression comes and goes just like everything else; it's impermanent like a wave. I know the behaviour of my mind very well. Whenever the depression arises I know I become irritable so I retreat in solitude so I can not hurt others. I also know that when I am in that state I make wrong decisions that could ruin my life, so I refrain from making any quick decisions.
>>
File: OmAhHum2.jpg (121KB, 619x1619px) Image search: [Google]
OmAhHum2.jpg
121KB, 619x1619px
>>18578854
When I am depressed in solitude I feel great suffering, this allows me to relate with the suffering of other beings and gives me more motivation to help others and be more compassionate. Also in my solitude I have enough time to write, make art, and meditate; it is true! My greatest works and meditation instructions I have made during my depressions".

If you can practically use the power of your negative habits and transform them into positive habits then you are truely practicisng non-duality and pacifying demons to become your personal protectors or gaurdians.

>>18577469
Literally one-pointed concentration very cool.
>>18577515
Interesting analogy, I like it.

>>18577525
I do not reccomend anyone taking drugs, if its not neccesery. It just solving one problem with a new problem.

>>18578174
No attachments at all. Very good.

>>18577418
The new instructions I have received from my Guru is non-meditation. Its the most profound and simplest meditation there is, but you want to do
>>18577469
>>18577515
first before doing the below instructions. Or you could just simply focus on the breath and count it.

When mind meditates on mind.
Ultimate reality is seen with naked awareness and negative emotions melt away like snow in the sun.
>>
File: 507771.jpg (72KB, 359x361px) Image search: [Google]
507771.jpg
72KB, 359x361px
>>18578912

Concentrate and focus on space itself. There is nothing more that you need to do.
Mind is like space.
Can you see or hear space? No.
Can you touch space? No.
Can you taste space? No.
Does space have a location? No.
Does space have form? No.
Does space have color? No.
Does space have bounderies or limits? No.
Does space change over time? No.
Can you control space? No.
Is space empty? Yes.
In space there is nothing to focus on.
What is awareness?
It is that wich is aware of nothing, or awareness of awareness itself.
Meditation is pointless. Mind has always been naturally clear since the start. Focus on this and be free from hope and fear.
When you have attained nothing, you have attained correct meditation.
Meditation doesn't make any sense; forget about meditation and feel natural joy.
Do not practice meditation, when you come to nothing you come to Buddha.
Rest in your own naked awareness and do not be concerned with what you are doing.
With nothing to change or to perfect, the world appears as Nirvana.
All other meditations, no matter how advance it may appear are merely a training in non-meditation.

Whatever appears to mind, is mind.
What can be said of mind?
That it's devoid of a self-nature. (That it is devoid of an identity of its own)
Therefore helping others unselfishly,
even at the cost of your own life, shouldn't be a problem.
These are The Lord Buddha's teachings.
Nothing more can be said then this.

Saying more would merely light up the teachings from different angles.
Or distort and obscure it to fuel the thoughts of selfishness.

OM AH VAJRASATRVA HUNG!
>>
This thread deserves a bump.
>>
bumpy bump bump
>>
>>18582281
Dont worry my friend. The more depressed someone is, the more potential they have for Buddhahood.

The difference between mud and gold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FivViP4aXWw

Be happy that you are mud and not gold.

Buddhists always say "destroy ego". But the ego can not be destroyed, only transformed. Transformation is nothing more then the destruction of the old and replaced by something new.
The ego of Buddha is infinite and limitless, but it has been transformed for the benefit of oneself and others.
Use the great power of your ego to help yourself and others to become happy.
Knowing that your ego has boundless potential is the truth of Buddhanature. Everyone has Buddha inside them, and everyone has the potential to become Buddha. Right now maybe your inner Buddha is like a baby or a small child. You just need to give it some love and nurture him or her, so it can mature into a beautiful flower.

No matter how worse things get. Be aware that everything is impermanent. You situation will change.
>>
>>18583632
>>9034896
>>>/lit/9034896
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.